• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

jariw

That level is really easy if you just ignore the other Toads, throw the key at the first Magikoopa from the ledge next to the propeller platform (if you miss, don't worry; the key respawns), and then go to the top and defeat the other two Magikoopa with the turnips. Then just go back and actually collect everything/gather the Toads.

The first part of this can be skipped. Go directly up.

brau

We still don't know. I wish people would read the thread a bit lol. I feel like I'm answering this question every two days.

Well.. as far as i have played and used the amiibo, nothing has happened. So they will update them in at a later time. Thats why i said there is nothing for them yet. I do read the thread you know.

rawktapus

So is this basically a game made up entirely of the special Toad stages in Super Mario World 3D?

For the most part, the scale is bigger, and there's more variety in what's expected of you in each level, but it's all built off the core ideas introduced in 3D World's bonus levels

bart64

Banned
Yeah, it would be nice if the camera would zoom exactly to where I need it. Also, to rotate automatically so that I can always see my character. Finally, I would like to press a button that would make we walk directly to the next diamond while avoiding all of the enemies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, we really need a middle zoom. Default is way too zoomed out and tiny and zoom is way too close to be able to tell your distance from things. It should be a slider not a toggle.

Blues1990

I was able to complete the game at 100%. My current state of mind/depression hasn't improved, but I did enjoy the game for what it's worth.

Gsnap

Yeah, it would be nice if the camera would zoom exactly to where I need it. Also, to rotate automatically so that I can always see my character. Finally, I would like to press a button that would make we walk directly to the next diamond while avoiding all of the enemies.

Not exactly how I'd put it, but I agree with you.

The entire point of the game is to have to keep moving the camera around. The game essentially uses the camera to focus on its two "characters" Captain Toad, and the level itself.

It seems to me like you can never get the "perfect camera angle" because that's the whole point. Being able to see one thing naturally obscures something else. It's how the game hides things like golden mushrooms and other things like that. Would a middle level of zoom ruin this? I don't know. Possibly. But the middle level of zoom certainly isn't needed. It's not actually a detriment that the game doesn't have it since all challenges can be tackled adequately without it.

I finally 100%'d the game earlier. If there's one thing I can't complain about, it's the graphics. This game is no slouch in that department, lemme tell ya.

oJOZE4N.jpg

C4I3pVE.jpg

pkbgSIl.jpg

noIA8Mw.jpg

zroid

Banned
you know I never really thought about it before but maybe part of why I preferred to play on the GamePad screen is because of the camera.

Well I'm finished. Fuck Mummy Maze Me Forever. I not going to dedicate hours of my time to beat one level that's partly luck-base. Still got all gems and bonus objectives and it was a solid 19 hours of playtime. Really wonderful game.

I just wish there were more double cherry and pickaxe levels, powerups in general. When playing Shadow Alley all I could think was why wasn't there a Piranha plant Level. Also liked the Toad Brigade and would have loved to see them in level with more dynamic gameplay.

I was able to complete the game at 100%. My current state of mind/depression hasn't improved, but I did enjoy the game for what it's worth.

I think it's still good to play depressed because there's not a lot of stress from a lot of things to do or enemies. Levels are very short and have clear objectives. It's very bright and cheerful. Still depressed but I couldn't wait for Amiibo support to finish the game.

Well I'm finished. Fuck Mummy Maze Me Forever. I not going to dedicate hours of my time to beat one level that's partly luck-base. Still got all gems and bonus objectives and it was a solid 19 hours of playtime. Really wonderful game.

Yeah, Mummy-Me Maze Forever pisses me off. Like you said, there's quite a bit of luck that goes into having a successful run. If you ever decide to have another go at it, I'd highly recommend playing with the Gamepad only, because you need to tap enemies like Shy Guys and Fire Plants in order to stun and therefore avoid them, and doing so while playing on a TV screen at the same time is just way too hard to manage. Playing with just the Gamepad makes tapping those enemies way easier.

I just wish there were more double cherry and pickaxe levels, powerups in general.

Agreed! That's one area in which the game was sorely lacking. The Double Cherry levels were absolutely amazing, and it's a real shame that there weren't more of them. I feel like they really went lazy on the power-ups all together.

delaneya

I will be honest. I bought it and played half and hour and not comeback to it. There is no reason for this apart from just too many games and not enough time.

This weekend I am on my own so I am going to sit down and try and finish it within the weekend. If possible.

I feel bad because I have not played much of it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I finished the Episode 1, and was disappointed by seeing the credits so early!
then episode 2 started and it is clear from the title screen that there will be also an Episode 3.
Game is charming and lovely, I'm really liking it. But I'd add the "mid-zoom" option, next time.
Bosses are already classics...!

tassletine

Such a great game to relax to. Like a light crossword puzzle. Not too hard, not too easy. Just right and (I would think) great for kids -- teaching spatial awareness etc.
I wasn't a massive fan of the levels in 3D world but these are so much better.

And I have to say, if the WiiU is supposedly on par than last gen hardware then most developers should be ashamed of not utilising the hardware to it's full potential. The graphics on this game are of such high fidelity they put most current gen games to shame. I don't really care that they're made out of fairly simple blocks. The art direction and taste carry it through. It's stunning.

jariw

One of the great things about this game is the different walking speeds with the analog stick. There seem to be at least 4 different speeds, without using the run button? (Compared to 3D World that only seems to have 2 walking speeds+run button.) The different speeds make it much easier to accurately position Captain Toad.

Yeah, Mummy-Me Maze Forever pisses me off. Like you said, there's quite a bit of luck that goes into having a successful run. If you ever decide to have another go at it, I'd highly recommend playing with the Gamepad only, because you need to tap enemies like Shy Guys and Fire Plants in order to stun and therefore avoid them, and doing so while playing on a TV screen at the same time is just way too hard to manage. Playing with just the Gamepad makes tapping those enemies way easier.

I found looking at the TV easier, as it's clearer, but you don't need to literally tap enemies; you can swipe the touch screen, and since you can see a blue marker where you're touching, it's easy to quickly locate the enemy and swipe back and forth to keep it stunned while you walk past. Just make sure you put the camera in a suitable position before you get too close.

When I got the hang of it, I found the rooms with Shy Guys or Fire Piranha Plants easy to deal with.

The rooms that gave me the most trouble were ones with Boos, since they can go through walls and block you into a dead end if you're unlucky.

And I have to say, if the WiiU is supposedly on par than last gen hardware then most developers should be ashamed of not utilising the hardware to it's full potential. The graphics on this game are of such high fidelity they put most current gen games to shame. I don't really care that they're made out of fairly simple blocks. The art direction and taste carry it through. It's stunning.
Amen.

I Just finished the main story it was great

what a great game that ending
lol 3D world prequel
I love that I got to play as my favorite Nintendo Character Toadette

NEED more speed levels & pipe maze levels

So in my Game Design class I was asked what games I recently played. I said Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and was greeted to crickets and some guy saying "what?"

The world is a cruel place.

So in my Game Design class I was asked what games I recently played. I said Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and was greeted to crickets and some guy saying "what?"

...A video game design class that doesn't have the slightest clue as to whats going on with the best video game developer/publisher in the world? lol.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

The world is a cruel ignorant place.
Fixed that for you.

Roo

Like ArkhamFantasy said, a game design class that does not know the lastest games of one of developers with the finest game design philosophies?

lol
good luck with that.

Pila

I force myself to play it for an hour max, I don't want it to end!

Man I love this studio... guys, don't skip it if you like EAD Tokyo but you're not a puzzle fan. It's very good, get it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's also ranking #1 at the DE and PL eStores, and #2 in UK.

Shy

i got this game yesterday and i love it, the game is so damm charming from that very first intro level.
i've finished toad and have just started Toadette's story, and i can already tell it's gonna get hard. lol

Top Bottom