• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just know I'm going to be furious once Nintendo starts locking meaningful content behind Amiibos. I have no interest whatsoever in acquiring that junk.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just know I'm going to be furious once Nintendo starts locking meaningful content behind Amiibos. I have no interest whatsoever in acquiring that junk.
This shit was unacceptable when they used eReader cards for the GBA port of SMB3 to lock stuff away that was easily accessible in the ports of the other games. They'd better have learned their lesson. Bullshit ruined the one SMB port I was waiting for.

kunonabi

Toad Treasure Tracker is so modular, simple to make a level in, and as it's already at a cheap price, I would have thought that they would have made a new level for every Amiibo available.

Levels based on Duck Hunt, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Pac Man, Sonic etc. I'd say the same for other puzzley games like Pushmo World.

Yeah this is what I was hoping for. Replaying the same stages looking for a stickers to get another set of sparkles on the episode select screen isn't really that exciting.

jariw

They literally said it adds a new mode where you hunt pixel toads. There's nothing to assume, really.

Ah, you're right. I just discovered that the European version of the recent Direct clearly says a new mode. Trinen in the US version (that I listened to) wasn't that clear.

maxcriden

I could not possibly agree any more. I wouldn't call it junk, per se, because although it's not my thing I understand people get a lot of enjoyment from the figures, but I personally have no interest in accumulating additional physical stuff like that.

This shit was unacceptable when they used eReader cards for the GBA port of SMB3 to lock stuff away that was easily accessible in the ports of the other games. They'd better have learned their lesson. Bullshit ruined the one SMB port I was waiting for.

I agree with you that the extra levels in SMB3 should not have been locked behind eReader functionality, but what other ports allowed you access to these levels or something similar? I'm not sure I understand.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Seems like a sneaky new way for them to rake in cash and cut out content.

Although it technically isn't DLC, the overall concept is disturbingly similar. I don't like it one bit.

Smellycat

I am currently playing this game right now, and having fun with it. But for some reason it seems to me like this was never supposed to be released as a standalone game, but as dlc for Super Mario 3D World. The fact that there are "episodes" and end credits after each one, and other things make me feel like Nintendo decided to package it separately, since there are lots of levels.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I am currently playing this game right now, and having fun with it. But for some reason it seems to me like this was never supposed to be released as a standalone game, but as dlc for Super Mario 3D World. The fact that there are "episodes" and end credits after each one, and other things make me feel like Nintendo decided to package it separately, since there are lots of levels.
I'm sure they could have removed the credits after each book in less than an hour of development time, QA-ing included.

The credits are there to give the false sense of accomplishment that most other Mario games give you with the 'you've beaten Bowser' credits. Remember those games are also targeted at people who might not have the average gamer's time resources to pour into a game.

Vena

In as of so far we've dodged the bullet but I agree that I don't want genuine content locked away like that. Skins, cheat power-ups or tweaks, or even the Fire Emblem in STEAM do not bother me as they are entirely tertiary (though I do hope we don't start losing general unlocks in games), but I don't want to buy a Metroid and then need Samus to play as Samus.

That said, I still have no idea what the amiibo in this game does. Does the Toad hunt work off the same exact levels... just having you hunt pixel Toad's rather than Luigi's?

jariw

From all I've read about the development of this game, it was intended as a separate game from the start. Each credit roll reflect the book content, so it's more to give a feeling of closure of each book. Playing the books in order and then playing the Bonus book makes the whole concept very clear IMO, specially what happens
after the book 3 credits
. I also think that the Nintendo EADs usually put the framework around the game late in the development process.

At the investor meeting in October, Miyamoto said that there will be other kind of spin-off games like this one (=less known characters, shorter development cycles, still fun to play) in the future. Miyamoto/Iwata also discussed the strategy for DLC there, which is well worth a read.

Velcro Fly

So I'm guessing the collectibles is something you can pick up, and not just some easter egg like the Luigi things have been in some recent Mario games? I feel like for $40 this game features a good amount of content already and the $13 Toad figure that I'd buy regardless could add a decent chunk more.

Roo

At the investor meeting in October, Miyamoto said that there will be other kind of spin-off games like this one (=less known characters, shorter development cycles, still fun to play) in the future. Miyamoto/Iwata also discussed the strategy for DLC there, which is well worth a read.

This is why I think future sequels to this game are highly likely despite sales.
Those fill the gap between big releases quite nicely, they're easier/faster to make and retain a high quality feel to them.

Levels on this game were based on Super Mario 3D World but they can expand to different games (still based on the Mario Universe, of course) or even become its own thing.

jariw

So I'm guessing the collectibles is something you can pick up, and not just some easter egg like the Luigi things have been in some recent Mario games? I feel like for $40 this game features a good amount of content already and the $13 Toad figure that I'd buy regardless could add a decent chunk more.

The new amiibo mode has been described as a "hide-and-seek-style" game mode. So I guess you have to point at the pixel Toad on the touch screen once found on the level.

The new amiibo mode has been described as a "hide-and-seek-style" game mode. So I guess you have to point at the pixel Toad on the touch screen once found on the level.
I hope they're not just replacing the pixel Luigi characters you can already find in the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wouldn't mind a Mario vs DK Minis on the Move-sequel with this visuals. :p

that would be great, really.
Btw, loving the game so far,
completed episde 2, now go on with the third!
I'm doing like 2/3 levels per day in my very little spare time, it's the perfect game to me in this very moment.

Hi guys, just wanted to show you this..
This is our New Year Cake (-Forumites of the Official Greek Nintendo site, Nintendo.gr)
Happy New Year to everybody!
P1180093.jpg

Sean

Banned
Bought it at launch but just got around to playing it now. Such a fun game, beautiful graphics and charm.

Pleasantly surprised by the length too. Heard a lot of people saying it was a short 3-4 hour game but I've been playing probably over ten hours already and still not done.

jariw

Bought it at launch but just got around to playing it now. Such a fun game, beautiful graphics and charm.

Pleasantly surprised by the length too. Heard a lot of people saying it was a short 3-4 hour game but I've been playing probably over ten hours already and still not done.

It's not a short game if it's played to the very end. I think I needed something like 20 hours until I finally got the
crown
. Still have many target times left to beat.

I have to admit,
the ending got me, I was pissed that the game was 40 bucks and I had 100% the game in less than 3 hours, didn't realize there was going to be 3 more books lol.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So have anybody beaten Mummy.Me Maze Forever? Can it even be beaten? Do I unlock anything worthwhile if I manage to beat it?

zroid

Banned
So how many levels does it have? Not sure I am commited enough to do this.

50 floors

It's pretty tough. A few things to note that might make it easier:
1) turn off your head lamp because it alerts shy guys and such more easily, 2) use the LR button to run instead of B, makes managing the camera much easier, and 3) you can tap on enemies to stun them -- especially helpful against the fire breathing piranha plants

Morfeo

50 floors

It's pretty tough. A few things to note that might make it easier:
1) turn off your head lamp because it alerts shy guys and such more easily, 2) use the LR button to run instead of B, makes managing the camera much easier, and 3) you can tap on enemies to stun them -- especially helpful against the fire breathing piranha plants

Holy shit! I didnt know you could run in this game - and I have progressed this far without it. Would definitely had made this game much easier for sure. Ah well, guess I did the hardcore-version :)

jariw

Holy shit! I didnt know you could run in this game - and I have progressed this far without it. Would definitely had made this game much easier for sure. Ah well, guess I did the hardcore-version :)

I would actually advice against running on that stage, it isn't needed and things only get more difficult. There are just a few levels where you should run as soon as you see the end box:
5, 15, 25, 30, 40, 45

Mummy-Me Maze Forever is actually more of a huge meta puzzle. All 50 levels are quite easily solvable in a sequence if you find the good solid approach. And 7 of the levels can be considered as "free", so you actually only have 43 levels where you need to find the approach.
And many of the levels are grouped in 4 where a similar approach should be used. 1-4 is the same, 6-9 is the same, etc.

If you want a huge spoiler:
Play the levels with shy guys, fire piranha plants + the levels with the numbers I mentioned above on the Gamepad to easily stun the enemies. Play the rest on the levels on the TV, to more easily find the exit.

Gambit

Is there any pattern to finding the hidden golden mushrooms? They just seem randomly placed to me :/

if you have your headlamp on, you can see them. But of course the light is not very strong, so you have to be close.

About Mummy-Me Maze...There are different approaches, but I actually ran mostly instead of touching the enemies. However, just in case I needed a stun, I played only looking at the Gamepad.

Morfeo

I would actually advice against running on that stage, it isn't needed and things only get more difficult. There are just a few levels where you should run as soon as you see the end box:
5, 15, 25, 30, 40, 45

Mummy-Me Maze Forever is actually more of a huge meta puzzle. All 50 levels are quite easily solvable in a sequence if you find the good solid approach. And 7 of the levels can be considered as "free", so you actually only have 43 levels where you need to find the approach.
And many of the levels are grouped in 4 where a similar approach should be used. 1-4 is the same, 6-9 is the same, etc.

If you want a huge spoiler:
Play the levels with shy guys, fire piranha plants + the levels with the numbers I mentioned above on the Gamepad to easily stun the enemies. Play the rest on the levels on the TV, to more easily find the exit.

if you have your headlamp on, you can see them. But of course the light is not very strong, so you have to be close.

About Mummy-Me Maze...There are different approaches, but I actually ran mostly instead of touching the enemies. However, just in case I needed a stun, I played only looking at the Gamepad.

Thanks for all the tips, I might have to give this level another go now!

Mik2121

This game should have some sort of rush mode or time attack (collecting all the diamonds) with online leaderboards. Easy way to add a competitive side to it... :/

Leatherface

God I love this damn game. SO much better than anticipated and I thought it would be good from the get go. Anyone on the fence give this sucker a shot. A true gem! :)

CHC

Alright so I just beat this 100% (including MMMF) and oh. My. God... The
crown
, shit is way too cute to even deal with.

I loved the game dearly. Only minor criticism was a little too much of an emphasis (later on) on the "run away" type levels. I am more of a fan of the puzzly types where there is no imminent threat, just a nice relaxing level to figure out and collect all the coins from.

kubus

TheYetee is once again selling two awesome Captain Toad tees :D

10366220_833782803350397_1808140460279454233_n.jpg

Too bad they got "Ready for adventure" wrong though XD.

Do I get anything if I beat the times the game set out?

I didn't mind collecting the diamonds and doing the little side missions (don't get seen by Shy Guys; collect the Gold mushroom). But unless I get another 20 secret stages unlocked after the time trials I'm not going to bother.

jariw

Do I get anything if I beat the times the game set out?

I didn't mind collecting the diamonds and doing the little side missions (don't get seen by Shy Guys; collect the Gold mushroom). But unless I get another 20 secret stages unlocked after the time trials I'm not going to bother.

You only get that star for beating the time.

Top Bottom