• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

So in my Game Design class I was asked what games I recently played. I said Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and was greeted to crickets and some guy saying "what?"

The world is a cruel place.

Well, if you're the only person who's played the latest game from one of the world's best game studios, then I'd say you're comfortably top of the class. :)

Feindflug

I finally 100%'d the game earlier. If there's one thing I can't complain about, it's the graphics. This game is no slouch in that department, lemme tell ya.

http://i.imgur.com/oJOZE4N.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/C4I3pVE.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/pkbgSIl.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/noIA8Mw.jpg[/QUOTE]

It's so beautiful...Nintendo and HD is such an amazing combination.

Can't wait to finally play this, the Toad levels in 3D World were so much fun. That being said hopefully my copy will arrive today, my order is already a week late. :(

jariw

So in my Game Design class I was asked what games I recently played. I said Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and was greeted to crickets and some guy saying "what?"

The world is a cruel place.

How about suggesting Captain Toad as a study example for your Game Design class? For example, it's one of the best examples of expanding the concept of a simple idea into a full game.

brau

From 1/14 Nintendo Direct.

New support for an amiibo of Toad. It will add a stamp of a retro toad hiding somewhere in the level that you must find.

Support will be later updated.

zroid

Banned
Everyone who was excited about amiibo support can stop being excited now :p

The Toad amiibo looks nice though. Wish it were actually a Captain Toad amiibo of course...

brau

The Toad amiibo looks nice though. Wish it were actually a Captain Toad amiibo of course...

yea... toad is not as charming if its not wearing the exploring gear.

I don't know. I was afraid it would be something like Kirby where you get increased stats or just costumes. I, like many others have completely finished the game. If they keep track of finding the icons you find it gives me an excuse to go back and spend hopefully an hour more with the game.

Blues1990

FUfKncjroKMtK9Of

I just wanted to post this screenshot that I made, as it's one of the cooler areas in the game. At the time, I thought a giant spider (that wears sneakers) would have appeared at the end of this rocky valley.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The game is outsold everywhere here. You can't find it at all.
urgh
I know. I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones on Amazon from a third party, hours after passing up the chance to get it from Amazon cheaper and going to work and deciding to buy it after work. I snatched it up immediately as soon as I saw "4 left". By the time I finished my order it said "3 left". I was afraid it was going to be cancelled because I wasn't in time.

I know you can just go digital but I am not ready. Especially for Nintendo games. For some reason I just love having the box for Nintendo's games. As much as I'd love to have all my games digital on my Wii U. I wish there was a way to get a deep discount on the digital version if you own the disc. I know why it doesn't exist, but it's a shame. If I had the money I'd double-dip and get both a disc and digital version. Disc for future keeping and looking cool and digital for playing without swapping discs and faster loading.

I would literally pay a lot of money for a 5-disc Wii U changer. (An official one with software that takes care of the disc swapping.) They made them for cartridges back in the day. Shame they can't make them now for disc systems.

Alo, I'm really really REALLY sad I missed out on purchasing both of these:
http://www.shopncsx.com/captkinopio.aspx
I did the same thing I always go. Open the tab, contemplate about it, leave it open for a few days while I decide, and come back to it way too late. Fuck. I wanted those plashes so much. :( I wonder if they'll ever restock.

Gambit

Just 99% the game!

"only" Mummy-Maze left. One question: After collecting the coins, do I also have to do a speedrun? I did them in all the other stages, but here I really don't want to.

schaft0620

The game is outsold everywhere here. You can't find it at all.
urgh

Its everywhere here pretty much

Gamestop.com in-stock
check
Gamestop loccal stores in-stock
check
Best Buy local store
nope
Best Buy.com
check
Best Buy in store pickup 24hrs
check
Amazon.com
check
ToysRus.com
check
ToysRus local store
check
Walmart.com
out of stock
local Walmart
not in stock
Newegg
in stock
Target.com
in stock
Local Target
in stock

valouris

Just finished episode 1, and after some complaints I had read about length I legit thought it was over. Glad I was wrong. Game seems lengthy enough for my tastes. And the bonus
3D world levels
are sublime.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I interpreted it as an extra gaming mode, where you need to click on the spot.

Yeah, I've been reading around. That's the way others seem to be intertuping it too. It's going to be another "game mode" or levels.

... I'm REAL bummed we didn't get a specific Captain Toad figure. Just a generic one, hmpfff.

Vena

So what IS the Amiibo?

I saw the other thread going up in arms over additions, but reading about it here and elsewhere it seems like it literally adds nothing.

Just 99% the game!

"only" Mummy-Maze left. One question: After collecting the coins, do I also have to do a speedrun? I did them in all the other stages, but here I really don't want to.

Nope, unlike the other stages that one thankfully doesn't have a Challenge Time.

Also, for anyone struggling with Mummy-Me Maze Forever, I just uploaded the following video which explains the basics and provides some tips on how to make it to the very end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ognANAKP7Y

JonnyKong

If we're not getting it until March, I'd like to think the amiibo stuff is going to be more substantial than it currently looks, hopefully.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So what IS the Amiibo?

I saw the other thread going up in arms over additions, but reading about it here and elsewhere it seems like it literally adds nothing.
From what I gather it's basically the eReader but with awesome figurines instead of shitty cards. I'd love to get into collecting them but it's expensive and way too many of them become sold out way too fast. So why bother?

jariw

A little thing I found, don't know if it has been mentioned: If you touch the bird enemies, and hold the enemy for some seconds, a coin will release and will be added to the coin count. I have not found any other enemy it works with.

So lately I've been thinking...

Wouldn't it be awesome if this game had a level editor?

After all, since most stages simply revolve around collecting gems and a star, it seems like users could easily form their own levels by placing pre-made blocks (think Timesplitters, or even Minecraft) followed by the aforementioned collectibles.

The upcoming Mario vs. Donkey Kong game is doing something similar, so why not Captain Toad as well? Although the chances of an editor ever arriving by way of DLC or an update are quite slim, I would still love to see one in the seemingly inevitable sequel.

Are you listening, Nintendo? I sure hope so!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The Kappa'n arrived in the mail today. Finally ready to get playing tonight! :)

Gambit

Collect 5000 coins

I-m-out_301876_m.jpg

99.9% is good enough for me

I beat it yesterday, but it took me two hours. Getting the amount of coins is not a problem at all.

If you do attempt it, just concentrate on getting through the stages fast (check the layout immediately when the stage appears and dash to the exit). You only need to collect coins till level ten or so. You will easily get the rest. The challenge is getting through at all.

But if you don't, I wouldn't blame you either. I was close to giving up, but thought the Captain deserved a proper sendoff.

TheMoon

So lately I've been thinking...

Wouldn't it be awesome if this game had a level editor?

After all, since most stages simply revolve around collecting gems and a star, it seems like users could easily form their own levels by placing pre-made blocks (think Timesplitters, or even Minecraft) followed by the aforementioned collectibles.

The upcoming Mario vs. Donkey Kong game is doing something similar, so why not Captain Toad as well? Although the chances of an editor ever arriving by way of DLC or an update are quite slim, I would still love to see one in the seemingly inevitable sequel.

Are you listening, Nintendo? I sure hope so!

You won't be designing 3D-levels in a Nintendo game any time soon. Way way way way waaaay too complex.

kubus

Maaaan I really need to get back to this game, we haven't started Episode 3 yet :(. Just two more weeks of exams, and then maybe I can find some time :(.

dat amiibo functionality tho, lol

jnWake

zlCfzS5jabU-IJfj3n

He sneezes. I love the attention to detail in this game.

Started playing today. Graphics are incredible and I'm loving the stages so far.

Velcro Fly

This game is so much fun and then I get to a level where I have to platform with one hand and touchscreen bullshit with another. I'd be more fucking impressed if Nintendo could make a game that doesn't horn in useless fucking crap like this. Seriously this shit wasn't fun 10 years ago on the DS and it certainly isn't fun now. It only hurts the overall experience and frustrates me to no end when I'm getting hit and killed by things right in front of me that I cannot see because of stupid fucking touchscreen crap coming up on my screen.

This game is so much fun and then I get to a level where I have to platform with one hand and touchscreen bullshit with another. I'd be more fucking impressed if Nintendo could make a game that doesn't horn in useless fucking crap like this. Seriously this shit wasn't fun 10 years ago on the DS and it certainly isn't fun now. It only hurts the overall experience and frustrates me to no end when I'm getting hit and killed by things right in front of me that I cannot see because of stupid fucking touchscreen crap coming up on my screen.

Which stage are you referring to?

I think I know, lol

2-17 Spinwheel Sky Fort?

Ahh, you're probably right! :p

I wasn't a huge fan of the touchscreen stuff either, but since most of it could be done while keeping your eyes on the TV it didn't bother me much. I did think it was silly how they forced you to look at the Gamepad during the mine cart levels, though. Seriously, what was the point of that? Why not just keep it on the TV?

zroid

Banned
I enjoyed the mechanics of the touchscreen stuff, added more variety to the level design for sure. The spinwheel parts definitely could've been handled better though instead of covering up the whole screen.

I enjoyed the mechanics of the touchscreen stuff, added more variety to the level design for sure. The spinwheel parts definitely could've been handled better though instead of covering up the whole screen.
Yeah, I enjoyed it too and for the most part that didn't bother me though
for the one Spinwheel level that has a Toad Brigade remix later on it was definitely annoying trying to manage that while making sure that none of the Toads would fall into the lava or get hit by a Bullet Bill or something when my display was obscured due to being near one of the stupid spinwheels. Fortunately I only died once to that junk, but it definitely made that level very annoying.

Would have been much better if the wheels didn't take up so much of the screen and only showed up to begin with if you tapped grab or something instead of showing up automatically when you were anywhere near them

jariw

The wheel displays on the Gamepad controller, not on the TV screen. Captain Toad is designed for dual-screen gameplay.

jariw

Well, I expected better than just this... like changing Toad sprite into a new character I would've liked or give him a new skin. Something more you know...

So (assuming the pixel Toads is an extra gaming mode), you rather want a costume change than a extra gaming mode?

Rlan

Worst Amiibo support possible?

Toad Treasure Tracker is so modular, simple to make a level in, and as it's already at a cheap price, I would have thought that they would have made a new level for every Amiibo available.

Levels based on Duck Hunt, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Pac Man, Sonic etc. I'd say the same for other puzzley games like Pushmo World.

jariw

Toad Treasure Tracker is so modular, simple to make a level in, and as it's already at a cheap price, I would have thought that they would have made a new level for every Amiibo available.

Levels based on Duck Hunt, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Pac Man, Sonic etc. I'd say the same for other puzzley games like Pushmo World.

So, the need to buy 48 amiibos to play all DLC levels?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would have preferred new levels with amiibo, but new collectibles to be found in the levels are pretty good considering the nature of the game, being it a puzzle title

Top Bottom