• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

batbeg

i did the same lol i really wish the bonus objective was visible first. I ended up getting 400 coins thinking getting xx number of coins was the bonus objective lol

Aaaah I just did the same thing! Luckily I got the bonus objective but now feel like I wasted my time getting all (?) 434 coins.

Hugstable

Banned
OMG it's soooo good. I'm loving every second of this right now. I'm in Toad Heaven.

EDIT: I do agree with the gamepad tilting stuff. Who thought this was anywhere near a good idea? Atleast give me the option to turn it off -___-

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Jan 3rd for PAL? It was supposed to be out on Jan _2nd_ !

Tilt + touch don't work Nintendo, every time I touch the screen the camera jumps so I have to realign it with right stick. Why isn't there an option to turn off tilt? And did any of the reviews mention this?

BashNasty

I'm not a massive toad fan or anything, but I am a massive Nintendo fan, and so far this is pushing the right buttons. Mind you, I felt the captain toad levels were the weakest part of the magnificent package that was Super Mario 3D World, but in the absence of another brilliant 3D platformer, I'll take whatever Nintendo design brilliance I can get.

batbeg

I agree the lack of options for tilt is stupid, but I'm honestly surprised it's bothering anyone. I have set the gamepad down in my lap and yet to encounter a problem with the controls because I have the gamepad stationary. With as bulky of a controller as it is I don't know why one would want to hold it upright anyway.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I agree the lack of options for tilt is stupid, but I'm honestly surprised it's bothering anyone. I have set the gamepad down in my lap and yet to encounter a problem with the controls because I have the gamepad stationary. With as bulky of a controller as it is I don't know why one would want to hold it upright anyway.

They should come out with a belt accessory that secures the controller to your lap so it doesn't move and fuck up the camera constantly.

kubus

Yeah it's january 2nd, I messed up (twice). Will fix later :p

I fixed it earlier but then people pointed out that it still said 2014, so when I went to fix that I forgot to change the 3rd to 2nd again lol (didn't save the file last time).

You'd think I would know the release date of my own region lol.

OT: jelly levels are rising with everyone playing the game already ;^;

Jagsrock

Banned
I really want to download this but I think I'm gonna wait a little longer. My smash hype is still to high to play other games right now. Looking forward to hearing all your impressions though.

batbeg

So it's taken me an hour and thirty minutes to beat the first 11 levels and the first "bonus" level
ie Super Mario 3D World/
. I've 100%ed them all except 11 (where the hell do I get all those coins? There's some at the top of the level on that ledge that I can't even get to, but that still wouldn't give me 70...). So I don't think the game will take me less than 10 hours particularly, and maybe even a little longer? Considering I've heard 6-7 hours or even 3-4 hours, I'm a little confused.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So it's taken me an hour and thirty minutes to beat the first 11 levels and the first "bonus" level
ie Super Mario 3D World/
. I've 100%ed them all except 11 (where the hell do I get all those coins? There's some at the top of the level on that ledge that I can't even get to, but that still wouldn't give me 70...). So I don't think the game will take me less than 10 hours particularly, and maybe even a little longer? Considering I've heard 6-7 hours or even 3-4 hours, I'm a little confused.

Not everyone goes for 100% completion, especially the reviewers. My guess that 3-4 hours is if you just speed through, which seems quite pointless.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This looks pretty fun tbh. But why does the NA cover have to be so ugly in comparison to the EU one? NoA strikes again...

That's not a bad idea, gonna have to change the way I play though which is lying in bed while keeping the pad on my tummy.

CzarTim

If you have to hold your controller a specific way for the game to be fun, the controls are fucked. Zero excuses on Nintendo's part.

SirShandy

Is anyone here not bothered by the controls?

I've had no trouble with them. I just hold the controller like normal (resting on my lap), except for the minecart stages.

I've played through the first book, almost 100%, in a little over 2 and a half hours. Nothings been too difficult, except for some of the challenges. But I've enjoyed the variety and the visuals especially are a step above 3D World. The lighting is very nice and the character models appear to be more fleshed out.

I do wish some pf the levels did more with the concepts that they introduce, as they end a little too quickly, but this is only the first book so far, so I'll see how they go. There have been some real standout moments though, like the first double cherry level, the snowy train level, and the final boss level. So far the creativity is certainly not lacking.

This game's release completely snuck up on me for some reason, as I have just finished updating my Wii U and buying the game. Though now I'm tired, I'll get to playing it as soon as I wake up.

Been so excited for this game.

I need this game!
Is it possible to create a U.S. account on my Australian Wii U and download this?

I would love to know this also, c'mon gaf help the rest of us out.
I do not want to wait until january the 2nd, is there any way i can play this before then.

Sucks to hear that you can't switch off the gyro camera, that's going to make the game seem way harder for my little brother, he can't stop moving the controller when he is playing.
I'm amazed that nintendo have forgotten how small children play video games.

batbeg

So a couple of things I just found out. If you're playing a level with snow you can draw in it. I also was turning in circles and Toad got dizzy and fell over.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_018dzgj.jpg

love everything but the fact that you can't just turn off the gyro in the pad. It was ok at first but now it just moves my camera from where I want it occasionally because I adjusted the way I was sitting or some other movement.

Btw way I'd didn't see a thread for it, but what is the system update about, just stability/ behind the scenes things?

I feel very fortunate to have had this game early for a preview piece, it's utterly adorable. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I have so far.

I really REALLY want this but I can't justify buying it now with the backlog I have...then again, DDP ends soon so maybe I should...bah!

I'm finding myself just wandering and chillin' in various places. No timer is something I miss, I like to watch the animations and timing of everything.

I always wish that in 3D World I could at least have chosen to remove the timer from levels post game or something.

batbeg

Well I finished episode 1 100% in about 3 hours. Love the game a lot, it has so many cute touches and gives the perfect level of semi-challenging puzzle with various Mario mechanics thrown in as well. Going to put it down for now and play Tales of Borderlands before I have to go to work, but I'm really looking forward to doing the Toadette levels already.

Hopefully I can get this game later this month, it seems like a fun little distraction. The Captain Toad levels were always pretty fun.

Well I finished episode 1 100% in about 3 hours. Love the game a lot, it has so many cute touches and gives the perfect level of semi-challenging puzzle with various Mario mechanics thrown in as well. Going to put it down for now and play Tales of Borderlands before I have to go to work, but I'm really looking forward to doing the Toadette levels already.

tumblr_nd7i4jiwTC1qzp9weo2_500.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Game looks cool from the Giant Bomb quick look but there's no way I'd pay $40 for it with the amount of content it has.

I bet you have no problem paying $60 for Ubisoft games since they have so much content.

I expect the eShop to be the only way to get it on Jan 2nd. Stores are unlikely to get stock on December 31st or Jan 1st and while it is possible to get stock before them everything is a bit of a lull around Christmas.

Top Bottom