• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car-GAF, need help intepreting a Carfax report

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Based on my emails with the seller and reading through the report I've spotted five possible red flags. I'm not really a car enthusiast, so I'm not sure if these are big issues or just normal stuff that happens to a car over its life. The car is a 2005 Saab 9-2x. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4714912157.html

1) The first owner is shown to have taken the title 1 year after the car was delivered, at 5,639 miles. I've heard these cars didn't sell very well, so I thought maybe this could have been a salesman at the dealer using the car as their personal car?

2) The service record is very spotty. It lists some early minor work, then nothing until 50,000 miles.

3) The car seems to be driven, and not driven, in huge spurts. From May 2005 to October 2006 it was driven for 36,850 miles. Then from March 2007 to April 2012 it was only driven under 8000 miles total. I'm worried it might have been in storage at some point during these years.

4) The car failed, and then subsequently passed, 3 emissions inspections in 2008, 2009, and 2010. I know literally nothing about this. Does this usually mean a bigger issue? I've read that modding a car can cause it to fail the inspections, but the ad specifically says the car is 100% stock.

5) When I asked why he was selling the car, he mentioned that he's only owned it for 2 months and that his wife wants him to get rid of it. That said, there's no record of the car being sold recently, and the carfax only lists 1 owner.

My first instinct is to just forget about the car and keep looking, but it's almost exactly what I want, the seller lives really close, and it's probably the best deal I've found for this type of car, so I want to give it every chance. I emailed the seller with these questions to see if there are reasonable explanations for any of these issues. What do you guys think?

Based on my emails with the seller and reading through the report I've spotted five possible red flags. I'm not really a car enthusiast, so I'm not sure if these are big issues or just normal stuff that happens to a car over its life. The car is a 2005 Saab 9-2x. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4714912157.html

1) The first owner is shown to have taken the title 1 year after the car was delivered, at 5,639 miles. I've heard these cars didn't sell very well, so I thought maybe this could have been a salesman at the dealer using the car as their personal car?

2) The service record is very spotty. It lists some early minor work, then nothing until 50,000 miles.

3) The car seems to be driven, and not driven, in huge spurts. From May 2005 to October 2006 it was driven for 36,850 miles. Then from March 2007 to April 2012 it was only driven under 8000 miles total. I'm worried it might have been in storage at some point during these years.

4) The car failed, and then subsequently passed, 3 emissions inspections in 2008, 2009, and 2010. I know literally nothing about this. Does this usually mean a bigger issue? I've read that modding a car can cause it to fail the inspections, but the ad specifically says the car is 100% stock.

5) When I asked why he was selling the car, he mentioned that he's only owned it for 2 months and that his wife wants him to get rid of it. That said, there's no record of the car being sold recently, and the carfax only lists 1 owner.

My first instinct is to just forget about the car and keep looking, but it's almost exactly what I want, the seller lives really close, and it's probably the best deal I've found for this type of car, so I want to give it every chance. I emailed the seller with these questions to see if there are reasonable explanations for any of these issues. What do you guys think?

Stopped reading there. For the love of all that is holy do not buy a Saab. Especially one that was failing emissions tests after 3 years.

lem0n

Stopped reading there. For the love of all that is holy do not buy a Saab. Especially one that was failing emissions tests after 5 years.

If you knew a little more about the models, you would know that the 9-2x is basically a re-badged GD series Subaru WRX.

OP, the odd mileage is a small issue, and I wouldn't look too far into it. If it's a low mile Saabaru, that's 100% stock, you will not find a car with more bang for your buck. Emissions tests can be failed if the seal on the gas cap is bad. Look a little further into the issue and if you can find some fault codes somehow that will give you an idea of what was wrong. And by now it's probably been fixed lol.

There's always a chance that it's got it's issues, more info on the emissions failures would help us help you.

Edit: look up common Subaru issues for the early to mid 2000's vintage, and you will find that the transmissions are the Achilles heel... only if you mod it and up the power. Otherwise fairly bulletproof. Subies head gaskets can be an issue, but not on the EJ20, I believe. By this year though I don't think it's a problem anymore anyways

sixghost

If you knew a little more about the models, you would know that the 9-2x is basically a re-badged GD series Subaru WRX.

OP, the odd mileage is a small issue, and I wouldn't look too far into it. If it's a low mile Saabaru, that's 100% stock, you will not find a car with more bang for your buck. Emissions tests can be failed if the seal on the gas cap is bad. Look a little further into the issue and if you can find some fault codes somehow that will give you an idea of what was wrong. And by now it's probably been fixed lol.

There's always a chance that it's got it's issues, more info on the emissions failures would help us help you.

Edit: look up common Subaru issues for the early to mid 2000's vintage, and you will find that the transmissions are the Achilles heel... only if you mod it and up the power. Otherwise fairly bulletproof. Subies head gaskets can be an issue, but not on the EJ20, I believe. By this year though I don't think it's a problem anymore anyways
So do you think it would be worth it to follow up and get a pre-purchase inspection done? The Subaru dealership near me said it would be $125.

lem0n

So do you think it would be worth it to follow up and get a pre-purchase inspection done? The Subaru dealership near me said it would be $125.
Hey if it's basically exactly what you want, in your area, with the proper transmission, in your price range, why wouldn't you? The dealership will tell you everything that's wrong with it. Surf some Saab/Subie forums and ask people in your area about the dealers reputation, too. The honesty of the dealership, in this situation, is paramount. Go out of your way for a good, honest place. They do exist!

If I had a few more bucks I'd be flying out to TX to drive this back to AZ. I've always wanted one of these.

Edit: you might be able to haggle that $125 off the asking price, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom