• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo Shorts. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggum2007

I'm in college can I wear cargo shorts?

Also when I've been living in another country where pickpocketing is an issue, I like the side pockets to put my wallet in where it's sorta in my periphery vision.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Cargo shorts mess with most guy's proportions, they make your overall figure somewhat bell shaped and make you look shorter. That said they're not even CLOSE to being the biggest issue with how most guys dress.

Well, I'm married and have a wonderful career so I'm not overly concerned with how I dress. Glad to know it keeps you up at night though. That must be sad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I only use the bottom pockets. Cant stand to have anything in the top pockets right up against me. I don't wear jewelry or a watch either. I know it's weird, but I just cant stand to have a bunch of stuff up against me when I'm walking.

Also, I'm 5'7 and 187 pounds. Kind of hard to find clothes that are comfortable when you are stocky like that.

Well that's one way of putting it.

Also, the reason you can't stand having things bunch up against you while walking probably has to do with your "stockiness".

dralla

I don't hate on cargo shorts unless in extreme circumstances. I just prefer front flat style, knee length. Something like this:

gp851165-04vliv01.jpg

zchen

The fuck you need them pockets for boah!?

But do you (or anyone) ever actually use the lower, outside pockets? Unless you're on Survivor and need to hide your hidden immunity idol, I don't think those pockets have any use.

If you have that much stuff you need to carry around, it may be time to invest in a bag or briefcase.

Pocket for cellphone, wallet, keys (inc. key chain flashlight), Leatherman juice multitool. The side pockets are useful when I'm not able to carry my EDC bag and want to carry notepad+pen or small organizer.

Also useful on the range as dump pouch to carry empty magazines.

I don't hate on cargo shorts unless in extreme circumstances. I just prefer front flat style, knee length. Something like this:

gp851165-04vliv01.jpg

Those look great, on guys with that frame. I'm slightly "bulky" and most shorts look like shit on my thick, 1950s wrestler legs.
not really

I wear a 36 in GAP jeans but can't get into gap shorts, they are too tight or something.

lunchtoast

Only time when I wear shorts is around the house or when I'm exercising/doing some type of activity.

I just wear pants for the rest, I don't want to have to figure out what kind of shorts to wear, I have enough problems on how to dress myself.

SlickVic

I like cargo shorts. Comfy to wear and I like using the lower pockets to stash my DS or a small book (phone and wallet already take up my top pockets).

kirblar

Those look great, on guys with that frame. I'm slightly "bulky" and most shorts look like shit on my thick, 1950s wrestler legs.
Yeah, you need to have a lean/athletic build to wear shorts like that. I have big legs as well and cargo shorts are the only thing I wear in the summer.

I like cargo shorts. They can take a beating and still look okay. You let one drop of mustard hit khaki shorts, and they're done. Cargo shorts can go through some shit. Also, while I don't often use the abundance of pockets, they occasionally are very useful.

I don't really care if they're out of style at this point. They're comfortable and they work.

Hiltz

I never did like long shorts. Guys who wore em often looked like wannabe street punks or suburban rednecks. Then again, I was never a fan of shorts to begin with.

Yeah, you need to have a lean/athletic build to wear shorts like that. I have big legs as well and cargo shorts are the only thing I wear in the summer.

Yup, I'm definitely not lean. 6ft, 230, but anything from GAP (my prefered store) that deals with shorts I can't get into. It's actually quite frustrating to shop as a guy my size, and try to be comfortable and look good.

seanoff

I wear all of the shorts in this thread at various times. in fact i rarely wear jeans or long pants.

however i live deep in the tropics and shorts are necessary with flip flops (yes even at work).

in that manshion photo, the first 2 ugh, never wear shorts with a jacket, if it's cool enough to wear a jacket, wear fucking pants. the photo on the right, perfectly ok and pretty common here.

Davidion

I wear all of the shorts in this thread at various times. in fact i rarely wear jeans or long pants.

however i live deep in the tropics and shorts are necessary with flip flops (yes even at work).

in that manshion photo, the first 2 ugh, never wear shorts with a jacket, if it's cool enough to wear a jacket, wear fucking pants. the photo on the right, perfectly ok and pretty common here.

Agreed on all counts.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
But do you (or anyone) ever actually use the lower, outside pockets? Unless you're on Survivor and need to hide your hidden immunity idol, I don't think those pockets have any use.

If you have that much stuff you need to carry around, it may be time to invest in a bag or briefcase.

I actually use the lower pockets more than the top ones because the top ones a lot of times are shollower. I feel like stuff just fits better in them so the only thing i my top pocket is my lone car key (I only carry one key with me). Usually my phone in my lower left pocket, wallet in my lower right, and then my key in my upper right.

I'll fully admit cargo shorts don't look nearly as nice or as "dressy" as just the plan flat shorts. I could give a fuck about looking nicer in my shorts though. If I need to be dressed differently it's usually somewhere I need to wear long pants. It's hot as funk as it is in the deep South in the Summer so I could give a shit what I really look like as long as I don't look totally terribad.

As someone else posted there are way worse manshion mistakes than cargo shorts. Considering everyone is sweating their balls off anyways in June/July/August nobody really gives a funk.

PS: I really started like Cargos when I 1st got my GBA SP. That shit was the 1st crazy awesome and compact piece of electronics I owned, and having an extra pocket meant I could carry around with me all summer. Some of my friends got the system who aren't normally huge gamers cause they liked the small compact design, and I wasn't the only one carrying my shit around in Cargos over the summer! LOL

PPS: I hate long shorts, but I hate really short shorts even more. Normal length 4 life yo!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Pocket for cellphone, wallet, keys (inc. key chain flashlight), Leatherman juice multitool. The side pockets are useful when I'm not able to carry my EDC bag and want to carry notepad+pen or small organizer.

Also useful on the range as dump pouch to carry empty magazines.

Oh! You're THAT kind of nerd. Nevermind. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No I'm not fat. Don't be mad just because you are built like a stick dude.

At that height and weight? You're fat... unless you're made of muscle or your bones are made from stone.

Lkr

gp851165-04vliv01.jpg

this is what i wear usually but sometimes i'll throw in a pair of cargo shorts if i have nothing clean

At that height and weight? You're fat... unless you're made of muscle or your bones are made from stone.

You can try to coyly dance around the issue without coming right out and begging all you want. You are not getting shirtless pictures of me.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Can't stand cargo shorts because they make my already stumpy frame (I'm only 1.6m) even shorter. I don't need pockets that are harder to reach than bags. I think every man should just carry a bag instead.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why do they have to be cargo pants? Just get 'em without the fuckhuge pockets/bags dangling next to your knees.

Do you guys actually use those pockets?

I love them. way better than those pocketless douchy italian-.style shorts.

even more ridiculous the hate for camo cargo shorts.
not just here on gaf but also while roaming through "better parts of" the USA too

edit:
Do you guys actually use those pockets?

uhm, yeah?
lighter, cigs in my left. 3DS in the right pocket (pefect for gainig "steps")

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Speaking of trends I can't believe people are still clinging too; ugg boots.

WTF ladies, these things have been around for awhile now and they've always been hideous but to compound the problem by running them into the ground, they're made that much worse. Yet women persist.
Moonboots in summer? Hell yeah.

gp851165-04vliv01.jpg

Too short and too tight. These kinds of shorts ride up on me, especially when sitting down when they expose the majority of my hairy ass upper thighs.

Shorts have to go down at least to the knee joint for me, typically down to the bottom of the kneecap. Any longer and you look like a punkass 16 year old with a sideways baseball cap. Any shorter and you look like an uptight 65 year old golfer from south Florida.

Cargo shorts are a bad look, they are comfortable. The hate is because of fashion.

Simply stating "fashion" as a reason is a load of shit. What shorts are "in fashion", pray tell? And please don't point me to that jackoff in the shorts and the suit jacket from the Manshion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom