• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo Shorts. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

There is a middle ground.
QuceX.jpg

What in the shit. Is that an early 90's blouse?

I officially hate fashion and where it's going.

Pocks

Not my pic, but I wear AE's an I am 25. I don't go all out AE stuff with logos everywhere, but their jeans and cargo shorts are inconspicuous and are pretty well made. Plus, I am in Iowa, so unless I want to order online and not be able to try stuff on I am limited in store selection.

I'll check into chinos, but I am just not used to the look on me. I think nice tan cargo shorts and a plain color t-shirt look great on me specifically. May not on others, but oh well. :p

I'm pretty sure we have the same sense of style. I have the same shorts, and I wear plain ts along with them.. not a fan of the huge logos everywhere or any graphic t for that matter.

Here's a good example a casual summer outfit similar to the aforementioned style. It's a bit plain, but hey.

HVGZh.png

cametall

Golf shorts are what I mostly wear. The ones that come down to the top or center of your knee and made of lighter material (Callaway and some other brand).

The only cargos I like are the ones that don't overtly look like cargos (ie the pockets are tight and square against the pant leg. Don't look like you're carrying waterballoons around).

I'm pretty sure we have the same sense of style. I have the same shorts, and I wear plain ts along with them.. not a fan of the huge logos everywhere or any graphic t for that matter.

Here's a good example a casual summer outfit similar to the aforementioned style. It's a bit plain, but hey.

HVGZh.png

That's pretty much how you have to dress where I live. In the summer it gets unbearably hot if you have to wear more than shorts and a shirt.

From Tom Ford's five rules for being a modern gentleman:

A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.

I agree. Problem solved.

suzu

Flat front shorts that hit right at the knee or a little bit above look best on dudes imo.

If you're going to wear cargo shorts, don't get ones with straps and all kinds of shit on it.

Also if you're going to wear shorts + socks with shoes -- get low-cut ankle socks. If you're wearing sandals... don't wear socks at all.

Zona

I like cargo shorts, a pocket for every thing and every thing in its pocket! The few pairs I have though don't have the really baggy pockets. Most of my shorts are more like this.

23H9S.png

I really dislike if they don't go to at least the middle of my knees however.

i live in florida, so wearing jeans is just plain uncomfortable for me 11/12 months of the year

Come on, now...

long pants ≠ jeans

Don't give me that Florida nonsense, either--I watch Burn Notice, and none of the men on that show wear shorts ;)

Shearie

Flat front shorts that hit right at the knee or a little bit above look best on dudes imo.

If you're going to wear cargo shorts, don't get ones with straps and all kinds of shit on it.

Also if you're going to wear shorts + socks with shoes -- get low-cut ankle socks. If you're wearing sandals... don't wear socks at all.

I agree with you on the last two points. I rock slim shorts that go slightly below the knee with shoes and no-show socks.

Jawmuncher

Wanted to bump this since the topic has been coming up a lot lately. Wondering what the climate is on cargo shorts now compared to 2012.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Wanted to bump this since the topic has been coming up a lot lately. Wondering what the climate is on cargo shorts now compared to 2012.
If you care what people think about you, don't wear cargo shorts. Might as well play a Vita in public at that point, really show the world you don't care.

IrishNinja

i need more pockets than an x-force member, and also live somewhere hot as balls

chancletas & cargo shorts are highly acceptable

I'm 36 years old. I don't give a fuck (and never really have) if people don't like what I wear.

Cargo shorts all day everyday when possible.

Yes, I have worn sandals with socks before. Come at me!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I'm not sure if it's better or what because when I went shopping last weekend, I noticed cargo shorts being sold everywhere. The pockets aren't quite as bulky and they're quite a bit more fitted than they used to be though.

njean777

I didn't even know people hated them, I wear abercrombie cargo shorts all the time. Comfortable and nice in the hot Texas weather.

I like cargo shorts. It's nice to have some extra pockets once in a while and it's comfortable when I don't feel like wearing pro club shorts outside.

office_shorts.jpg

From the Manshion thread. This is what you should be dressing like.

*snicker*

It looks like Titus Andromedon dressed these people. The one on the left looks like he just saw sempai.

Pau

More guys should wear shorts that fall higher than the knee.

My boyfriend won't but he has such nice legs. ;-;

ZOONAMI

If you're talking about long ass baggy cargo shorts that go well past your knees, then yes, that's ugly. Also plaid shorts are not cool. Plaid is for shirts, not for pants or shorts.

Monotone cargo shorts with only one set of side pockets that don't go past your knees are acceptable.

Generally speaking though I like Jean shorts or cotton/canvass non khaki colored shorts that don't have unnecessary pockets.

If you need to carry lots of stuff bring a backpack/messenger bag for easy access. Why do you want a bunch of shit in your pockets.

Banglish

If it's a hot day and I need to put a bunch shit in my pockets without a backpack, yea, I'll rock some camo cargo shorts with a white tee and some clean low sneakers with ankle socks. Doesn't look horribad but I was never planning on going somewhere I gave a fuck either.

I wear them pretty much any time the temperature isn't below 60. As someone who carries around quite a few items at the same time (some days more than others), they are pretty essential to me since I don't want to carry a bag around all the time.

I've always preferred practical, comfortable things over what's fashionable. If that makes me inept at fashion then so be it.

Cargo shorts are awesome. Pair with a plain polo shirt and I'm down for the weekend. Down with the fashion police!!!!

I think you are confused as to what hipsters are

I know I'm confused. I've been called one for quoting the Simpsons. Kramer has been called one. The word has no meaning.

thefro

My understanding of fashion as of last year or so is that they're acceptable now again as long as you don't have too many pockets.

So "khaki shorts", not "cargo shorts", in other words.

daveo42

Banned
I own a few with minimal pockets, though now I like having less baggy shorts without the extra pockets because they tend to either be too long or too baggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom