• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher Dies at 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Mark Hamill has done three FB posts today about her death.

Pretty telling how much he's torn up because of this.

Mark Hamill has done three FB posts today about her death.

Pretty telling how much he's torn up because of this.

Both Mark and Carrie lost considerable weight to resume these roles. Do we have reason to worry for Mark, or does this has more to do with Carrie's history of substance abuse?

Just to lighten the mood up

tumblr_oiv44anbQN1s3cp2zo1_1280.jpg

for context: fisher has stated before that this is the obituary she wants, regardless of the actual reason
This can't be quoted enough. That's great.

Shouldn't someone with the name crackhead_bob know about the effects of drug abuse?

It's an homage to my favorite wack packer of all time, but that's neither here nor there. I think 60 years is too young for anyone to die. Someone floated the idea that her losing alot of weight in such a short time may have played some role in her health complications.

Also, how many children did Debbie Reynolds have?

It's an homage to my favorite wack packer of all time, but that's neither here nor there. I think 60 years is too young for anyone to die. Someone floated the idea that her losing alot of weight in such a short time may have played some role in her health complications.

Also, how many children did Debbie Reynolds have?

2. I think her son is still alive. What a terrible day for her though. :(

Speevy

Banned
Both Mark and Carrie lost considerable weight to resume these roles. Do we have reason to worry for Mark, or does this has more to do with Carrie's history of substance abuse?

Yes, Carrie knew she would have to sacrifice her health to deliver 3 or 4 lines in two movies that aren't centered around her character. You could see how physically demanding it was to stand there and have short conversations.

Are you serious? The directors of these films wouldn't care what kind of shape they were in. They're fucking Luke and Leia.

Starfield

Kinda knew it but I had hoped she'd make it.

The only death so far that is affecting me the most from 2016.

RIP, you'll be missed Princess Leia.

R-User!

Nah. It'll be a celebration. And if it's not, every single Star Wars fan there will be doing her a disservice. Her, and themselves.

Celebration needs to be the biggest, goofiest, most irreverent wake for Princess Leia there will ever be. And people need to laugh til their tear-stained cheeks hurt.

Amen!

If I can make it to this Celebration (which would be my first), then I hope this happens...

Mission

Yes, Carrie knew she would have to sacrifice her health to deliver 3 or 4 lines in two movies that aren't centered around her character. You could see how physically demanding it was to stand there and have short conversations.

Are you serious? The directors of these films wouldn't care what kind of shape they were in. They're fucking Luke and Leia.

Um no that's pretty well documented (no I don't have links). She did lose a significant amount of weight 4 years ago for the role.

I really doubt that played into her death but your post implies they didn't ask her to lose any weight which isn't true.

Lothar

Banned

Unfortunately, that isn't true. She had to lose 35 pounds and she had to lose it quickly. And that poster is right to wonder.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ing-35-pounds-force-awakens-article-1.2451740
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/carrie-fisher-pressured-to-drop-35-pounds-for-the-force-awakens/

"They don’t want to hire all of me – only about three-quarters!" she said.
"They might as well say get younger, because that's how easy it is," added the 59-year-old Fisher

Speevy

Banned
Um no that's pretty well documented (no I don't have links). She did lose a significant amount of weight 4 years ago for the role.

I really doubt that played into her death but your post implies they didn't ask her to lose any weight which isn't true.

Well, I mean her role is a matronly one. She wouldn't show up weighing 300 pounds, but I seriously doubt anyone at Disney gave her a weight ultimatum.

Luke was never ripped or anything so I'm sure he just went on a regular diet.

In any case, they didn't come across as being starved to death for their brief appearances. Some actors do look like they've been through hell for certain roles though.

Speevy

Banned

R-User!

It's a thing I've been thinking about off and on this afternoon, this "Baby Bust" as people are calling it, and how it really started to kick us all in the chest this year. The sheer number of people born, the rise of our media machine into something altogether different, the way that machine put so many people into our living rooms, the way we latched onto these movie stars, these musicians, these athletes, the way they became the background noise of our childhoods, the fabric of the security blankets we'd tuck up under our chins when life started kicking our ass and we needed to go lay down for a minute to recuperate.

Now they're all leaving, and it's not just the reminder of mortality, because I think most of us know that all things end, eventually, and it's more about what you do with that time, and how you spend it, and who you spend it with. On some level we know it's more about the how of our life than the what.

But David Bowie goes, and Prince goes, and Carrie Fisher goes, and Gene Wilder goes, and Muhammad Ali goes, all these stars winking out one after another, and you can't help but think about your star, and the ones in your orbit.

They're all gonna go. Your mom, your dad, Your sisters & brothers. All of em are gonna go, and it's coming faster than anyone wants, and it's going to hurt goddammit, it's gonna hurt so fucking bad, if these people we've never met are going to affect us this much what's it gonna be like when the people we really know wink out of our sky, right?

They're all gonna go, and despite all our own bullshit, all our stupid baggage, the struggles and the frustrations we all have trying just to maintain in the face of our problems, we owe it to them to take the best parts of them, and incorporate them into ourselves as best we can, and take that into the future, for everyone's sake. We owe it to them. We owe it to us.

That's one hell of a responsibility, ain't it? That shit isn't easy. And this year just won't stop reminding us of all this impermanent beauty and genius. And it's never going to let up as we keep moving forward, either. Who wants to waste all that inspiration? Who wouldn't want to be that inspiration for someone else if they could?

This is what life is, I guess. The absorption and transformation of love, into loss, and back again into more love.

The work is rewarding as hell, but it's never going to get easier. You just hope that when it's your turn for that transformation, you leave behind as much as these people left you.

That's what I've been thinking about this afternoon.

Thank you for this Bobby. This was inspirational and touching, and I'm going to read it to my wife tomorrow to have a few feels...

That was amazing, and it's making me wake up a little and want to step up!

Unfortunately, that isn't true. She had to lose 35 pounds and she had to lose it quickly. And that poster is right to wonder.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ing-35-pounds-force-awakens-article-1.2451740
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/carrie-fisher-pressured-to-drop-35-pounds-for-the-force-awakens/

These quotes were taken from a live interview, she didn't say either begrudgingly and was said jokingly while the media tired to turn it into something more than what it was. Source on her having to lose it quickly? Because we knew she, Hamill and Ford would be back a year before filming started and they knew sooner, they had a lot of time to get into shape before filming. Changing your diet under the guidance of a nutritionist and exercising more with a personal trainer to lose that weight over three years ago contributing to her death is ridiculous and an irresponsible suggestion.

Bass260

It's a thing I've been thinking about off and on this afternoon, this "Baby Bust" as people are calling it, and how it really started to kick us all in the chest this year. The sheer number of people born, the rise of our media machine into something altogether different, the way that machine put so many people into our living rooms, the way we latched onto these movie stars, these musicians, these athletes, the way they became the background noise of our childhoods, the fabric of the security blankets we'd tuck up under our chins when life started kicking our ass and we needed to go lay down for a minute to recuperate.

Now they're all leaving, and it's not just the reminder of mortality, because I think most of us know that all things end, eventually, and it's more about what you do with that time, and how you spend it, and who you spend it with. On some level we know it's more about the how of our life than the what.

But David Bowie goes, and Prince goes, and Carrie Fisher goes, and Gene Wilder goes, and Muhammad Ali goes, all these stars winking out one after another, and you can't help but think about your star, and the ones in your orbit.

They're all gonna go. Your mom, your dad, Your sisters & brothers. All of em are gonna go, and it's coming faster than anyone wants, and it's going to hurt goddammit, it's gonna hurt so fucking bad, if these people we've never met are going to affect us this much what's it gonna be like when the people we really know wink out of our sky, right?

They're all gonna go, and despite all our own bullshit, all our stupid baggage, the struggles and the frustrations we all have trying just to maintain in the face of our problems, we owe it to them to take the best parts of them, and incorporate them into ourselves as best we can, and take that into the future, for everyone's sake. We owe it to them. We owe it to us.

That's one hell of a responsibility, ain't it? That shit isn't easy. And this year just won't stop reminding us of all this impermanent beauty and genius. And it's never going to let up as we keep moving forward, either. Who wants to waste all that inspiration? Who wouldn't want to be that inspiration for someone else if they could?

This is what life is, I guess. The absorption and transformation of love, into loss, and back again into more love.

The work is rewarding as hell, but it's never going to get easier. You just hope that when it's your turn for that transformation, you leave behind as much as these people left you.

Fantastic post. Puts it all into perspective.

Guffers

Just beautiful. Thank you for this post. I'm dealing with the prospect of potential loss in my life (Dad has just gotten a cancer diagnosis) and your post gave me pause. Life goes on and we who are left better be damn sure that we live it.

I hugged my kids a little tighter before putting them to bed tonight.

I think 60 years is too young for anyone to die. Someone floated the idea that her losing alot of weight in such a short time may have played some role in her health complications.

Rest assured, your heart can throw a clot at any moment and cause you to have a stroke. The likelihood is low when you're young, but it can happen. A gaffer once described it happening to his then-girlfriend in her early twenties.

You just have to accept that these things happen and it's out of your control. Speculating about flights, weight loss, and the effects of drug abuse aren't going to provide you with any comfort, certainty or answers.

RIP..

Moving forward for the family is the hardest part..
I remember when my step father died, the stress was at an all time high for my mother, she forgot things, she even forgot he died, i had to remind her.

entremet

She was a long time smoker, which is among the worst things you can do for your heart.

However, it over. We should celebrate her life, not Monday Morning Quarterback. We're not bringing her back.

Derwind

I was really hoping Carrie would have pulled through.

R.I.P.

Now why did you have to go and make me tear up...?

Fantastic post btw.

Gui_PT

Man, you grow up with these actors.... You've never met them but they're a big part of your life and you feel like they're indestructible...

RIP

Eggbok

Celebrity deaths don't usually have an impact on me but this one hits close. I'm such a huge Star Wars fan and it feels like I've lost a family member. My boyfriend even bought me a necklace that had this quoted on it for christmas.

star_wars____i_love_you_____i_know___by_this4u-d4p8aqa.jpg

One of my favorite memories of this year is the panel Carrie had at Star Wars Celebration this year with Warwick Davis. She will definitely be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom