• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher Dies at 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This shit fucking hurts man. RIP Carrie, you will always be our princess :(

I atleast got to see her at Calgary Comic Con 2013. She was amazing, and I'll never forget the answer she gave to a young girl who asked her, "how did you get your start in Hollywood?" Her answer had my friend and I in tears.

Answer was: "The Casting Couch!"

Followed with, "your parents are going to have some explaining tonight."

XG7wRZw.jpg

I'm sorry for the shit quality for the photo.

Very sad news. I can still recall being a kid and popping in the Return of the Jedi VHS to see what was going to happen after that incredibly intense ending to Empire, and then being treated to the moment where Han Solo gets rescued and Leia takes off her mask to reveal herself. Talk about movie magic. They don't get much more perfect than that. And it was moments like that that really solidified some of my biggest loves in life - movies, sci-fi, fantasy, epic storylines, action, adventure, romance. I haven't watched the original trilogy in years but I look forward to doing it again soon.

It's sad that Carrie's demons cut her life so short. But she handled her troubles with honesty and a great sense of humour in later life, which suggests to me she was probably a real class act.

At Disney World right now and saw the Star Wars fireworks show they have on, changed plans just to go today. Haven't heard a cheer as loud watching these shows ever before than when Leia came on tonight. Really emotional, made me very happy to see people celebrating her.

Vlaphor

I literally learned of this as I was waiting in line to buy concessions for Rogue One.

Small movie spoiler below

That last scene kinda got to me because of that.

Laieon

Rogue One was just released in Korea today, I know she's not in it (and if she is no spoilers!), but I guess there's no better way to celebrate her than to go see a new SW movie.

2016 has actually been a pretty decent year for me as far as celebrity deaths go, I only really felt down about Gene Wilder and Alan Rickman. This one hurts the most though. :(

Watching Return of the Jedi as we speak

Empire but be considered the best, but Return was always my favorite growing up. I love Ewoks.

Sad to say I was kind of expecting it. I don't want it to be true, but considering how shitty this year has been, luck wasn't on our side. I guess I was kind of mentally prepared for this compared to the other deaths.

RIP. You were a cultural icon and an incredible person. You will be missed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's a thing I've been thinking about off and on this afternoon, this "Baby Bust" as people are calling it, and how it really started to kick us all in the chest this year. The sheer number of people born, the rise of our media machine into something altogether different, the way that machine put so many people into our living rooms, the way we latched onto these movie stars, these musicians, these athletes, the way they became the background noise of our childhoods, the fabric of the security blankets we'd tuck up under our chins when life started kicking our ass and we needed to go lay down for a minute to recuperate.

Now they're all leaving, and it's not just the reminder of mortality, because I think most of us know that all things end, eventually, and it's more about what you do with that time, and how you spend it, and who you spend it with. On some level we know it's more about the how of our life than the what.

But David Bowie goes, and Prince goes, and Carrie Fisher goes, and Gene Wilder goes, and Muhammad Ali goes, all these stars winking out one after another, and you can't help but think about your star, and the ones in your orbit.

They're all gonna go. Your mom, your dad, Your sisters & brothers. All of em are gonna go, and it's coming faster than anyone wants, and it's going to hurt goddammit, it's gonna hurt so fucking bad, if these people we've never met are going to affect us this much what's it gonna be like when the people we really know wink out of our sky, right?

They're all gonna go, and despite all our own bullshit, all our stupid baggage, the struggles and the frustrations we all have trying just to maintain in the face of our problems, we owe it to them to take the best parts of them, and incorporate them into ourselves as best we can, and take that into the future, for everyone's sake. We owe it to them. We owe it to us.

That's one hell of a responsibility, ain't it? That shit isn't easy. And this year just won't stop reminding us of all this impermanent beauty and genius. And it's never going to let up as we keep moving forward, either. Who wants to waste all that inspiration? Who wouldn't want to be that inspiration for someone else if they could?

This is what life is, I guess. The absorption and transformation of love, into loss, and back again into more love.

The work is rewarding as hell, but it's never going to get easier. You just hope that when it's your turn for that transformation, you leave behind as much as these people left you.

That's what I've been thinking about this afternoon.

All 100% true and when you are in your early 40 like me and have had a heart issue in the past, you also have to come to terms with your own life ending, possibly before you ever thought possible, and if you have people that depend on you, kids you wanted to see grow up, its a little frightening. I think thats the other sobering about all of these deaths, most of them seem to be natural causes, or disease, nothing you have any control over. Sometimes your time is up because you lost the genetic lottery or because you made bad choices years and years ago and now those debts have to be paid.
There is nothing that will stop death and we'll have some beloved people well known and personal leave us in 2017, but I will take it as a good sign waking up on January 1st and not hearing of anyone passing away unlike Natalie Cole this past year.

RIP Carrie Fisher. I don't think anyone quite handled her own celebrity or choices quite like she did. As a Star Wars fan, it obviously sucks to lose one of the original three.

It's a thing I've been thinking about off and on this afternoon, this "Baby Bust" as people are calling it, and how it really started to kick us all in the chest this year. The sheer number of people born, the rise of our media machine into something altogether different, the way that machine put so many people into our living rooms, the way we latched onto these movie stars, these musicians, these athletes, the way they became the background noise of our childhoods, the fabric of the security blankets we'd tuck up under our chins when life started kicking our ass and we needed to go lay down for a minute to recuperate.

Now they're all leaving, and it's not just the reminder of mortality, because I think most of us know that all things end, eventually, and it's more about what you do with that time, and how you spend it, and who you spend it with. On some level we know it's more about the how of our life than the what.

But David Bowie goes, and Prince goes, and Carrie Fisher goes, and Gene Wilder goes, and Muhammad Ali goes, all these stars winking out one after another, and you can't help but think about your star, and the ones in your orbit.

They're all gonna go. Your mom, your dad, Your sisters & brothers. All of em are gonna go, and it's coming faster than anyone wants, and it's going to hurt goddammit, it's gonna hurt so fucking bad, if these people we've never met are going to affect us this much what's it gonna be like when the people we really know wink out of our sky, right?

They're all gonna go, and despite all our own bullshit, all our stupid baggage, the struggles and the frustrations we all have trying just to maintain in the face of our problems, we owe it to them to take the best parts of them, and incorporate them into ourselves as best we can, and take that into the future, for everyone's sake. We owe it to them. We owe it to us.

That's one hell of a responsibility, ain't it? That shit isn't easy. And this year just won't stop reminding us of all this impermanent beauty and genius. And it's never going to let up as we keep moving forward, either. Who wants to waste all that inspiration? Who wouldn't want to be that inspiration for someone else if they could?

This is what life is, I guess. The absorption and transformation of love, into loss, and back again into more love.

The work is rewarding as hell, but it's never going to get easier. You just hope that when it's your turn for that transformation, you leave behind as much as these people left you.

I think about this almost every other day since I hit thirty. People get older. I'm glad to still have my parents now and I try to spend as much time with them as I possibly can.

shandy706

No celebrity death has every really phased me.

The last one that did a little was John Denver. My dad loved his music and I always wanted to meet him.

Carrie Fisher is the first Celebrity death that had me sitting with tears in my eyes. My father died when I was 11. He introduced me to Star Wars. I use to watch the movies on VHS in the 80s with him before he passed away in '93 and it was my favorite film Trilogy ever.

This one hurts.

That was a genuinely beautiful and honest comfort, thank you, especially in regards to the bolded.

This one really hurted. We watched the original trilogy with my little sister a few months ago (I'm a long time fan and she just started) and she loved every part of Leia. She teared up a little when we found out about the news today.

Rest in peace Carrie, you were great and you will be missed.

She's definitely one of those people that'll never be forgotten as long as humans roam the earth. She's a legend as much as star wars. I've been thinking about her all day. Watched empire earlier and she's one of the biggest reasons why one of the best movies ever made is so damn good. Think I'm gonna go see rogue one again tomorrow.
Only other celebrity death to rock me this hard was Robin Williams.

Speevy

Banned
It's pretty extraordinary that an actress who might not have been otherwise more than a footnote changed cinema with one role.

I was having a conversation with my mother who's just two years older than Fisher was when she passed away. She hates anything to do with science fiction, fantasy, comic books, things that are too divorced from reality.

I was telling her that how movies are made and marketed had a lot to do with these three original Star Wars films. There's a lot to be said for being a big fish in a small pond, which is how it was in 1977's theater-going landscape. But to be an unknown, and to put it all out there was something else.

It really makes me believe in something that was true when films first got going. You only need one character to change movies. Just one. You don't even need to be a good actor. Just a character that touches people. How many thousands upon thousands of actors will live and die without ever having done that? It's not even about an awards statue or big box office. It's just something you feel. You can't manufacture it. It just happens, and it's there forever.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom