• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that are still amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.

Rewatched Gargoyles a few months back Via Netflix, it's still amazing.

SO THERE!

itt: people post cartoons they liked as kids and haven't actually re-watched as adults.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think would hold up well are actually hilariously outdated and/or were never really that good to begin with.

itt: Rabbitwork makes blind accusations at people who have actively watched cartoons from their childhoods.

a surprising number of cartoons you'd think wouldn't hold up well are actually very well done and the jokes even get better with age.

Ultima_5

Daria_logo.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
DBZ still has lots of well directed episodes with a fair share of creative/good cuts of animation, even in fillers. It also has a fair share of bad shit too but I can excuse that!

ps anybody have dragon box 2 and want to sell it

Gazzawa

415748-3650110-slappy_full.jpg

I loved it for the physical humor. This is also where I developed a love for sarcasm. Still holds up today.

That's funny, cause I think all those you have listed are absolutely painful to watch as an adult. So effin plain. But it's all a matter of different strokes I guess.

Indeed. I could never marathon duckula, though for one offs it was ok. Or stand ulysses 31 at all, even back then.

Violet_0

Banned
does anyone here remember the short-lived Jungle Cubs?

junglecubslogo.jpg

I've completely wiped it out of my memory until I came across a random picture of the show in the internet the other day. I'm actually not much of a fan of the movie, but I always thought it was one of the better Disney afternoon shows (it just had a certain charm going for it, I don't know). I wonder how it held up.

also, I haven't seen anyone mention Disney's Hercules: The Animated Series yet

Disneys_hercules-show.jpg

(much) better than the actual movie, and certainly the best Disney series based on a classic Disney movie (together with Aladdin, which is fantastic as well). On the other hand, I couldn't care less for the Ariel The Little Mermaid and Tarzan cartoons. It's been a while since I've watched one of these shows, however

Jasoneyu

Not a lot of people probably remembered this show but it was one of the best for more adult themes and awesome CGI war scenes. Same makers a reboot/beast machines/wars:

Shadow Raiders
xgyxP.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gi Joe is still awesome and fun, especially the cheesy parts.

Completely agree. GI Joe is still fucking awesome.

YO JOE!

Superman: The Animated Series deserves a specific mention.

250px-Stas.jpg

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos in several areas. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

I'm pretty sure that's made its way into the comics now, as well.

Superman: The Animated Series deserves a specific mention.

250px-Stas.jpg

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos in several areas. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

Everything Darkseid related was amazing. I only actually got to watch this when the dvd's came out a few years ago, as the original uk showing was messed up(I think we only got the so-so first season).

Violet_0

Banned
I'm serious.
Well not amazing as the thread title suggest but sure enjoyable.

I didn't enjoy the show even as a kid, tbh. Then again, I never really liked the Superman or X-Men cartoons either (most superhero shows, really), and at least the former seems to be rather popular on GAF.

TDLink

Batman: TAS
Batman Beyond
Superman: TAS
Samurai Jack
Dexter's Laboratory
Gargoyles

Those are the only ones I actually enjoyed when I was younger that I have rewatched and still think are legitimately entertaining or "hold up". Pretty much everything else really isn't great. Admittedly though a couple of these (Samurai Jack and Batman Beyond) didn't actually air until I was in my teens.

And yes, I watched the Spider-man/X-Men cartoons of the 90s. Anyone seriously saying they were anything special is wearing some heavy rose-tinted glasses. Fun as a kid but on re-watch they are just...not good at all. It is only made more glaring by the DC animated shows of the time which actually do hold up.

Gargoyles and the Real Ghostbusters are the two i could watch on a regular basis (and still do, to you nay sayers)

I also think Mighty Max might hold up today as well...

The Real Ghostbusters
mJl7R.jpg

Amazing first 50-60ish episodes. When they start focusing more on Slimer, though, it's not so fun/good to watch sadly. I highly recommend the series set for anyone that liked the series, packed full of pretty much anything they could find from the show.

The DC Animated Universe had an amazing run. I followed it from Batman TAS all the way to the last episode of Justice League Unlimited.

I love the Simpsons as a kid and while the recent seasons aren't any good, seasons 2-8-ish I can go back to and still enjoy. I sometimes pick up new things because I'm an adult and I understand 90's pop culture references now.

ReBoot and Beast Wars also had some pretty amazing runs. The creators of those shows had a lot of balls killing off the main protagonists at various points.

Batman: The Animated Series - The gold standard for comic book adaptations.
Exosquad - By far my favorite cartoon ever. The magnum opus of animated series and one of the best space operas out there.
Looney Tunes - The old Warner shorts held their own much better than the old Disney shorts, which I now find to be embarrasingly infantile. Warner, on the other hand, really pushed the envelope in terms of clever comedy that adults such as myself still enjoy to this day.
Mighty Max - Max's giant norse bodyguard, Norman, had some of the best one-liners.
The Tick - Hilarious spoof of the comic book genre.

AllenShrz

Escaflowne was probably my first anime. I think I was 10 or 11 when it had that crummy airing on Fox Kids. Well I was interested in it, because I really liked Knights and stuff as kid. Excalibur is one of my favorite movies. So of course it looked cool. The airing on Fox was supposedly bad, but I did'nt care. It was really cool to me. Fox never finnished it, but around this time my family got Netflix and well I rented the first 4 dvds, which is all they had. It really was on of the first anime titles I was watching uncut. It was even more amazing. Of course DvD 4 ended on a big cliffhanger, but Netflixs didn't have the rest of it at this time. Well, then Escaflowne became the first anime I started collecting.

I can easily say I loved it back then. It just felt great with exciting characters in a cool world and of course the suits of armor. So unusual for me back then.

I haven't really watched it in a while, but I started watching it because I thought it was a decent show to introduce to my niece. Well I've been enjoying it. It's aged pretty well. The actual animation is still pretty decent and the story still has some good things about it.

While it's not exactly deep or anything, the characters are still engaging. Vann is a decent lead. You know, he is your typical rambunkous teenage male, but you know the dude has motivation and he's just not boring to watch at all. So many anime leads seem to cookie cutter and just bystanders in there own show, not Vann though. He goes head first into the action. He actually does show growth as well. Hitomi is somewhat worse, but nothing terrible. Some of her confusion makes for a good foil for Vann, she is a bit more level headed and keeps him on some sort of chain. It's a solid dynamic. Of course who I really like is Allen. Because he's the stereotypical white knight, but yet he is anything from perfect. I think his character makes a good point in this type of love story honestly(the seemingly perfect dude). He has a lot of flaws, but in the end he is'nt a bad person and can even be pretty badass.

I don't know it's a decent show. The story is solid and pretty eventful. The music is of course still great. The art is just beautiful.

You are the only one in this thread with taste. I like you.

You forgot the best characters! Dilandau and Folken

Requeim

original tom & jerry is the only cartoon i watched as a child, that i still like just as much (if not more) today

TEJ

freakazoid
animaniacs
loony toons
batman tas
superman tas
pinky and the brain
batman beyond

Pretty much WB stuff, especially stuff from bruce timm and paul dini

bryanee

Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS. I love them more today than I did when I was a kid. I also think Transformers has held up well, there are some down right shit episodes but then you have stuff like The Key to Vector Sigma which I love and many more which are damn good.

Probably not the best place to ask this but I remember watching a Cartoon and in the intro it had two robots/cyborgs rapping whilst moving towards the camera, I cant for the life of me remember what it is. Any ideas?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
original tom & jerry is the only cartoon i watched as a child, that i still like just as much (if not more) today

Tom & Jerry is 100% more hilarious to me as an adult. As a kid I would never crack a smile watching it, but it has me busting my sides any time I watch an episode. Maybe as I kid I just went along with the insanity, but as an adult I realize how absurd the physical comedy is.

marrec

Banned
Haha, I didn't expect anyone to post that in here. I loved that show. To this day my dad will mention "that show you used to watch with the red dog called Frisket." I don't know why it left such an impression on him, lol.

The amount of love Reboot gets on GAF is ludicrous since it's such a bad show.

Would run home from school to watch Astro Boy (superior Canadian dub, the American show sounds weird). I watched a few episodes last year and they held up, even made me shed some manly tears

1134151321.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom