• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that are still amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Jack
Batman Beyond
Tom & Jerry
Johnny Bravo
Earthworm Jim
Batman The Animated Series
Hey Arnold!

These are timeless shows that transcend any demographic.

gabbo

415748-3650110-slappy_full.jpg

I loved it for the physical humor. This is also where I developed a love for sarcasm. Still holds up today.

THE WHO! Still love that take off on 'who's on first', to this day.

Let's see...

Ren and Stimpy - Season 1+2
G.I.Joe - Season 1(2 is ok)
Batman TAS - All
The Real Ghostbusters - Season 2
Gargoyles - Season 1+2(Basically, everything before The Goliath Chronicles)
Doug - Season 1-4
Rocko's Modern Life - All
Robotech (Though having now seeing the original shows they used for this kinda ruined it's appeal)
Fleischer era Popeye
Any Looney Tunes or Merry Melodies from the late 20s-50's that got re-run forever.

I'm sure there's a few more but that's all that immediately comes to mind.

aeon_flux_03.jpg

The Liquid Television shorts of Aeon Flux. Still amazing... and I loved that she
died
in basically every one.

I recall being pretty disappointed in the actual show that eventually came out.

Courage the Cowardly dog still cracks me up till this day and has some creep episodes like the barber. Took way too long for someone to list this.

notl.jpg

Still the best

the correct answer! still watch it to this day. during season 4 and 5, the animation got really sloppy though, even the producers admitted it.

also...
batman_beyond-show.jpg

batman beyond i thought in some ways was a spiritual sequel to spider-man TAS. great stories, good animation, high school drama, leads a secret life, set in the future this time, plus you see a great collection of old and new enemies, and having the old bruce wayne help you? just badass. will friedle nails the voice of batman beyond/terry mcginnis, and kevin conroy as the old/retired batman is just icing on the cake.

250px-New_Batman-Superman_Adventures_logo.jpg

the new batman/superman adventures was also pretty damn good. had the best of both batman and superman, and even some crossover episodes and movies if i remember correctly.

i dont like the marvel vs dc comic superhero wars. both are equally awesome in their own ways!

Raptomex

250px-Rocko_title_card.jpg

Rocko was, and always will be, one of the best written and voice acted cartoons of all time.

Lt-porkydaffy-color3.jpg

You can never go wrong with classic Looney Tunes. The Rabbit of Seville still makes me laugh my ass off to this day.

cast.jpg

Again, another classic Nicktoon. Up until the movie where the new baby came into play, that is.
Once Dil was added to Rugrats the show started taking a shit.

Doug, Tom & Jerry, 2 Stupid Dogs, Batman: The Animated Series, Ren & Stimpy (original Nick series), Tiny Toon Adventures, SpongeBob SquarePants (I can't believe this began in 1999. I feel old. But any of the episodes before the movie are great).

SWAT Kats. I just got the DVD collection recently.
-Swat-Kats:-The-Radical-Squadron-(5-Disc).jpg

IpsoFacto

Ninja Turtles
Ren & Stimpy (far more interesting now since a lot of the really messed up stuff flew over my head when I was a kid).
Tiny Toons
Freakazoid
Garfield and Friends

Mr_Zombie

Came here to post this.
The CGI stuff dated awfully (and to think that at the time I thought it looks amazing :p), but the show itself still is very good.

Also, most shows that came out of What-a-Cartoon, i.e. Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo (but only the first season, the rest were awful), PPG, Cow & Chicken, Courage etc. Love that stuff.

-BLITZ-

About 90% of what is here I watched too and is hard for me realize that so many gaffers are posting them, even those that are very old because all the buddies that I know, don't have any idea about this cartoons, either do I don't know at what they was watching back then, as their years are close to mine.

I'm very glad to be among you all, and when I thought I'm the twisted one. :/
Fox Kids and Cartoon Network used to be soo good.

Actually one of my first cartoon (after I found out that, anime is the proper word) that I've watch from the first episode to the end was
- Sailor Moon. I still remember when my tv-channel made the announcement that Sailor Moon continues with Sailor Moon Sailor Stars and the ending was just; Full Of Man Tears. This anime had so much life.

Sailor_Senshi2.png

Muffdraul

WW08I.jpg

Getta Robo G

D7ayp.jpg

Yuusha Raideen

I'm not Japanese, but when I was a little kid I discovered these shows on a UHF channel that at the time was dedicated to LA's Little Tokyo populace. (Ch. 22 KWHY, can't believe I still remember that) Every Sunday at 6PM they'd show BOTH kinds of super hero shows: tokusatsu (Kikaida, Go-Ranger) AND super robots cartoons! (This was yeeeaars before the term "anime" was coined.) Anyway a few years ago I scored copies of the entire series of both of these two and after almost 30 years they did seem a lot choppier than I remembered but they're still fucking beautiful.

Digishine

Banned
Moomins? Or just the Buka? ;)

Good God, the women is starving. Someone give her some food D:

I hate you soo much for what you did right now. I had fucking nightmare as a kid and still when I just saw it for a sec while scrolling down. I had goose bumps

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
There's probably a few.
Not counting anime or anything...
But I got to say I still like Ed, Edd n Eddy.
It's still my favorite cartoon.

Drakeon

Superman: The Animated Series deserves a specific mention.

250px-Stas.jpg

I'm watching this right now, at age 22, and I love it more now than I ever did as a kid. Perfectly captures what Superman is all about, and creatively and intelligently updates the mythos in several areas. Having Braniac involved in the destruction of Krypton was nothing short of genius.

Came in to mention this and Batman: The Animated Series. Loved both as a kid and they still stand up, which is rare for a cartoon aimed (mostly) at kids.

Subitai

Dino-Riders!
dino_riders.jpg

Also:

SaberRider_CollEdV1.jpg

Exo-Squad has already been mentioned a few times, and that has probably stuck with the most as I look back.

Subitai

Wait, that stuff is real?!

I always thought it was just some awesome fanmade 'show your wildest dreams'-creation. This should be interesting.
Oh hellz ya!

INTRO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpuhLkh358Y

TOYS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXE1ZbEwLc
ZissenToyShowDinoRiders2a.jpg

Edit: My brother and I were like, "This couldn't have happened cause T-Rex existed in the Cretaceous period and Diplodocus existed in the Jurassic period millions of years apart. :(

It was part of the Marvel Action Universe block on Saturday mornings *sheds tear* with Spiderman and his Amazing Friends and Robocop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbrUpDjPgc

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Pokemon series up until Johto still has a very special place with me. I think it will be that one show that I will never truly grow out of. Ever.

Everything from Johto and after is just so.. bleh. I tried to get back into the series with Black and White and it's impossible. The show is just so fucking bad and repetitive...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Tiny Toon Adventures

Three of the finest cartoons ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom