• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that are still amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxx_01_cover.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Max Fleischer's Superman
toon-10-400x267.gif

Way older than me, but I watched them as a kid. And since they are on Netflix I recently decide to watch them again.

And woah! I'm glad these are from the 40's , because the animation is so utterly hand-made and with such production values that for decades it must have put to shame almost every superhero cartoon that came after.

I have to agree. Caught some reruns a couple summers ago and it really holds up. Quite remarkable.

MAtgS

I'm not really the 1st in this thread to mention
SatAMtitle.jpg

am I?

rewatching it on Netflix it still holds up, especially the 2nd season with its stronger continuity.

gabbo

Max Fleischer's Superman
toon-10-400x267.gif

Way older than me, but I watched them as a kid. And since they are on Netflix I recently decide to watch them again.

And woah! I'm glad these are from the 40's , because the animation is so utterly hand-made and with such production values that for decades it must have put to shame almost every superhero cartoon that came after.

I agree, watched this on VHS as a child, and I don't think the animation will ever degrade in quality terms. As a cartoon however, it does feature a lot of terrible/racist stereotypes prevalent at the time - the Japanese bullet car/plane episode for instance.

Ermc_G6

My personal opinion is that no one actually likes these old shows, and they only watch them out of a bizarre nostalgia/ironic interest mash-up.

Really, they are not good.

Dishwalla

Banned
My personal opinion is that no one actually likes these old shows, and they only watch them out of a bizarre nostalgia/ironic interest mash-up.

A lot of them yes, I too think that is the case. But there are shows that I legitimately think, despite being children's shows, are good shows for adults as well, like Rocko's Modern Life or The Adventures of Pete and Pete or early Spongebob episodes. I'd agree that if you didn't watch Recess or whatever as a kid you're unlikely to like it now, but there are some that just work no matter what your age is.

And of course there's cartoons like the Looney Tunes that weren't made exclusively for kids in the first place and actually have quite an adult mentality, so Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck and the Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote and Foghorn Leghorn appeal to any age group. With exceptions like the new Looney Tunes Show of course, that trash is made for kids, with some overtones of(bad) adult humor.

Eusis

I don't doubt that for a lot of them nostalgia and likely some amount of dumb brainless fun are the big reasons they're looked at fondly, but some are legitimately great (or at least GOOD) and can be enjoyed even when older, especially the classic cartoons. Brushing them all off as "awful" is just as bad, likely worse than being in denial about how bad they actually were.

Then of course there's cases pulled like the Simpsons, that goes into full blown crazy to say that's awful and it's just nostalgia deluding you.

FillerB

Alfred J. Kwak. (intelligent themes, trippy episodes and crazy locations and characters)

[IMG ]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZxCSPsdyt9I/0.jpg[/IMG]

jbsGE3XrojfjBo.jpg

That moment when you first realize during history class what Dolf and his Kraaienpartij (both the dutch names) were based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom