• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

I have a weird urge to write my own ending for this show because I have little faith that the real one will match my expectations. This is not something I normally do

DBT85

Its for the best that it's being ended. Probably should have happened this time last year tbh.

Hopefully Katic and Fillion can go and get plenty of roles now with so much more free time.

DrAg0nBoY

Oh God that ending was so done in the last second. I mean, come on. It was clear it should have ended with the cliffhanger...

What happened
Castle and Beckett get shot at the end in Castles apartment. They crawl to each other, hold hands and the next scene is 7 years later. They have 3 kids and breakfast together. End.

I think that's kind of the gist of it.

Man that was a weird ending. Talk about rushed.

If they hadn't added that last 30 seconds it would have been a downer ending to the series. It made it look like they both died.

DrAg0nBoY

Man that was a weird ending. Talk about rushed.

If they hadn't added that last 30 seconds it would have been a downer ending to the series. It made it look like they both died.

Well yeah, but when they said they had 2 endings I hoped that the one that would be used for the series finale
would be good and not 30 seconds slapped on at the end.

celebi23

Man, that was so rushed/forced/shitty. Such a bullshit ending. I fucking hate when a season finale is hastily turned into a series finale.

tumblr_mjgzmjA1pH1rn3kl9o1_500.gif

Zomba13

Man, that was so rushed/forced/shitty. Such a bullshit ending. I fucking hate when a season finale is hastily turned into a series finale.

tumblr_mjgzmjA1pH1rn3kl9o1_500.gif

Yeah. Just wow. I guess if there was a next seaon the last few seconds wouldn't have been there and we'd open next season with
Castle alive, Beckett dead and ending with the mystery of Castle's lost time?

celebi23

Yeah. Just wow. I guess if there was a next seaon the last few seconds wouldn't have been there and we'd open next season with
Castle alive, Beckett dead and ending with the mystery of Castle's lost time?

The show deserved a much better ending. Seriously, whoever thought it was a good idea to cut Beckett & Lanie from Season 9 should go fuck themselves. If it weren't for that fiasco (and the huge backlash from the fans), they could've just had a shorter season 9 and properly wrap things up.

DrAg0nBoY

The show deserved a much better ending. Seriously, whoever thought it was a good idea to cut Beckett & Lanie from Season 9 should go fuck themselves. If it weren't for that fiasco (and the huge backlash from the fans), they could've just had a shorter season 9 and properly wrap things up.

Yeah, I would be happy with a shorter season 9. This just sucks what we got now.

celebi23

Yeah, I would be happy with a shorter season 9. This just sucks what we got now.

Yeah, this is even worse than what happened to Eureka. They had filmed their 5th season and ended the season finale on a pretty big cliffhanger. SyFy then changed their minds after all of the signs leaned towards Eureka getting a 6th season. So SyFy managed to have an extra episode filmed to wrap things up. What we got here was 30 seconds of "wrapping things up". I'm actually angry/upset/pissed at this >_<

DrAg0nBoY

Yeah, this is even worse than what happened to Eureka. They had filmed their 5th season and ended the season finale on a pretty big cliffhanger. SyFy then changed their minds after all of the signs leaned towards Eureka getting a 6th season. So SyFy managed to have an extra episode filmed to wrap things up. What we got here was 30 seconds of "wrapping things up". I'm actually angry/upset/pissed at this >_<

Wait what, seriously? Seems like I need to rewatch Eureka, because I never knew that about the finale and everything.

Still, about Castle so
Mason was really the head of Lockset? But who was then Caleb? I mean, if we got a 9th season what would it be all about? Against who would Castle go, if Kate would die at the end of the 8th season.

I know it is stupid to think about this now, but still. I am just really disapointed about the finale.

celebi23

Still, about Castle so
Mason was really the head of Lockset? But who was then Caleb? I mean, if we got a 9th season what would it be all about? Against who would Castle go, if Kate would die at the end of the 8th season.

I know it is stupid to think about this now, but still. I am just really disapointed about the finale.

Seriously, right? It was so muddy/confusing as all hell. There seriously needed to be a few more episodes to wrap things up. Everything got wrapped up too damn quickly.

Damn.

I guess I will have to write my own fanfic if I want Alexis x Hayley.
I would've killed for something like that in the show.

Joni

No, they needed to cut a huge part of the budget to make season 9 even thinkable. There would never have been a season 9 with both Katic and Fillion.

They said in advance they had doubts about their renewal chances, so they filmed two endings. Which probably means the death was just a tacked on cliffhanger.

It's clear this was a season finale that had series finale bit written in literally at the last second.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A fine ending but certainly rushed. That was so .. strange. I don't even know who the big big bad is, i'm kinda confused now. I'm guessing it's the younger guy at the end, no names for spoilers.

Before that rushed add on ending, i was totally thinking
them both dying
was the end. Which could have been interesting to say the least.

Oh well, Castle had a good run. RIP my cheesy romantic cop drama show.

DrAg0nBoY

Well perhaps we get a better ending in the Nikki Heat books. I mean those are still a thing, right?

edit: Well they don't follow the story of the series per se, but are still kinda close.

Fusebox

Banned
They should have just rolled the credits with them dead and holding hands, the contrast between the grim scene and their whimsical theme song jingle plus the "Are they/aren't they dead" discussions between fans would have been epic. Fuckin cheesed it to the max with the happy future bit on the end.

Castle getting kidnapped was sort of a running gag these past couple seasons.

Finale was alright, rushed but satisfying ultimately. Ryan and Espo ended on a pretty strong note considering how weak the characters were in part. Haley was a great addition to the show and was awesome to the last episode. It was a great ride I wouldn't miss if I had the chance again.

lol, I just saw the series finale for Castle from yesterday.

Basically, it was just the bad ending that was originally planned for the season 8 finale, except after that, it immediately jumped to a quick happy ending for about 30 seconds...

The episode itself for the season finale was really good, but it's only the last 2 minutes from the ending that is a bit weird, especially the addition of the happy ending that is clearly precipitated to create a series finale.

We can see that the happy ending was rushed at the last minute and it appeared on the screen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They should have just rolled the credits with them dead and holding hands, the contrast between the grim scene and their whimsical theme song jingle plus the "Are they/aren't they dead" discussions between fans would have been epic. Fuckin cheesed it to the max with the happy future bit on the end.
Well Castle has always been feel-good, ending the whole series with both of them dying would have been way too hard.

But yeah this was so rushed and sloppily done. They should have completely removed the bit with Caleb returning, which came out of nowhere and made no sense anyway, and filmed a proper finale sequence to wrap it up.

Sad to see an 8-seasons series end on such a sloppy, throwaway note. :\

Moozo

If you can fit the crux of a series finale in a 2 minute video on your show's own Facebook page (which is where I just watched it), you're doing it wrong.

They should have completely removed the bit with Caleb returning, which came out of nowhere and made no sense anyway, and filmed a proper finale sequence to wrap it up.
Or maybe, they should have only showed the part when Castle and Beckett are entering their apartment to have breakfast and then, they show the happy ending 7 years later with Castle and Beckett having breakfast with their kids.

It would have been a slightly better ending and also, there would have been a direct continuity about the breakfast.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Or maybe, they should have only showed the part when Castle and Beckett are entering their apartment to have breakfast and then, they show the happy ending 7 years later with Castle and Beckett having breakfast with their kids.

It would have been a slightly better ending and also, there would have been a direct continuity about the breakfast.
I agree, that would have worked much better. The bit with Caleb and the shooting was just absurd and out of place.

I'd like to think they banked that ending years ago and were ready to wedge it into literally any finale.

Castle's car is flaming on the side of the road! 7 years later...

SpaceWolf

Banned
Someone needs to edit a clip of Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World taking us through the normal, sad and super happy endings of Castle.

Well Castle has always been feel-good, ending the whole series with both of them dying would have been way too hard.

But yeah this was so rushed and sloppily done. They should have completely removed the bit with Caleb returning, which came out of nowhere and made no sense anyway, and filmed a proper finale sequence to wrap it up.

Sad to see an 8-seasons series end on such a sloppy, throwaway note. :\

Better to see it end this way than have it end on a cliffhanger.

I personally liked the episode, i was a bit confused with the 7 years later as well... but I am glad they included it.

CREMSteve

Just watched it, disappointing way for the show to end, it deserved better.

Will always be one of my fave shows to look back on though, I loved the characters.

RIP Castle

jrush64

Banned
Just watched it. T'was definitely rushed but It was all they could do. Gonna miss the show though. Had so many fun and creative episodes.

Caslte ending this year, Person of Interest ending this year and soon Bones....

Maddocks

Man that felt so damn rushed. 30 seconds? it was like they knew ok we have 30 seconds to show off Kate dying or them with 3 kids happy.

It should have been at least 5 minutes of where are they now showing the whole cast 7 years in the future. I loved the show, but that ending was not what it should have been.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It was time for the show to die but it deserved better than that ending. Hopefully Nathan ends up on a good show, I like him.

Everything about Lokstat was dumb.

That ending was probably shot last Friday after they heard they were getting cancelled and edited in on Saturday.

Castle getting kidnapped was the most dumb "Hey, we need to add suspense to this... I mean... hmm... We could... You know... How about he just gets in a cab?"

Them acting all serious were usually the worst episodes of the series, and this was the worst of all of those.

Lokstat should have been an alien. Castle's crazy idea should have been right for the last episode.

Top Bottom