• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle |OT| It is okay to have a man-crush on Nathan Fillion

Savitar

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

You don't build up a series by having two people go through shit to get married only not to have them together and then kill one off which they'd pretty much have to do at this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You don't build up a series by having two people go through shit to get married only not to have them together and then kill one off which they'd pretty much have to do at this point.

If they kill her off they can get one good season out of that and that's it.

Avari

If they kill her off I doubt I'll bother with the next season. As lame as it is I'll at least give the next season a chance if there's another reason she leaves - transfer or something.

RIP in peace Castle. You were a good series for most of your run.

I like the idea about Mal Reynolds waking up from a dream at the end. Would be a great ending for the series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If they kill her off I doubt I'll bother with the next season. As lame as it is I'll at least give the next season a chance if there's another reason she leaves - transfer or something.

If they kill her off they can do a shortened final season and make it a revenge run. That's pretty much the only way it could possibly work, if they try anything else it'll just be bullshit.

MartyStu

Best course of action? Make the show about Hayley and Alexis.

Make them consulting detectives and retool the series to be Elementary-lite.

Keep Filion on as a recurring for the 9th season, then phase him out too. Keep most of the NYPD intact and maybe include that cute techy more often.

Essentially, I am suggesting they Scrubs Season 9 the hell out of the show. It will not last long, but it will be fun.

Concept17

Lanie gone as well.

Spinoff of private eye with Alexis seems the most likely case, with Castle either sticking around to promote it, or guest starring as an actual Season 9 is just not needed at this point.

Yeah. Sadly, it makes the shitty, shitty justification of why they are separate more shitty.

So, was Locksat made up just because they could not stand to be in the same room?

Joni

Yeah. Sadly, it makes the shitty, shitty justification of why they are separate more shitty.

So, was Locksat made up just because they could not stand to be in the same room?

More like: made up to cover that they knew very late Stana would be back so they wrote a lot of stuff without her in it. Something like jason Segel on the last season of How I Met Your Mother.

Best course of action? Make the show about Hayley and Alexis.

Make them consulting detectives and retool the series to be Elementary-lite.

Keep Filion on as a recurring for the 9th season, then phase him out too. Keep most of the NYPD intact and maybe include that cute techy more often.

Essentially, I am suggesting they Scrubs Season 9 the hell out of the show. It will not last long, but it will be fun.

This was my thought as well. Make a spinoff show: Castle Jr, PI

Joni

Has there ever been any real information on this? Ego clash, something worse?
Ego clash. Basically, they both want to be the star. With the added benefit of Nathan being interested in having a bit more time off, wanting to do episodes in 9 instead of 10 days of filming, which also lead to a clash after season 6.

Avari

If they kill her off they can do a shortened final season and make it a revenge run. That's pretty much the only way it could possibly work, if they try anything else it'll just be bullshit.

I just wouldn't be interested. I'd call it quits at the end of this season and just ignore what comes after.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, that's one hell of a bomb drop.

Spoilerish as hell too, since I assume they'd have to kill her off. I mean, it's not like they're gonna repeat the separation BS again, so they have little choice.

Or they should just end the damn show altogether, really. :\

benjipwns

Banned
Grave_Digger_69 • 7 hours ago
It’s because Nathan Fillion is an absolute monster to work with. Good for Stana and Tamala – they don’t have to put up with Nathan’s B.S. anymore.

Deadline's other story says:
Castle, which I hear is eyeing a shortened, likely 13-episode, ninth season, at a reduced license fee.
While the studio started making overtures to Fillion for a new deal months ago and has been in on- and off- talks with him since the beginning of the year, I hear Katic was never approached to re-up her contract and was not offered an opportunity to continue on the show. Instead, I hear she, as well as Jones, were informed late last week that for budgetary reasons, they won’t be asked to come back for Season 9.

Also sorta obvious but still spoils:
The two were handed the difficult task of shepherding the eighth season with the future of the series and its stars up in the air. Amid that uncertainty, the show filmed two different endings for the upcoming Season 8 finale, including a cliffhanger one in which I hear both Castle and Beckett’s lives are left hanging in the balance.

Maddocks

I was always a fighter on that they hate each other news. I was the one who was, has to be BS, their chemistry is way to strong to let me believe they hate each other. But this news just shows me that they are just great professionals that can put their differences aside for the job.

But damn, without Stana it is not going to be the same show and she is without a doubt my favorite part of the show, even though Nathan is charming as fuck and everyone that meets him I hear loves him, but he's my 2nd sometimes 3rd best thing that show does. I'm going to miss Stana and Tamala.

Joni

If it is only getting renewed for 13 episodes, renewing but killing Beckett does seem a bit petty. Like how Private Practice ended.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it is only getting renewed for 13 episodes, renewing but killing Beckett does seem a bit petty. Like how Private Practice ended.

If they kill her off they'll need a few episodes to close up the story arc that results. I'd say they're better off just letting them ride off into the sunset, but I've always been a romantic.

Joni

If they kill her off they'll need a few episodes to close up the story arc that results. I'd say they're better off just letting them ride off into the sunset, but I've always been a romantic.

I'd just think a drastic move like this would be to make sure there is a shot at a full season 9 and maybe a 10.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd just think a drastic move like this would be to make sure there is a shot at a full season 9 and maybe a 10.

There's no way they could get 2 seasons out of that, I doubt they could even get one. The whole shows relies on the Castle/Becket dynamic, there's only so long it could be a solo act for.

Joni

There's no way they could get 2 seasons out of that, I doubt they could even get one. The whole shows relies on the Castle/Becket dynamic, there's only so long it could be a solo act for.

That is why they have Haley and Alexis.

If I like Nathan Fillion, should I like this serie ?

It is basically eight years of Fillion acting silly. Especially in the 'Firefly' spoof episode, the Adam Baldwin episodes, the time travel one, the one with the actor from Spartacus, the zombie episode, ...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That's some insane news, I can't tell if ABC said goodbye to them or if they left after having enough.

I can see season 8 ending with Kate being killed by locksat (whatever it is) and S9 being a short season, Castle and crew find and uncover the whole locksat wankery for a somewhat happy ending.

Dec

It is basically eight years of Fillion acting silly. Especially in the 'Firefly' spoof episode, the Adam Baldwin episodes, the time travel one, the one with the actor from Spartacus, the zombie episode, ...

Those were the best times for Castle. Season 5 and 6.

Damn it.

gabbo

That is why they have Haley and Alexis.

Our killer's a zombie! *high five*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Those were the best times for Castle. Season 5 and 6.

Damn it.

Everything though when they finally caught the Senator was good, after that there was no reason to keep going.

Those silly episodes were definitely the high water mark though.

Wow they are going all out on "supernatural" episodes.
Its every other episode now.

Genie episode(great)
regular
Immortal guy episode(great)
regular
Curse/Omen episode(preview looks good).

Kirye

It was about time. I loved Castle but it became so stale and predictable. This show could not survive without its other lead, just like Bones would've been dead in the water without Booth.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was about time. I loved Castle but it became so stale and predictable. This show could not survive without its other lead, just like Bones would've been dead in the water without Booth.

I think they could have justified a 3 episode revenge arc, but it would have to move fast and constantly keep pushing forward.

I'm glad they aren't though, just let it die. I just pretend it ended the episode the new captain left the show. That was a perfect ending.

Savitar

It's kinda hysterical they basically told Katic your out and then end up getting cancelled.

You know she's gotta be taking some satisfaction for that.

It's time we all knew this day would come just took much longer than expected. 8 Seasons is honestly amazing.
It was a great ride, ups and downs. We'll always have the start of season 5.

I love Castle and unashamedly have a man crush on Fillion, but the removal of Katic was just insane and the show couldn't have survived, its probably the best result.
That said I'm still bummed it has eneded, I'm going to miss my regular dose of Fillion

If the rumours of the hatred between Fillion and Katic are true, then man they both do not get the acting props the deserve because its so believable the chemistry, you could easily believe they were in love in real life.

Replicant

Good riddance. It's arrogant to think they were going to continue without the one half of the pair that make the show work.

ABC finally wakes up and smelled the rotten corpse.

I hope the series finale has them time travel to the future, or have some other plot device to confirm that the one time travel dude was legit.

Just go balls-out science fiction

Top Bottom