• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

XaosWolf

Had to pop in and confess my love for the Igarashi titles, respect for the classic Castlevania titles, and my dismay at the LoS titles.

But as for the Rondo of Blood love, Guess what's permanently in my PSP?
Thank goodness that it's region-free! =D

I love Castlevania, it's one of my favorite series, I finish the first game at least once every year. Rondo of Blood is my easily my favorite game followed by Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.

Such a beautiful series, even if I gotta be honest and say that I hate that the series is pretty much dead now. I couldn't stand Lords of Shadow and I hope someday the series goes back to its roots.

One of my favorite series of all time.

SOTN is my favorite game of all time and one I have played through multiple times. Just running around, jumping, and slashing your fucking sword in that game feels so damn good.

And Super Castlevania IV has the best final stretch of bosses/last boss/ending of all of the Castlevania games that I have played.

Does anyone know of any Full Orchestral versions of old Castlevania songs? I swear I found one about 10 years ago of a track from Super Castlevania IV but lost the file.

The trailer/game that made me get a DS

ibxSVQfj9A15zR.gif

dawn_of_sorrow_2_by_raziel1992-d6ejels.gif

Can't stand LOI's highly repetitive environmental design. Copy paste copy paste copy paste. It's an absolute chore and replays are a no-go.

In no way is LOS worse than that shit.

[Shrug] I'd rather have copy paste than a shitastic framerate, forgettable music (a crime and a shame in a CV game), and chupacbaras stealing my shit over and fucking over again. Not to mention the Titan boss fights, terrible DLC, and QTE's. Gross.

But hey, I'm more than willing and accepting of the fact that I'm in the minority with that opinion, which admittedly makes me sad.

On the brightside, I'll always have CV3, RoB, CV4, SotN, and AoS. Oh, and OoE. Shit was awesome.

[Shrug] I'd rather have copy paste than a shitastic framerate, forgettable music (a crime and a shame in a CV game), and chupacbaras stealing my shit over and fucking over again. Not to mention the Titan boss fights, terrible DLC, and QTE's. Gross.

But hey, I'm more than willing and accepting of the fact that I'm in the minority with that opinion, which admittedly makes me sad.

On the brightside, I'll always have CV3, RoB, CV4, SotN, and AoS. Oh, and OoE. Shit was awesome.

You're not alone buddy!

Aesnath

I've been waiting for a thread to make my first post in, and this seems like a pretty good place.

I'm a huge fan of the original Castlevanias and IGA-vanias.

Obviously SOTN is the best, but the GBA/DS sequels were all pretty strong generally.

All of the 16-bit entries were fantastic as well; Bloodlines is probably my favorite of the originals though (could be a touch of nostalgia though, it was the first 16-bit entry I played).

Going back further, Castlevania III was pretty epic.

I've never been a big fan of the 3D entries; the N64 ones were...odd, the PS2 ones were dull; and LOS doesn't really feel much like Castlevania to me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Love the OT. I've been playing Symphony of the Night (PSone/PSN version) through my Vita and going through to 100% the bestiary and get all the items.

Just a few questions regarding Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP:

1. What games does it contain?
2. Does the Rondo of Blood remake feel like a post SotN game aka you can get a crap load of items, equipment, and food?
3. What are the changes in this version of SotN?

I didn't find the music forgettable or the QTE's bad. The QTE's were actually a less offensive form of QTE's that only a true fuck up could fuck up, it wasn't that kind of terrible QTE that just appears and you have to like guess which button it's going to be, and the music fit the style of the game perfectly and was very well done. It wasn't what you wanted I guess and wasn't like other kinds of Castlevania music but the game was different in tone and pacing of other Castlevania games which lead to a different type of soundtrack. However you're totally entitled to not like the direction.

Maedhros

Love the OT. I've been playing Symphony of the Night (PSone/PSN version) through my Vita and going through to 100% the bestiary and get all the items.

Just a few questions regarding Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP:

1. What games does it contain?
2. Does the Rondo of Blood remake feel like a post SotN game aka you can get a crap load of items, equipment, and food?
3. What are the changes in this version of SotN?

1 - SOTN, Rondo of Blood Remake and the original
2 - No. It's classicvania, with multiple paths and girls to rescue to unlock the true ending. You can play as Richter and Maria in this game. Very different play styles.
3 - They remade the shitty (but classic) dub. But everything else is just like people remember, except for the ending music (it was changed) and playable Maria (and boss Maria too).

SkyOdin

I have actually been playing through LoS for the first time over the last couple of weeks after finding at GameStop for $20. It is a little odd playing through it only after having been spoiled on the big plot twist by the LoS2 trailers, but whatever.

The game really put the wrong foot forward at first, but it has at least improved quite a bit. It is so full of flaws that my brother and I have been more or less MS3TKing it as we go. The biggest offender so far isn't the somewhat slippery controls, the actively malicious camera, or the tightly scripted platforming: it is the horrible writing. How on Earth could they go to the effort to hire a great actor like Patrick Stewart and then give him such dreck to recite at the start of every stage? The Brotherhood scrolls somehow manage to be even worse.

On the other hand, the game has downright amazing environmental artists. The stages and concept art are beautiful.

It isn't the best Castlevania game, not by a long shot, but it isn't the worst either. Honestly, it is probably much better than Lament of Innocence. At the very least, I can appreciate that the developers do come across as really big Castlevania fans.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
3 - They remade the shitty (but classic) dub. But everything else is just like people remember, except for the ending music (it was changed) and playable Maria (and boss Maria too).

And it has bugs that cause it to crash.

And, obnoxiously, you can't just start SOTN from the main menu -- you have to unlock it first. C'mon, Bronami!

TheMink

I don't remember this spell. What's it called/where's it found? Weird cuz I had 112% back in the day and everything.

Shield rod has a number of different combinations, btw its 200% for full completion (or 204% or whatever)

Have a 45 min SotN speed run. Thats pretty slow, but still.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So SotN PSP version is an inferior one? But the Maria boss fight... :(

Anyway, why didn't they include the Saturn exclusive stages (the Garden and the Prison)?

Maedhros

And it has bugs that cause it to crash.

And, obnoxiously, you can't just start SOTN from the main menu -- you have to unlock it first. C'mon, Bronami!

It has? Maybe on your PSP or something like that, never happened to me. Finished the game in 2 days without it crashing even once.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Anyway, why didn't they include the Saturn exclusive stages (the Garden and the Prison)?

I recall Iga saying he wasn't pleased with how the Saturn stuff turned out (which... who could blame him?) And that stuff was all done by KCE Nagoya rather than Glorious KCE Tokyo. It's a false prophet among Castlevanias.

It has? Maybe on your PSP or something like that, never happened to me. Finished the game in 2 days without it crashing even once.

Hey, leave my PSP outta this. She didn't do anything to you :(

But seriously, it's pretty well documented. It only happens with certain familiars equipped, from what I can tell (the one demon that was formerly exclusive to the Japanese PS1 version.)

jaxword

The PSP version isn't inferior unless you have a nostalgic preference for the classically poor voice acting.

Sort of like those who prefer PSX FFT to PSP WOTL.

ElfArmy177

The PSP version isn't inferior unless you have a nostalgic preference for the classically poor voice acting.

Sort of like those who prefer PSX FFT to PSP WOTL.

This thread had me thinking... how awesome it would be to make a new Castlevania in the Warframe engine. Randomly generated levels/castle, fun coop, good Melee combat... makes me sad that it doesnt exist. :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wanted to try LoS, but I hear the combat is just God of War rehashing and that it has many QTEs. GAF, tell me I'm wrong and convince me to get the game?

I wanted to try LoS, but I hear the combat is just God of War rehashing and that it has many QTEs. GAF, tell me I'm wrong and convince me to get the game?

Lords of Shadow is basically Castlevania: Uncharted of War Edition. I kinda warmed up to the game as it went along despite not being a big fan of either of those other series, but it is what it is and if you don't think you'd be in to that it isn't really going to change your mind.

ULTROS!

I want to see the return of Igavania with at least Arc System Works developing it and Igarashi directing it... And Michiru Yamane and Ishiwatari composing the music.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That is awesome! Thanks for posting.

Lords of Shadow is basically Castlevania: Uncharted of War Edition. I kinda warmed up to the game as it went along despite not being a big fan of either of those other series, but it is what it is and if you don't think you'd be in to that it isn't really going to change your mind.
Hmm. Too bad. I might put it on some birthday/Xmas list and/or get it for cheap on Steam some time I guess.

ULTROS!

Ishida

Banned

You are not alone.

I really liked Lords of Shadow, but I firmly believe Lament of Innocence was WAY better as the "origin story" of the franchise.

jdl

Banned
pretty much this. I don't even mind the alternate continuity and rebooted story but the gameplay is just completely removed from what defines CV. It's a shame because I was hoping for something special after years of Castletroids but it just wasn't meant to be.

Yeah, the gameplay feels like it's scrambling for an identity by borrowing as much as it can.

Even worse, the entire tone of the thing is wrong - more akin to something like LotR than CV. Walking through a lush jungle in the middle of a bright, sunny day. Couldn't miss the point any harder.

I did hear that it was originally not designed as a CV game and they slapped the brand name on to help it sell. That makes sense if true.

I hope the GBA games turn up on Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console at some point. I didn't really get in to Castlevania until Dawn of Sorrow (which, just for funfacts, cost me 80 Ausland Funbux on release) and have since played most of the games in the series but never got them.

I like to pretend that LoS series does not exist. MoF alone is probably the worst 2D game released. Terrible.

Mirror of Fate is probably my least favourite of the 2D Castlevanias I've played, but I liked it better than its 3D big brother. Dunno if it was just perspective bias or something but it flowed better and felt more like an adventure compared to the sponge beating console counterpart.

ULTROS!

Best bosses in Castlevania:

Beelzebub_%28Castlevania%29.gif

Legion,_Castlevania.gif

I've never been a big fan of the 3D entries; the N64 ones were...odd, the PS2 ones were dull; and LOS doesn't really feel much like Castlevania to me.

I feel you. I enjoyed LOS and I'm psyched for LOS2 being open world but they just don't capture the Castlevania feel the way, say Metroid Prime captured the feel of the 2D Metroids.

Does anyone else feel like Demons/Dark Souls are the closest we'll get to a 3D game worthy of carrying the Castlevana mantle forward? Too bad the whips sucked...

Well for metroidvania fans at least there's the new Strider to (hopefully) look forward to.

I like to pretend that LoS series does not exist. MoF alone is probably the worst 2D game released. Terrible.

I was on the verge of quitting MOF for a while but I kept going because I love the IGAvanias so much. When I got to the
lesbian vampires
it was the last straw though. Just terrible.

ULTROS!

I thought the PS2 Castlevania's were ok. Not spectacular but at the least the OST is awesome.

My major issue with Mirror of Fate is that it feels like they cut the first chapter from the game and slapped it on the end just because. It really should've just been Trevor->Simon->Alucard. There's nothing gained from the story being told in a non-chronological order, it just feels like they changed shit for no particular reason.

Top Bottom