• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

pants

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess this means LoS2 is going to be terribad.

I won't be surprised if they got Double Helix to develop the next Castlevania... But I hope it's Arc System Works or Platinum Games.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/22/castlevania-next-one-teased-by-lords-of-shadow-2-producer/

Mercury steam is OUT guys

Hallelujah, what an amazing night to have a curse ETC
Naaah it really isn't.

On a 2nd thought, this is a good thing, cause now Lords of Shadow will remain a great legacy, rather than being milked down.

I guess this means LoS2 is going to be terribad.

I won't be surprised if they got Double Helix to develop the next Castlevania... But I hope it's Arc System Works or Platinum Games.
I have no idea how you came up with that.

MercurySteam said it over and over again, they have a story to tell, they will tell it, and move on to something else, these are great developers, cause they actually know when to stop, very few developers do that.

Sad indeed. Didnt MoF bomb though?

What is MoF sales vs the IGAvanias?

Yeah MoF had lackluster sales. MoF sold like 30k in USA and I think last Igavanias were around 100k. We can assume it was similar in the rest of the world.

MercurySteam being out of Castlevania is good news. MoF is the very definition of mediocre, probably the worst 2D main Castlevania game and LoS is an unispired GoW clone that does everything worst of the game is trying to clone.

SkyOdin

People are saying there will be no more Igavanias because Konami removed Igarashi as Producer for the series cancelled the game he was working on and took a game which was previously shelved and made it into a Castlevania reboot.

I personally see no reason to touch the Lords of Shadow series as I do not see any reason why the series needed to be rebooted. Had Mercury Steam written a story that fit into existing lore I would have been okay with it, but as it stands it's a different series that I am not interested in as I was not before they put the Castlevania branding on it.

The Castlevania series was in dire need of a reboot. Iga had pretty much written the entire series into a corner. The man pushed his idea of a timeline way too hard, and ultimately wrote out any possible place to fit more games in. The Iga timeline is done. Every possible space where could have a fight between Dracula and the Belmonts is filled. There is no room for adding anything at this point.

It wasn't even that good of lore, for the most part. Good writing has never been the Castlevania series' strong point. It has some moments with the X of Sorrow games, but that is about it. While Lords of Shadow hasn't really improved much in that regard, the writing and lore of the older timelines wasn't really something that I would write home about.

The Lords of Shadow story is ending, but all that means is that Konami should completely reboot Castlevania again. I see little point in sticking to an older continuity that has already served its purpose.

Bedlam

Yeah MoF had lackluster sales. MoF sold like 30k in USA and I think last Igavanias were around 100k. We can assume it was similar in the rest of the world.

MercurySteam being out of Castlevania is good news. MoF is the very definition of mediocre, probably the worst 2D main Castlevania game
Might very well be. At least that sends the message that people don't want this kind of combat/linear progression in a 2D Castlevania.

and LoS is an extremely inspired GoW-like brawler of epic proportions that bests every game it's taken inspiration from.
Fixed the typo for ya.

Refyref

The Castlevania series was in dire need of a reboot. Iga had pretty much written the entire series into a corner. The man pushed his idea of a timeline way too hard, and ultimately wrote out any possible place to fit more games in. The Iga timeline is done. Every possible space where could have a fight between Dracula and the Belmonts is filled. There is no room for adding anything at this point.

It wasn't even that good of lore, for the most part. Good writing has never been the Castlevania series' strong point. It has some moments with the X of Sorrow games, but that is about it. While Lords of Shadow hasn't really improved much in that regard, the writing and lore of the older timelines wasn't really something that I would write home about.

The Lords of Shadow story is ending, but all that means is that Konami should completely reboot Castlevania again. I see little point in sticking to an older continuity that has already served its purpose.

I don't know how can you say the IGA timeline is done when the 1999 game wasn't ever made!

Might very well be. At least that sends the message that people don't want this kind of combat/linear progression in a 2D Castlevania.

Unfortunately, I bet Konami is going to take it as if people don't want ANY 2D Castlevania with linear progression.

Bedlam

Unfortunately, I bet Konami is going to take it as if people don't want ANY 2D Castlevania with linear progression.
They can't possibly ignore how well some non-Castlevania-Metroidvanias were received in recent years. Shadow Complex, Guacamelee etc.

SkyOdin

I don't know how can you say the IGA timeline is done when the 1999 game wasn't ever made!

Because there is little point. The 1999 story of the IGA timeline is similar to the Elf Wars from Mega Man X/Zero: it isn't there to be told directly, only to serve as a backstory for a game set after it. We already know the outcome of the 1999 battle: Julius Belmont beat Dracula and sealed his power and castle away inside the eclipse. There is nothing else really to say about it.

If they were to make a Castlevania set in 1999, I would hope that it would be a classic stage-based Castlevania, for consistencies sake if nothing else. All of the other proper millennial resurrection Dracula battles have been stage-based games.

I would still rather see a complete reboot, though.

Arkanius

I agree with this post
Other than the 1999 battle from the Iga timeline, there was no more space for anything GOOD.

Lords of Shadows timeline is full of possibilities and the first game was actually great. Lords of Shadows 2 will be an instant buy from me.

TentPole

I really enjoyed both MercuryStream games and am looking forward to LOS2 but I am super excited to see something a little more traditional. Especially in terms of enemy design.

Refyref

Because there is little point. The 1999 story of the IGA timeline is similar to the Elf Wars from Mega Man X/Zero: it isn't there to be told directly, only to serve as a backstory for a game set after it. We already know the outcome of the 1999 battle: Julius Belmont beat Dracula and sealed his power and castle away inside the eclipse. There is nothing else really to say about it.

If they were to make a Castlevania set in 1999, I would hope that it would be a classic stage-based Castlevania, for consistencies sake if nothing else. All of the other proper millennial resurrection Dracula battles have been stage-based games.

I would still rather see a complete reboot, though.

I'd love another linear stage-based platformer Castlevania anyway!

The N64 Castlevania games were much better than the PS2 games.

I would take shitty platforming over no platforming any day.

I hope the entirety of LoS2 is like LoS1 clock tower stage. That is one level that really nailed that classic CV platforming to a T.

I also hope for some classic bosses to return like Legion and the gallery of 50's horror monsters would be a nice throwback.

Ahasverus

And this is a Mercury bashing thread, and this is an IGA thread, and I'm gone.
Sad, the thread had so much potential, we should be discussing about the merits of each individual game but oh, what can you do.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm really glad Mercury Steam is out... Iga for the next Vania is the obvious choice... though I dunno if that dude's still got it. He's just been in a broom closet, doing accounting or some shit for like half a decade now. But if Konami farmed the series out to M2, Treasure, or Wayforward, I'd be okay with that.

Please leave basically anyone else out of it.

LeleSocho

Banned
And this is a Mercury bashing thread, and this is an IGA thread, and I'm gone.
Sad, the thread had so much potential, we should be discussing about the merits of each individual game but oh, what can you do.

Huh?

I agree with this post
Other than the 1999 battle from the Iga timeline, there was no more space for anything GOOD.

Lords of Shadows timeline is full of possibilities and the first game was actually great. Lords of Shadows 2 will be an instant buy from me.

The N64 Castlevania games were much better than the PS2 games.

Totally an IGA thread and Mercury bashing thread, and these are what? 2-3 posts distant from yours? ... it seems more like you don't actually want to discuss and whine about it.

Ahasverus

Totally an IGA thread and Mercury bashing thread, and these are what? 2-3 posts distant from yours? ... it seems more like you don't actually want to discuss and whine about it.
Didn't pass the page, sorry !

cvscreen10082.jpg

Why do people don't remember bloodlines? I think it had the most impressive setpieces of its time, that mirror level is nuts also that tower... the way it exceeded SCVIV in that regard in inferior ahrdware and had the best music on the genesis is something that should asure its place in the pantheron of classics!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why do people don't remember bloodlines? I think it had the most impressive setpieces of its time, that mirror level is nuts also that tower... the way it exceeded SCVIV in that regard in inferior ahrdware and had the best music on the genesis is something that should asure its place in the pantheron of classics!
I'm with you, Bloodlines is probably my favourite classicvania.

Ravager61

I'm glad Mercury Stream is out but I don't really want Iga back to just rehash the Metroidvania style. That has been done to death at this point. Don't get me wrong, some of those games are spectacular, but the formula is super stale at this point.

Arkanius

Instead of bashing Lords of Shadow line of games, let's discuss:

How would everyone evolve Castlevania?

Back to the Classic stage Route?
3D akin to Metroid Prime series? (Which LoS2 might do)
2D HD Metroidvania in a new timeline.
GoW/DMC/Ninja Gaiden type of game (LoS1)
Dating yaoi Sim (You know there is someone out there wanting this, somewhere...)

kogasu

Oh yeah, I love me some Bloodlines. Definitely in my top favorite Castlevanias.

Instead of bashing Lords of Shadow line of games, let's discuss:

Dating yaoi Sim (You know there is someone out there wanting this, somewhere...)

I'd like to see it go back to Castlevania II Simon's quest. Many forget that Castlevania had exploration before Metroidvania.

Though Simon's quest took it a step further and added towns.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

This is what I suggested earlier. I think it'd be awesome.

Arkanius

I'd like to see it go back to Castlevania II Simon's quest. Many forget that Castlevania had exploration before Metroidvania.

Though Simon's quest took it a step further and added towns.

I think Order of Eclesia was Simon's Quest done right.
Actually, I think the format of Order of Eclesia had an awesome flow.

dcx4610

It's not Mercury Steam's fault that they were working on an original game (Lords of Shadow) and Konami wanted to slap Castlevania's name on it.

LoS is a good game but shouldn't have been Castlevania. There is nothing wrong with the company itself as the game is beautiful and other than some camera issues, was well made.

If Konami wants to go in a new direction, I want 2D style NES Castlevania in a Metroidvania style map. Bring back the Hammer Horror movies style gothic look and atmosphere and do away with the Japanese anime look. It just doesn't work for the series.

Ahasverus

I want lenghty metroidvanias in handheld (2D or 3D it doesn't matter, 2D is nice though), 3D action adventure epics on HD consoles, probably an Arkham/Dark Souls/lords of Shadow epic combination :)

Bedlam

It's not Mercury Steam's fault that they were working on an original game (Lords of Shadow) and Konami wanted to slap Castlevania's name on it.

LoS is a good game but shouldn't have been Castlevania. There is nothing wrong with the company itself as the game is beautiful and other than some camera issues, was well made.
Actually, it started out as a Castlevania game, then Konami pulled the licence early on. Later and still rather early in development, when Kojima was impressed by MS' work, he convinced Konami to make it a Castlevania game (again).

Barryman

I thought LoS was uneven but amazing in parts (specifically, anything inside of the castle environment was a-ok).

Everything I've seen from LoS2 seems to continue in the vein of the things I liked about the first game, so I'm pretty stoked for it.

Without a doubt. Still don't know how they pulled off that boss fight on top of the tower.

Top Bottom