• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

GhostSeed

dracula_x_neogaf_banner.jpg

- Release Dates -
North America: 10/23/2007 - $29.95 (ESRB: T)
Europe: 10/26/2007 - price? (PEGI: 12+)
Japan: 11/08/2007 - 2,800 yen (CERO: B)
Japan: 11/08/2007 - 6,800 yen KonamiStyle LTD (CERO: B)
Japan: 11/08/2007 - 9,780 yen KonamiStyle LTD w/ soundtrack (CERO: B)

- PR -
Description: Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is an entirely new take at the best Castlevania game to never be released in the US, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. The Dracula X Chronicles brings the beloved action/adventure franchise to the PSP system for the first time, complete with 3D graphics, enhanced gameplay and new music. Completing the Dracula X storyline, this game also includes an unlockable version of Symphony of the Night and players will also be able to unlock the original Rondo of Blood from the NEC PC Engine.

Features:
- The classic action game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood re-imagined for the PSP® system with 3D graphics, enhanced gameplay and new music
- Includes unlockable versions of the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night games, optimized for the PSP® system
- Timeless side scrolling action through more than 10 gothic stages and additional hidden areas
- Return to previously completed levels to find additional secrets

SOTN Enhancements
- Completely redone voice acting and over hauled english script.
- Supports bilingual voice tracks, US and JPN.
- Maria has entirely new animation done by the person responsible for the POR visuals. She now attacks with
owls as projectiles and can summon various animal forms for attacks and other abilities
- In the original Japanese version of Symphony of the Night there were two fairies, but in the U.S. version there was only one. In this new PSP game you will have both fairies and the newly
added fairy will sing a special song
- A new
boss fight

- One new song for the end credits. (Not sure which game this applies to.)

- Media Coverage / Screens -
1up
Games Radar
Game Spot
IGN

Official Japanese Site
Famitsu PR Page
Official US Site

- Wallpapers -
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024

- Reviews -
Game Rankings average score: 84% (as of 10/23)
1up: 8 out of 10
Game Informer: 7 out of 10
GamePro: 4.75 out of 5
GameSpy: 4 out of 5
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 8.33 out of 10
Play Magazine: 8.5 out of 10
PSM Magazine: 9.5 out of 10

PLEASE SPOILER ALL SECRETS!!

Special thanks to MarkMan for some of the info.
If anyone has any other links to share I'll update the OP accordingly.

Ironballs

1680 x 1050 wallpaper would be much appreciated.

From what i played over the weekend, it pretty much confirmed that the GI reviewer isn't very good at video games. The game isn't that tough. Its no cakewalk, but its not Contra 4.

However, it was awesome. I can't wait until tomorrow.

Nicko

Can't wait!! Should be coming soon!

Let us not forget that in most of those reviews the reviewer was focusing on the remake of Rondo of Blood, and not the extra Symphony and original Rondo inclusions. Therefore the scores should realistically be bumped up a bit.

What a great deal for only $30!

Amir0x

Banned
oh yeah guys remember the sales of this game are the decider about whether we get to see more Castlevania like Rondo, instead of more Metroidvania. VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR.

Amir0x said:
oh yeah guys remember the sales of this game are the decider about whether we get to see more Castlevania like Rondo, instead of more Metroidvania. VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR.

It will be mine on Wednesday.

Shogun

Amir0x said:

But I like Metroidvania....

Chemo

Amir0x said:
Buying one of these for me and one for everyone I know with a PSP.

So I'm buying two. :/

castle007

Banned
This will be mine+ Phoenix wright

Also, guys don't worry, there is no way in hell Konami is going to stop making metroidvanias.

Chemo

castle007 said:
This will be mine+ Phoenix wright

Also, guys don't worry, there is no way in hell Konami is going to stop making metroidvanias.
No one is worried about that.

We're worried about them not making Castlevanias anymore. Metroidvania gets more than enough love.

Amir0x

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
What is the main distinction between Rondo-Castlevania and Metroidvania?

Metroidvania's "emphasize exploration in a contigous environment, usually with certain areas unaccessible until the player acquires a key item or skill."

The opposite of that is Rondo, level by level grinds with insane bosses at the end of each.

Shogun said:
But I like Metroidvania....

So do I! But it'd be nice if there was a world for both these types of Castlevanias, because we've had like a billion Metroidvanias since Symphony and 0 Rondo's.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Amir0x said:

Okay, that means I buy this game for Symphony of the Night.

:D

Konami could easily combine the phat loot and experience grabbing in Metroidvania with the impressive level designs and thoughtful enemy placement of Castlevania and make some pretty incredible games.

Instead we get...well..yeah.

I'm blaming MGS4. Not content with sucking up all of Konami's budget they have to grab all of the people capable of designing great games as well. =(

SappYoda said:
this package is at orange box level.

Don't be ridiculous.

castle007

Banned
until this game comes out, let us cry over these artworks that Kojima made for CV: DOS but were never released in the final game.

dos-kojima1.jpg

dos-kojima2.jpg

Amir0x said:
The opposite of that is Rondo, level by level grinds with insane bosses at the end of each.
Are you referring to difficulty of the bosses or the scope? I hope the bosses aren't too difficult

Amir0x

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
Are you referring to difficulty of the bosses or the scope? I hope the bosses aren't too difficult

hmmm

i don't know what you find easy or hard. i wouldn't say they're too difficult, though

GhostSeed

Kestastrophe said:

For what it's worth I found the original Rondo of Blood to be the second easiest of all the traditional games in the series right behind Super Castlevania 4.

Tiktaalik

I was going to get this day one, but since hearing about how Walmart and Zellers in Canada are on the cusp of dropping their prices to match US ones, I'm going to wait and see for a bit.

I'm really excited for this game though. Rondo of Blood GET!

Barakov

GhostSeed said:
For what it's worth I found the original Rondo of Blood to be the second easiest of all the traditional games in the series right behind Super Castlevania 4.

Whoa.

Demigod Mac

I wonder, at what point did Konami decide, "Hey, it'd be better if players were locked away from 2/3 of the available games from the start! That'll encourage higher sales!"

Imagine if you had to beat HL2 before gaining access to Episode 1 and 2.

IPGlider

Demigod Mac said:
I wonder, at what point did Konami decide, "Hey, it'd be better if players were locked away from 2/3 of the available games from the start! That'll encourage higher sales!"

Castlevanias are niche and hardcore games, that will not hurt sales, and encourage players to beat the new RoB remake instead of play the old version.

Christopher

I will buy this game just to support old style Castlevania, which needs a bit more polish here and there, but is totally solid.

I like the Metroidvanias as well, but it feels as thought it's just the same game over and over now...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
has it been confirmed that sotn has a new translation? i've already got the pce version of rondo of blood, and i'm not too thrilled with the look of the remake, but damn it iga has guilted me into buying this game, and i'd like to have a reason

Read somewhere that they did new voice acting for SOTN. Also, the second I get my paycheck Rondo is mine. Ive been waiting forever to play this. :)

Bebpo

Banned
I'm going to get it even though I hate this style of unresponsive CV controls.

What I want to vote with my dollar is to vote for a 2.5D or 2d CV that's level based like Drac X, but controls smoothly like Metroidvanias. Not sure how to do this ;_; ;_;

GhostSeed

drohne said:
has it been confirmed that sotn has a new translation? i've already got the pce version of rondo of blood, and i'm not too thrilled with the look of the remake, but damn it iga has guilted me into buying this game, and i'd like to have a reason

All the voiceovers in SOTN were re-done but I don't know if that includes new dialog.

Games Radar: All of the voiceovers for Symphony of the Night were redone for this version, correct?

Ken Ogasawar: Yes, all the voiceovers for SotN were completely re-recorded, and they are much better. As a person who works in localization, I have to say that the original English voices were... physically painful. I hate saying anything discouraging about my own game, but... (laughs)

Top Bottom