• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

GhostSeed

yudaan said:
It pretty much is a scare tactic. IGA hates level based platforming action-based CV because he nor anyone on his team can do level design for shit so he's doing everything in his power to kill it off all while keeping the guise of 'this will determine the future of the franchise'. He has already decided the franchises fate and it'll be forever recycled SotN go anywhere boredoms. This game is destined to bomb right out the gate.

While a agree there has been some mismanagement of the series he certainly doesn't hate level based CV's. I think he's confuses the main stream market with the market that actually buys Castlevania games.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162527

1UP: Now that it's pretty much complete, what do you personally think about the game? You know, as the guy who makes all the Castlevania games, what are you most proud about with this one?

IGA: I'm happy that I could use Rondo of Blood, which I think was one of the greatest Castlevania games and was previously only released in Japan. I'm really proud that I will give U.S. players a chance to experience one of the greatest Castlevania games ever made.

1UP: So actually, can you clarify something? What was your involvement with the original Rondo of Blood? That was the first Castlevania game you're credited on, but what did you have to do with it?

IGA: Well, the first Castlevania I worked on was Symphony of the Night -- I didn't actually work on Rondo of Blood. But my wife did. She worked on the development team. So I'd sometimes go to my wife's desk to play the game, and luckily I was given a "special thanks" in the credits.

1UP: So in your mind, was that game the reason you wanted to switch gears and work on the Castlevania series?

IGA: As you know, I used to work on the Japanese love simulation series Tokemeki Memorial and I attained great success with it. So much so that I was then given the opportunity to choose which franchise I wanted to work on next. I chose Castlevania. So I entered the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night team as a programming and scenario writer and during the game's development I ultimately became its director.

1UP: But was Rondo of Blood what inspired you to want to work on the Castlevania series?

IGA: Yes, it was one of the reasons I chose to work on Castlevania, but much before Rondo of Blood I really liked the world of Castlevania. Rondo was just one of the reasons.

1UP: Is Rondo your favorite Castlevania that you didn't work on?

IGA: Actually, that would be Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. But Rondo is definitely one of my favorites and I'm thrilled that U.S. players will finally be able to see why.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yay, new thread! New thread!

Repost:

Also.. Saw this random guy at E 4 all walking around with a whip... I asked to take a pic with him and he let me hold his whip... Cool dude...

1655830541_5687429f2c.jpg

Game is almost here guys! Hope everyone enjoys it!

And if anyone is interested, or hasn't seen it yet... I still have old coverage up of DXC and Castlevania week, which can be seen here. (just scroll down a bit)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
_dementia said:
Simple.
Don't buy this and play SotN on PS1, Saturn, 360, or PS3

or PSP (via homebrew or PSN)
But extras! EXTRAS! :(

carlos

The! Bloodsuckers! The! ?
what's up with the topic title? ;)

I love Dracula X, managed to speedrun it in less than 40 minutes, and I've played Sotn enough times, so I guess this game isn't for me :(

Don't be afraid of level based castlevania, Drac X is an excellent game...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
carlos said:
The! Bloodsuckers! The! ?
what's up with the topic title? ;)

I love Dracula X, managed to speedrun it in less than 40 minutes, and I've played Sotn enough times, so I guess this game isn't for me :(
There's no such thing as enough times for SotN. I've gotten my time to Dracula under an hour, but still can't manage to finish him off at this power level. Urgh. "/

Don't be afraid of level based castlevania, Drac X is an excellent game...
Nothing to be afraid of, they're just not as entertaining.

NolbertoS said:
I'd love a remake of Castlevania 3, please make it so IGA.

Castlevania 3 Chronicles would be awesome.

I would also like Castlevania 2 to get a Zero Mission type remake with CotM type gameplay.

tanod said:
This fall has really seen my PSP collection grow quite substantially but I think I'm gonna wait until Spring when I can get a PSP slim (maybe a GoW bundle) and get Castlevania and FF Tactics at the same time. Maybe they'll be a bit cheaper by then.

This is my line of reasoning too. I will have to wait to pick up Dracula X Chronicles because I just purchased FFT, Jeanne D'arc, Lunar Knights and so many other ps2, ps3 and ds games. Hopefully if they do release a GOW psp bundle I can pick up a new slim with DXC and Crisis Core if it is out.

Mar

God damn it, more games I have to buy. I hope my PSP still works, it has been like half a year since I turned it on.

May as well get Goku Makaimura Kai while I'm there. The original is still the best game I've played in years. Actually, holy shit I just realised. I can nominate Kai as my GOTY seeing as it's a new release!

Edit: Well, if I was going to order, I may as well do it properly. My wallet hates me right now.

Goku Makai-Mura Kai
(For Sony PSP™, Japan, No Region Protection)

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
(For Sony PSP™, US, No Region Protection)

Makaimura Music Encyclopedia
(Japan, Audio CD)

Goku Makaimura / Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
(For Sony PSP™, Japan, No Region Protection)

Red Scarlet

yudaan said:
It pretty much is a scare tactic. IGA hates level based platforming action-based CV because he nor anyone on his team can do level design for shit so he's doing everything in his power to kill it off all while keeping the guise of 'this will determine the future of the franchise'. He has already decided the franchises fate and it'll be forever recycled SotN go anywhere boredoms. This game is destined to bomb right out the gate.

Yeah, that's what I've thought the whole time too. He has no intention of doing a level-based one and found a way to say 'see I am right'.

RevenantKioku said:
So I have to suffer through Rondo to unlock Symphony? Ugh. Really cannot stand the level based CV games.

You shut your Mega Man 2 t-shirt wearing mouth.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I can't wait for this. I've never played Rondo, but all the videos I've watched makes me definitely want to give it a try. As for Symphony, I can't resist having it in a portable form.

But Tuesday (or more likely Wednesday or Thursday, whenever I get around to picking this up) is going to be brutal rape on my wallet. Mega Man ZX: Advent, Phoenix Wright, AND this? Ouch.

I love handheld gaming. =)

Enk

makes good threads.
Mar_ said:
God damn it, more games I have to buy. I hope my PSP still works, it has been like half a year since I turned it on.

May as well get Goku Makaimura Kai while I'm there. The original is still the best game I've played in years. Actually, holy shit I just realised. I can nominate Kai as my GOTY seeing as it's a new release!

I've been eyeing this rerelease for awhile too. Loved the oringal despite its few flaws. The only thing I'm curious about is if they balanced the randomly generated enemies a bit more than what it was in Ultimate Mode. The rerelease is suppose to be pretty cheap too. May have to get it once my holiday gaming list clears up.

Ok. Im going to be honest. I sold my Xbox 360, a plethora of accessories, and games for $500 just so I can buy a PSP Slim for this game(and secretly about another 20ish other games). Im thinking of trading in my 360 Hori Arcade(used for mame) stick so I dont have to wait till the 31st when I get paid*things hard on what to do*.

InfectedZero said:
Ok. Im going to be honest. I sold my Xbox 360, a plethora of accessories, and games for $500 just so I can buy a PSP Slim for this game(and secretly about another 20ish other games). Im thinking of trading in my 360 Hori Arcade(used for mame) stick so I dont have to wait till the 31st when I get paid*things hard on what to do*.

Hope you love that PSP...

DXMachina said:
Hope you love that PSP...
Ok. Im going to be more honest. Its for reasons in my life. Cant take my xbox 360 if I have to move. My psp will always be with me no matter what. :) Also alot of stress.

NolbertoS

InfectedZero said:

Wow, that's extreme. I would never sell my Xbox360 for a PSP, when a ton more good games are coming out for the 360 soon.

Edit: I'm lucky enough to own both a PSP and DS and don't need to worry about which games to buy for a system.

Mar

Enk said:
I've been eyeing this rerelease for awhile too. Loved the oringal despite its few flaws. The only thing I'm curious about is if they balanced the randomly generated enemies a bit more than what it was in Ultimate Mode. The rerelease is suppose to be pretty cheap too. May have to get it once my holiday gaming list clears up.

Yeah to be honest, I'm not sure anything in Kai is really a big change. I haven't played it of course but from what I've heard it's just sort of a tweak in the game play. The rings being the major change obviously. I'd really like someone who owns both games already and has beaten both to do a good run down on what's changed. Seeing as the game hasn't been released outside of Japan, I doubt we'll get to see that though.

I fully expect the enemies to be just as cheap in Kai. Even though I did abuse my PSP quite a few times over some of the deaths in Ultimate mode, I still had a really good time beating it in that mode. I've actually heard that Kai is even harder...

RevenantKioku

I just noticed we get it cheaper than the States. :D But much, much later. :(

Also, I fucking love Castlevania and the second I heard this was coming out I fucking was so excited since Ive never played Rondo, which people say is the best ever. Which I concider SOTN the best ever....so Ill get to see :D. Also. I wouldnt mind a Castlevania Collection...

Grimmy

Banned
Mar_ said:
Yeah to be honest, I'm not sure anything in Kai is really a big change. I haven't played it of course but from what I've heard it's just sort of a tweak in the game play. The rings being the major change obviously. I'd really like someone who owns both games already and has beaten both to do a good run down on what's changed. Seeing as the game hasn't been released outside of Japan, I doubt we'll get to see that though.

I fully expect the enemies to be just as cheap in Kai. Even though I did abuse my PSP quite a few times over some of the deaths in Ultimate mode, I still had a really good time beating it in that mode. I've actually heard that Kai is even harder...

I made a thread about it here but no one responded :(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195197&highlight=goku+makaimura

I never played the original of course, but maybe some of the comments are useful.

I picked up Ultimate GnG with my Slim, and I have to say, fuck the lava part. Like do the guys that make that game ever test run this shit? Its brutal. Not only are there like dragons flying around, theres little ghosts, and lava pits and ONTOP of that earthquakes from the volacano that stun you for way way way way way to long. But I love the challenge, makes me feel accomplished when I complete a level.

Grimmy

Banned
InfectedZero said:
Ok. Im going to be more honest. Its for reasons in my life. Cant take my xbox 360 if I have to move. My psp will always be with me no matter what. :) Also alot of stress.

I totally understand - am in the same boat. I think this is also why the Japanese (and, to be honest) much of Asia are all switching to portable consoles. I just don't have the time to be in front of my TV anymore, and with the PSP I can play on the plane, the train, at home, etc. Plus, I move so much for my job that it makes little sense to buy a nice big HDTV + new console.

Mar

Grimmy said:
I made a thread about it here but no one responded :(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195197&highlight=goku+makaimura

I never played the original of course, but maybe some of the comments are useful.

Oh cool. Didn't see that. But yeah I really want to know what someone who's completed both has to say. I guess I'll just find out for myself when the game arrives from Play-Asia.

From your thread:

but I cannot fathom how anyone cold give the game a 6.7 (ahem, Gamespot).

Heh. That's nothing dude. 1up (hi Jeremy) gave the original 4.5. I curse them to this day.

InfectedZero said:
I picked up Ultimate GnG with my Slim, and I have to say, fuck the lava part. Like do the guys that make that game ever test run this shit? Its brutal. Not only are there like dragons flying around, theres little ghosts, and lava pits and ONTOP of that earthquakes from the volacano that stun you for way way way way way to long. But I love the challenge, makes me feel accomplished when I complete a level.

You've pretty much just summed up the entire GnG series. Brutal, uncompromising games that kick you in the face and gouge out your eyes. But when you squeeze through a level with your heart in your mouth you feel like a million dollars.

Mar_ said:
You've pretty much just summed up the entire GnG series. Brutal, uncompromising games that kick you in the face and gouge out your eyes. But when you squeeze through a level with your heart in your mouth you feel like a million dollars.
YES! I FUCKING LOVE YOU. *high five*.

manzo

I'm receiving mine from videogamesplus in a few days.

Then I have to download the game and put the ISO to my memstick.

Goddamn busted UMD drive. :(

Barakov

manzo said:
I'm receiving mine from videogamesplus in a few days.

Then I have to download the game and put the ISO to my memstick.

Goddamn busted UMD drive. :(

How'd you get a busted UMD drive??

Grimmy

Banned
Mar_ said:

Maybe it's me, but I didn't find it *that* difficult? Yes, it was difficult, but I never wanted to scream or throw my PSP to the ground. I died like 10-15 times at times, but that's nothing compared to some really impossible games I used to play (like IMPOSSIBLE MISSION on the C64 - yeeshh!).

Are you saying the lava level was easy? Cause most of the other stages before it arnt retarded hard but they are hard. Now this lava level. Its just fucking stupid.

NolbertoS

Grimmy said:
Maybe it's me, but I didn't find it *that* difficult? Yes, it was difficult, but I never wanted to scream or throw my PSP to the ground. I died like 10-15 times at times, but that's nothing compared to some really impossible games I used to play (like IMPOSSIBLE MISSION on the C64 - yeeshh!).

GnG's games are mostly about timing and memorizing where certain enemies pop up. I got my ass handed to me on the Super Ghouls N' Ghosts GBA game many a time before memorizing certain patterns and finishing it with ease. Same goes for Ghost N' Goblins, it's just a matter of timing and executing the right moves. If you want a really difficult game, play the old school Ninja Gaiden's, now that was a challenge.

Mar

Grimmy said:

Are you talking about Kai or the original? As far as I'm concerned, finishing Ultimate mode in the original game with all 33 rings (using no FAQs of course) is most likely the hardest thing I've ever done in any game. I don't know anyone else who's done it either.

I never finished Impossible Mission unfortunately. Yeah, that game was damn hard. But I just never understood how the puzzle pieces worked. I was hoping to grab the new version for the DS but amazon.uk don't allow us Australians to order games from them...

Enk

makes good threads.
NolbertoS said:
GnG's games are mostly about timing and memorizing where certain enemies pop up. I got my ass handed to me on the Super Ghouls N' Ghosts GBA game many a time before memorizing certain patterns and finishing it with ease. Same goes for Ghost N' Goblins, it's just a matter of timing and executing the right moves.

Well even though the enemy spawns in the previous GnG's were random (like zombies and ghosts) they were evenly paced. It gave you a bit of running room to jump around and dodge. The spawns in UGnG, for the most part, were also random and almost crosses the line of being too quick. Keep in mind the only mode I really played was Ultimate Mode so it might have been different on the others (playing the game in Standard felt wrong and playing it on Easy would be insulting to the game).

I'm a pretty seasoned lifelong GnG vet and was happy that UGnG was hard as nipples, but it did teeter on that line of unfairness which I didn't get from the earlier games. I did manage to make it to the end of the game, but it felt more out of luck than pure skill. It might have also been because of the d-pad, but I guess I won't know for sure until I get a Slim. Still love the game today but I think Ghouls and Super were better made games.

Mar

Enk said:
The spawns in UGnG, for the most part, were also random and almost crosses the line of being too quick.

Reading that line makes me think of the upper room in the slime level. Where you have to fly across the pool, while dodging the spouts of slime, and hitting the thousands of flying things that pop up. I'm surprised my PSP survived that section... I never made it back again. Grabbed the items and died, then warped out to a save point. Jesus Christ.

Still love the game today but I think Ghouls and Super were better made games.

Hmm.. UGnG is my favourite, followed by the very first game, then Ghouls. Super was good but just never really clicked for me for some reason.

Ghouls has amazing music. The Tim Follin versions on the C64 border on orgasmic.

Cheerilee

Red Scarlet said:
I grew up on the original Castlevanias. I like both types, but the original ones are higher on my list of favorites. It's like with Metroid; to me there are two types of games with the same name; I can play both but in both cases I play the older style more. If one were to kill the other I'd be sad.

But really, it's been a long time since the last old-style one, I really don't even think the sales of this would matter for there being another one of those kinds of Castlevania games, and the people that made those ones probably would have nothing to do with a new one anyway. I think this whole situation is nothing more than a scare tactic to get sales; there'll still be more Metroidvanias and no new original ones no matter how this sells, imo. I just wonder what Ruby Onix's crusade is all about.

If those paragraphs were 'wtf?': I like both kinds of CV games.

Didn't they change Maria completely around in SotN for this?
Don't worry, I'm not on any crusades at the moment. It was just that Amir0x called people to vote, Shogun said that he liked Metroidvania, mysticstylez tempted him by pointing out that a vote for the death of Metroidvania comes with a free Metroidvania, and Shogun gave in. So I pointed out the result to him.

Personally, I like side-scrolling plaformers about as much as Metroidvania, but I'd actually go for a side-scrolling Castlevania over a Metroidvania right now just because it's been so long. I'll probably get Dracula X Chronicles as soon as I can afford it, just for the PCEngine port alone, if my brother doesn't buy it before I do.

But I really don't like the idea of this game being a vote for the future, especially since IGA hasn't clarified what exactly he's going to infer from the sales.

A vote for DXC is a vote against Metroidvania. (Don't think I'd really wanna say that.)
A vote for DXC is a vote for 2D gameplay, instead of the PS2 games. (I can get behind that.)
A vote for DXC is a vote against 2D visuals. (Booo!)
A vote for DXC is a vote for Remakes. (I kinda want a CV2 Remake.)
A vote for DXC is a vote for IGA's out-of-control over-writing and retconning. (Booo!)
A vote for DXC is a vote for SotN and Rondo... BZZZT! That's one of the ones he's not counting. Those are just extras.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry that we're derailing the thread, but about UGnG, I think the fact that I played the 'Kai' version instead of the original had something to do with it. The Kai version maybe is a tad easier, so I never felt any frustrations (esp. since I don't need to collect the 33 rings anymore!)

As for Rondo, I will get this new version eventually but admittedly I'm not that excited about it. Why? Because my Super CD-ROM version is still perfectly playable! I've finished it so many times that the prospect of doing so again (albeit with 3-D-ish GFX) doesn't really excite me much. But as a fan of the series I should still pick it up...

Enk

makes good threads.
Mar_ said:
Ghouls has amazing music. The Tim Follin versions on the C64 border on orgasmic.

There's a nice OCRemix of what I believe is stage 4's theme, and I agree, Ghouls n' Ghosts has some amazing music, if not the best music in the series.

Back on the original subject, from some vids I've seen is seems like they completely replaced the original Stage 1 music in Rondo of Blood. That's upsetting because I really loved that tune. Hopefully they didn't replace all the music.

Why does it matter if they replaced the music? It comes with the orignal anyways so you shouldnt be mad :D. And yes, music in GnG is awesome in its own scale. Castlevania and Megaman music is still by far the top game tunes of all time for me.
EDIT - Also, fuck the bombs in Ultimate, they are so pointless.

Enk

makes good threads.
InfectedZero said:
Why does it matter if they replaced the music? It comes with the orignal anyways so you shouldnt be mad :D. And yes, music in GnG is awesome in its own scale. Castlevania and Megaman music is still by far the top game tunes of all time for me.
EDIT - Also, fuck the bombs in Ultimate, they are so pointless.

I know that the original game is in there (I still own my copy as well) but it would have been nice to hear remixes of those themes as opposed to the ones we've heard eleventy-gazillion times. Also I wonder if they're going to include the hidden chibi-castlevania game that played when you put the disc in the wrong version of the PCEngine. There wasn't much to it, just funny to look at.

Oh and the bombs were really useful for the first stage in Ultimate Mode.

InfectedZero said:
Well they arnt helping in lava land :(

Then use the daggers for that part.

Top Bottom