• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CASTLEVANIA: NOCTURNE premieres September 28th on Netflix. Trailer 7/27/23

stickkidsam

Why ya everybody crying?

People got upset over a single, threesome episode, and dismissed all of the amazing moments of the last two seasons because of it.
Nah I think the writing was just weaker for Alucard, Trevor, and Sypha. I still enjoyed 3 and 4 but they just didn’t hit like 1 and 2 most of the time.

Season 3 often felt like really bland melodrama. I get the angle they were going for with Alucard and his stunted emotional growth, but he felt like a totally different character compared to the first 2 seasons. The devils threesome was just the popped cherry on top of an awkwardly written trauma sundae. Trevor and Sypha’s relationship was interesting to see explored. Both of them had taken massive levels in cynicism though (makes sense for Sypha, less so for Trevor) and Trevor just straight up seemed to be less competent in general. Some cool fights at the end though.

Season 4 was kind of rushed (which makes sense since it was meant to be 5 seasons). I enjoyed some of the villains arcs and the side plots could be cool. It felt spread to thin though and didn’t give the main 3 protagonists enough spotlight. The 3 big bad ladies were a mixed bag. At times interesting and at others just boring.

All that said though, it’s been a few years. Might have to give it another watch.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
People got upset over a single, threesome episode, and dismissed all of the amazing moments of the last two seasons because of it.
Alucard's entire story arc was pointless in season 3. Literally nothing about it had any bearing on the rest of the show. If Alucard's season 3 storyline had been removed completely from the show, nothing would've changed in season 4. Going from the excellent season 2 to season 3, the writing was shit and a waste of time.

The same thing applies to the countless table-talk sessions of the lady vampire council. Striga and Morana were essentially pointless with nothing to do 85% of the time. They should've been combined into one character or removed altogether. So much pointless bloat in between Ellis's dommy-mommy fetishes. Good riddance, nowhere to go but up.

Last edited:

KiteGr

You...do know that Maria is one of the two playable main characters in Rondo of Blood and is actually better than Richter during gameplay right? Right?
Yes. She was pretty much a joke character though, for those who couldn't beat the game normally.

I'm worried more about the dredlocks girl. In the original game you where supposed to save 4 damsels where only Maria could fight as a playable character and Anete was supposed to be Ricter's love interest, and in the remake, if you didn't save her you fight her as a boss instead of Shaft.
This being Netflix, I'm worried that they'll turn all of them into race/sexuality swapped strong independent women with bigger stories than the main character's.

Last edited:

Oberstein

As for the series' problems, we can also add the color choices made over the seasons, which have become very, even too colorful in terms of chara-design and environments.

But this Nocturne trailer is surprisingly well done. The art direction is just right, even if I'd have preferred SOTN's Richter to DXC's, and the gothic aspect is more evident here.

The dubbing, too, is a highlight of the trailer.

So we'll see. I just hope Richter doesn't cry all the time, a terrible habit they've established. Too much emo in the previous series.

Last edited:
Where the fudge are the GAMES...jeez louise.
This TBH.

I watched a little bit of the animation and it's nothing to write home about. In fact you can tell it's typical Western animation trying to come off as Japanese.

Personally, I would like to see a new Japanese developed Castlevania game but I'd also be skeptical without Iga.

I would also like to take place in the original timeline preferably the 1999 Demon Castle War that we've been giving hints about but never got to see because Konami sucks.

Top Bottom