• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Solid first episode, way better than it has every right to be, but I find the voice acting pretty weak sadly. Dracula's inflections notably aren't nearly as lively or befitting of the expressive animation on display. Even when fire and brimstone engulfs his very being, it's like he's still speaking in hushed calm, just not great.

Loading up ep. 2. Really digging it so far.

First episode done....10/10 so far

You're joking, right? I was really looking forward to this and I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.
This girl walks past hundreds of skewered skeletons and is literally like "Maybe you wouldn't be such a dick if you traveled more."

Not gonna read through, I'm gonna go home and binge it all after work so I want to be fresh, but hot damn I can't wait. I've been wanting some sort of Castlevania movie/tv show for years

Read through anyways and now I'm even more hyped. Blah. 4 more hours. Lol

Slater

Banned
You're joking, right? I was really looking forward to this and I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.
This girl walks past hundreds of skewered skeletons and is literally like "Maybe you wouldn't be such a dick if you traveled more."

Pfffftttttttttttttttt your loss

Xe4

Banned
Ok first episode. 7-8/10. As others have said, the gore felt excessive, but the writing is pretty good. Dracula is such a fucking edgelord, it's close to hilarious. Though I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the dick of this series. Animation is pretty good (that intro is amazing), but the music and voice acting are pretty meh.

I don't know shit about Castlevania, so I couldn't really say how accurate it is or anything.

Rhoc

Man I can't wait to get home. Hearing only positive impressions so far for the most part. And if it's a little more gory I'm all for it.

Sheroking

Ok first episode. 7-8/10. As others have said, the gore felt excessive, but the writing is pretty good. Dracula is such a fucking edgelord, it's close to hilarious. Though I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the dick of this series. Animation is pretty good, but the music and voice acting are pretty meh.

I don't know shit about Castlevania, so I couldn't really say how accurate it is or anything.

The literal first thing about Castlevania is that Dracula is the villain.

jb1234

I've seen the first episode. It's entertaining if you turn your brain off. Voice acting is kinda dodgy. And couldn't they have gotten a better composer instead of yet another of Zimmer's underlings? It's Castlevania, for god's sake.

Xe4

Banned
I liked the story better in this episode, but I felt like the pacing was off. Spent too much time focusing on one character moving around. If there were two separate characters, or more action, I think it would've been better.

Also, they created a great intro, and then proceeded not to use it. Why?!?

I'll finish the other two episodes tomorrow.

120v

first episode down, i'll save the rest for tonight

could be my fanboyism blinding me but damn, that was pretty fucking cool. not particularly Game of Thrones-calibre prestige TV but better than most anime/adult animated shows.

Apt101

I have the first two episodes down. Loving it. It's flawed in the best ways, and shit, it's Castlevania. I've been thinking about this world and its characters since I was a child.

I wish it was Simon Belmont, but oh well.

Sheroking

I have the first two episodes down. Loving it. It's flawed in the best ways, and shit, it's Castlevania. I've been thinking about this world and its characters since I was a child.

I wish it was Simon Belmont, but oh well.

Trevor comes first. Then Simon. Then Richter.

And then we say "fuck all these Belmonts" and rock out with Alucard some more.

Apt101

Trevor comes first. Then Simon. Then Richter.

And then we say "fuck all these Belmonts" and rock out with Alucard some more.

I enjoyed
Alucard's little cameo
. Wait until I tell my BFF about this - he has no idea it's out, and is an even bigger Castlevania fan than me.

Ep. 1: Decent. Nothing that has not been done before in the Dracula mythos, in fact it was very "look how subversive we are".

Ep. 2: Much fucking better.

Slater

Banned
Just finished, solid like 8/10 overall, only major thing, probably should have called it 'Prologue" cause that's more accurate to what this season is clearly doing but I get why they didn't.

Trevor is perfect though.

Also
final fight with Alucard was mint

finished it, I enjoyed it, although the pacing was slow but I guess that's why there is a season 2 coming up.

as for spoilers
I didn't like what they did with Trevor's character, a homeless drunk who doesn't care or give a shit about anything, then suddenly he start to care, it feels weird.

I didn't like Sypha accent as well, it felt out of place compared to the other characters

I didn't understand why the bishop believe Lisa was a witch, he knows its lie unless he doesn't

When is season 2?

Edit: also is there a way to watch the Japanese dub?

Slater

Banned
finished it, I enjoyed it, although the pacing was slow but I guess that's why there is a season 2 coming up.

as for spoilers
I didn't like what they did with Trevor's character, a homeless drunk who doesn't care or give a shit about anything, then suddenly he start to care, it feels weird.

I didn't like Sypha accent as well, it felt out of place compared to the other characters

I didn't understand why the bishop believe Lisa was a witch, he knows its lie unless he doesn't

When is season 2?

Trevor incredulously says straight up in the Church that the Bishop actually believes his own bullshit

Narag

All done here. Really hit or miss production values which is what I expected going in but the Ellis script was better than I had hoped for and did wonders for the show. Ready for S2!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Episode 4 was pretty good, but the rest of the season was lacklustre to be honest. The voice actors seemed like they were sleepwalking through their scenes, the music was entirely forgettable, the pacing was way off, and there wasn't enough action (what action there was was good though). I think it was a mistake to chop the series up into 2 small seasons - it would have been better if they had just waited and released all of the episodes from both seasons at once because the story of the first season isn't good enough to stand on its own.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Given how aburptly Episode 1 ends, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this wasn't originally written to be 4 episodes. This just stopped, kinda like those original animated series on CW Seed that are a 30 min show cut into 6 pieces.

It was okay. Not particularly impressed with the writing or the animation in the first episode.

They really needed to make the first season alot longer, everything feels so rushed and underwhelming that it just ends abruptly. I know its setting up season 2 but there was no reason to split them up considering how anemic these 4 episodes felt.

Oddduck

Given how aburptly Episode 1 ends, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this wasn't originally written to be 4 episodes. This just stopped, kinda like those original animated series on CW Seed that are a 30 min show cut into 6 pieces.

You're probably correct.

Back in 2007, Warren Ellis originally wrote it as an 80 minute animated direct-to-DVD movie.

Although, that was ten years ago. I'm not sure how much the script changed between then and now.

Narag

It was okay. Not particularly impressed with the writing or the animation in the first episode.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Ellis' old movie scripts cut up into 23 minute chunks.

Xe4

Banned
I couldn't sleep so watched episode 3. I liked it a buuuunch more than ep 1 or 2. Best character interactions and action sequences thus far.

Still some animation, music, and voice acting problems, but I really liked it. Trevor is written very well. Smarmy as shit, but oddly likable too. They immediately make him vulnerable, so fights with him feel a lot more dangerous. Good writing there.

8.5/10

Sheroking

Episode 4 was pretty good, but the rest of the season was lacklustre to be honest. The voice actors seemed like they were sleepwalking through their scenes, the music was entirely forgettable, the pacing was way off, and there wasn't enough action (what action there was was good though). I think it was a mistake to chop the series up into 2 small seasons - it would have been better if they had just waited and released all of the episodes from both seasons at once because the story of the first season isn't good enough to stand on its own.

I can't really say any of this is wrong.

I did think it found it's way by Episode 4's end, which makes it a great big cocktease. Warren Ellis had me "Castlevania 3 anime", though, so I'm in for the long haul.

Just finished a mararthon of all 4 episodes available.

SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

Is this the entire season? When are the rest coming!?

edit: Oh wow it really is just these episodes. I regret burning through it all already. I seriously had my doubts when I saw the first trailer because it might be too anime tropey / fan-servicey, but no. It somehow gave me the same vibes as The Witcher 3. I'm a bit of a sucker for gothic themes.

The voice acting was absolutely top notch. It breathed life into the superbly written script and all the banter felt natural.

Comandr

Just finished season 1. Super good. Can't wait for more. I really appreciated that they didn't sugar coat anything. Superb. The beginning of episode 4 was so good I watched it twice.

Top Bottom