• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

wrowa

Watched the first three episodes and I'm really liking it so far. Much better than what I anticipated. However, 4 episodes is way too short - it feels like the show didn't really go anywhere yet. Not sure if splitting the show up was a particularly good idea, but maybe they are using this release to decide future episodes' budgets or something.

Anyway, do we know when season 2 is supposed to go online? Hopefully it's not taking too long.

brawly

The violence made me say cotdamn. Was not expecting that level of gore.

Please please please get the Berserk license, Netflix.

Ahasverus

I was not expecting the F-bombs.

Or the goat sex.
The
goat sex
is still in? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That has been a running joke in the fandom for more than a decade.

Like, really hahahahahaha.

So this is literally Elis'es movie cut into pieces.

Just watched Ep.1

FUCKING AWESOME!

Will watch the rest tonight (^____^)

Graham McTavish is particular is just... man, dude really makes the script work

Just finished it and I enjoyed the hell out of that. So disappointed it was only 4 episodes though. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the 2nd season.

kubev

I was disappointed to see that this is only four episodes long, but I watched it in its entirety, and I'm really pleased with what I saw. I really hope we get more of this. I wonder if we'll see a tie-in game (or at least a re-release of Castlevania III on a wider range of platforms).

Does the series assume you know nothing about Castlevania's lore?

Not really. If anything, people who are really familiar with the events of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) will largely know what to expect. Still, it's nice to have some additional context.

Grazzt

Fuck, only 4 episodes? This feels like an prologue... I want more!!!
At least it's good, the action, and the lines.

IdleRover

I liked episodes 2 and 3, soldiered through episode 1, and rolled my eyes through most of episode 4.

I think the city storyline could have used a couple more episodes. The resolution felt very rushed.

arigato

Haven't seen an anime of this quality for some time so this was certainly a breath of fresh air. I wasn't bothered by there only being four episodes seeing as I much rather have quality over quantity. Between this and the Dark Crystal prequel are my two most anticipated Netflix originals.

I hate the concept. "Good people shall suffer to save disgusting shit and they for sure will not be thankful."

I hate medieval theme stories.

mdzapeer

Saw all 4 episodes, really liked it, far surpassed my expectations. The quick pacing also helped.

The inclusion of humor was well done as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thought this was pretty mediocre overall. Voice acting is boilerplate at best. And the sound effects lacked impact. Plus, the pacing of the show is just off. Characters will give pertinent information in expository scenes, then it's repeated later in the same scene. Very odd to see this play out in animation since they have to be very mindful of time to keep the budget in check.

I will say the animation does improve during some of the action sequences. Those scenes usually felt properly timed. And they found some inventive ways for Trevor to use his whip.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Castlevania Episodes 1-4:l

Okay, first thing is fucking first,
where the fuck is Grant DeNasty? I mean, they remembered that the Cycolps was the boss in the actual game that you needed to fight to free Sypha. So why skip over him completely?
That aside, I am reasonably impressed with the production thus far, especially since the atheistic values on display remind me way too much of the Lords of Shadow incarnation. Indeed, this is walking a tight tightrope given the upgrade in seriousness the story has gotten though thankfully also knowing when to inject some levity into the equation. I do hope the plot doesn't go the way of anime tropes because I enjoy the restrained direction. I suppose my biggest problem so far is the subpar sound mixing and/or line reads as sometimes I have really hard time understanding what is being said.

Wanderer5

Not sure if I was having that much exceptions, but this was enjoyable enough for now. I guess the biggest issue for now is that this felt like quite a slowburner to get things rolling with 4 episodes heh. Hopefully the second batch of episodes or whatever won't be too far off. Yeah there some sound mixing issues too, like at times bishop guy was sounding like he was mumbling some of his dialogue for example.

And being that this is pretty much adapting Castlevania 3, this
needs to introduce Grant Danasty!

Wow what the flying fuck

Ep 1 has an absolute killer opening, and the people they cast in this are more name actors than voice actors

They went in

What I liked:
- The visuals. I loved the art style. Reminded me heavily of Cowboy Bebop and similar stuff. That's simply my shit. You can't go wrong with an art style like this.
- Dracula. His voice, his design. Great character.
He feels almost like an anti-villain if he wouldn't blame ALL the humans for the death of his wife. But as much was already established in the games so I'll allow it.
-
Trevor vs. Alucard. HOLY SHIT was that an awesome fight! I love it!

What I found okay:
- The animation. It's not great. It's not bad. It's a bid janky but at least the poses don't look stiff or anything like that. It's still very dynamic looking but it's clearly made in the style of a 90s/early 2000s anime series.
- The narration. At some points it feels VERY compressed. At others it feels greatly expanded. It can be a bit hard to follow.

What I didn't like as much as the rest:
- The music. It was...there. It was atmospheric, but, well...The Castlevania games always had such amazing soundtracks, so I hoped there were some references to some of the games' more well known songs, but I was disappointed in that regard :(

Everything else was great. I'd rate it 4/5. Recommend it to every Castlevania fan and those interested in it.

What do you mean about R-rated as fuck, isn't this a cartoon?

This is a very gore-y and swear-y. The gore levels especially are upped to 11 in many scenes.
People getting impaled through the eye socket, babies getting eaten, blood and guts everywhere.

Just finished it. I thought it was pretty great, but I really wish they hadn't ended there for season 1 -- I WANT MORE.

Hopefully more seasons will be rolling out, and with at least as quick a turnaround as announcement-to-release of this show.

Top Bottom