• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine: Full Body Announced for the PS4 and PS Vita

Rellik

I remember playing the demo for the original and really liking it, but for some reason I never got the full game. I'll definitely have to pick it up this time.

jrDev

Odd comment. There's not a single publicly owned company that would "dislike" money. It seems to me that the decision to go PS4+Vita is dictated by limited resources. The game probably runs on the same Atlus' internal engine that Persona 5 and Persona Dancing All Night use. Releasing Ps4 and Vita versions while possibly working on adapting the engine to other platforms before releasing it there looks like a smart business decision. I can see them releasing the game in Japan first and then expand to other platforms with the localisation announcement. Tecmo-Koei style. I will probably triple-dip for a Switch version, too.

On top of that, claiming there's some "money hating" plot in corporate Japan is just silly.
There is an Engine that works on Vita and not the Xone or Switch? Wat? Wasn’t the Engine originally working on 360? Aren’t PS3 and PS4 architecture wildly different? I think if ATLUS wanted to do this they would. Hence why I understand the “hate money” sentiments...

To all the people who are looking forward to this, I'm happy for you. Four years into this generation of new consoles it would be nice to see more new IP's, and less of the remakes and re-issues.

What? There have been plenty of new games this generation. Putting out a remake does not take away from new games coming out.

Not Drake

There is an Engine that works on Vita and not the Xone or Switch?

I bet there are. Without proper tools, an engine will not work on a new system. It's not like Sony could release a PS5 today and Unreal Engine 4 would magically work with it. Atlus did not make a single game for Switch and Xbox One so far, so it's entirely possible their engine that was used in Catherine, Persona 5 and Persona DAN is not fully fuctional on these systems.

Wasn't the Engine originally working on 360?

First of all Xbox One and Xbox 360 are not the same system. Furthermore, the last X360 game developed internally at Atlus was OG Catherine in 2011. I'm sure there were enhancements, improvements and changes to the engine that make it a very different tool.

Aren't PS3 and PS4 architecture wildly different?

That's irrelevant in this case considering both systems had a game running on internal Atlus engine (Persona 5).

I think if ATLUS wanted to do this they would.

No one said the game is never coming to other systems.

Note that all I do is assume. I have no knowledge in Atlus' internal processes and game development whatsoever. What I'm sure of is that assuming some sort of technical difficulties makes more sense than "a company hates money" point of view. I would even take the argument that Sony bought the exclusivity for the game, but honestly that makes no sense considering a Vita version is in the works and we all know Sony forgot what Vita is.

Sakura

The original was too short, which would be fine if it had branching paths etc but it's an entirely linear experience with the only difference being the ending.
They put a bunch of emphasis on the "which catherine" and your decisions, etc but how you play or what you choose doesn't actually affect the way the story goes, just gets you a different ending.
This wouldn't necessarily be so bad if the story itself and gameplay were strong, but they aren't.
Here's hoping the remake provides a much improved experience.

llien

The original was too short, which would be fine if it had branching paths etc but it's an entirely linear experience with the only difference being the ending.
They put a bunch of emphasis on the "which catherine" and your decisions, etc but how you play or what you choose doesn't actually affect the way the story goes, just gets you a different ending.
This wouldn't necessarily be so bad if the story itself and gameplay were strong, but they aren't.

That's exactly how I feel.
Expectation that player would re-play entire game, just to tick different combination of chioces that have no impact, bar the last scene is... weird.

I couldn't even watch "all endings" youtube till the end.

All that despite finding the game quite enjoyable.

Narroo

The new third character is looking to be a bit much. For all the erotica for the original game's promotion material, it was actually pretty restrained. Here's to hoping that the new character doesn't muck up the writing too much. (Like, oh say Marie....)

Catherine seemed like a really cool game, so this is a treat.
Every day that Atlus doesn't give their titles a PC release is a pain, yet their comments here indicate there's some degree of hope.

They specifically didn't mention platforms during the US announcement, so PC is still a possibility...

Battlechili

Banned
They specifically didn't mention platforms during the US announcement, so PC is still a possibility...
Yeah, I saw that. It gives me hope. Though it could just be them considering whether or not to omit a Vita release as many companies have been doing of late.
Regardless of how people want their games, I'd suggest emailing service@atlus.com if you wanna encourage a particular kind of release for this game. They read them.
BaKCxV3.png

Top Bottom