• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

Opa-Pa

Beat Curly mode with true ending and all upgrades! Then tried Wind Fortress right away because I like it a lot.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with Curly or the famitracks soundtrack, but the only technical issue I had the whole game was having the music glitch out during the prelude of the true final boss battle. Otherwise the game was flawless. This really is the definitive version in my book.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, I finished Curly Mode with the true ending and all upgrades. As much as I hate to do it, I think I should probably stop playing the game. This is the 4th time I've played through it in the last week.

Still, it does bring me back to that feeling that SNES games gave me, where I just want to play through them again purely because they're fucking fun.

Opa-Pa

Is Curly Mode worth playing the game again? What are the differences?

Curly will sometimes respond to what characters are saying in funny/cute ways. But that's kind if it.

It basically just reverts the roles between her and the MC. I see it as just a neat way to spin things a bit for when you feel like replaying the game.

Opa-Pa

Which one are you missing? I unlocked them all by just beating the game once with the true ending. I'm guessing Boss Rush? It'd make sense.

BizzyBum

Damn, just beat the BSS and got the best ending. I'm not sure if I had all upgrades, how would you know? Time to tackle the challenges now that they are all unlocked. Might do a Curly mode run afterwards just to see the different dialogue.

How do you unlock the last challenge mode?

You need to acquire the Nemesis.

MikeBison

Cannot for the life of me find the last dog.

Videos from the old versions show him sleeping on the ledge near the end of the bottom of the sand zone, but he's not there for me.

Opa-Pa

Damn, just beat the BSS and got the best ending. I'm not sure if I had all upgrades, how would you know? Time to tackle the challenges now that they are all unlocked. Might do a Curly mode run afterwards just to see the different dialogue.

You should have 54 missiles and 55 HP.

Opa-Pa

These are the only two things needed for 100%?

Not sure on my missles but my best end run only had 50 HP so I missed one.

Nah I mean, this is just as far as upgrades go. There's no counter in the game to tell you how much progress you've achieved and technically it's impossible to own all weapons in the game at the same time.

There are "secret" items too that do nothing, like Chako's (that purple mimiga in Bushlands) lipstick, or the alien badge, which you get for beating Iron Head (the fish boss) without taking damage.

so what's the last message in the last page of the manual? Can't figure it out

I already completed cave story a while back on PC, but it would be nice to have a reminder on how to unlock all other mode!

thanks

BizzyBum

so what's the last message in the last page of the manual? Can't figure it out

I already completed cave story a while back on PC, but it would be nice to have a reminder on how to unlock all other mode!

thanks

Spoilers for best ending, this is the decoded message in the manual:

When Booster falls in the Labyrinth, don't talk to him. Jump across the gap instead. In the Core area, find the Tow Rope in the water and use it on Curly after you defeat the Core. Put Curly on the bed in the cabin in the Waterway. Read the book, drain Curly of water and don't leave her behind. Get the Booster v2.0 from Arthur's House. Talk to Curly and the Cthulhu in the Plantation to learn about the Mushroom. Get a Badge from the Storage Room in Mimiga Village Cemetery and examine the Badge. Talk to Ma Pignon, defeat it and feed it to Curly in the Plantation to get the Iron Bond. After defeating the Undead Core, use the trap door in the prefab building to enter the Blood Stained Sanctuary. Finish this area for the "Best Ending."

Seik

Banned
Curly will sometimes respond to what characters are saying in funny/cute ways. But that's kind if it.

It basically just reverts the roles between her and the MC. I see it as just a neat way to spin things a bit for when you feel like replaying the game.

Good enough reason to do it again in my book. I'm in my third Quote run to get the panties to unlock Curly Mode.

Seriously, I discovered the game last week and now I'm in deep love with it.

Bought it to a friend on Steam (he doesn't have a Switch) so that he can experience it. :D

Soundtrack is top notch too, did Pixel compose it too? Remastered (3D) is my jam, favorite tracks are Oppression, Running Hell and Last Cave.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I bought this game on release and have only played it once.

Darn Mighty Gunvolt Burst and ARMS. I WILL play this week!
And now I really want to buy Wonder Boy, but I HAVE to beat Cave Story first!!

Opa-Pa

Good enough reason to do it again in my book. I'm in my third Quote run to get the panties to unlock Curly Mode.

Seriously, I discovered the game last week and now I'm in deep love with it.

Bought it to a friend on Steam (he doesn't have a Switch) so that he can experience it. :D

Soundtrack is top notch too, did Pixel compose it too? Remastered (3D) is my jam, favorite tracks are Oppression, Running Hell and Last Cave.

Haha I know, right? It really is a special game. I think at this point I've bought every single release of it sans the Mac version, not only to support Pixel but because I always welcome a good excuse to replay it haha, not to mention some releases included neat new content.

And yeah, Pixel composed the entirety of the original soundtrack as well. It's pretty funny and kinda crazy how he's said in interview that he had 0 experience composing music prior to the game (unlike say, Toby Fox) because the soundtrack is one of my favorites ever. And U agree that the 3D soundtrack is pretty solid, I love its rendition of Scorching Back.

I think Pixel made the new Famitracks one too as he's tagged as the artist in the disc that comes with the physical version.

So how is it? Never played Cave Story so I'd be up for importing a good physical version. Or has there been word of an EU/AU release? Think BoI is finally coming out lol.

BizzyBum

I think it's just you... although, they don't give you a life pot, so that would make things more difficult, I suppose.

Yeah, I used the life pot during the story so that's definitely it. I was also playing on easy. lol

Though it seemed like I was doing less damage while also receiving more. This is too damn hard without a pot.

Spoilers for best ending, this is the decoded message in the manual:

When Booster falls in the Labyrinth, don't talk to him. Jump across the gap instead. In the Core area, find the Tow Rope in the water and use it on Curly after you defeat the Core. Put Curly on the bed in the cabin in the Waterway. Read the book, drain Curly of water and don't leave her behind. Get the Booster v2.0 from Arthur's House. Talk to Curly and the Cthulhu in the Plantation to learn about the Mushroom. Get a Badge from the Storage Room in Mimiga Village Cemetery and examine the Badge. Talk to Ma Pignon, defeat it and feed it to Curly in the Plantation to get the Iron Bond. After defeating the Undead Core, use the trap door in the prefab building to enter the Blood Stained Sanctuary. Finish this area for the "Best Ending."

that's not the message on the very last page, but the page juste before that!

Ok i'm dumb, i thought that the last page with the backward word was a completly different message, but it's an hint to complete the message in the page just before that! Already knew about this message and how to get the best ending, THANKS anyway!

Chorazin

Played this all day yesterday while on a sick day, totally forgot how amazing it is over the years since I played it. Which is awesome because it's basically like playing it for the first time again, and I didn't feel bad looking up the way to get the best ending either. Should finish it up tonight, definitely will play it again in the future as Curly.

Ouroboros

I wasn't going to buy this game, but Gamestop's trade in deal left me quite a large ammount of trade in credit so I took the plunge. Not only did I get the protagonist keychain, I'm already further in the game than I ever was on the PC version!

So I owned the 3DS version of this for the last few years and never played it. I bought the Switch physical version because I love the extra incentives of having the soundtrack, and instruction manual (I miss manuals, nostalgia is powerful).

I decided to play through the first boss on the 3DS to compare the differences between it and the Switch version. I stopped, played about ten minutes of the Switch copy, and ended up playing the entire game on my 3DS. The 3D was a deciding factor as I love the extra depth it gives games. And I also decided that I was going to play the game a second time for the extra content and updated graphics on the Switch version, so it all worked out fine. :) Love the game, and I'm so glad I picked up a physical copy of this gem.

So I owned the 3DS version of this for the last few years and never played it. I bought the Switch physical version because I love the extra incentives of having the soundtrack, and instruction manual (I miss manuals, nostalgia is powerful).

I decided to play through the first boss on the 3DS to compare the differences between it and the Switch version. I stopped, played about ten minutes of the Switch copy, and ended up playing the entire game on my 3DS. The 3D was a deciding factor as I love the extra depth it gives games. And I also decided that I was going to play the game a second time for the extra content and updated graphics on the Switch version, so it all worked out fine. :) Love the game, and I'm so glad I picked up a physical copy of this gem.

Physical Cave Story 3D (the one with 3D models), or the digital Cave Story+ 3D (Sprite layers have 3D depth)? I'm guessing the latter version.

Chorazin

Is there a trick to finding the "New bonus stages added, tied to the story." from the OP, or will they just show up? So far I haven't seen anything new. Are they challenges or something?

BBboy20

Pa9zZGgm.jpg

Best character? Best character.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
First time playing: I can't tell if I like this game or not like this game...

I'm up to the Labyrinth levels, just beat the boss in there. This game is... okay. I wouldn't call it Metroidvania at all - there's almost NO backtracking, which is nice. Maybe you go back and forth in the same area, but nothing like Super Metroid or SOTN.

I think the visual style is just a real turnoff for me. I understand this game's roots as an Indie Flash game, but yeah - the lack of style kinda puts me off. The music is good/okay. I don't like the floaty jump that much either, but it's okay.

I figure I may as well finish the game. I enjoy it's challenge, I like dying and having to play better to progress, that's good. I figure this game can't be that long, so I should be able to finish it over the weekend. I don't think the local co-op is going to have any appeal in my house with my wife and kids, so I doubt I will do a replay regardless of what ending I get.

Right now this game is like a 3/5 for me. It's more good than it is bad, but overall it's not wow-ing me. It's funny I keep on buying these "Metroidvania" style of games even though I'm not a huge fan of the genre. I didn't like Super Metroid or Axiom Verge - another game that got a lot of praise that wasn't for me either. I guess this game feels like that for me. I just don't enjoy the gun play. I think I'm more into the close range melee combat than the gun combat found here.

I'll do more later tonight. Again, I like that the game is challenging... makes me want to finish it for that reason alone. But I sort of wish I was playing Mighty Gunvolt Burst as I'm playing this.

Chorazin

Fuck me I forgot how stupid this gets when going for the true ending. I had to set it down before I chucked the Switch across the room.

Cannot for the life of me find the last dog.

Videos from the old versions show him sleeping on the ledge near the end of the bottom of the sand zone, but he's not there for me.

I'm having this exact same issue, missing the dog on the ledge. Looks like it's a bug in the game :(

Opa-Pa

There's an invincible wall near Jenka's house with a chest with a dog inside at the end of the path. Did you get that one?

Also Adam Prime what soundtrack are you playing with? The "Cave Story+" one is terrible and should be avoided.

There's an invincible wall near Jenka's house with a chest with a dog inside at the end of the path. Did you get that one?

Also Adam Prime what soundtrack are you playing with? The "Cave Story+" one is terrible and should be avoided.

The one with a heart container next to it? If so yes I got it, along with the one you get when you meet curly, the one in the dark room, and the one running along the bottom.

OK I figured it out. When it asks you if you want to take a dog in the sand zone residence after you meet curly, it actually is the dog on the ledge. So the one I was missing was actually back at the sand zone residence. Not sure if thats the way it's intended, weird tho.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Here's where I think the dog should be, let me know if I'm wrong. I have the 4 others.

U8ZwIoG.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure there's no dog there. Let me get my Switch and see if I can screen shot where I think it is, but I'm not sure I can backtrack there...

Actually no I can't. Let's see. It's when you start going down on hole in that section, where there are blocks you need your gun to shoot to break. It's that section above the old lady's house. Over there on the right side there is a dog print block that tips you off that's where you need to go. If you go past the old lady's house, you've gone too far. It's in the section above that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I'm using the Remastered one as recommended by this thread. I just returned to the
dragon cave, everything is hatched
about how much longer or what % of the game am I through?

Patch13

I understand this game's roots as an Indie Flash game, but yeah - the lack of style kinda puts me off.

The game wasn't a flash game. It was written in C++, and was the sort of thing that you downloaded from some board on the Internet, before flash games were really much of a thing.

Granted, the updated visual style of Cave Story+ is a little bit more reminiscent of a flash game; I like it, though I know that some people prefer the original pixels.

First time playing: I can't tell if I like this game or not like this game...

At this point, I don't know that I can really separate the game from its context. I *think* that it's actually really good, even if not to your taste. But it was also kind of the first of its kind. This was before indie games were a thing on consoles. Before even flash games and Newgrounds. It just kind of dropped from Pixel's mind, like some secret SNES game that nobody had heard about. It was wonderful and strange, and a little sacred. It's interesting to hear perspectives from people coming across it for the first time now, after so many games have been influenced by it, in an era when new games that kind of look like old games are common ...

I'm using the Remastered one as recommended by this thread. I just returned to the
dragon cave, everything is hatched
about how much longer or what % of the game am I through?

The first time I played cave story I felt the same way you did, it wasn't until I got the true ending and accepted it wasn't really a metroidvania that it really clicked and I loved it. People who say cave story is like a metroidvania do the game a disservice imo.

Also depending upon which route you take you're past the half way point. You have one more large area to do stuff in and the end game starts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's harder because of the lack of a life pot and super missiles, but otherwise it's the same.

Jeez they made the game so dark. Sand Zone looks devoid of color.

That's not an actual capture, it doesn't look that bad.

Okay, I've done great so far and I haven't had to peek at a FAQ once, but now I'm stuck. How do I repair the sprinkler?

[Nevermind, got it figured out!

Opa-Pa

Environments in general are slightly darker to take advantage to the new lighting effect exclusive to this version. All characters emanate a bit of light around them and so do your shots, it looks pretty great in movement and technically it makes sense since you're constantly traversing caves with limited light sources for the majority of the game.

Nah I mean, this is just as far as upgrades go. There's no counter in the game to tell you how much progress you've achieved and technically it's impossible to own all weapons in the game at the same time.

There are "secret" items too that do nothing, like Chako's (that purple mimiga in Bushlands) lipstick, or the alien badge, which you get for beating Iron Head (the fish boss) without taking damage.

I never knew about Chako's lipstick! And I actually obtained the alien badge this playthrough without realizing how I got it...

Environments in general are slightly darker to take advantage to the new lighting effect exclusive to this version. All characters emanate a bit of light around them and so do your shots, it looks pretty great in movement and technically it makes sense since you're constantly traversing caves with limited light sources for the majority of the game.

A toggle for the visual style would've been nice, but either way the graphics in this new version have got to be the best the game has ever looked. The pixels aren't quite... "pixel" perfect, especially docked, compared to the PC and 3DS versions, but it's still damn nice looking.

Top Bottom