• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

i can't believe I've never played this game before.

bruh you are in for a treat

The game is super replayable too; prepare to find the urge to get the best ending, beat it on hard mode, beat it as Curly, etc... It's so damn good. Crazy how polished and full of character the game is considering one dude made it.

I love this damn game

Seik

Banned
So I just got the true ending in Curly Mode, too.

That's my third time finishing the game in about a week! I have a problem. :lol

On to the Sky Fortress!

sfried

I think Pixel made the new Famitracks one too as he's tagged as the artist in the disc that comes with the physical version.
I thing somebody else arranged the Famitracks version. That person was credited by Nicalis prior to the release of Cave Story+ on their twitter.

Opa-Pa

So I just got the true ending in Curly Mode, too.

That's my third time finishing the game in about a week! I have a problem. :lol

On to the Sky Fortress!

Sky Fortress is great, it's a nice challenge that should be pretty chill for anyone who's beaten the best ending. I wish it was longer.

I thing somebody else arranged the Famitracks version. That person was credited by Nicalis prior to the release of Cave Story+ on their twitter.

Oh never mind then. They're really talented because it sounds incredibly faithful to the original.

LordKano

They're working on adding the old classic graphics through an update I suppose :
https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/881027617167622144
DDoJ3v6UIAAUbXP.jpg

rpmurphy

Picked this game up today. Not really liking it. It's really hard and my patience isn't very high. When will it pick up?
How far are you? The first major difficulty jump is the Labyrinth. Cave Story is not the kind of game I would say that you are expected to master on your first time through. If you are having trouble progressing, there's no shame in dropping down to easy difficulty.

JackelZXA

I didn't find the game hard at all. BSS being the exception.

The true ending stages are pretty tough.
(locking in that ending changed an area into an entirely different stage towards the end, and then adds a new stage and bosses at the end)

It mentioned 2player mode and even more new bonus stages in the first post of the thread. What are those? How does 2player mode work? Is there just no story in that mode? They mentioned story importance in the bonus stages? (did they actually change how they're implemented or something? I didnt like not being able to take whatever gear and upgrades you had in your save file into them. It'd be kinda cool if there was just like....an npc that let you play those levels from within the game world or something, without messing up the story or worldmap layout)

Opa-Pa

I still want to buy it because i only have zelda on the switch...

Do you hate all kinds of plarformers? Because this one puts more emphasis in combat and exploration than actual precise platforming, and unless you go for the best ending you probably won't have too hard of a time.

Outside of gameplay (which is excellent) the game has an entertaining story with cool characters and a wonderful soundtrack. And for what is worth, you can always try the freeware version on PC before buying this.

I’m sure many of us have been put off by the $30 price tag (cost me £40 to import it, quit ya whining!) but having played through the game in its entirety I can comfortably say this is the best version of Cave Story to date.

Nicalis appear to be preparing drastic content updates that will further expand the Cave Story experience but even the current base game surpasses any version that’s come before it.

For starters: It runs entirely in 16:9 widescreen
PC:
Switch:

This may sound like a subtle improvement but it drastically changes up the game, you can always see just a little further ahead and it really makes the game pop visually... speaking of visually…

Cave Story has been remastered…again
You probably got that vibe from the shot above but yes this Cave Story+ is basically Cave Story++. While sprites generally look the same as the older remaster, environments appear to have been completely redrawn. I personally love how background tiles slowly fade into a black abyss, it really adds to the isolated feeling of a cave. The new water engine is very nice, especially when Quote is fully immersed in water and the entire screen becomes disorientated. There’s also snazzy new lighting, Quote subtly illuminates his surroundings, jellyfish cause areas to burst with light. It looks fab.

The downside here is we’re stuck with these brand new visuals for now but don’t worry if you don’t like them for whatever reason, they’re patching in the option to change them shortly.

The soundtrack has been remastered….again…again

With a new version of Cave Story of course comes a new soundtrack, this time in the way of “The Famitracks”. Unlike the visuals you can actually select whichever score you want: the original, Cave Story+, the 3DS soundtrack or these new arrangements. I played the entire game with the Famitracks and they’re not bad at all, have a listen:

Character portraits have been brought to life!
I’m sure a lot of people will miss this one but character portraits have actually been animated for the first time! Not only that but their positioning is contextual, for example if King’s sprite is facing left then his floating text head will also be facing left. Very neat.

You can stack things! Including puppies!
While Cave Story is easily one of the best games of all time, it could be flawed for two brief fetch quests. One where you repeatedly have to go back and forth for Jelly and another where you have to seek 5 puppies hidden throughout Sand Zone. Yes, we can finally hold multiple versions of the same item, this includes those pesky pups. No more going back and forth! Plus it looks adorable.

There’s already a Metroid game on the Switch
Change your internal clock to Halloween, nice little surprise!

New stuff is coming

Nicalis being Nicalis, this is actually a work in progress package. Yes, it’s a bit weird the new content wasn’t ready for launch but a lot is on the way. For starters the option for older graphical outputs was recently announced and it even retains the new widescreen aspect ratio.

While including content from older versions shouldn’t exactly be praised, here’s the more exciting stuff. Co-Op. Yep, you’ll be able to play through the entire Cave Story adventure with your best pal, we don’t have many details on this mode but here’s a screen. (All patches have been given a vague Summer release date)

and that’s not all that’s been announced. We should be receiving brand new areas that are tied to the story!

While Cave Story+ on the Switch isn’t yet a complete package, it’s still the best version of Cave Story you can currently buy. Nicalis have given Cave Story a fantastic quality of life treatment and the result is the best version of one of the best video games ever made. Is $30 too much? Up to you.

Hero

Thanks for the breakdown!

I actually owned this on WiiWare and on PC/Steam but never played it. Switch version is allowing me to fit it in. Having a blast so far.

Thanks for the breakdown!

I actually owned this on WiiWare and on PC/Steam but never played it. Switch version is allowing me to fit it in. Having a blast so far.

Cave Story is one of my favourite games, I've played numerous versions multiple times and I'm absolutely thrilled with the improvements they made on Switch. I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I do! There are multiple endings that really change up the closing hours so be sure to check them out when you finish your first playthrough. There's also some cool hidden weapons :)

Nerrel

The soundtrack has been remastered....again...again

With a new version of Cave Story of course comes a new soundtrack, this time in the way of ”The Famitracks". Unlike the visuals you can actually select whichever score you want: the original, Cave Story+, the 3DS soundtrack or these new arrangements. I played the entire game with the Famitracks and they're not bad at all, have a listen:

I've never liked any of the remastered soundtracks... at all, but I'm really impressed with the famitracks. Unlike any of the other remaster options it suits the retro vibe really well and there are a few places where I prefer it to the original.

Unfortunately, the original organya doesn't sound quite right. I had a feeling something was off, but the
destroyed egg corridor
made it very clear that it's messed up. The instruments get really screeching and unpleasant in a way I don't remember in the original. I hope they bother to improve it with an update at some point, since I still think it's the best soundtrack version. They had some problems with the organya soundtrack on the original WiiWare release too and they bypassed them by using mp3 versions; maybe they'll have to do that here as well.

The only other thing I'm disappointed about is the options menu. They don't allow button mapping, which I'd really like since using L and R to swap instead of ZL and ZR doesn't make sense to me. You also can't choose integer scaling like you could on Steam, meaning that it's a little less sharp. It's nowhere near as blurry as the stretched visuals on Steam were, but it could be better all the same. If they patched up these things it would be far and away the best version.

I'm still on the fence about the visual enhancements like bloom lighting on lasers/powerup triangles and the spotlight effect; they seem a little tacked on and detract from the retro aesthetic, but they at least look pleasant. I really do like the tile fadeouts, though. It makes the image look a lot clearer. 16:9 is also obviously a major plus. I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop $30 on a game I've already bought a few times over, but after playing a while I don't regret it.

Alpha_eX

Do we have a release date for EU yet? It's just appeared in "Coming Soon" with no date.

Just import it, I got mine for £25.

Anyone else notice a weird bug where directional input just doesn't respond after you undock? Strangely, the start button and menu controls work, just nothing outside of that in that game - had to quit/restart.

I've never liked any of the remastered soundtracks... at all, but I'm really impressed with the famitracks. Unlike any of the other remaster options it suits the retro vibe really well and there are a few places where I prefer it to the original.

Unfortunately, the original organya doesn't sound quite right. I had a feeling something was off, but the
destroyed egg corridor
made it very clear that it's messed up. The instruments get really screeching and unpleasant in a way I don't remember in the original. I hope they bother to improve it with an update at some point, since I still think it's the best soundtrack version. They had some problems with the organya soundtrack on the original WiiWare release too and they bypassed them by using mp3 versions; maybe they'll have to do that here as well.

The only other thing I'm disappointed about is the options menu. They don't allow button mapping, which I'd really like since using L and R to swap instead of ZL and ZR doesn't make sense to me. You also can't choose integer scaling like you could on Steam, meaning that it's a little less sharp. It's nowhere near as blurry as the stretched visuals on Steam were, but it could be better all the same. If they patched up these things it would be far and away the best version.

I'm still on the fence about the visual enhancements like bloom lighting on lasers/powerup triangles and the spotlight effect; they seem a little tacked on and detract from the retro aesthetic, but they at least look pleasant. I really do like the tile fadeouts, though. It makes the image look a lot clearer. 16:9 is also obviously a major plus. I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop $30 on a game I've already bought a few times over, but after playing a while I don't regret it.
I think that's the major point, I don't regret it either. It sounds like a hard pill to swallow but once you've played the game and experienced the refinements they've made to the gameplay and presentation it doesn't feel like wasted money. It feels like a better take on one of the best games out there.

jariw

The soundtrack has been remastered….again…again

With a new version of Cave Story of course comes a new soundtrack, this time in the way of “The Famitracks”. Unlike the visuals you can actually select whichever score you want: the original, Cave Story+, the 3DS soundtrack or these new arrangements. I played the entire game with the Famitracks and they’re not bad at all, have a listen:

I haven't played Cave Story before, and I actually created a US account just to be able to download this game. Had no idea that the Famitracks version wasn't in the game originally. To me, the Cave Story+ and Famitracks versions are superior to the 2 other versions of the sound track.

BTW, fantastic game so far!

I haven't played Cave Story before, and I actually created a US account just to be able to download this game. Had no idea that the Famitracks version wasn't in the game originally. To me, the Cave Story+ and Famitracks versions are superior to the 2 other versions of the sound track.

BTW, fantastic game so far!

I'm not sure if it's just because the Famitracks are fresh in my mind but I think it's my favourite rendition of the the soundtrack.

Tayaya

Really glad I picked this up. I have the 3DS cart (first version I ever played) and I've got it on my PC as well, but for some reason the Switch version is the first one that's really taken hold of me and made me want to play it all the way through.

The last battles are really frigging hard, and I think it's crazy that you have to do so many consecutive fights without any healing or saving, but I was able to pull out the win once I focused on the attack patterns a little bit more. It was actually kind of refreshing in a way since newer games are so forgiving that learning patterns and memorizing them isn't something that's as critical to success anymore in games. Can't wait to go back in and get the best ending and unlock Curly Mode.

Didn't know there was even more content coming - that's awesome!

XaosWolf

The annoying thing about all this extra content is that they've already released a Physical version which by the end of the summer will have been made obsolete. =/

destroyed egg corridor
made it very clear that it's messed up.

They messed up the best track in the game!? =O

I noticed the Mimiga Village track was distorted actually. Like the volume has been boosted but with nothing extra done to soften the edges.

Mr E.

If I use an American version of the game, (I'm UK based) will updates download automatically without any issues?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't complain too much, since I obviously loved the game (playing through it 4 times in a week, along with all the challenges? Yeah, I liked it.)

But fuck's sake, finish the game before you sell it. Modern gaming is so fucking stupid.

I can't complain too much, since I obviously loved the game (playing through it 4 times in a week, along with all the challenges? Yeah, I liked it.)

But fuck's sake, finish the game before you sell it. Modern gaming is so fucking stupid.

Cave story has been a finished game for over a decade 🙃

Chorazin

If I use an American version of the game, (I'm UK based) will updates download automatically without any issues?

Yup, will have zero problems as long as they're updates, and if for some reason they're treated like free DLC just make a US account to download them.

heringer

Caved and bought the game. I have no willpower.

Anyway, I'm glad my memory sucks, because I remember almost nothing about the game, despite loving it back when I played the Wii version.

Any spoiler free guide to achieve the best ending?

Also, which soundtrack do you guys like the most? I think Remastered is my favorite.

ryushe

New stuff is coming

Nicalis being Nicalis, this is actually a work in progress package. Yes, it’s a bit weird the new content wasn’t ready for launch but a lot is on the way. For starters the option for older graphical outputs was recently announced and it even retains the new widescreen aspect ratio.
Oh shit! Really? That's awesome!

sheaaaa

Finished Cave Story for the first time and I'm a little bit underwhelmed. I didn't get the best ending and looking at how to get it, Im not the slightest bit surprised I missed it.

Tempted to start again but nothing is really drawing me back in. In an attempt to shake things up I started a new game on hard mode, which after half an hour or so is starting to kick my ass especially on boss fights, which are infuriating because of unskippable cut scenes. Wish there were a hard mode that's actually tunes the damage you give and take or enemy volume and placement or something and doesn't just limit you to pathetic health.

I feel like I missed a bunch of stuff (
traded for machine gun but I went back to gunsmith so I'm guessing you get something good for holding on to Polar Star
) but the game didn't grab me enough to dive back in.

Finished Cave Story for the first time and I'm a little bit underwhelmed. I didn't get the best ending and looking at how to get it, Im not the slightest bit surprised I missed it.

Tempted to start again but nothing is really drawing me back in. In an attempt to shake things up I started a new game on hard mode, which after half an hour or so is starting to kick my ass especially on boss fights, which are infuriating because of unskippable cut scenes. Wish there were a hard mode that's actually tunes the damage you give and take or enemy volume and placement or something and doesn't just limit you to pathetic health.

traded for machine gun but I went back to gunsmith so I'm guessing you get something good for holding on to Polar Star

Yep, hold onto your Polar Star. Good luck beating the best ending without it.

Hopefully it grows on you a little more but getting the best ending on hard mode will probably feel impossible.

Nerrel

They messed up the best track in the game!? =O

I noticed the Mimiga Village track was distorted actually. Like the volume has been boosted but with nothing extra done to soften the edges.

I think so, but I'm not sure. After going on youtube, the videos I found sound the same as the Switch version. I just don't remember it sounding this bad in the older versions of the game I've played... this is the part that really stuck out: https://youtu.be/I5Zt8WJuhQY?t=48s

I've read that the mp3 versions online weren't accurate to the original organya in the game. I'd have to go back to that part in Cave Story + to compare, but my save is nowhere near that. Either way, I switched to Famitracks at that point and enjoyed it for the rest of the game. Some tracks, like geothermal, are better in the organya though.

You will not be asking for a hard mode once you get the true ending. It's an entirely different challenge compared to the ending you saw. And yeah, you're on the right track about the polar star. Keeping it makes the game a little tougher during the middle stretch, which is another nice way to amp up the challenge.

tsundoku

How far are you? The first major difficulty jump is the Labyrinth. Cave Story is not the kind of game I would say that you are expected to master on your first time through. If you are having trouble progressing, there's no shame in dropping down to easy difficulty.
The first difficulty jump is like the Egg Corridor or Grasslands or depending on your experience even just escaping the first cave.

The Labyrinth boss is more what i'd call the first game quitting roadblock

Seik

Banned
Did not touch the game since last week-end.

THE ITCH.

I wanna start a Hard Mode game...is there a difference aside from not getting any health power-up? (Which is fucking hard for starters, I don't know how I'll do BSS with that. ;_;)

Top Bottom