• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story + (Switch) review thread

ryushe

I don't think many of you have experienced console launch windows before.

If the PS4 or PS Vita had received a physical version of Cave Story three and half months into its launch, the same thing would have happened. Early adopters are always going to be disproportionately excited for smaller releases than users of the platform will be later on in the generation.
what are you talking about?

If the PS4/Vita got physical version of Cave Story today, people would be excited.

Because that would completely miss the point of the joycons being usable as single controllers? Isn't that obvious?
It would be an optional accessory? So who gives a fuck about the point of the standard joycons.
Your thumb also needs to travel on a d-pad. It changes nothing. The buttons are small enough that it's basically the same surface area as a real d-pad.
I'm just rolling my thumb around on a normal dpad, no lifting and travel needs to happen. The buttons being small makes the issue even worse because the distance between buttons is now bigger.

This is so fucking bizarre, why do you guys defend face buttons as a proper control method.

D.Lo

This is so fucking bizarre, why do you guys defend face buttons as a proper control method.
Because it 'fucking' works perfectly with no downside for everything except fighting games?

I've played though Wonder Boy, Kamiko, Blaster Master Zero, Metal Slug, all on the joycon directional buttons and not for a second did it ever feel bad or any worse than a dpad. Essentially with both you rest your thumb over the middle and 'lean' to the sides to hit a direction.

For fighters, it is not very good. Rolling between the buttons to do special moves without the plastic bridge between them is worse.

RockmanBN

Anyone getting odd sound issues with the game? Some sounds for less than half a second don't show up. Usually it's some parts of a song or gun sound effects.

3DShovel

It's nowhere near the dualshock dpad. That's nuts.

The Switch needs a dpad focused controller as soon as humanly possible.

Just my 2c, but the DS4 has literally the worst dpad ever.

Anywho, I need to pick this up. I'll literally buy anything in my steam library on Switch, just because it's portable and an awesome place to play games.

Because it 'fucking' works perfectly with no downside for everything except fighting games?

I've played though Wonder Boy, Kamiko, Blaster Master Zero, Metal Slug, all on the joycon directional buttons and not for a second did it ever feel bad or any worse than a dpad. Essentially with both you rest your thumb over the middle and 'lean' to the sides to hit a direction.

For fighters, it is not very good. Rolling between the buttons to do special moves without the plastic bridge between them is worse.

Very true. With the exception of fighting games, it's worked for me absolutely perfectly. I never even think about the fact that it isn't a "proper" dpad when playing games.

For now though, I'm only playing fighting games using the pro controller.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't think I have ever went "ARGH, the joycons D-pad made me unable to do this thing."

It's just a goddamn D-pad.

Well... it wasn't so long ago that the 360 d-pad kinda clarified why a shitty d-pad is so problematic. I get the disdain for the joycon setup.

taoofjord

Correct. I've enjoyed using the buttons except when I try to play a fighting game. That's the only time it clearly doesn't cut it and I'm pretty sensitive to shitty controllers.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well... it wasn't so long ago that the 360 d-pad kinda clarified why a shitty d-pad is so problematic. I get the disdain for the joycon setup.

Not really the same though. The 360 D-pad made it really easy to ghost inputs that you didn't intend. I have no problems with the joycons dpad in that regard, if anything the setup makes it harder to do that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not really the same though. The 360 D-pad made it really easy to ghost inputs that you didn't intend. I have no problems with the joycons dpad in that regard, if anything the setup makes it harder to do that.

I'm just saying that I can sympathize with those who aren't keen on the compromise here. D-pads are important.

The Hermit

Because that would completely miss the point of the joycons being usable as single controllers? Isn't that obvious?

no it wont
qrK1m8b.jpg

Opa-Pa

As someone who thinks the lack of a proper d-pad is a complete travesty... Honestly, the directional buttons are just fine for this game in particular. I got a Switch today and was surprised of how well they work with this game, and I mean there aren't any diagonal inputs here so it's a non-issue.

What should I have my music settings set to. Cave story + or enhanced? What's the difference

Anything but CS+ basically, that's a pretty bad remixed soundtrack. Remastered is by the OG Super Meat Boy composer, Famitracks is exclusive to this version and is supposed to be a faithful NES rendition of the soundtrack, and the other is the original (forgot what it's called in-game).

For a first playthtough I recommend the original but you can't go wrong with any of those three.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's more that it's weirdly hyperbolic? People have preferences and I get that, but some people here makes it sound like it's the worsy thing ever.

Hell, there's a guy in here claiming that it's terrible to play platformers on keyboards and I played games like super meat boy and dustforce perfectly fine on it. As long as the input can be communicated clearly, latency is not a problem and the layout allows you to move smoothly and swiftly I don't see the problem.

Crayolan

A shitty d-pad can result in wrong inputs. 4 separate buttons are less comfortable than a d-pad and make it difficult to do diagonals, but at least they won't mess you up in the game you're playing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Lol the button dpad works fine for 99% of games. You guys are insane.

Agreed. I don't get the discussion here. What a thing to complain about, and I grew up with a NES d-pad in my hands. The button d pad is objectively 'just fine'.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Best Ending Spoiler:
Does anyone know if I'm still able to get the best ending if I talked to booster but refused to take the 0.8 item?

RM8

Agreed. I don't get the discussion here. What a thing to complain about, and I grew up with a NES d-pad in my hands. The button d pad is objectively 'just fine'.
I think it's objectively bad if there are genres that you can't really play with it. Genres that are supposed to benefit from d-pads, no less.

D.Lo

It's more that it's weirdly hyperbolic? People have preferences and I get that, but some people here makes it sound like it's the worsy thing ever.

Hell, there's a guy in here claiming that it's terrible to play platformers on keyboards and I played games like super meat boy and dustforce perfectly fine on it. As long as the input can be communicated clearly, latency is not a problem and the layout allows you to move smoothly and swiftly I don't see the problem.
People just dislike adapting or changing. Anything that isn't what they're used to must be garbage.

There is an objective physical argument against segmentation of a d-pad - in games designed around rolling from one direction to another having the centre be the same height piece of plastic will assist. But that complaint applies to all Sony d-pads as well, Sony have mostly engineered around their (completely unnecessarily segmented d-pad) problem now by reducing the space between the four segments, but PS1-PS3 were crap. Yet because of ubiquity there were less complaints.

And Sony didn't have a reason for compromise either, whereas it is obvious what is the clear advantage of the joycons being the way they are.

I think it's objectively bad if there are genres that you can't really play with it. Genres that are supposed to benefit from d-pads, no less.
'Can't really play' is purely subjective...

You can literally do every move in Street Fighter or Garou on the joycon direction buttons with 100% accuracy every time. It is not the most comfortable way to play ever, but it does not 'not work' like you imply.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
qrK1m8b

I find this image hilarious. The 10 people who would actually buy a D-Pad Joycon are the ones posting in this thread/on NeoGAF.

That thing only appeals to select gamers who have been already playing Nintendo for 30+ years. For everyone else, they grew up using an Analog stick for all their games, 2D games included. That's the most niche accessory of all time. The only people passionaiate about D-pads on controllers are old(er) gaming enthusiasts.

Heero5

qrK1m8b

I find this image hilarious. The 10 people who would actually buy a D-Pad Joycon are the ones posting in this thread/on NeoGAF.

That thing only appeals to select gamers who have been already playing Nintendo for 30+ years. For everyone else, they grew up using an Analog stick for all their games, 2D games included. That's the most niche accessory of all time. The only people passionaiate about D-pads on controllers are old(er) gaming enthusiasts.
Any game that "needs" a D-pad will be solved when the arcade sticks start to release. I've had no issues with the button pad for cave story.

RM8

Any game that "needs" a D-pad will be solved when the arcade sticks start to release. I've had no issues with the button pad for cave story.
Switch's entire point is that it's a hybrid console, this only works if you use it as a home console (I never plan on docking mine).

'Can't really play' is purely subjective...

You can literally do every move in Street Fighter or Garou on the joycon direction buttons with 100% accuracy every time. It is not the most comfortable way to play ever, but it does not 'not work' like you imply.
So if I can do all moves in a fighting game (this is not a great metric) with a dance pad, is a dance pad "objectively an okay" way to play fighting games? I disagree.

I don't get why people are so defensive - we all know why the d-pad is actually four buttons and I think it was a good decision, and necessary for the concept they had in mind. But to say four buttons is not a downgrade from a d-pad is beyond silly. I see my performance in Street Fighter and KOF varying when I use different controllers with different d-pads, that's not a non-issue.

Heero5

I play Puyo/Tetris just fine on it, with no loss of precision. They are annoying for Street Fighter but for any other genre, I've not had an issue yet.
Yeah Street Fighter can get rough. Especially as a Ryu player. Every other game has been fine so far as well. Glad to hear Puyo is ok to as I want to get that at some point.

Jesus, the Booster 2.0 final cave is crazy hard. Last time I played this years ago, I only had 0.8, so the cave was easier.

I think I rely too much on the level 3 machine gun hover ability to do good jumps.

Finally beat the game and got what I assume is the regular(bad) ending:
Carly died, booster 0.8, island falls.

The only thing unlocked was the
Sand Pit
and that was way before I beat the game. Going for that second playthrough now.

Also, Pokken Pad beats Joycons, pro controller, and even the 8bitdo SNES controllers by a long shot.

I literally cannot beat this final cave. There's just too many lava slimes placed around pretty awkward jumps.

Don't really know what to even do. I feel like I'm stuck in front of a wall.

Top Bottom