• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT: ESRAM handicap for now, but will get better

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Because a lot the games on the PS4 have been on PC or PS3 for ages. I know for some indies are a big deal, but I'm not spending $400 on a machine only to get games I can play on the PC. The PS4 simply doesn't have enough exclusive AAA experiences at launch. When I'm showing friends what the device is capable of and trying to get them to buy the machine, it won't be Doki Doki Universe and [Insert Indie game here]. It will be for Titanfall or Halo, Infamous or Uncharted. Indie games while good just don't typically offer experiences in the scale that you would get from AAA games. I'd trade half those indies and f2p for another Uncharted and other big IP at launch. I know my opinion is an unpopular one.

AAA titles are coming but you know... having the smaller and mid-tier titles to fill the gaps in between is never a bad thing. And hey.. if you looked you'd see some of those smaller titles do in fact look quite amazing as well.

Vizzeh

Banned
I still don't get the notion that X1 launch is blowing PS4's at all. it might edge it a little for very short period.

Just look at this diagram:

EDIT: CREDIT IS NOT MINE FOR CREATING THIS DIAGRAM. I just copied the image from the link provided by

Some trailers of some of those PS4 games that tend to go amiss, alot of these are day 1 for me.

Flower, Escape plan and sound shapes all in 1 trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJcwF2i_Qo

contrast (the new PSplus game) looks great.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXjt_Nku5sw
Offscreen gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmyUoACszFA

Lego Marvel super heroes - Havent really been into lego games but this looks great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYR_j7r4Nww

Need for speed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zph2UL09tLM
You can be the cops fucking up everyones game, this will probably sell big now without Driveclub

Warframe F2P... Didnt expect this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpEE2J2KaM

Resogun Free on PS+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmkYfryMbo

DC Universe F2P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKm9O7ayvQ

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Its good for consumers, but bad for anyone developing a Kinect heavy game, and bad for Microsofts ad revenues.

There's no doubt in my mind that MS is able to charge way more for ads with the accuracy Kinect offers than they are on 360.

So basically it's good for everyone because people making those kinect games can be fine with people buying a kinect camera to play their game or bundle it with the game.

I'm not much interested in Racing or Fighting. But yeah, I wouldn't buy a 720p fighting game these days. No chance. Lair, sorry, Rise, will be a catastrophe, I'm sure about that.

opinions.

they look quality titles. in the same way knack or kz look quality even if they're mind blowing games.

Curufinwe

Holiday 2014 bundle with Titanfall, extra controller, live sub and no Kinect for $349 would sell like crazy.

So all MS have to do next November is go back on almost two years of telling everyone how critical and vital Kinect is, and then take a huge loss by bundling the console with a third party game, a $60 controller, and a $60 Live subscription?

I'm sure the shareholders will be ecstatic about that.

Because a lot the games on the PS4 have been on PC or PS3 for ages. I know for some indies are a big deal, but I'm not spending $400 on a machine only to get games I can play on the PC. The PS4 simply doesn't have enough exclusive AAA experiences at launch. When I'm showing friends what the device is capable of and trying to get them to buy the machine, it won't be Doki Doki Universe and [Insert Indie game here]. It will be for Titanfall or Halo, Infamous or Uncharted. Indie games while good just don't typically offer experiences in the scale that you would get from AAA games. I'd trade half those indies and f2p for another Uncharted and other big IP at launch. I know my opinion is an unpopular one.

I thought the same. as a pc and ps3 gamer the whole (tons of games) thing doesn't apply at all. If i'd never touched them though there'd be several.

I suspect a lot of the pc free to play stuff is helping to tick boxes early on but will soon be forgotten as the big releases come. Gives something to play early on anyway.

Skeff

I still don't get the notion that X1 launch is blowing PS4's at all. it might edge it a little for very short period.

Just look at this diagram:

EDIT: CREDIT IS NOT MINE FOR CREATING THIS DIAGRAM. I just copied the image from the link provided by

missing hohokum for PS4. Nice diagram though.

Holiday 2014 bundle with Titanfall, extra controller, live sub and no Kinect for $349 would sell like crazy.

and so would a $299 Ps4 bundled with a year of PS+ advertised as 65 free games and extra controller and Uncharted 4, but neither are happening are they?

So basically it's good for everyone because people making those kinect games can be fine with people buying a kinect camera to play their game or bundle it with the game.

Nope. Add ons sell like shit. Even the original kinect, considered a wild success only sold around 30 million units, give or take. Less than half of the 360 install base.

Anyone developing a Kinect heavy game under the impression that 100% of the userbase will be ABLE to at least play their game will not be happy to find that their potential audience is now 25 to 35 percent of the xbone base.

MS talking heads (the reddit ama) have essentially said as much as well, saying that guarantees have been made to certain developers regarding Kinect.

KoopaTheCasual

I would not be suppressed if most of those games are shown at e3 next year. The same for the order since they are being kind of cagey with the release date.

Oh, I was talking about announced titles like Rime, Shadow of the Beast, Hohokum, Everybody Goes to the Rapture. But yea, we still have 10 more first party games to be announced for 2014. I expect one of them to be a big AAA, with some more small titles.

Wow PC gaming has zero exclusives? What a piece of crap!
hur hur.

Gestault

If the purpose of that diagram is to show what games are overlapping on what platforms, why exactly is it ignoring that almost half the 2013 "PS4" games are PS3 and Vita games?

prwxv3

Oh, I was talking about announced titles like Rime, Shadow of the Beast, Hohokum, Everybody Goes to the Rapture. But yea, we still have 10 more first party games to be announced for 2014. I expect one of them to be a big AAA, with some more small titles.

I was talking about sunset overdrive ect. Sony definantly have big games for 2014 hidden. I think they know they are in a good spot and they don't have to show everything they have and holding their cards have proved to be beneficial to them before.

KoopaTheCasual

If the purpose of that diagram is to show what games are overlapping on what platforms, why exactly is it ignoring that almost half the 2013 "PS4" games are PS3 and Vita games?

I don't mean to be that "Microsoft Too!" guy, but yea... MS too. I think the exclusives listed are only going talking Playstation vs Microsoft, because there's several cross-gens on both 'exclusive' list. And if they're going to include cross gen, they're missing a lot from Sony's Japan lineup.

Gestault

I don't mean to be that "Microsoft Too!" guy, but yea... MS too. I think the exclusives listed are only going talking Playstation vs Microsoft, because there's several cross-gens on both 'exclusive' list. And if they're going to include cross gen, they're missing a lot from Sony's Japan lineup.

Oh absolutely, (Zoo Tycoon is a 360 game too, for example.)

Oh absolutely, (Zoo Tycoon is a 360 game too, for example.)

To be honest I think if we took into account all the variations of exclusives (all of which certailnly have merit in looking at) it would probably be unreadable

You would have to add in available on PS3, PSV, X360 as well

That would get messy

Even though a $150 price drop in a year seems ridiculous, that bundle just screams "Just buy a 360." In a year neither ps4 or x1 main selling point should be a game you can already experience on a cheaper console that you may already own

Your opinion's actually quite popular. The popularity of that opinion could also potentially kill the gaming industry. So keep that in mind.

Phades

Nope. Add ons sell like shit. Even the original kinect, considered a wild success only sold around 30 million units, give or take. Less than half of the 360 install base.

Anyone developing a Kinect heavy game under the impression that 100% of the userbase will be ABLE to at least play their game will not be happy to find that their potential audience is now 25 to 35 percent of the xbone base.

MS talking heads (the reddit ama) have essentially said as much as well, saying that guarantees have been made to certain developers regarding Kinect.

I'd like to say that a good add on would sell well, however that wouldn't be entirely accurate. I think the core issue is that, most folks who buy a console to play games don't do it for the random gimmicks. The folks that buy consoles to have experiences, will buy those aforementioned gimmicks. I feel that the overal adoption rate of the kinect in the previous generation will be a good indicator for title adoption, in general, for titles that heavily employ the kinect in the upcoming generation in addition to, if the product ever is sold without the kinect bundled in the box. It wouldn't be any different than selling a niche title on a low adoption rate (by percentage) console or portable. You would be chasing after a small percentage of a percentage of the total whole possible and unless the game received exposure and advertising greater than the original dead island trailer, the COD franchise in general, and potentially the final fantasy series (while concurrently being a really good game overall), I have a hard time that it would change the minds of the collective gamer population out there.

Top Bottom