• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt press conference [over]

Lol I forgot to put "for now" into a spoiler. Mobile GAF messes with my posts

phew, I'll cancel the air-strike ;)

that said, I'm actually pretty keen to see how they go with an original IP. The Witcher series owes a lot to the books (which are great) so Cyberpunk might give them some freedom to explore more diverse themes.

Durante

I found another Avellone quote regarding consoles:
"Those limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience"

xenist

It is not possible for me to find the exact quote now but even Clint Hocking attributed the infinitely and "instantly" respawning checkpoints in Far Cry 2 in part to memory limitations. That it happened this way because of memory issues, that they didn't have the weeks needed to work around it and that they failed to see how much it would bother people.

Saying that the tools and their capabilites do not hugely influence the end product seems weird to me.

Fjordson

I found another Avellone quote regarding consoles:
I understand this sentiment from Obsidian considering the type of game they're trying to make with Project Eternity, but I don't see why console versions hamper what CDPR is doing. The only real difference I can think of is having to use a gamepad which I don't think hurts an action RPG that much.

Unless we're talking about the stronger tech available on PC's, in which case...you got me there. Though I trust they'll still be able to make a damn fine looking game.

Taruranto

Many things, actually, and that'c coming from me: someone who preferred the second one overall.
Just read the official forum and you will learn that a substantial vocal minority of players prefer the first one by far.

RPG Codex review of TW2 points exactly the problems of TW2 compared to the first one, imo.

as I said earlier you are just stuck in time not seeing forest for the trees and boiling down the essence of games to stuff like UI, small details which totally don't matter unless the game preserves its core. It's ok, you are not the only one.

And it's not hard to have any idea of your prejudices because almost every your post contains them. Basically every person who thinks that one platform is superior to the other is simply wrong. I think some people can't think in terms of "different", their brain is wired to binary "worse/better". Well, whatever.

Play BG2.

Then play DA:O.

Seeing any difference? The second one was released on consoles and pc, while the first one was exclusively developed for pc.

Mikeside

Play BG2.

Then play DA:O.

Seeing any difference? The second one was released on consoles and pc, while the first one was exclusively developed for pc.

BG2 isn't an action RPG, DA:O sort of is, but not really.

Play The Witcher, then play The Witcher 2.
You can clearly see that the sequel was originally made with console playability in mind and whilst it's different, it absolutely doesn't suffer for it.

Mikeside

Wat... Neither is action. One is good though.

BG2 definitely isn't an action, but yes - it's fantastic
DA:O isn't an action, but the console version very much tries. I think that one's pretty great too. I think the difference is more to do with when it was made, rather than PC vs console. Not a fair comparison, really.

Perkel

Banned
BG2 isn't an action RPG, DA:O sort of is, but not really.

Play The Witcher, then play The Witcher 2.
You can clearly see that the sequel was originally made with console playability in mind and whilst it's different, it absolutely doesn't suffer for it.

I don't want to judge games based what platforms are they using but Witcher 2 has some problems from being created with consoles in mind.

1. Item menus. List menus DON'T work well for mouse users. Grid based item menus are the best for mouse gamers. They had to do lists because grid based one don't work well for consoles.
2. Text or rather it's shortage of and it's positioning and scale. Every choice you make in game is described in few words rather that full quotes because console text needs to be big and because it is big it is cumberstone for people who use mouse.
3. Mouse lag. You can say that this is not really a problem of console/PC but there is rather good source material of games developed with consoles in mind or for consoles that suffer from this issue. In Witcher 2 it is not terrible as in New Vegas but this is noticeable. Also there is more truth to it because Witcher 1 mouse lag was nonexistent.
4. Combat system. It is created with consoles in mind. Old combat system simply would not work for consoles. It's not bad and it is not - for a game but reason why there are so little games that involve action combat ala Dark Souls on PC games are precisely controller meaning mouse and keyboard being problem for action games. First witcher had maybe a little boring combat after a while but they could make it vastly better in 2. For example i could target people all around me and Geralt would do those crazy over the top combos sometimes fluidly moving from one enemy to another and sometimes it was awesome to watch as he just speed up witch each successful timed click. But they could not evolve it if they wanted to do a console port.

This does not make a Witcher 2 a bad game it is only proof that The Witcher 2 was not created as only PC game in mind and it does suffer from that. Not graphically but in same vain as New Vegas meaning janky list menus which don't really work for PC, mouse and keyboard lag, quick menu that is not quick for pc gamers, no ability to name saves yourself, text size and placement and what is included in choices, cumberstone looting and many more of those small things that add to overall experience.

CDPR did fantastic job with TW2 but saying that they didn't change game for PC because it was also with consoles in mind is false. They did change and they did get flack from that.

Part of the reason why they got flack was that for example their UI was trying to gather two opposite sides (mouse and pad) and combine them.

I Hope CDPR will do different UI to different systems in TW3.

If you don't expect too much from it Bulletstorm is actually one of the most enjoyable FPS games released in the last few years.

I don't know what you mean by "consolized", at all.

This. I grabbed it on a whim assuming it would be a generic garbage cover based shooter.

Game was a non stopped riot and so over the top with everything it sort of made it stand out and rather unique. Some of the dialogue was cheesy and reeked of low budget b action movie but it fit with the whole scope of everything else in the game as it doesn't take itself seriously so it can get away with a lot of the stuff.

bottom line for me is that it was fun and kept me entertained from beginning to end and I still go to it every now and then.

Perkel

Banned
This. I grabbed it on a whim assuming it would be a generic garbage cover based shooter.

Game was a non stopped riot and so over the top with everything it sort of made it stand out and rather unique. Some of the dialogue was cheesy and reeked of low budget b action movie but it fit with the whole scope of everything else in the game as it doesn't take itself seriously so it can get away with a lot of the stuff.

bottom line for me is that it was fun and kept me entertained from beginning to end and I still go to it every now and then.

I also loved bulletstorm. It was the most fun shooter game i have played in years.

Top Bottom