• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt publishes its Q1 results, makes $8.5 million net profit

boskee

CD Projekt has published its financial results for Q1 2016 (January 1st - March 31st 2016).

Its revenue in that period was 87 million PLN ($22.5 million) and net profit was 32.6 million PLN ($8.5 million).

Of that sum 68.1 million PLN ($17.5) in revenue was generated by game production (mainly The Witcher 3 and HoS).

The remaining revenue (some 20 million PLN or $5 million) was generated by GOG.

Those numbers have exceeded forecasts. To put things into perspective, last year CDP has made a net loss of 2.68 million PLN ($692,587) in Q1.

Source

T.O.P

Banned
Wheneaver i see the name CD Projekt Red
giphy.gif

All deserved

couldnt be happier to see a game like witcher 3 succeeding so much. not even because of the game, even if you hate it (GOTY for me).

the dlc and constant updates to it have been great. blood and wine is my most anticipated game this summer and its an expansion pack.

Mista

Banned
They deserve it and more also! Such a committed studio that makes pure quality. Happy for them!

varkuriru

Grats to them! Did they add my $25 for the season pass? I got it yesterday :p. Heart of Stone is pretty good so far and I cant wait for Blood & Wine!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Excellent! Witcher 3 has done amazing things for them. I had never heard of them before it came out and they have quickly became one of my favourite developers out. I really can't wait to see them get bigger. They have been working on The Witcher games for about a decade now so they deserve a break from that after this year. Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be one hell of a game to look forward to.

CDPR, like Naughty Dog, can do no wrong and deserve all of the good fortune that comes to them.

Their work conditions leave something to be desired unless you're really into months of crunching away.

Hopefully some of the profit gets back to the employees, they all deserve it.

Crawl

That seems really low. I hope they can sustain their high quality games on their budgets. I'm going to buy the expansion pass once i get my new gfx card.

Elandyll

Banned
They deserve all of it and more, but makes me worried for the next 2-3 years when they go full production on Cyberpunk.

I honestly thought that residual Witcher 3 sales and GoG operations would net them more than $8m profit over a quarter...

The expansion should do good though.

jettpack

Honestly, I expected more. But then I realized they probably pay their people better than most in the industry.

Because they are in poland they actually pay their people way less. Like half of what you would make in the US. with that said, Poland is a crazy cheap place to live compared to the US. so thats part of it.

FelipeMGM

I think some people in this thread didnt get that this is only for Q1 and they didnt release any new games in that period

Its pretty great numbers

sflufan

Banned
Unless you take into account the relative dynamics of what it means to operate as a company in Poland, we have no frame of reference to say whether this is good, bad, or indifferent.

Elandyll

Banned
Huh? They've made $86 million in net profit last year. They are doing absolutely fine.
That was last year with a major release, which they won't have now for several years (unless of course they would have a side team working on a yet undisclosed project).

The expansion should provide a nice influx of cash hopefully, and they could possibly help publish smaller project which could also be very successful in their own right, but as said, I was expecting GoG to help with operations quite a bit more.

Great news for CD Projekt, especially considering those sales are from all older releases. Lol at people thinkng that number is low. The U.S. is pretty unique where a game has to sell 5 million copies and generate $300 mil to break even(most of the time).

Nikodemos

It's a shame GOG isn't used by more people. Their stuff is better than Steam's (see Bloodlines), they run more and better sales, and if you're from a non-euro, non-dollar, non-ruble country you can choose the best currency (local exchange-wise) to shop in.

It's a shame GOG isn't used by more people. Their stuff is better than Steam's (see Bloodlines), they run more and better sales, and if you're from a non-euro, non-dollar, non-ruble country you can choose the best currency (local exchange-wise) to shop in.

How is Bloodlines different on GOG?

boskee

what was the overall development cost + marketing of witcher 3 though?

Their marketing costs were financed by the distributors who then subtracted their costs from the generated sales. CDPR didn't have to pay anything up front.

Top Bottom