• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sells 1.2 million copies (platform breakdown, 200K retail), 180K amiibo

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tons of info at the link. Pulling some more in a bit.

Gamasutra said:
All Game Sales

Shovel Knight has sold 1.2 million units total! 200,000 of those units are physical retail sales. We’re still in a bit of shock here! Previously, a successful game in our portfolio would barely break 50k copies sold. Want to know the platform breakdown? Here’s a graph!
Source: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAn..._One_Million_Copies_of_Shovel_Knight_Sold.php

totalsalesdujy7.png

So, sales breakdown

Shovel Knight total sales - 1,200,000 copies (retail + download)

SK Steam (32%) - 384,000
SK 3DS (29%) - 348,000
SK Wii U (17%) - 204,000
SK PS4 (10%) - 120,000
SK XB1 (5%) - 60,000
SK PSV (4%) - 48,000
SK PS3 (1%) - 12,000
SK GOG (1%) - 12,000
SK Humble (1%) - 12,000

[Stump would like to note these are all +/- 6000 units due to the percentages being rounded.]

Before you save the graph above for your next platform vs platform discussion, there’s a few key items that are worth keeping in mind:

Our Sony and Microsoft versions did not come out until April 2015, 9 months after our initial release on PC and Nintendo systems. The Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Sony PS4 are also naturally higher in sales as they received full retail releases in October 2015. Every platform except Sony’s systems have gone on sale during some major holidays, but none of them have ever been sold for more than a 33% discount. Keeping our game at full price has been a major part of our strategy as we believe players will be more invested in the game and therefore hopefully, enjoy it more if it isn’t bought at a bargain bin price. Although Amazon Fire TV does not have enough sales to appear on the graph, it’s a bit tricky to measure because Shovel Knight was packed in with 50,000 consoles, and those sales are not accounted for in the graph. The Amazon Fire TV also released in September of 2015 – which is rather late when compared to everything else and a tall order to catch up to. Also of note, we have still not released the game in Asian territories. We plan to release in Japan in June on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U.

amiibo Figure Sales

We hope to provide a very in-depth article about how the Shovel Knight amiibo was made soon. So stay tuned for that! In the meantime, here’s a bit about its sales so far. Believe it or not, we actually ordered over 200,000 units to be manufactured and shipped all over the world. We’ve currently sold through 180,000 of those units since the amiibo figure launched January 8th.
- We spent about 1 million dollars developing Plague of Shadows over the course of a year.
- We made zero dollars selling Plague of Shadows. Whoops!

After hearing all that, you might be thinking…”Wait. you weren’t kidding! Isn’t Yacht Club currently developing two more campaigns just like Plague of Shadows!?”. The answer is…yes! From the very beginning, way back when in Kickstarter land, we’ve always done our best to scale up Shovel Knight to exceed the amazing level of support the game has received and we plan to continue doing so with the major game updates too. In the end, we just want to make great content for our fans.
Note, for a $24.99 copy of the retail game, we receive a 3-4 dollars less than our digital release, which sells for $14.99. Also, we still haven’t actually been paid for retail product due to the long tail of not knowing if all the units will sell.
Other breakdowns:

Wanna add also the retail only breakdown?

Shovel Knight retail sales - 200,000 copies

SK Retail Wii U (38%) - 76,000
SK Retail 3DS (37%) - 74,000
SK Retail PS4 (23%) - 46,000
SK Retail PC|EU Only (2%) - 4,000

5MequDQ.png

Awesome. Shovel Knight is the best "retro throwback" game I've ever played and one of the best releases of this generation. It's also one the best examples of how to manage a Kickstarter project successfully.

And there's still two more big FREE pieces of DLC coming! I love this game.

Robin64

Nice to see a lot of people experienced it on the 3DS, the game is lovely on there. Native res and beautiful 3D implementation.

eFKac

Could someone provide the previous platform breakdown? Seems to me like Xbox gained some, while Wii U lost share, but I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

Nintendo with nearly 50% of the split. Impressive. I'm aware it dropped earlier for Nintendo hardware, but given the comparative install base of say, the Wii U, compared to the PC and PS4 it's still a little surprising to see it skew so heavily.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, finally a sales update, and it's glorious :D

200,000 copies sold at retail is I'd say fantastic for the kind of title this is and the time of its release (much later than the digital one).

I loved shovel knight and have thought about rebuying on Steam. Wii U Version is where I started with since that seemed like the "right" place to play it(also because I use it so little for everything else I felt I should throw it a bone)

good for them

Kinda surprised @ Wii U outselling all Playstation systems combined.

later release, never on sale, amiibo content

Not that surprising

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
With how much hype SK got I'm surprised it has comparable numbers to Stardew Valley which really had zero hype and just came out a month ago on a single platform

Excellent. I backed it for the Wii U version, but when the physical version was announced, I bought that for the PS4. So damn worth it! Love this game!!

Fuchsdh

The bit about never steeply discounting the game seems like sound advice. If you quickly dump your prices to goose sales you're harming the game's value proposition in the consumer's mind. I don't think everyone can practice Minecraft-like levels of pricing but it helps encourage the right kind of consumers to buy your stuff.

Mpl90

Those amiibo sales, I was expecting around half of that!

_DiGiTaL_

How are you surprised ? Shovel Knight was advertised and exclusive to Nintendo and PC I believe before it ended up on the other platforms. It was heavily advertised by the devs for Nintendo and by Nintendo. Not a shocker that Nintendo pushed it this far.

georly

Wow, was NOT expecting amiibo sales to be that high.

Nintendo, let third party make amiibo for NX and you'll get more 3rd parties!

MrV4ltor

It was KSed for PC, Wii U, and 3DS. Released on Wii U 9 months before PS. So I think this mostly speaks to the positioning of the game as a Wii U game.

You know, I would've guessed that the game could at least sell an equal ammount of copies on a console with 3 times the install base of the Wii U.

FZW

its been on that platform longer than any other (except steam). Also the WiiU had it when it was a new and intriguing property. Other consoles got it late. I dont think anybody should be surprised.

They sold 180,000 Shovel Knight Amiibo?!

I wonder how many people would have said ordering 200,000 Amiibo was a smart move before the Amiibo came out?

cheesekao

You know, I would've guessed that the game could at least sell an equal ammount of copies on a console with 3 times the install base of the Wii U.
You'd think COD would sell more on PC since it has such a fuckhuge userbase but it doesn't. Userbase isn't everything.

VariantX

Well deserved. King and Specter knight campaigns when?

Who knows, all I see is an artist working his butt off in the yacht club twitch channel and if its anything like plague of shadows, going to be a huge campaign on its own. I wouldn't expect it until the end of the year tbh

Mpl90

So, sales breakdown

Shovel Knight total sales - 1,200,000 copies (retail + download)

SKSteam (32%) - 384,000
SK 3DS (29%) - 348,000
SK Wii U (17%) - 204,000
SK PS4 (10%) - 120,000
SK XB1 (5%) - 60,000
SK PSV (4%) - 48,000
SK PS3 (1%) - 12,000
SK GOG (1%) - 12,000
SK Humble (1%) - 12,000

I bought it on crossplay for PS devices, I might repurchase now that I have a N3DS to experience it again in 3D. Loved the game.

Top Bottom