• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sells 1.2 million copies (platform breakdown, 200K retail), 180K amiibo

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
How coincidental, I just pulled this off the shelf last night and was finishing up the Plague Knight campaign.

Thinking I might grab the amiibo this weekend. I don't really have a need for its features but it's a neat little statuette.

wiibomb

amazing how much it sold on Wii U and 3DS, but mostly on Wii U.

in any case, I'm pretty glad it did well, it is an amazing game

Saty

Note, for a $24.99 copy of the retail game, we receive a 3-4 dollars less than our digital release, which sells for $14.99. Also, we still haven’t actually been paid for retail product due to the long tail of not knowing if all the units will sell.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo with nearly 50% of the split. Impressive. I'm aware it dropped earlier for Nintendo hardware, but given the comparative install base of say, the Wii U, compared to the PC and PS4 it's still a little surprising to see it skew so heavily.

Is it wrong for me to assume the audience that owns Nintendo hardware is the type of audience that's more interested in games like Shovel Knight.

I would imagine a good chunk of PS4 owners having a "Why would I want a 2D game?" opinion on the matter.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Kinda surprised @ Wii U outselling all Playstation systems combined.

I think even more surprising is every platform had a sale on it during the holidays except Sony. Especially with how many Flash sales Sony does....

Has it been on sale at all on a Sony platform?

jblank83

I should play this.

Shovel Knight is a beautiful game. YachtClub knows their classic games, with Shovel Knight feeling like a long lost NES classic, in the vein of Mega Man.

It's not a short game either. There's a ton of content, including a completely free full length DLC in Plague of Shadows. Then there are 2 more free DLCs coming for King Knight and Spectre Knight.

Is it wrong for me to assume the audience that owns Nintendo hardware is the type of audience that's more interested in games like Shovel Knight.

I would imagine a good chunk of PS4 owners having a "Why would I want a 2D game?" opinion on the matter.

I mean, it was on Nintendo and Steam first, and Nintendo has pushed it way harder than anyone else (They're even publishing it in Japan)

Maybesew

I can't believe SK has hold 1.2 million and stardew valley is 1 million.

It seems like SK would have sold so many many many more

Zalman

Should do pretty well since Nintendo is actually publishing it there.

IIRC, 3DS is getting a retail release.
Yup. An amiibo bundle too:

TUCktAN.jpg

Lister

Banned
But I have it on good authority that 95% of PC sales are only humble bundles for $1.

In fact, I heard From Software has been just GIVING away copies of Dark souls 1 and 2, and THAT's why there are mroe sale son PC than on Sony's console!

Hugstable

Banned

Wasn't Playstation systems pretty much the last to get the game though? Makes sense that they would have the lowest share since, most probably got it on every other place it released before that (though many double/triple/quad dipped, I know I did lol). Wii U, 3DS, and PC were all the very first to get the game, so it's not a surprise to see that they are the 3 highest.

But I have it on good authority that 95% of PC sales are only humble bundles for $1.

In fact, I heard From Software has been just GIVING away copies of Dark souls 1 and 2, and THAT's why there are mroe sale son PC than on Sony's console!

Doesn't work when Yacht club has pointed out even in this article that it's only been on sale a few times during major holidays, and even than it still costs $10 (33% off)

Pinky

Banned

Not sure about that. I'm guessing there is a good number of indie platformers that have seen some decent success on PS4. Did Axiom Verge do pretty well? Guess it just depends on the game.

Also, as stated before, the game was marketed more towards the Nintendo SKUs and released much earlier. That would explain the higher sales on Wii U and 3DS. If it had released on all platforms simultaneously, we could've had a different outcome.

It launches on June 30th on the Wii U and 3DS in Japan, published by Nintendo no less.

There's even a snazzy amiibo bundle for the 3DS.

f98pSull.jpg

Niiiicccce!

VariantX

I can understand wanting a sale but it's really worth it at the full price.

This reminds me I need to get around to buying the 3DS version. I have the Wii U version and amiibo but there have been plenty of times where I find myself wanting to play but not home or not able to get my system if I am home.

Yep. You're getting the base game + 3 extra fully realized extra character campaigns. I don't mean like Richter mode in SOTN either, they have unique mechanics and inventories, their own storylines, stages reworked around the characters and new areas, new music, and their own endings

cheesekao

How about you not start this bullshit here.

Tadale

Really interesting sales breakdown. I got the Wii U version at release and then the PS4 physical version late last year to play through again and because the packaging was so nice.

Instro

Pretty awesome. I wonder what kind of follow-up they will make. Straight sequel, better 2D, or maybe even go 3D?

Lister

Banned
How about you not start this bullshit here.

Pointing out how the usual bullshit that gets said on other threads is false pretty much every time we have data available?

On a thread about that particular data? When should I bring it up instead? Should I PM you, first? I'm nto sure how junior modding works.

No sales on PlayStation systems = no buy from me.

Still waiting.
I was like you once. Then I caved and bought it in January. Best $15 I've spent since Battlefield 1943. I played most of it on my Vita. If you grew up with 8 or 16 bit action platformers you'll love the game.

jblank83

Pretty awesome. I wonder what kind of follow-up they will make. Straight sequel, better 2D, or maybe even go 3D?

I've asked them this question a couple of times during their Twitch streams.

They seem to be leaning towards either Shovel Knight 64 in Mario 64 style or straight sequel utilizing the development processes and tools they have already established.

They shot down the idea of a Shovel Knight SOTN/AOS/Super Metroid style.

Pinky

Banned
I've asked them this question a couple of times during their Twitch streams.

They seem to be leaning towards either Shovel Knight 64 in Mario 64 style or straight sequel utilizing the development processes and tools they have already established.

They shot down the idea of a Shovel Knight SOTN/AOS/Super Metroid style.

I wouldn't mind one bit if they did a direct sequel and stuck with the same visual style. On the other, I think a sequel done in the style of DuckTales Remastered would look quite nice too!

cheesekao

Pointing out how the usual bullshit that gets said on other threads is false pretty much every time we have data available?

On a thread about that particular data? When should I bring it up instead? Should I PM you, first? I'm nto sure how junior modding works.
By bullshit I mean being petty.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo with nearly 50% of the split. Impressive. I'm aware it dropped earlier for Nintendo hardware, but given the comparative install base of say, the Wii U, compared to the PC and PS4 it's still a little surprising to see it skew so heavily.

There's far less competition on Wii U. If you're a Wii U owner you're starving for games to play.

Magnus

Well-deserved, though given all the amazing press for the game, I was honestly hoping it did even better. (2mil+ by now)

Magnus

Yep. You're getting the base game + 3 extra fully realized extra character campaigns. I don't mean like Richter mode in SOTN either, they have unique mechanics and inventories, their own storylines, stages reworked around the characters and new areas, new music, and their own endings

...3?! There's more after Plague Knight?

There's far less competition on Wii U. If you're a Wii U owner you're starving for games to play.

There's plenty of throwback platformers on the Wii U/eShop. The only thing these sales speak to are the game's quality, Nintendo/YC's marketing efforts and the userbase's receptiveness to these types of games.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Did my part and bought Shovel Knight after all the rave reviews when it came out for the PS4. Got several of my friends to purchase it as well after I gushed about it being one of the best games, indie or otherwise, I had played in some time. Tight controls, great music, lavish attention to the pixel art, and overall just a great content filled game.

Top Bottom