• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sells 1.2 million copies (platform breakdown, 200K retail), 180K amiibo

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, sales breakdown

Shovel Knight total sales - 1,200,000 copies (retail + download)

SKSteam (32%) - 384,000
SK 3DS (29%) - 348,000
SK Wii U (17%) - 204,000
SK PS4 (10%) - 120,000
SK XB1 (5%) - 60,000
SK PSV (4%) - 48,000
SK PS3 (1%) - 12,000
SK GOG (1%) - 12,000
SK Humble (1%) - 12,000

Thanks. Adding the numbers to the OP.

Edit:

I also added a note from stump mentioning that these are all +/- 6000 due to percentage rounding.

ChaosXVI

Very well deserved. My wife got the retail Wii U version for me for Christmas and I didn't even realize it had come out. I love that it comes with a big full booklet too, really makes it feel like a complete package, instead of most games nowadays where the box feels fragile as hell and is light as a feather.

I miss the 6th gen...

Sesha

Well deserved success. So happy I backed this.

You could argue that they're validating keeping the price above a certain level by giving away gameplay DLC for free. Seems like an effective strategy.

dracula_x

Yep, congrats to the devs. Excellent game, bought it twice - on Steam and PS Vita. And I will buy it again for 3DS soon :)

It was released on the Wii U nearly a year before the PS4. And it's advertising and hype were heavily linked to Nintendo platforms.
Still good numbers, the install base on both those systems is like opposite each other. It's like when Sonic Racing Transformed sold the most on Wii U although PS3 and 360 had install base already. It's telling for the audiences.

What about the Kindle Fire TV edition?

It's actually a great version, and the Fire game controller is also really good.

There may be dozens of us!

Busaiku

How does Steamspy formulate their numbers again?
It's not huge, but there is some discrepancy (they have it at 333k +/- 13k).

LewieP

Worth noting that their strong lean to Nintendo compared to many other games (particularly games that have achieved similar numbers in total, without the Nintendo skew) can in part be explained by fairly strong marketing support from Nintendo.

Nintendo threw a reasonable amount of weight being it, presumably as part of their deal with Yatch Club to do Nintendo versions before other consoles. It was sort of a match made in heaven, it's the kind of game that will naturally appeal to a decent portion of the 3DS and Wii U audience.

I imagine there are very few million seller indie games where Nintendo offer such a large portion of sales/revenue generated, and likely any others have benefited from the kind of relationship with Nintendo as present here.

In 2015, each month we typically sold twice as much at retail when compared to digital. Into 2016, the platforms now sell about 1:1.

Great to hear. Hope to see digital-only titles make it to retail.

Maybe it's time I jumped in. This is a platformer of some kind right? I was initially turned off from playing "another sidescrolling indie game"

Is it like Wario?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks. Adding the numbers to the OP.

Wanna add also the retail only breakdown?

Shovel Knight retail sales - 200,000 copies

SK Retail Wii U (38%) - 76,000
SK Retail 3DS (37%) - 74,000
SK Retail PS4 (23%) - 46,000
SK Retail PC|EU Only (2%) - 4,000

-Horizon-

Good stuff yo.

Is that a good amount of amiibos sold? I mean its pretty much only limited to nintendo fans buying it and its not a huge nintendo series. To me that seems pretty good that they've almost sold through it all.

Good stuff yo.

Is that a good amount of amiibos sold? I mean its pretty much only limited to nintendo fans buying it and its not a huge nintendo series. To me that seems pretty good that they've almost sold through it all.

I mean, if I'd been told they were making 100k of these amiibos before now, I'd have called them insane

jblank83

Good stuff yo.

Well, it's $2,160,000 bucks worth of small plastic figs.

Seems pretty good for an indie company, minus the manufacture/shipping costs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What about the Kindle Fire TV edition?

It's actually a great version, and the Fire game controller is also really good.

There may be dozens of us!

"Although Amazon Fire TV does not have enough sales to appear on the graph, it’s a bit tricky to measure because Shovel Knight was packed in with 50,000 consoles, and those sales are not accounted for in the graph. The Amazon Fire TV also released in September of 2015 – which is rather late when compared to everything else and a tall order to catch up to."

Busaiku

Holy crap, we got a retailer breakdown as well, this is amazing.
5MequDQ.png

VARIA

I'll echo the sentiment, well deserved.

Such a polished and well made game, glad everyone has a chance to try it out, regardless of platform.

Bought Wii U + 3DS + Amiibo.

Awesome game (one of the best games of 2015), happy to give money to talented people.

Well deserved, now go make more games YCG !!! :p

Pinky

Banned
This game definitely is the love child of Mega Man and DuckTales. What a beautiful child it turned out to be too. Now, get to work on child #2!

I can understand wanting a sale but it's really worth it at the full price.

Agreed 100%.

Effect

No sales on PlayStation systems = no buy from me.

Still waiting.

I can understand wanting a sale but it's really worth it at the full price.

This reminds me I need to get around to buying the 3DS version. I have the Wii U version and amiibo but there have been plenty of times where I find myself wanting to play but not home or not able to get my system if I am home.

For a better idea of how insane the amiibo sales are, that's around a third of all Nintendo SK owners buying an amiibo, assuming only Nintendo players bought one, and that all 3DS and Wii U owners are seperate (This last one is absolutely not true, but to what extent I don't know)

Phyla

SKSteam (32%) - 384,000
SK GOG (1%) - 12,000
SK Humble (1%) - 12,000

Damn, I didn't expect a difference this big. I really wish more people would support DRM-free gaming when they are given the choice. Frankly, I don't even understand why they wouldn't. The 'convenience argument' doesn't even fly when you buy from the Humble Store, since it provides you with a Steam key in addition to an installer.

The retail version was a nice surprise Christmas Gift from my Mother in Law. My wife hinted to her. I still haven't fired it up and I wanted it pretty bad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is what I call the definition of madn-err, I mean legs

In general, the game sales are still very strong. In November 2015 we actually sold more units digitally on Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Steam in North America (our initial release platforms) than we did in the same month the previous year, November 2014.

...at least, up to that point

Contrarily to the previous point, March 2016 was our worst sales month since our initial release. Oh no!

Davey Cakes

I bought the game at launch on Wii U, and I also bought the Amiibo.

Really happy that it's successful. Fantastic game. I'm still working on the Plague of Shadows DLC.

I should play this.
If you like Mega Man and Ducktales (as Pinky said) or action platformers in general, it's a must.

Top Bottom