• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celica announced for Fire Emblem Warriors

PK Gaming

C E L I C A

On the one hand, I'm glad she gets to kick ass. On the other hand, she doesn't use magic a lot and shares animations with Marth. Definitely a character done on the cheap and added late in development...

:(

laoni

Anna is said to be a thief/assassin-class character, right? It'd make her the only one in the base game, but it would have been really strange to not have that represented at all.

Her sprite in the leak has a bow, so, I'd say she's taken on from her Adventurer class days in Fates (The other thief promotion)

Thud

Oh shit, love that they adapted her crit animation.

4e4931c56c81c788bfa94ac98eb83fdc.gif

That's not the crit you're looking for.

It's this one:

hzsn724

Well this sweetens my limited edition preorder bundle even more. Echoes is a triumph for Fire Emblem and Alm/Celica are incredible.

M-PG71C

Day one for me, pre-order and all. Just gotta find the time between it and Mario that comes out literally a week later lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I want to want this game, especially with the last couple character announcements, but man... I just can't get over the weird-PVC-figure-look that the characters have. I don't know if it's the lighting, texturing, or what, but it just looks so awful.

Just look at these two images side-by-side. It makes me sad.

I don't think you're in the majority, but you're probably not alone, considering she made it into the waifu special banner that Fire Emblem Heroes had.
Your actually making a mountain out of a molehill, its just her fitting in with the games Artstyle

OVDRobo

You know you messed up when it's a trailer featuring Celica as the noteworthy addition and lots of people are talking about Lyn again.

That crit animation looks great but I always thought the after images were supposed to be generated from sheer speed of movement while this looks like some random ninja duplication technique. Looking at the GBA sprite animation shows that it's the same, though. Probably the time between the afterimages appearing and when they strike throwing me off.

Draxal

C E L I C A

On the one hand, I'm glad she gets to kick ass. On the other hand, she doesn't use magic a lot and shares animations with Marth. Definitely a character done on the cheap and added late in development...

:(

Yeah, I'm not sure if she was rushed to get an Echoes rep in or because of bad feedback on the roster.

Probably both.
Eh. I would have gotten rid of Chrom. He doesn't do anything for me. But he's a popular character I guess. Somehow.

Chrom's the default husbando and got big VA's in both English and Japanese. I'd probably chop the rest of Awakening's roster except Robcina and everybody but Camilla and Corrin in Fates before him.

Lunar15

Weird choice. Not complaining, Celica's great, but it's just kinda odd. If you're going to include her, it would have been nice to have Alm.

Maybe it's ultimately to drum up more support for Echoes?

Yeah, I'm not sure if she was rushed to get an Echoes rep in or because of bad feedback on the roster.

Probably both.

Going to lean more on the former than the latter, since I'm not exactly sure adding Celica addresses the bad feedback. It kinda does, but I'm not sure she's the character people were clamoring for.

Neoxon

Celica looks fun & all (though from a first glance, quite a few of her animations are similar to Marth’s), but it’s kinda weird how we have Celica & not Alm alongside her (as his own character, of course). Even Tharja’s absence is a bit surprising. Are we gonna get them as DLC later down the road?

For the record, I’m referring to the leaked base roster.

Draxal

She looks fun & all, but it’s kinda weird how we have Celica & not Alm alongside her (as his own character, of course). Even Tharja’s absence is a bit surprising. Are we gonna get them as DLC later down the road?

For the record, I’m referring to the leaked base roster.

Navarre is probably in the roster right now, but wasn't on the leaked special edition.

A prominent fire emblem tradition is recruiting enemies mid battle (although Fates and Echoes kinda do away with it); and Navarre is the first character to be recruited that way.

Tharja is probably the same.

Ridley327

Celica looks fun & all (though from a first glance, quite a few of her animations are similar to Marth's), but it's kinda weird how we have Celica & not Alm alongside her (as his own character, of course). Even Tharja's absence is a bit surprising. Are we gonna get them as DLC later down the road?

For the record, I'm referring to the leaked base roster.

I'd assume so, especially since Tharja isn't the only popular female character missing from the obvious picks, as Azura didn't make it into the base game either. Amusingly, the Shadow Dragon roster is 2:1 in favor of female characters, though admittedly that sounds worse than it actually is when it's literally two females to one male character.

Lunar15

Can we have exaggerated battle animations in the non-sprite fire emblem games in the future like these? Thanks IS.

They got slightly better in Echoes. Still nowhere near the 2D levels, but it was a marked improvement. I agree that they need to be over-the-top.

Draxal

Weird choice. Not complaining, Celica's great, but it's just kinda odd. If you're going to include her, it would have been nice to have Alm.

Maybe it's ultimately to drum up more support for Echoes?

Going to lean more on the former than the latter, since I'm not exactly sure adding Celica addresses the bad feedback. It kinda does, but I'm not sure she's the character people were clamoring for.

I think the other thing is um, remember Hyrule Warriors has a specifically unbalanced roster (it was pretty much Link and Darunia and a billion women).

They got slightly better in Echoes. Still nowhere near the 2D levels, but it was a marked improvement. I agree that they need to be over-the-top.

The one thing I loved about PoR was the more muted animations that was more akin to the Snes Days (except for Aether).

Neoxon

I'd assume so, especially since Tharja isn't the only popular female character missing from the obvious picks, as Azura didn't make it into the base game either. Amusingly, the Shadow Dragon roster is 2:1 in favor of female characters, though admittedly that sounds worse than it actually is when it's literally two females to one male character.
Shit, you’re right. How could they skip over Azura with their focus on the recent games?

Lunar15

The one thing I loved about PoR was the more muted animations that was more akin to the Snes Days (except for Aether).

I think this is the first time I've seen that opinion. Most people I've talked to hate PoR's animations. Even I was pretty deflated by them after playing 7 first.

Also, looking at this roster, it makes me realize that DLC most likely will not focus on older games, but instead focus on Awakening, Fates, and Shadow Dragon. Too many weird omissions from those games.

Shit, you're right. How could they skip over Azura with their focus on the recent games?

This is something I also don't understand. She is basically the main character along with Corrin in Fates.

She will no doubt be added through DLC though (or maybe she has another function in the game?).

Ridley327

I think this is the first time I've seen that opinion. Most people I've talked to hate PoR's animations. Even I was pretty deflated by them after playing 7 first.

Also, looking at this roster, it makes me realize that DLC most likely will not focus on older games, but instead focus on Awakening, Fates, and Shadow Dragon. Too many weird omissions from those games.

We'll certainly get more missing characters from those games, but if it's anything like Hyrule Warriors, we'll definitely get older game packs along with them. Ike and Roy are dead certs, and I seriously doubt that they'll be alone.

Draxal

Don't think Awakening has any weird omissions except for Tharja and Tharja just might have a wardrobe issue that might be too troublesome to work around (then again CIA), or being a recruitable villain.

Azura and Oboro are the only really popular characters missing from Fates, but man that game really got too many reps as is.

Shadow Dragon is kinda weird in that their roster popularity is rather driven by groups. Which whitewing sister do you bring in? Abel without Cain?

Don't forget that we still don't have an explenation for Navarre. Ether their keeping some character secret or we could get a free dlc ala Cia's groups.

I would have gotten rid of all the Lords in Fates and kept Camilla, Hinoka and
Male
Corrin. There now we have like 6(?) more slots! Gimme Tharja too!
Chrom's the default husbando and got big VA's in both English and Japanese. I'd probably chop the rest of Awakening's roster except Robcina and everybody but Camilla and Corrin in Fates before him.
Aw freak. Chrom is just...oh well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Male

Aw freak. Chrom is just...oh well.
The male lords in Fate are very popular among women, sans male Corrin, so that probably wouldn't be a great idea unless they wanted to ignore that part of their fanbase.

Sterok

Sure glad we have another sword over focusing on magic. Celica is cool and all, but they could've made her more unique.

Funny that people keep saying her moves remind them of Marth when I just keep seeing Zelda's rapier from Hyrule Warriors :3

Male
Getting rid of female Corrin while keeping male Corrin would be like TecmoKoei wrapping itself in bacon, cutting itself and jumping into a pool of great white sharks. It's not something you'd do if you actually wanted a good outcome :p

Okay okay I'll shut up now with the Lord's 😅.

Still wish Alm was there though.
Takumi was the third most popular male character in the Fates poll.

Getting rid of female Corrin while keeping male Corrin would be like TecmoKoei wrapping itself in bacon, cutting itself and jumping into a pool of great white sharks. It's not something you'd do if you actually wanted a good outcome :p
Hmm....I wonder if thats why my interest in Fire Emblem has been going down recently. I just can't seem to agree with fanbases anymore.

PsionBolt

I like 9/10's map animations. Nowhere near as cool as 4/5, but at least they existed! It's been too long since we've had map animations that aren't just bumping into each other.

Shadow Dragon is kinda weird in that their roster popularity is rather driven by groups. Which whitewing sister do you bring in? Abel without Cain?

Which Whitewing? Est, and it's not close. She defined an archetype. I probably wouldn't even remember Palla's name if she hadn't been in Echoes so recently, but I'd never forget Est.
Cain or Abel? Neither, Jagen. But if you had to choose, then, Abel, because Est.
Not to dismiss what you're saying -- you're definitely right -- but I think that if they had wanted to go a different route, there were choices they could have made that would have pleased most every fan.

I know I'm being presumptuous, and I'm sure KT has its fair share of huge FE fans that are just as sad as I am, but darn it, this game's roster could have been so much cooler with a few more inspired picks.

PK Gaming

It's not so bad here, but the amount of aggrieved fanboys who can't fathom Celica without Alm is just sad.

Also Alm's got stiff competition. There are like 20 characters I'd place over him, lol.

Maybe Celica won't be a moron in this.
Or maybe she and Corrin will team up.

I'm starting to wonder if all post-awakening FEs and FE remakes (including Heroes) are going to have major characters suffering from that chronic condition often seen in horror characters where they make terrible choices that seem solely there to advance the plot rather than resemble actual decisions a real person would make :p

Draxal

It's not so bad here, but the amount of aggrieved fanboys who can't fathom Celica without Alm is just sad.

Also Alm's got stiff competition. There are like 20 characters I'd place over him, lol.

Eh, you gotta give them slack. Alm/Celica has the shadow dragon issue, they're so intrinsically linked with each other that if this game only had Alm, we'd all be going where is Celica?

I'm starting to wonder if all post-awakening FEs and FE remakes (including Heroes) are going to have major characters suffering from that chronic condition often seen in horror characters where they make terrible choices that seem solely there to advance the plot rather than resemble actual decisions a real person would make :p
Well Micaiah did it before Awakening.
Erikia as well.

Then again, I can expect bad character choices done if they justify them. Like said character is young and inexperience or somthing in that matter

Top Bottom