• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celica announced for Fire Emblem Warriors

PK Gaming

Maybe Celica won't be a moron in this.
Or maybe she and Corrin will team up.

Well Alm's nowhere in sight, so i'm sure they won't have to dumb her dumb and clumsily contrive a perfect situation for Alm to swoop in and save the day.

(A Celica/Corrin support would be amusing, though)

Draxal

Which Whitewing? Est, and it's not close. She defined an archetype. I probably wouldn't even remember Palla's name if she hadn't been in Echoes so recently, but I'd never forget Est.
Cain or Abel? Neither, Jagen. But if you had to choose, then, Abel, because Est.

I know I'm being presumptuous, and I'm sure KT has its fair share of huge FE fans that are just as sad as I am, but darn it, this game's roster could have been so much cooler with a few more inspired picks.

Est who got 514th in the heroes poll compared to Catria in the mid 100s? Abel who got benched for Cain in #FE?

It looks #FE got the big four correctly if they get Navarre in (and yes i know he's linked to Ogma, but its not a Cain or Abel situation). And it will be Camus over Jeigan.

Well Micaiah did it before Awakening.
Erikia as well.

Then again, I can expect bad character choices done if they justify them. Like said character is young and inexperience or somthing in that matter

Ah yeah, I keep forgetting Erika's blunder. Then again I never did really work out what the heck was going on with the badguy in sacred stones. It was just a constant "haha! it's all just an act!" and "no! I'm actually really possessed!" switcheroo that felt like it went on too long :/
Either way, still a daft choice by Erika.

NSESN

It's not so bad here, but the amount of aggrieved fanboys who can't fathom Celica without Alm is just sad.

Also Alm's got stiff competition. There are like 20 characters I'd place over him, lol.
The proble is inconsistency. They said that Lissa got in because you couldn't have the shepherds without her, but then they add Celica without Alm. Thats like adding Micaiah before Ike.

Busaiku

The proble is inconsistency. They said that Lissa got in because you couldn't have the shepherds without her, but then they add Celica without Alm. Thats like adding Micaiah before Ike.
The first Tellius character in Heroes was Sanaki.
I don't think Intelligent Systems actually know what they're doing.

mdubs

Banned
Put in Alm, Ike, Hector, Eirkia/Ephraim, and Micaiah, get rid of Frederick, Cordelia, Anna, and Lissa. Problem solved. No need for so many Awakening randoms in this game when there are so many other Lords not getting their due. Bleh.

Put in Alm, Ike, Hector, Eirkia/Ephraim, and Micaiah, get rid of Frederick, Cordelia, Anna, and Lissa. Problem solved. No need for so many Awakening randoms in this game when there are so many other Lords not getting their due. Bleh.

Get rid of Anna? Really?

Did you seriously just call Anna an awakening character? Do you even fire emblem bro? :p

Nice, Celica and Lyn are saving this godawful roster. Seriously, I'd have taken out half of this cast. Scrap the OC twins, throw Frederick, Cordelia, Anna, Camilla, Hinoka, Sakura, Elise and male Corrin in the garbage where they belong and give me Ike, Elincia, Alm, Mae, Rudolf, Roy, Sigurd, Seliph, Eirika, Lute, Innes, at least ONE of the Whitewings... I really hate how they filled this game with Awakening and Fates characters and at one point considered just waiting for the DLC with better characters to come. Lyn and Celica saved this game imo, tho.

Ignoring the post above me, should they have just fused Male and Female Corrin and Robin so that they wouldn't take an extra slot ala Smash?

Draxal

Ignoring the post above me, should they have just fused Male and Female Corrin and Robin so that they wouldn't take an extra slot ala Smash?

They fused them, male Corrin and fem robin aren't in the story.

Posters suggesting a meme character like Lute should just be ignored imho.

Linkark07

Banned

How can you even suggest get rid of Anna?

They technically have? As far as I can tell both female robin and male corrin don't have an active part in the story and can only be played in the side modes? I also don't think their moves differ greatly, if at all.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I remember her being announced for like over a hour and no thread was posted,gaf was sleeping

PsionBolt

Est who got 514th in the heroes poll compared to Catria in the mid 100s? Abel who got benched for Cain in #FE?

It looks #FE got the big four correctly if they get Navarre in (and yes i know he's linked to Ogma, but its not a Cain or Abel situation). And it will be Camus over Jeigan.

Admittedly, I did say I was being overly presumptuous! But yeah, there are a lot of factors to consider. Everyone has different favourites, and the ones that stand out to me won't always line up others. I get that. Still, I'm pretty confident any roster with some thought put into it would make me happy, if only we could ditch most of the Fates royals.

I wouldn't even have considered Camus -- unless you were going to put in Camus, Zeke, and Sirius for the laughs -- but of the SD cast, he is definitely one of the big names. FE has so many cool, important characters that you could probably fill a whole roster with midgame big names like him, and yet we aren't getting a single one... It's that sort of thing that makes me want to complain.

I remember her being announced for like over a hour and no thread was posted,gaf was sleeping

To be fair, poor Celica wasn't in the top 20 so while she has her fans she's not going to have the same clamour as one of the big 40 (20 males + 20 females) :p

Wait Anna is a playable character? Sis I miss that announcement?
No official announcement but they've started putting her 'archer' design in the character montages for some reason (the big images they like to plaster up for events and behind them in the stream) which is otherwise purely playable characters so far (e.g. the other OC characters outside of the twins aren't there) plus as Ridley states, the prematurely released box art.

Draxal

To be fair, poor Celica wasn't in the top 20 so while she has her fans she's not going to have the same clamour as one of the big 40 (20 males + 20 females) :p

I mean that poll was done before Echoes was released in Japan/America.

Admittedly, I did say I was being overly presumptuous! But yeah, there are a lot of factors to consider. Everyone has different favourites, and the ones that stand out to me won't always line up others. I get that. Still, I'm pretty confident any roster with some thought put into it would make me happy, if only we could ditch most of the Fates royals.

I wouldn't even have considered Camus -- unless you were going to put in Camus, Zeke, and Sirius for the laughs -- but of the SD cast, he is definitely one of the big names. FE has so many cool, important characters that you could probably fill a whole roster with midgame big names like him, and yet we aren't getting a single one... It's that sort of thing that makes me want to complain.

Yeah, they went overboard with the Awakening and Fates cast (especially with the Fates Royals where characters like Hinoka and Sakura aren't that popular). Good chance that Camus is in the base game, Validar's in, and we don't have a lance paladin in the game right now.

However even if your fave didn't make it into the game, don't kid youself, this is Koei-Tecmo, there will be a ton of dlc.

I was using the Lyn announcement thread to discuss Celica during the livestream because there was no trailer up yet.

That said, she looks interesting (if a bit boring due to using Marth's attacks with Ragnorok abilities) but hopefully fun to play as. The livestream showing her off was okay while the flying units were kinda...lame?

I don't get the people defending Anna. Just because it's a tradition of the franchise to put her in every game doesn't mean we need to be happy or accept it. Unless they do something really interesting with her, I'm not getting excited.

Why is that? I didn't even know Lute was a meme, and even if she IS a meme character, why does that mean someone's opinion should be ignored? I only suggested her because she ended up being a stand out unit every time I played through Sacred Stones and I had the notion that she was a particularly good unit. That's more than I can say for characters like Frederick, Cordelia and Lissa, buncha randoms who ARE in this game for some reason.

laoni

No official announcement but they've started putting her 'archer' design in the character montages for some reason (the big images they like to plaster up for events and behind them in the stream) which is otherwise purely playable characters so far (e.g. the other OC characters outside of the twins aren't there) plus as Ridley states, the prematurely released box art.

There was her concept art too, which, I think we all just assumed at the time was for pure shopkeeper Anna.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Concept.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170812010436

Draxal

I don't get the people defending Anna. Just because it's a tradition of the franchise to put her in every game doesn't mean we need to be happy or accept it. Unless they do something really interesting with her, I'm not getting excited.

Why is that? I didn't even know Lute was a meme, and even if she IS a meme character, why does that mean someone's opinion should be ignored? I only suggested her because she ended up being a stand out unit every time I played through Sacred Stones and I had the notion that she was a particularly good unit. That's more than I can say for characters like Frederick, Cordelia and Lissa, buncha randoms who ARE in this game for some reason.

Because it is nonsensical

You're taking randoms from a 13 year old game that was the least popular of four games that were released in a four year period (technically sold better then PoR, but don't kid yourself PoR is much more popular than Sacred Stones).

Frederick and Lissa were the two of the first four characters that you see in Awakening, and if you watched any bit of the game, they're going back to Robin's introduction for Warriors. And Awakening is >>>>>>>>>>>>> more popular than Sacred Stones. Cordelia is now the most or second most popular pegasus knight in the series (after how Int Sys butchered Caeda in the last couple of years).

Yes, this game has a recency bias, they're expecting fans of older games to pick up dlc.

I mean that poll was done before Echoes was released in Japan/America.

Fair point :3

Yeah, they went overboard with the Awakening and Fates cast (especially with the Fates Royals where characters like Hinoka and Sakura aren't that popular). Good chance that Camus is in the base game, Validar's in, and we don't have a lance paladin in the game right now.

However even if your fave didn't make it into the game, don't kid youself, this is Koei-Tecmo, there will be a ton of dlc.
Not gonna lie, Hinoka's inclusion bothers me for a few reasons (knowing she didn't exactly light up the polls yet still waltzed in and her terrible, ear-rending english VA)

Also worth noting that if we're lucky and this goes more Hyrule Warriors DLC than... well... traditional dlc then we'll get a lot for not a huge cost and regularly too :3

I don't think anyone's going to jump down your throat for not liking Anna or not being excited, but... uh... asking her to be removed is a different thing entirely if much of the fanbase seems pretty ok with it :p

I didn't even know Lute was a meme
Here you go :3

There was her concept art too, which, I think we all just assumed at the time was for pure shopkeeper Anna.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Concept.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170812010436
Yup yup! And that's the design turning up in the montages :3

They technically have? As far as I can tell both female robin and male corrin don't have an active part in the story and can only be played in the side modes? I also don't think their moves differ greatly, if at all.

And THAT is my beef with this game!

Oh well. Just hope that it doesn't fully count as a slot then.

Because it is nonsensical

You're taking randoms from a 13 year old game that was the least popular of four games that were released in a four year period (technically sold better then PoR, but don't kid yourself PoR is much more popular than Sacred Stones).

Frederick and Lissa were the two of the first four characters that you see in Awakening, and if you watched any bit of the game, they're going back to Robin's introduction. And Awakening is >>>>>>>>>>>>> more popular than Sacred Stones. Cordelia is now the most or second most popular pegasus knight in the series (after how Int Sys butchered Caeda in the last couple of years).

I dunno, if the latest two games in the franchise is all you're using as a basis when making a game that is essentially just fanservice for a franchise that is almost 30 years old, then I'd argue that you're doing it wrong. Fire Emblem has a lot more to offer than just a bunch of Fates and Awakening randos, even if they are seen as popular, and if I were KoeiTecmo I'd try to appease to fans of both classic AND modern Emblem.

And sure, Lute is "nonsensical" because she's a random character from a 13 yeard old game, but she's no more random than Frederick and Cordelia, the only difference is that they come from a much more recent entry in the series and thus are more in the "spotlight". The number of Fates and Awakening characters really soured me on those games, and that's coming from someone who DID like Awakening and could tolerate even the worst parts of Fates.

Yeah I agree, also they should have axed Fredrick and Lissa for more interesting/popular characters.

Also it's weird Alm didn't get in and yet Celica seems like the Marth clone. Of the two she should have gotten an original magical sword user move set.

Draxal

I dunno, if the latest two games in the franchise is all you're using as a basis when making a game that is essentially just fanservice for a franchise that is almost 30 years old, then I'd argue that you're doing it wrong. Fire Emblem has a lot more to offer than just a bunch of Fates and Awakening randos, even if they are seen as popular, and if I were KoeiTecmo I'd try to appease to fans of both classic AND modern Emblem.

And sure, Lute is "nonsensical" because she's a random character from a 13 yeard old game, but she's no more random than Frederick and Cordelia, the only difference is that they come from a much more recent entry in the series and thus are more in the "spotlight". The number of Fates and Awakening characters really soured me on those games, and that's coming from someone who DID like Awakening and could tolerate even the worst parts of Fates.

Frederick and Lissa aren't randos, like Lute is Frederick is the Jeigan/Seth/Titania of the game, Lissa is the Mist of the game. If a PoR dlc comes out I'd def expect a Titania/Mist to be in the pack if its more then 2 Characters. Seth is infinitely more important than Lute as well, and a much more deserving candidate

Cordelia is a rando, that happens to be extremely popular (probably the most popular pegasus knight of the series) and not from the new black sheep of the series.

Complaining about Lute not being in the base roster is like complaining about Volke not being in the Smash roster or Reina or some other random ass Fates character not being in this roster.

And THAT is my beef with this game!

Oh well. Just hope that it doesn't fully count as a slot then.
Welcome to my fury when they tried to boot female corrin into the background as much as possible in smash. She's not even allowed to share the header image for their page with male corrin, unlike Robin's which features both. Heck I didn't even think we'd get an amiibo for her, but luckily Nintendo smelled where the money was :3

Lute was legit one of my favourite characters in Sacred Stones and I never knew this existed I'm in love
Heh, well she's placed incredibly well to leave a good impression on most peeps I'd argue. She's basically a walking artillery piece that can function well for the whole game and has those sweet attack animations that gel well with the actual character's personality, so it's not surprising she has fans plus generated some meme-age :3

You do realise the reason that fates and awakening are chosen are less because of recency and more just pure sales numbers: again, awakening 'saved' fire emblem: it was for all intents and purposes for fire emblem what 'final fantasy' was to squaresoft.
Other titles WILL likely get rep eventually. Starting with shadow dragon, though they're taking their sweet time about that one :p

I don't think anyone's going to jump down your throat for not liking Anna or not being excited, but... uh... asking her to be removed is a different thing entirely if much of the fanbase seems pretty ok with it :p

At the end of the day, I'm still getting the game, and Lyn's and Celica's inclusion means I'll probably get it close to launch too, but it's just frustrating to me seeing some games get a million reps and other games get absolutely 0.

Well, that's something I never expected to see: Fire Emblem MLG memes.

Complaining about Lute not being in the base roster is like complaining about Volke not being in the Smash roster or Reina or some other random ass Fates character not being in this roster.

C'mon, it's not like I said "give me Lute or give me death", I suggested a bunch of other characters that deserved a "slot" far more than Frederick or Cordelia. And again, the main point I was trying to make is that Warriors is taking most of its roster from only two games in a franchise that has over 10 games, which to me is pretty ridiculous.

And being popular doesn't make some of these characters any less random imo. Just means they're a popular rando.

Moonlight

Banned

people are defending anna because anna is the only character in the series who can truly represent the entirety of it. no matter where you started (unless you somehow had the misfortune of only playing gaiden), anna is a recognizable face. that she's one of the three main characters of fire emblem heroes, the title where a massive part of the appeal lays in crossover fanservice, or that she's chosen as the face of FE's social media, is not a random coincidence. she may not have the upfront popular appeal that marth or ike or lyn enjoy, but she's a familiar and consistent element of the franchise that fans are generally happy to see included, and as closely associated with the franchise as any of them. in a game that's been heavily criticized for not being fully representative of FE as a whole you wanna get rid of the one character that does just that?

and you don't need to be 'happy' about it but you don't have to be incredulous about why people like seeing her or how she deserves to be in any more over whichever random army character you liked from a previous title. don't get me wrong either, i love tons of random army characters. the large majority of the characters i like the most are random army characters who will never actually get acknowledged outside of a game like heroes. but you can either admit that you want a roster that caters to your wants specifically and not pitch it as who actually 'deserves' to be there, because anna has around 13 games worth of reasons (edit: 14, i forgot #FE was a thing for a second. maybe i'm forgetting more, lmao).

and honestly, a character who not only has an entire history of a franchise behind her to draw from, but also already has a unique concept in a game where truly unique concepts are hard to come by, as a gold-hungry merchant, she has numerous game reasons why she'd be more introducing to include than the large majority of random units you might prefer over her.

PK Gaming

Problem 1) She's not a particularly good unit without heavy investment. Frederick and Cordelia are much better units. Hell, I bet Lissa's more useful.

Problem 2) People fawn over he because she's a cute mage girl, and they're a dime dozen in this franchise. Why should Lute get in over Linde/Lilina/Lute/Illyana/etc? She's pretty much at the back of the list.

Frederick has recency backing him, but he's also one of the few notable Axe mounted units and a pretty memorable character overall, hence his inclusion. And Cordelia is easily the most popular Pegasus Knight in the franchise, so she's a lock. And that's not even getting into how iconic Anna is; she's practically the series mascot.

Lute is a low priority character if I ever saw one. Donnel tier.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

To not be ok with Anna getting in is to admit that your not much of a FE fan in the 1st place

Top Bottom