• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

TGMIII

How does MK8 run these days? Last I saw it was only realistically playable on time trial with specific tracks and there was still some lighting issues.

Is the full Grand Prix playable without many issues?

kabel

When Wii U emulation started getting attention, I just assumed it wouldn't be something I could run on my computer, but apparently the emulator runs well on a 970, 4670K? Was the Wii U really that far behind technically? What makes Wii U emulation farther along than say, 360 emulation (I know that PS3 has weird architecture problems)?

WiiU CPU is based on Power PC Gen3 micro-architecture which was also used in the Wii and Game Cube. The micro-architecture is from 1997.

I guess they learned alot from GC and Wii emulation.

fun fact: One core of the X360 CPU is the same size as the whole WiiU CPU which has three cores. 33mm² vs. 28mm²

Mifec

How does MK8 run these days? Last I saw it was only realistically playable on time trial with specific tracks and there was still some lighting issues.

Is the full Grand Prix playable without many issues?

Fully playable without issue at 4k provided you have a good CPU.

theultimo

WiiU CPU is based on Power PC Gen3 micro-architecture which was also used in the Wii and Game Cube. The micro-architecture is from 1997.

I guess they learned alot from GC and Wii emulation.

fun fact: One core of the X360 CPU is the same size as the whole WiiU CPU. 33mm² vs. 28mm²
Power pc recompliation has been improving system wide selection since pearpc. Apples contract for rosetta shows how perfect powerpc emulation can be, its just a matter of time.

Finally dusted off XCX since stopping playing an hour in on the wiiu, looks amazing at 4k.

Dumped BOTW from my wiiu but yeah im waiting a bit for that, its playable but rough yet.

(using a 6600k@4.5 and 1060 6gb)

wow, the video exzap released made it look a lot worse that those screenshots, the grass missing just makes the game look really bad when there's nothing else going on I guess.

Welp, it's already playable? Alright then, will plug my Wii U back and use DDD tonight it seems. :p
It's not actually playable. You can get in-game, but unless you have the unpatched Europe version, you'll be running at 5 FPS, and even then there's too much broken stuff to even leave the Great Plateau.

Älg;231822486 said:
When you say playable, what do you mean exactly? Are we talking playable as in "runs without crashing" or as in "almost as on a real Wii U"?

there's tons of stuttering as you drive around as it does shader caching

the same thing happens in dolphin unless you use the ishiiruka build. without it, im not sure i'd call it playable. everyone has different standards however

jediyoshi

Älg;231822486 said:
When you say playable, what do you mean exactly? Are we talking playable as in "runs without crashing" or as in "almost as on a real Wii U"?

Here it is in 1.7.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRhV5gOtDw

This has generally been the performance for the last few months.

That would be assuming you have never played it before on Cemu.

Älg

the same thing happens in dolphin unless you use the ishiiruka build. without it, im not sure i'd call it playable. everyone has different standards however

Here it is in 1.7.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRhV5gOtDw

This has generally been the performance for the last few months.

That would be assuming you have never played it before on Cemu.

That video looks pretty reasonable. What the situation on those pre-loaded shader caches that you can download?

theultimo

Thats actually a good point: cemu needs to cache shaders in order to perform without constant stuttering.

Right out of the gate its gonna take a little bit to get proper performance.

What are the CEMU dev's position regarding async shader compiling? I know dolphin devs won't ever put that in the official builds because it's contrary to their philosophy. I personally wouldn't mind as an option not seeing a shader rendered while it's compiling for the first time instead of the main thread hanging while we wait.

LordOfChaos

Any chances to get the emu working on a 4700HQ CPU?
And what about Pokken? Does it work now?

I have nearly that, the 4770HQ. I think the question is, does yours have a dedicated GPU attached to it? While the GPU requirements aren't high, the dev is mostly supporting AMD and Nvidia graphics right now, so Intel ones, even if powerful-ish, may be buggy.

RaZoR No1

I have nearly that, the 4770HQ. I think the question is, does yours have a dedicated GPU attached to it? While the GPU requirements aren't high, the dev is mostly supporting AMD and Nvidia graphics right now, so Intel ones, even if powerful-ish, may be buggy.
I have an OCd GTX 860M (unlocked Bios)
Is it enough with a 3.4 Ghz 4700HQ?

PGamer

fucking juniors
ZNR0CKg.png

The 1.7.3 release has pushed the Patreon past the $10000 mark.

b0bbyJ03

Hey guys, I'm completely new to emulating so I have no idea where to start when I comes to getting the game files on my PC. I have ZBoW on disc. Bought the Wii U version. What do I have to do?

Seik

Banned
I would wait personally.

My us ver is 5-10 fps due to having to be in interperter mode and its missing a ton of stuff currently.

It's not actually playable. You can get in-game, but unless you have the unpatched Europe version, you'll be running at 5 FPS, and even then there's too much broken stuff to even leave the Great Plateau.

Alright then, thanks guys, will wait a bit more before trying it out.

I'll probably rip it anyway tho, with 13GB it'll take like 4-5 hours so I'll let DDD do the work during the night.

Mifec

Älg;231822486 said:
It means you can play it from start to finish without glicthes or severe framedrops.
Älg;231822898 said:
That video looks pretty reasonable. What the situation on those pre-loaded shader caches that you can download?

You go to a reddit specified for it(can't really link since it's nintendo's IP), download the cache and put it in your shader cache folder under transferable. That's it basically.

theultimo

It means you can play it from start to finish without glicthes or severe framedrops.

You go to a reddit specified for it(can't really link since it's nintendo's IP), download the cache and put it in your shader cache folder under transferable. That's it basically.
Minor note: 1.7.3 currently is reading the transferable caches, but is not using them, causing it to get rebuilt.

Not sure if its a bug or something changed, but at least with 1.7.3b caches are broken from prev version

Hari Seldon

I'm going to spend some time this weekend going down this rabbit hole. I have Bayonetta 2 on WiiU that I haven't even played yet, might as well learn how to rip that and figure out CEMU.

jediyoshi

I have a similar PC (6700K, GTX 970, 16GB DDR4 3000MHz) and BOTW runs at 4-10 fps with many long freezes in cemu 1.7.3. I probably have something very poorly configured as it's my first time using cemu.

There's an issue with 173b where the game doesn't seem to be able to run in recompiler which is where the main performance benefit would be.

1.7.3c released, removing the need to use the CPU Interpreter mode. Getting on average between 10-25 fps (with frequent stutters obviously) using the recompiler, but when not under load and after the shader cache has been built up, the game does hit 30 fps sometimes.

33237890851_279e75c398_o.png

Top Bottom