• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

I have "only" i7 4770 but many locations are only in 20 FPS. Only shrines runs stable 30. For now I stop play this game. Game is perfect and looks beautiful but with or without hacks is not much playable. With cheat engine speed hack runs relative good but still not smooth. I want the game to run as Wind Waker HD.

It's very frustrating when you see people with the same specs citing a "locked 30 everywhere including villages." There's pretty much nothing else I could do in order to improve my performance, and drops to 15-20 FPS are still pretty common.

Canklestank

Neo Member

So basically, until we see significant single core improvements in CPU's, this emulator will struggle to be "rock solid" for games that push the Wii U? Unless they can get there through optimizations, that is.

How badly would my 4.5Ghz 2500K and 1070 do?

So basically, until we see significant single core improvements in CPU's, this emulator will struggle to be "rock solid" for games that push the Wii U? Unless they can get there through optimizations, that is.

GPU is fine.

My 3770k at 4.5Ghz sucked shit (that Cheat Engine jank was the only acceptable way to play.... ugh). And the older generation the CPU is, the worse it seems to perform in CEMU\BotW.

Nick Pal

Boooo :(

The game is very enjoyable on my new 7700k, but I'm still running into a lot of places that run at sub 20 fps in Zelda (fuck that military training camp).

That's too bad but I'll take a minor improvement at this point even if it's a few more fps. I'm stuck in the sub 20 fps too. Tried everything from Speedhack to setting CPU Affinity to even cores (disabling hyperthreading didn't seem to make any difference) and I've rarely ever hit 30fps. Disabling reshade made no noticeable difference either for me.

Grassy

It's very frustrating when you see people with the same specs citing a "locked 30 everywhere including villages." There's pretty much nothing else I could do in order to improve my performance, and drops to 15-20 FPS are still pretty common.

Yeah, no-one is getting that. My guess is some people are judging based on the opening of the game which runs pretty smoothly, or just guessing without using Afterburner or another program to monitor their framerate. The start of the game and most of the time out in the open-world my framerate is around 25-30fps, but as soon as I get into a town or village(or even some random locations) my fps drops to 20 and will wildly fluctuate between 20-30fps but mostly sits around 20fps. The lowest I see it go is around ~18fps. The absolute only place I can get a "locked 30fps" is in shrines. I still think it's perfectly playable, even with the random crashes and 0.1 fps bug. I played for 5 hours yesterday, and encountered the camera lock bug about 4 times in one of the Divine Beasts, and one CTD at the end. Of course other times I can crash 3 times in 20 minutes but I have had a few good 4-5 hour sessions with no CTD's.

Specs etc:
6700K @ 4.2ghz/stock
980 Ti
16gb 2800mhz DDR4
SSD
Cemu 1.7.4c
Cemu hook 0.4.0.1
9k shader cache
4K Graphic pack/AA removal/High Res shadows
Various tweaks from the Reddit threads

I'm 30+ hours in so far and I've uncovered all the areas directly east and south of the starting location(about 6-7 regions), so I've seen a fair bit of the game so far.

jediyoshi

Do you have examples of gives that push the Wii U? Getting actual full speed on games like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Mario Kart 8 has been capable for a while now. The furthest outlier I can think of is Bayonetta 2 which hit 40s~ on real hardware, but in which case Cemu can typically at least match it.

The absolute only place I can get a "locked 30fps" is in shrines. I still think it's perfectly playable, even with the random crashes and 0.1 fps bug.

I'm 30+ hours in so far and I've uncovered all the areas directly east and south of the starting location(about 6-7 regions), so I've seen a fair bit of the game so far.

On the CEMU subreddit, you'd think people are getting better performance on their PC than you'd get on a WiiU\Switch right now. Probably just full of shit though.

Still, as you said, the game is perfectly enjoyable. I just got the master sword last night. I probably won't start taking on the divine beasts until the next patch.

Durante

Performance-wise, interestingly, this seems to be one of the few cases where you get better performance by fully disabling hyperthreading (in the BIOS) than just by locking thread affinity to real cores.

So basically, until we see significant single core improvements in CPU's, this emulator will struggle to be "rock solid" for games that push the Wii U?
It seems like almost any other game is far less demanding than Zelda.

Nick Pal

Performance-wise, interestingly, this seems to be one of the few cases where you get better performance by fully disabling hyperthreading (in the BIOS) than just by locking thread affinity to real cores.

Will have to see if that makes a difference, I thought disabling it through my Nvidia CP was the same thing.

Marmelade

What kind of difference are you observing?

Will have to see if that makes a difference, I thought disabling it through my Nvidia CP was the same thing.

NVidia CP?
Launch the task manager, go to the Cemu process and change affinity
edit: the latest cemuhook does it automatically (well this time), so you don't even have to bother anyway

Is this based on what people are saying, or your own testing? If the latter, I'd love to hear some numbers :)

Nick Pal

What kind of difference are you observing?

NVidia CP?
Launch the task manager, go to the Cemu process and change affinity
edit: the latest cemuhook does it automatically (well this time), so you don't even have to bother anyway

Yeah I've been changing the affinity each time I boot the game. Sorry I meant disabling threaded optimization through the NV CP in my previous post. I didn't know it was built into cemuhook or is that the GPUfence hack? I thought that was just for h264 video support and v-sync. Anyhow I might just disable it all together and try it through the BIOS to see if I can get rid of the texture glitches I've been getting. I'm not sure if it's emulating too fast and that's the reason for the pop-in and textures not populating properly like it's out of synch or something.

jett

D-Member
Is it possible for anyone to run BotW at 30fps without using cheat engine? Playing with that cheat engine hack just doesn't seem like an enjoyable prospect.

Marmelade

Is it possible for anyone to run BotW at 30fps without using cheat engine? Playing with that cheat engine hack just doesn't seem like an enjoyable prospect.

Simply put, no.
I have a 6700k@4.5 + 1070 and I while I mostly get 30 in the overworld, villages and other select locations can run as low as 20.

Agree on the cheat engine hack, I tried it for fun but it's definitely not for me.

What exactly does the cheat engine hack do? Any footage?

You cap the game to 10 FPS and use Cheat Engine to speed the game up by 230%.

Kinda simulates 23 FPS gameplay I guess? More consistent than playing at capped 30 with constant drops. Animations and other stuff will look sped up though. And I believe it fucks with the parry\dodge timing.

I didn't really like it all that much as it didn't feel nearly as good as proper 30 FPS in shrines did.

You cap the game to 10 FPS and use Cheat Engine to speed the game up by 230%.

Kinda simulates 23 FPS gameplay I guess. More consistent than playing at capped 30 with constant drops. Animations and other stuff will look sped up though. And I believe it fucks with the parrydodge timing.

I didn't really like it all that much.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Regarding the high RAM usage of shaders in Cemu, Nvida have said that it is being tracked as a bug internally and being worked on. Good news!

Canklestank

Neo Member
Do you have examples of gives that push the Wii U? Getting actual full speed on games like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Mario Kart 8 has been capable for a while now. The furthest outlier I can think of is Bayonetta 2 which hit 40s~ on real hardware, but in which case Cemu can typically at least match it.

Sorry, that was more of a question than a statement. I don't own a Wii-U, so I haven't downloaded Cemu or tried it. I was assuming that BOTW wasn't the only game pushing the Wii U, and that it was indicative of other games that do. I'm glad to hear that everything else is mostly full speed. The developers deserve major kudos for achieving that so quickly.

So I'm a n00b and didn't know I had to set my XMP profile in the bios to enable the advertised 3000mhz on my RAM. It was running at 2133mhz.

DId that and now the problem areas I had for framerate are actually maintaining 30.

Tried Kakariko Village and of course that still drops to 22fps, but it recovers back up to 30. Doesn't stay at 15-20 the whole time.

RAM speed makes a difference apparently.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So from what I'm reading on the compatibility list, Bayonetta 2 really isn't playable unless you disable audio or witch time?

MTC100

Banned
They did a hardware survey over on the CEMU subreddit for Breath of the Wild.

Lot's of people using that Cheat Engine method (ugh). You'd think anyone following that subreddit closely enough to see that survey would also know to drop that bogus 19k shader pack, but still a good 10% of people are using 15-20k shaders. Oy.

What exactly is cheat engine doing? It's just using frameskips, right? Other emulators have that option built in but I never found it enjoyable to use.

TriAceJP

Minor boss spoiler I guess?

2tzG0p2.jpg

Game looks unreal.

If only it would stop crashing on me :D

Ritzboof

Not really a spoiler? Just a dungeon boss.

its a gameplay spoiler to a good degree. i wouldnt have expected a
blight ganon in what looks like hyrule castle
, but now i know thats gunna happen. its not the sort of thing that lacks enough context to keep things a surprise

KHlover

Banned
its a gameplay spoiler to a good degree. i wouldnt have expected a
blight ganon in what looks like hyrule castle
, but now i know thats gunna happen. its not the sort of thing that lacks enough context to keep things a surprise
If you already know what boss this is
it probably won't happen to you

So the game doesn't save the location of shrine orbs....

If you happen to run into a crash, camera lock, or 0.1 FPS glitch while carrying an orb to a shrine, you have to start ALLLLLLL over again. And some of these take a VERY LONG TIME.

I give up on that until 1.7.5.....

Damn, does CEMU emulate Gamepad audio at all?

When I'm playing Pikmin 3 and I switch to the Gamepad, I get no audio at all, and I think it's because Pikmin 3 switches audio over to the Gamepad exclusively, and CEMU isn't giving me gamepad sound.

That's a real bummer if so.

TriAceJP

Damn, does CEMU emulate Gamepad audio at all?

When I'm playing Pikmin 3 and I switch to the Gamepad, I get no audio at all, and I think it's because Pikmin 3 switches audio over to the Gamepad exclusively, and CEMU isn't giving me gamepad sound.

That's a real bummer if so.

There is an option to switch the game to all-TV mode.

You also need a save past the tutorial as there is a part that you currently cannot get beyond.

Tried Cemu for the first time earlier. BotW is, eh...I'll stick with the WiiU version.

My system isn't great and I wasn't expecting superb performance by any means. That said, getting a 20FPS max but an average of maybe 9FPS. Just generally fluctuating all over the place, lots of freezing on decimals of 1FPS.

Oh well. Looking forward to seeing Cemu advance further over time and hopefully get to experience BotW at a stable frame rate at 4K.

There is an option to switch the game to all-TV mode.

I know, but I want to use mouse controls (ie. gamepad) and I don't wanna have to compromise sound entirely :( the game runs perfect on my PC but I'm willing to wait if I can't get gamepad sound at all.

edit: oh my god I didn't realize there was a way to use stylus controls on TV mode

I just need to figure out how to use it now

edit 2: well, I got the TV + Stylus mode working, problem is it sucks. Bummer. I'll just wait until they've got gamepad sound emulation in.

Mergesort

Is there quicksaving in cemu? I know other emulators have that. Allowing you to save wherever whenever you want. Quicksaving + autosaving as an emulator feature would be huge and would be less frustrating for some people here.

Vuze

Is there quicksaving in cemu? I know other emulators have that. Allowing you to save wherever whenever you want. Quicksaving + autosaving as an emulator feature would be huge and would be less frustrating for some people here.
Nah, Cemu doesn't have savestates (yet). I don't think it's high on the devs priority list either but I agree it would be damn sweet.

jediyoshi

There aren't savestates, devs have said not to expect them. They'd be multiple gigs each which would be a nightmare in itself.

Top Bottom