• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Mifec

the game won't run properly at 60fps. i'm getting 60fps in shrines and it makes everything run faster. so it's unplayable at 60fps and needs to be locked to 30fps.

i use a 360 controller and it's fine. the only bother you'll have is with gyro shrines i think but i think they are working on letting you use the mouse for those in a future update. fortunately there aren't a lot of gyro shrines so you can easily skip them for now.

Did you download a shader cache btw? I noticed you're having hitches your shouldn't be having.

Atolm

Will 60fps ever be possible with my current rig?

I'm planning on getting a Switch, but I really want to play this game with the Japanese dub and English subtitles.

EDIT - Does Breath of the Wild play okay with just a regular controller on Cemu?

The game was patched by Nintendo to allow different audio track/subtitle combinations.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Did you download a shader cache btw? I noticed you're having hitches your shouldn't be having.

no because i thought one of the recent updates required a new kind of cache and you couldn't use ones from older versions? has there been a new cache for the latest update released then?

Nuu

Banned
The game was patched by Nintendo to allow different audio track/subtitle combinations.

oh good.

Call me a weaboo, but I hated the English voice acting during the trailer.

the game won't run properly at 60fps. i'm getting 60fps in shrines and it makes everything run faster. so it's unplayable at 60fps and needs to be locked to 30fps.

i use a 360 controller and it's fine. the only bother you'll have is with gyro shrines i think but i think they are working on letting you use the mouse for those in a future update. fortunately there aren't a lot of gyro shrines so you can easily skip them for now.

Good on this too.

Mifec

no because i thought one of the recent updates required a new kind of cache and you couldn't use ones from older versions? has there been a new cache for the latest update released then?

Yeah they've released ones after. That's where most of your hitches come from, the game generating new shaders. I can't link you directly but just search reddit for it.

Dereck

What is the name of the program that allows you to update Wii U games that you ripped onto your PC?

I forget the name of it

Head.spawn

We should be putting more support in the open source Wii U emulator Decaf, not these trolls who make CEMU.

Why?
Cemu is closed source, not cause they want to protect their property but because they want to control the punt of money donated to them via patreon. That's bad, because essentially it means they can curb, slow down development at their own will without us knowing.

Whereas if it was open source, more Devs would support it and more work would be done.

Also, did you know Cemu has DRM built into the exes? If you're running a patreon build it'll lock you out. In the free builds it constantly pings their server sending them information about what you're running... I thought we hated DRM? Guess not anymore.

Enough with Cemu, let's move to DECAF.

If you like DECAF so much, make a thread for it. No need to push that in this thread, it's a bit of a tough sell, especially looking at their down website, github that hasn't been updated in a while, dry rotted reddit.... yeah, I'm not seeing any good reason.

I guess I'm just gonna have to wait a year or two to play Pikmin 3 in HD with mouse controls emulating the gamepad's touch, because it seems gamepad audio emulation isn't even a consideration to the devs right now, they've got more important shit to work on. Bummer for me though.

tuxfool

Banned
I guess I'm just gonna have to wait a year or two to play Pikmin 3 in HD with mouse controls emulating the gamepad's touch, because it seems gamepad audio emulation isn't even a consideration to the devs right now, they've got more important shit to work on. Bummer for me though.

Does Pikmin 3 even work well?

Seik

Banned
So I went back for some testing after some big hiatus.

Followed advice to download the latest graphic packs for, let's say, Super Mario 3D World for 2160p (4K), AA removal and High quality Shadows.

Start the game, the three graphic packs are checked, however the IQ still doesn't seems to be 4K, lots of jagged edges that shouldn't be there, doesn't look 4K. I'm using version 1.9.0b. :/

Also, just bought Bayonetta on Steam as I figured it would take a while to work properly on Cemu, holy shit does it looks good in 4K, I highly recommend this port.

jediyoshi

Start the game, the three graphic packs are checked, however the IQ still doesn't seems to be 4K, lots of jagged edges that shouldn't be there, doesn't look 4K. I'm using version 1.9.0b. :/

You mean you checked the boxes and then started the game? They need to be activated before booting. When the game is running, is there a 'Yes' next to them in the graphic pack window? Also keep in mind, resampling only occurs in fullscreen, you'll still get jaggies in windowed.

Does Pikmin 3 even work well?

Barring an issue with the tutorial, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVBnk8IzY0

Copper

So I went back for some testing after some big hiatus.

Followed advice to download the latest graphic packs for, let's say, Super Mario 3D World for 2160p (4K), AA removal and High quality Shadows.

Also, just bought Bayonetta on Steam as I figured it would take a while to work properly on Cemu, holy shit does it looks good in 4K, I highly recommend this port.

You might need to check dpi scaling in Cemu.exe properties

IbukiLordSA

Does anyone here have an issue with Bayonetta 2 on Cemu where the backgrounds flicker? It has only happened since chapter 2, the background images flash and it's really annoying because the game looks amazing and runs really well. Is there any setting I can try to fix this or do I just have to hook up my Wii U to play this again?

h0tp0ck3t

XCX update 1.8.2 seems to have fixed most of the crashes I got in New LA. Still crashing in Noctilum but hey I'll take it for near constant 30fps. And holy shit does it look so much better!

000360ECEEE0AC3AFECF47784DDC2DF75BEC19F6

elyetis

XCX update 1.8.2 seems to have fixed most of the crashes I got in New LA. Still crashing in Noctilum but hey I'll take it for near constant 30fps. And holy shit does it look so much better!
I didn't have many crash outside of Noctilum in 1.8.2, but Noctilum is a real crash fest.

FPS wise things also got better since I last tried ( cemu172b ), but after playing a couple hours with it I still saw some pretty big drop into the low 20s especially when I did the Chapter 8 mission.

All in all I'm happy to see where it's headed but I still prefer to wait for more improvements before I really try to finish the game.

Man, XBCX has such a cool art style, and such amazing designs for everything that isn't a human

(also I hate nopon)

jediyoshi

Does anyone here have an issue with Bayonetta 2 on Cemu where the backgrounds flicker? It has only happened since chapter 2, the background images flash and it's really annoying because the game looks amazing and runs really well. Is there any setting I can try to fix this or do I just have to hook up my Wii U to play this again?

Emulator bug. Improved with 1.9.0 but still an issue overall.

KyleCross

Is there a safe way to download iso's of Wii u games I already own?

You're gonna want to just rip them yourself, mate. You'd likely get some nasty malware going through download links on ISO websites and most likely they'd be split up on slow ass hosting sites with bandwidth caps. It'd take you forever, your computer would probably be compromised, the ISO could be bogus, and oh, it's illegal.

Just rip them. It's not only the right thing to do, it's the safe thing to do too. Your computer worth a couple Wii-U games?

MUnited83

For you.
You're gonna want to just rip them yourself, mate. You'd likely get some nasty malware going through download links on ISO websites and most likely they'd be split up on slow ass hosting sites with bandwidth caps. It'd take you forever, your computer would probably be compromised, the ISO could be bogus, and oh, it's illegal.

Just rip them. It's not only the right thing to do, it's the safe thing to do too. Your computer worth a couple Wii-U games?
He can just download it directly from Nintendo at full speed, no malware or slow holsters required :p. Bonus for being legal if you own them digitally. And if you own them phisically, you're still morally in the right.

Coreda

He can just download it directly from Nintendo at full speed, no malware or slow holsters required :p. Bonus for being legal if you own them digitally. And if you own them phisically, you're still morally in the right.

After looking into the Helper program more it definitely seems like the way to go, given it supports native patches as well. It's remarkable what the community has come up with.

Daedardus

Couldn't you get banned over that fact? Not that it matters to me anyway, I own every useful Wii U game physically.

Dereck

If this game is runng at 25 FPS, but pauses every 10 seconds, what do I do to make the game stop pausing?

Not pausing as in the pause button, like the game stops moving, and then goes back to 25 FPS

Mifec

If this game is runng at 25 FPS, but pauses every 10 seconds, what do I do to make the game stop pausing?

Not pausing as in the pause button, like the game stops moving, and then goes back to 25 FPS

You need to download a shader cache. Check reddit.

fersnake

i fixed it by moving the game to my SSD, cache, and cemu hook. i havent tried more cuz my cpu its not enough to play the game at 30fps (outside)

jdstorm

Banned

Wait seriously?

So if i wanted to emulate a hard to find Nintendo game could i just download it to my computer after buying it on Nintendo's web store?

jediyoshi

There we go

uh5bTHf.jpg

Still can't find the Switch shirt. From my checking, it's not armor_ 1 5 6 8 9 12 14 17 20 30 43 44 46 48 53

If SM3DW is fully playable at 60fps that would be rad... Is that a thing yet?

Aside from 1-2 levels having slight issues, yes. Most Nintendo Mario games have been playable at full speed longer than they haven't at this point.

Whereas if it was open source, more Devs would support it and more work would be done.

So you definitely don't know what you're talking about, or just pretending?

UrbanRats

I tried Zelda on 1.9.0c and it's basically unplayable for me.

I must be doing something wrong.

2500k OC at 4.0GHz.
8GB ram.

I followed the instructions for best performance (Fenceskip, Low GPU buffer cache accuracy, downloaded shader cache, etc).
Still chugs like crazy and even freezes/crawls down to 1 fps even few seconds, as i said, unplayable performance.

I doubt this is normal, since youtube videos with even older versions go much smoother, an my CPU isn't THAT bad.

EDIT: Actually, the CPU is running at stock 3.30 now, so i must have clocked it back some times ago, but still, is that the issue?.

Durante

• Pre-Haswell CPUs are significantly worse in emulators in terms of IPC, much more so than in most other use cases. (Eg. normally your 2500k might by 20% slower per MHz compared to a 7700k, but in emulators like this it might be 50%)
  • With the way CEMU operates and current Nvidia OpenGL drivers it consumes a very large amount of memory. Did you check if you were running out of RAM? Paging would explain large freeezes.

UrbanRats

• Pre-Haswell CPUs are significantly worse in emulators in terms of IPC, much more so than in most other use cases. (Eg. normally your 2500k might by 20% slower per MHz compared to a 7700k, but in emulators like this it might be 50%)
  • With the way CEMU operates and current Nvidia OpenGL drivers it consumes a very large amount of memory. Did you check if you were running out of RAM? Paging would explain large freeezes.

Tried Mario 3D World.
Performance is no doubt better, but far from ideal, with frequent drops in the 40s that create pretty big stutter (in chaotic levels, that would mean death, for sure) though the general target is 60, when it doesn't stutter.

I had the Task manager open, and memory never seemed to go above 4GB then (in 3D world), so perhaps it is my CPU (though, at least from Task Manager, it never reached 100% load, FWIW).

What do you do about the levels that require touch screen? Actually is there a way I can use my Wii U controller on PC with full functionality?

Top Bottom