• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

BANGS

Banned
So you're telling me I'm doing something illegal if I buy a game from a store, and play it on my PC.

Am I committing a felony doing this?

Might not be a felony but there may be some legal ramifications for such things... There's a reason most game sites don't let you discuss emulation in full detail, there's a legal grey area of who's responsible for what...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So you're telling me I'm doing something illegal if I buy a game from a store, and play it on my PC.

It depends on your country, but morraly I and Nintendo think its wrong.
Put it this way cemu is not good for Nintendo.

pcostabel

Gold Member

Emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the games you play. However, if the games are encrypted you are violating the DMCA when you break the encryption in order to play them on an emulator. This means that if you are using Cemu you are breaking the law.
There is an exception to the DMCA for obsolete devices:

(3) Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

The Wii U is still available even if it's not manufactured anymore so it's probably not considered obsolete yet.

Blam

Emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the games you play. However, if the games are encrypted you are violating the DMCA when you break the encryption in order to play them on an emulator. This means that if you are using Cemu you are breaking the law.
There is an exception to the DMCA for obsolete devices:

The Wii U is still available even if it's not manufactured anymore so it's probably not considered obsolete yet.

and I guess I'm doing something legal then. I usually play my games in the encrypted .wud format so I'm not really breaking encryption then.

Emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the games you play.t.

This is completely false. Stop spreading this misinformation everywhere please.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Source : https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Discussing emulation is perfectly acceptable here. Discussing piracy is not. These are two different subjects - and one does not constitute the other. Please refrain from accusing other members of breaking any local laws or violating the site's TOS (which I've quoted here for reinforcement)

D. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

If you have any questions regarding this policy, feel free to send me a PM and I would be happy to discuss it with you further in private. Thanks.

I never said it is legal to download roms.

I'll write it once again :

You wrote :
Emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the games you play.

I wrote :
Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, [...], it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

I underlined for you to make it easier to read. I've copy/pasted the all thing to show it was official.

You say it's legal to play as long as you have the original, Nintendo say it's Illegal even if you have the original

You are just wrong.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I'll write it once again :

You wrote :
Emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the games you play.

I wrote :
Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, [...], it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

I underlined for you to make it easier to read. I've copy/pasted the all thing to show it was official.

You say it's legal to play as long as you have the original, Nintendo say it's Illegal even if you have the original

You are just wrong.

It is legal if you transfer the game from your own copy.

At Sosokrates:

i think your points are worth debating, however the official emulator thread is not the place as it derails the intend of the thread.

Since you are a member i don't see why you couldn't open a topic specifically designed with this purpose in mind.

It is legal if you transfer the game from your own copy.

That is not the sentence you originaly wrote
+
Cracking the protection of the game to copy it yourself is still illegal
+
Playing it on an emulator (dowloaded or self made) is still illegal
+
You should really read the link i posted + the US Code Title 17, section 107-118 before replying, you'll still write something wrong if you don't.

When you buy a game, you accept what is in the game, including DRM. And those DRM prevent from making your own copy of the game.

In other words :
Downloading a copy is illegal regarding the company who made the game.
Making you own copy is illegal regarding the company who made the DRM.

I'll let you believe what you want, you have your own ideas about this without any argument or any source. You just want to be right, that's all !

Moreover, it's Piracy and it's not allowed here. Talking about the Emulation is ok, not piracy.

BANGS said:
I disagree... it's basically free advertising...

You should read https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp too :
What Does Nintendo Think of the Argument that Emulators are Actually Good for Nintendo Because it Promotes the Nintendo Brand to PC Users and Leads to More Sales?

Distribution of an emulator developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software hurts Nintendo's goodwill, the millions of dollars invested in research & development and marketing by Nintendo and its licensees. Substantial damages are caused to Nintendo and its licensees. It is irrelevant whether or not someone profits from the distribution of an emulator. The emulator promotes the play of illegal ROMs , NOT authentic games. Thus, not only does it not lead to more sales, it has the opposite effect and purpose.

Aklamarth

evilbreath said:
Playing it on an emulator (dowloaded or self made) is still illegal

In USA maybe. In other parts of the world emulators are not illegal. If you bought the game and the emulator has some advantages, everyone should feel free to play it on a emulator . It's as simple as that. If you didn't bought the game, it's piracy/copyright infringmnet.

Should we also stop buying cheaper second hand games because it hurts Nintendo profits ? </snicker>

Blam

That Nintendo corp speak about emulators is a joke. They use ROMs that aren't there's in their VC games.

BANGS

Banned

Well of course nintendo thinks that. They've always been scared of piracy, so scared in fact that it's dramatically effected their console designs... for the worse...

But in reality, we have tons of examples like the fall of napster and implementation of denuvo and such that prove that piracy actually leads to increased sales in the long run, and fighting piracy too aggressively leads to decreased sales...

holy crap guys. I'm just happy 1.11.3 is public so i can use that JUICY TRIPLE CORE RECOMPILER on my 7700k/1080/16GB of DDR4-4000 MHz for some juicy 4k @ 60-80fps in Kakariko and Hateno. :D

LilJoka

So hows Zelda running these days?

7700k 4.8ghz Gtx 1080 2050mhz 16gb 3200mhz ram.
4k pack, high res shadows and reflections.
60fps pretty much all the time with gx2redraw off.
60-53fps (hateno area with lots of AI) with gx2redraw on.
I use triple core recompiler, didn't see much diff between dual/triple. Triple uses more cpu though.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
A brief reminder for people who have continued to insist on taking this thread off topic after specifically being told not to do so by the moderating team. There have already been bans issued for ignoring a recent moderator intervention in this thread, if people do continue to do the same and ignore a second moderator intervention then the results for those users will be the same as it was for the people who did it the first time.

As a member, if you do feel that you have something to discuss on the rights and wrongs of emulation, it is a valid subject for discussion and as long as the discussion is within the Terms of Service of this community, you can create a thread to discuss those issues in. This really is not the thread to discuss piracy in.

Thank you.

i_karan

Neo Member
I feel pretty stupid right now, but the stutter problem I had in my BotW is because I didn't name the shader cache the right way. I just copied the .bin file in the transferable folder without naming it the way the info.txt requires. Hope this helps.

jediyoshi

1.11.4 released to public

Preview -

http://cemu.info/index.html#download

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.11.4
# Patreon release date: 2018-01-30
# Public release date: 2018-02-06

# New in 1.11.4b:

coreinit: Fixed codegen API (OSGetCodegenVirtAddrRange) to be compatible with new RPL loader

rpl: Added support for reloc types 0xFB (REL16 high) and 0xFD (REL16 low)

misc: Minor tweaks in nfp.GetNfpState
misc: Added API nn_acp.ACPIsOverAgeEx, coreinit.MEMCalcHeapSizeForUnitHeap, avm.AVMIsHDCPAvailable, avm.AVMIsHDCPOn

# New in 1.11.4:

general: Cemu will now load shareddata system fonts from mlc01/sys/title/0005001b/10042400/content/ if available
general: Slightly reduced overall memory usage

rpl: Rewrote RPL loader from scratch for better accuracy
New memory base for modules is 0x02000000

coreinit: Fixed implementation of MCP_FullDeviceList to include disconnected devices

input: Fixed GamePad rumble not working for XInput

nn_nim: Partially implemented NIM API and added IOSU nim module

nn_boss: Fixed memory corruption during BOSS file download

nn_fp: Added API GetMyPrincipalId, GetMyAccountId, GetMyScreenName, GetMyMii, CheckSettingStatusAsync, UpdatePreferenceAsync, InitializeAdmin, IsInitializedAdmin
nn_fp: Added IOSU FPD module

drmapp: Added API NupChkIsFinished()

GX2: Added -nolegacy command line parameter to disable all Intel GPU workarounds
GX2: Updated bilinear and bicubic filter to avoid issues on Intel GPUs
GX2: Fixed rare infinite loop caused by drawcalls that referenced the same texture data more than once with incompatible formats
GX2: Added support for 2D_ARRAY textures in GetTextureResInfo shader instruction
GX2: Fixed _GX2AllocFromDefaultHeap incorrectly using MEMAllocFromDefaultHeap instead of MEMAllocFromDefaultHeapEx

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Wait, what's the point of improving compatibility with Intel graphics? Has it gotten that good?

edit: mind absolutely blown...

Last edited:

Velurian

Well of course nintendo thinks that. They've always been scared of piracy, so scared in fact that it's dramatically effected their console designs... for the worse...
But in reality, we have tons of examples like the fall of napster and implementation of denuvo and such that prove that piracy actually leads to increased sales in the long run, and fighting piracy too aggressively leads to decreased sales...

Eversince Sony lost to Bleem! in court and a precedent was made, emulation has been legal.
Yes there are limitations about how to aquire games (what are you allowed to do with your media, hardware, what are you allowed to download etc) etc, but in principal, emulation is legal despite what big boys say.

Also, there has been many contradicting articles about the effects of piracy and afaik the last big study that EU ordered on the effects of piracy was never made officially public because the results where .... undesirable.
Basically they wanted to find dirt on piracy, but the results were inconclusive at best.
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pira...ccording-to-eu-commisions-report/#more-103940
*hard to know what to think about piracy tbh, in principal its bad, but if it does indeed have a positive impact on sales, then maybe not, but the bottom line for now is, that it's hard to tell and probably results across different games/publishers are different. Hurts some, helps others.
Maybe its time to make it legal, so companies can start to learn to actually cater to pirates and use it as a marketing tool or maybe just go F2P like Jim Sterling advised.

Last but not least, anyone else getting very different results on emulation performance?
Mine are all over the place. Mario Kart 8 runs quite well - on most tracks around 50-60 with little bit of stutter now and then (mostly enjoyable) but Tekken Tag Tournament has glitches and slowdown all the time.
Captain toad has no glitches but it has severe FPS spikes.

I think this is quite normal - the emulatior is still quite young and perhaps my rig is not quite up the task (i7 4710hq, 12 gb ram, 980M) but its worth asking...

Last edited:

itz_duy

Neophyte
Hello,

i’m new here and i hope anyone can help me out this issue.
I followed every step on an “Ultimate Setup Guide” from BsOd Gaming on YouTube. These Videos are really great!

But I still have an issue loading “Zelda BotW”. It compiles the Shader Caches until 100% and then it crashes always at the same point.
An Windows error message “Wii U Emulator doesn’t work anymore”.

Have this issue in the older versions,too.

My system specs:
I3 8100@3,6 Ghz
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
2x 8GB DDR4 Ram 2400 Mhz
2Tb HDD

Please help me out. Need the log.txt file?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Hello,

I followed every step on an “Ultimate Setup Guide” from BsOd Gaming on YouTube. These Videos are really great!

But I still have an issue loading “Zelda BotW”. It compiles the Shader Caches until 100% and then it crashes always at the same point.

My system specs:
I3 8100@3,6 Ghz
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
2x 8GB DDR4 Ram 2400 Mhz
2Tb HDD

Are any other games working for you? If yes, then did you install Cemu Hook as well? It's needed for BotW. If so, set your CPU set to single core first. If that works, try dual core. There's also a BotW crash box you can tick in one of the drop down menus. If that doesn't work, you may have to increase your virtual memory. I'd also disable any graphics packs and make sure the game runs before trying to push it too far.

TriAceJP

Hello,

My system specs:
I3 8100@3,6 Ghz
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
2x 8GB DDR4 Ram 2400 Mhz
2Tb HDD

Did you download a premade shader cache?

If so, delete it and try to load it again.

itz_duy

Neophyte
Thanks for your fast answers. Give me some time. I will check it at home on the weekend again. And i have sucessfully installed cemu hook into cemu. (Tutorial from BsoD Gaming on YouTube).

I could share the log.txt file. i will upload it to my hotmail cloud and share the direct link.

Yes, i can play other games like donkey kong or xenoblade chronhicles. step for step. solving this issue first. ;)

thanks a lot again!

itz_duy

Neophyte
Here are some lines i could read in the log.txt:

Patch BotW crash candidate at 0x03717aa4
Link error in shader 0086e7ebadb97735
Internal error: assembly compile error for vertex shader at offset 2092

It´s a long, long file.

I downloaded a shader cache file from a link on YouTube (Bsod Gaming)

Already tried to delete the shader file in cemu. Didnt help. Deleted the shader cache files in nvidia Open gl folder. Didnt work, too.

Randomizer

I really need a new CPU for this. My 2500K finally needs put out to pasture. Although it still plays most modern titles decently at the 2560x1080. Too bad I’d need to get a whole new board, CPU and DDR4 ram just to upgrade. And with prices the way they are because of crypto-currency I can’t really justify it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I really need a new CPU for this. My 2500K finally needs put out to pasture. Although it still plays most modern titles decently at the 2560x1080. Too bad I’d need to get a whole new board, CPU and DDR4 ram just to upgrade. And with prices the way they are because of crypto-currency I can’t really justify it.
I'm still on a 2600K w/8GB of DDR3/1600Mhz and have been thinking about upgrading as well, but at this point I think I'm going to wait until DDR5 is released. I know technology is always advancing, but with the amount of money I'll probably end up spending I want it to be as future proof as possible. I need to do more research on the NVMe/M.2 drives as well. I know on paper they're faster, but if I'm installing my games on a different drive will I really see much improvement over a normal SSD?

So, what specs do I need to run Zelda at 60 fps on at least 1080p?
You pretty much need fast ram, a fast CPU (~4.5GHz?) and a decent GPU. The CPU has to be relatively new - probably a 6600K. IIRC there's a problem with the way the older CPU's handle instructions so even if they're overclocked you still won't get a framerate as high as more modern components.

Here are some lines i could read in the log.txt:

Patch BotW crash candidate at 0x03717aa4
Link error in shader 0086e7ebadb97735
Internal error: assembly compile error for vertex shader at offset 2092

It´s a long, long file.

I downloaded a shader cache file from a link on YouTube (Bsod Gaming)

Already tried to delete the shader file in cemu. Didnt help. Deleted the shader cache files in nvidia Open gl folder. Didnt work, too.
Under Options make sure "GPU buffer cache accuracy" is set on low/fast.
Under Options/Experimental, make sure "Enable BotW crash workaround" is on/checked.
Under Options/Experimental, "Full sync at GX2DrawDone()" is for for bugs with NPC's in BotW. Try starting the game with it disabled and then enable it once it starts.
Under CPU, try single core recompiler before trying any of the multi-core settings.
Under CPU, use host based timer.
Other things to check - Are you sure you deleted the shader and that you're using the correct game ID in the shader file? You also might need to edit your virtual memory pagefile to add more to your virtual memory.

itz_duy

Neophyte
Hello, im back with my issue on "Zelda Breath Of The Wild". I repeat.

My System Specs are:
i3 8100@3,6GHZ
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
2x 8GB DDR4 Ram 2400
2 Tb HDD

I have the actual version 1.11.4 of Cemu. Like it mentioned. I followed every step from "BsoD Gaming" videos on YouTube. Really. Crash workaround is turned on. Tried it with and without the graphic packs and with shader and wihtout shader caches.

Here are two links to my hotmail clout with the log.txt files. One with "Without Shader Cache" and one with shader cache.

Without Shader Cache, crashes immediately after click on load: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AjBC0_4q0s1VhneMiobFYGgJ-PJP
With Shader Cache, crashes after 100% compiling the shader cache: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AjBC0_4q0s1VhnhZdFCQAjdJlKmm

Hope some developers of cemu would recognize my thread and reading it. Please fix it in your next update

jediyoshi

1.11.5 released
http://cemu.info/#download

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.11.5
# Patreon release date: 2018-02-24
# Public release date: 2018-03-03

general: Updated game profiles
general: Added more logging options and cleaned up logging menu a bit
general: Enabling online mode now requires all ccert/scert files

input: Added support for emulating Wiimote controllers using keyboard/usb-controllers (no native support yet!)
input: Reworked the input settings window to open a lot faster

coreinit: Fixed MEMAllocFromExpHeapEx not handling negative alignment correctly
coreinit: Fixed MEMGetAllocatableSizeForExpHeapEx sometimes returning the wrong size
coreinit: Added API MEMCreateUserHeapHandle(), OSCopyFromClipboard()
coreinit: Fixed a potential crash in FSReadFile/FSReadFileAsync when the specified length is zero

AX: Rewrote snd_core2 audio driver
AX: Added snd_core1 API AXGetMaxVoices(), AXSetVoiceSamplesAddr()

GX2: Reduced shader compile time and RAM usage for Nvidia GPUs
GX2: Added support for creating cube-map views into 2D array textures
GX2: Added support for more vertex attribute formats

swkbd: Added support for Unicode input + some minor tweaks

nlibcurl: Fixed a crash bug in curl_multi_perform

jediyoshi

1.12.0 Preview

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.12.0d
# Patreon release date: 2018-04-25
# Public release date: 2018-05-02

# New in 1.12.0d:

general: Fixed crash when selecting wiimote as emulated controller

# New in 1.12.0c:

general: Fixed graphic pack custom shaders sometimes not loading

# New in 1.12.0b:

general: Fixed a bug where wiimote input provider was not displayed in input settings

# New in 1.12.0:

general: Improved game list
Added game icons
Added ability to quick jump to an entry by typing the first letters
Added ability to navigate with arrow keys
Added columns for time played and last time launched
Added option to create gameprofile (if it doesn't exist)
Sorting of entries is no longer case-sensitive
Display a notification while the game list is being refreshed
Game list no longer refreshes automatically when Cemu is restarted

general: Friend list support
Covers most friend features that are used by games
Wii U friend list app also supported and can be used to manage friends

general: Faster loading time of Cemu when many graphic packs are installed
general: Fixed syntax of settings.xml

input: Added native wiimote support (as separate input provider)

CPU/JIT: Added support for branches with a destination outside of the current scope of the recompiled function

zlib(rpl): Added API compressBound

nlibcurl: Fixed various bugs in multi_perform API

nsysnet: Added API gethostbyaddr, NSSLAddServerPKIExternal

jediyoshi

1.12.1 out for Patrons

# Cemu detailed changelog for 1.12.1
# Patreon release date: 2018-05-25
# Public release date: 2018-06-01

general: Upgraded Cemu to VS2017 and also updated the following libraries:
wxWidgets (3.1.1)
libcurl (7.59.0)
openssl (1.1.0h)
zlib (1.2.11)

general: Fixed settings.xml getting corrupted when multiple instances of Cemu were running
general: Game list now loads the game icons asynchronously to improve Cemu startup time
general: Load graphic pack shader files asynchronously to improve Cemu startup time
general: Added fallback font in case no other shared data fonts are found (prevents some games from crashing)
general: Generally improved AES128 implementation. AES-NI is used where possible (if supported by CPU) and the fallback software-AES implementation is now much faster
general: If NEX or independent token API request returns with an error message, print it to log.txt
general: Updated game profiles

HID: Added preliminary USB/HID support
In order for a device to be detected, plug it into your PC before you start Cemu. No extra configuration necessary
Tested USB peripherals:
Skylanders Traptanium Portal confirmed to work, other similar 'Portal' devices still need testing
GCN controller adapter (in Wii U mode) not yet working

input: Fixed some XInput issues for Steam Big Picture controllers (if you are having trouble configuring a controller, launch a game in Cemu first)
input: Various improvements to native wiimote support

nn_idbe: Implemented API DownloadIconFile() and DecryptIconFile()

snd_core: Fixed loop counter for PCM16 voices
snd_core: Fixed AXGetDeviceMode()
snd_core: Fixed AXSetVoiceSrcRatio (now clamps ratio value correctly between 0.0 and 8.0)

GX2: Implemented GX2SetPointSize and GPU7 support for point width
GX2: Added API GX2SetComputeSampler, GX2SetComputeTexture, GX2SetComputeShader, GX2DispatchCompute
GX2: Shaders using SSBOs no longer fail to compile
GX2: Texture cache will now drop unused textures after 50 minutes even if the texture data is potentially not restorable

RPL: Fixed a bug in RPL loader where import mapping would exit early if an invalid (nameless) import was found

coreinit: Zero-sized file reads no longer return an error
coreinit: Optimized thread context switching to be slightly faster

nn_fp: Fixed a bug in AsyncLogin callback

nn_boss: Fixed a crash that occurred when a game tried to access non-existent BOSS files

Tokyo Mirage Sessions now working

Top Bottom