• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu (Wii U Emulator) introduces customizable graphics (increased internal res&more)

Anth0ny

I'm trying to get Mario Kart 8 to run in 1080p and 4K and it doesn't seem to work.

I go in Graphic Packs and check one or the other and it changes nothing to the resolution.

EDIT: Tried Mario 3D World, same results.

In my case, no, looks like this.

packdcs1c.png

Wind Waker HD with reduced bloom?

I NEED to see this :O

Seik

Banned
Oh the day i'll be able to experience The Wonderful 101 ending in 4K @ 60fps .

Yep, that's the grand moment I'm awaiting.

Re-doing it in 4K will be such an experience. I didn't play the game since I went through it when it came out.

EDIT: I wanna play with CEMU more on Wednesday, can't tonight, will take pics and flood this thread. :lol

Since BOTW on Wii U has an unstable/unlocked framerate, I wonder what are the chances of the game actually running smoother on Cemu. It's not usual, but it does happen sometimes on emulators.

Crossing fingers for this as well.

jediyoshi

Wind Waker HD with reduced bloom?

I NEED to see this :O

It's funny, the game ran like this in earlier versions because it didn't support it graphically
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWGnmmgJd0

It will be so shiny, but run like shit. That's the modern gamers dream I guess.

Do these not modern gamers have the ability to look at YouTube and actually see what emulation can do?

Does fatal frame run on this?

It used to reach ingame, doesn't get past title screen now

Does Xenoblade X render in 4k for you (beyond the menu)? Can you share the settings in your rules.txt if that's the case? Maybe also how the ini file looks like?

I have the stock XCX graphic pack, not sure why it isn't working for some people

Madness

I'll never understand how they got Mario Kart 8 to look so good on Wii U.

Is this a real question? Because of the art style that requires very little in terms of realism and visual fidelity. So when they don't have to spend time on draw distance, textures, weather effects and daytime changes and whatnot, they can afford to make each racer look good. Otherwise compare a Forza Horizon 3 and Driveclub to Mario Kart 8 and ask why they can make Mario Kart 8 look how it does. Or why Breath of the Wild looks like it does and Witcher 3 an Red Dead Redemption 2 look the way they do.

Anyone know why after about 20 minutes some of the rocks and surfaces in XCX become glossy? Also, if possible how to fix it? It's like a bluish-purple color and it only happens after about twenty minutes. If I save, shut the emulator down and bring it back up it is fixed for another twenty minutes. I'm on 1.6.4b.

Also I have a curious question, what is streamout? It's in the debug settings. I noticed it a few days ago and wasn't able to get a good explanation from google.

mcmmaster

The texture work in Ribbon Road is blowing me away. Who cares about power when it comes to Nintendo achieving stuff like this on Wii U, those guys are wizards!

desktop_01_11_2017___00_05_10_391_this_by_mcmemie-dauyti4.png

desktop_01_10_2017___23_51_19_327_by_mcmemie-dauytva.png

desktop_01_11_2017___00_44_29_441_by_mcmemie-dauyw1w.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since BOTW on Wii U has an unstable/unlocked framerate, I wonder what are the chances of the game actually running smoother on Cemu. It's not usual, but it does happen sometimes on emulators.

Emulators by default are trying to emulate the original processors, so unless some type of overclocking is included in CEMU, I really, really doubt you'll be getting better performance than console.

If the game has the exact same slowdown as console, thats the emulators dusting off its hands and saying "perfect, job well done. "

Dereck

Emulators by default are trying to emulate the original processors, so unless some type of overclocking is included in CEMU, I really, really doubt you'll be getting better performance than console.

If the game has the exact same slowdown as console, thats the emulators dusting off its hands and saying "perfect, job well done. "
Nooooo

udivision

The texture work in Ribbon Road is blowing me away. Who cares about power when it comes to Nintendo achieving stuff like this on Wii U, those guys are wizards!

But... at 720p it's harder to appreciate all that texture wizardry.

Power isn't some boogieman, it helps things look prettier too.

MUnited83

For you.

desktop_01_10_2017___23_51_19_327_by_mcmemie-dauytva.png

desktop_01_11_2017___00_44_29_441_by_mcmemie-dauyw1w.png
? That's a perfect example for the exact opposite! Power finally allows us to see some of those great assets to light, that wouldn't otherwise be as noticeable in lower resolutions!

charpunk

No, I have the Meta folder, CEMU is recognising the game and the graphic pack is active. But it's not rendering in 4k.

Same exact problem I'm having. I ripped it correctly, have the meta folder, the interface looks like it's in 4k but game itself hasn't change. All of my other rips I've tried so far (Mario 3d world and Mario kart) work fine.

jett

D-Member

Like I said, sometimes it can be done. You can increase the framerate on Shadow of the Colossus up to 60fps on PCSX2 with certain settings. You can run Star Fox at a higher framerate on an older version of Zsnes.

More famously though, the Xbox 360 emulator on the Xbox One improves the performance for nearly every title as far as I can tell.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It somehow never occured to me just how dense Mario Kart 8 really is, tons of detail, great texture work, great lighting, it's a shame the Wii U was effectively a 720p machine, so much detail lost

Roo

? That's a perfect example for the exact opposite! Power finally allows us to see some of those great assets to light, that wouldn't otherwise be as noticeable in lower resolutions!

His point is about how Nintendo doesn't really need super poweful hardware to create good looking games.

Sure, games without jaggies and such do really shine at their full potential and fans would be thrilled to play them like this on their consoles but no one can't deny they make the most out of the hardware they have to play with.

Gameplay and framerate always should be their main priority but hopefully with Switch, they notice IQ comes with the package as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was playing Super Mario 3D World at 5120x2880 and reflections + DoF at 2560x1440 and the game is so monumentally better looking its obscene.

What's the legality on sharing pre-compiled shader packages? Thats the one unmistakable boon on playing games in CEMU, first run stutter. When running through a new game it means stutter is very consistent throughout the entire experience.

Peterthumpa

I was playing Super Mario 3D World at 5120x2880 and reflections + DoF at 2560x1440 and the game is so monumentally better looking its obscene.

What's the legality on sharing pre-compiled shader packages? Thats the one unmistakable boon on playing games in CEMU, first run stutter. When running through a new game it means stutter is very consistent throughout the entire experience.

How?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Resolution/texture filtering/anti-aliasing are so fucking important to IQ and once again emulated shots show exactly why.

Durante

I think with a modern high-level emulator it's not that simple.

I.e. if a game drops frames on Wii U due to GPU reasons then it will certainly not have the same drops on an emulator. And even if it's due to CPU or memory reasons I doubt CEMU strives to be sufficiently cycle-accurate to actually reproduce those drops.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really need to figure out some shader overrides and turn off the rim lighting on models in 3D World. I don't like the look at all.

I think with a modern high-level emulator it's not that simple.

I.e. if a game drops frames on Wii U due to GPU reasons then it will certainly not have the same drops on an emulator. And even if it's due to CPU or memory reasons I doubt CEMU strives to be sufficiently cycle-accurate to actually reproduce those drops.

It felt like I was getting some ocassional framedrops without slowdown at 5120x2880, so if thats the case that would make sense. My bad then.

Typically buffers for effects like that are rendered at 1/2 res, so I added another texture override for 640x360 to 2560x1440 and voila, it was correct. The DoF they use isn't terribly effective when using such a high res, but its better than the really low res reflections/DoF it had before.

I'll try and get screenshots next time I can mess around with it, or just set it up and see for yourself in person!

Daedardus

XCX looks so good, it's tempting to start playing it again and actually finishing. I've been holding off to play it on an emulator, but with a possible Switch release I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to play it now. I'm expecting some QoL improvements in the rerelease.

That said, everything looks really nice. Nintendo has always excelled in art direction and emulators are perfect to show that. I think I just enjoy good art with high IQ more than complex geometries and/or shaders.

jediyoshi

How do people know what resolution it's actually running at? I'm on a TV so it's harder for me to eyeball it.

A way you can check for sure is to hit shift+printscreen. It captures a full resolution image onto your clipboard.

So you can get the additional dowloadable tracks running on the emulator too?

It's more of a mod, the way to get them working is replacing existing tracks to be able to select them.

blado

I really need to figure out some shader overrides and turn off the rim lighting on models in 3D World. I don't like the look at all.

It felt like I was getting some ocassional framedrops without slowdown at 5120x2880, so if thats the case that would make sense. My bad then.

Typically buffers for effects like that are rendered at 1/2 res, so I added another texture override for 640x360 to 2560x1440 and voila, it was correct. The DoF they use isn't terribly effective when using such a high res, but its better than the really low res reflections/DoF it had before.

I'll try and get screenshots next time I can mess around with it, or just set it up and see for yourself in person!

I added another section that looks like this:

[TextureRedefine]

width = 640
height = 360

overwriteWidth = 2560
overwriteHeight = 1440

However, I don't seem to be getting an improvement in DoF resolution. Did I do something, or is there another effect resulting in distant object having a pixelated look?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I added another section that looks like this:

[TextureRedefine]

width = 640
height = 360

overwriteWidth = 2560
overwriteHeight = 1440

However, I don't seem to be getting an improvement in DoF resolution. Did I do something, or is there another effect resulting in distant object having a pixelated look?

Mine looks like this. There might be different resolutions for different depths, but I'd be a bit surprised.

Code:
[Definition]
titleIds = 0005000010145d00,0005000010145c00,0005000010106100
name = "Super Mario 3D World - 2880p"

[TextureRedefine]
width = 1280
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 5120
overwriteHeight = 2880

[TextureRedefine]
width = 640
height = 360
overwriteWidth = 2560
overwriteHeight = 1440

A good way to make sure you're affecting the correct buffer is to set a really low resolution. During testing I was overriding to 64x36 and it was IMMEDIATELY apparent that it was working.

Can somebody help me? I ripped my copy of Pikmin 3 using DDD and got the following folders:

code
content
meta
save

in the main /vol folder. I tried to run my RPX file via CEMU ("carrot" I guess is its name} and the banner says [SaveDir: d9a513999/meta/ directory missing in game dump] along the window in CEMU. I got a loading screen and nothing after that.

Am I doing something wrong here?
edit: might be because i didn't idle at the home menu, let me see if that works.
edit 2: it works! Now, I wait for 4k Pikmin.

Does anyone who has recently tried Cemu know if it still flips the screen with the Steam overlay/Steam Streaming (e.g. Steam Link)?

How much CPU power do you need to run at 60fps? I have a i5 4690k running at stock 3.5Ghz. No custom cooler yet but I could overclock if I needed. I have a 970 GTX if that matters.

Looks great. A shame nintendo doesn't show their full aesthetics on strong native hardware because they certainly have talent for art direction.

Mr. Hyde

What's the specs required for this beast? I'm not too worried about ripping and playing my games until the emulator develops a bit more, but I'm highly curious. I have a custom built ddr4 PC with an i5 6750 or whatever came out a year or so ago running at 4.2ghz with a GTX 770 (the oldest part in the PC).

NimbusD

Does cemu hate the RX 480 or something? Games that are supposed to be perfectly emulated are emulating at like 4fps, and I'm getting weird blockiness. Only thing that's worked somewhat is Mario kart but even that is stuttery.

dsk1210

What's the specs required for this beast? I'm not too worried about ripping and playing my games until the emulator develops a bit more, but I'm highly curious. I have a custom built ddr4 PC with an i5 6750 or whatever came out a year or so ago running at 4.2ghz with a GTX 770 (the oldest part in the PC).
Should run Mario Kart 8 and super Mario at 60fps when the shaders have cached.

Erebus

OK now Cemu is straight up crashing and exiting to desktop whenever I try to load Mario Kart. It was working fine yesterday. I deleted the whole folder and then used a new extract to no avail. Does it create any other folders where it keeps settings in the hard drive?

Top Bottom