• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

ruddiger7

Banned
Tell me how to dump the wii u games and I will tell you how they run on 980ti hyrbid sli
20151013_183359.jpg

20150905_132624.jpg

UrbanRats

TBH one of the great things about emulation for me, is the ability to keep playing my various games on just one platform, without having to keep 30 different ones hooked up.

It'd be great to be able to play Bayonetta 2 or Super Mario 3D world, without having to hook up and turn on the WiiU, in the future.

Then, rendering them at 4k would be icing on the cake. :p

rjc571

Banned
Well that's some pretty unexpected news to wake up to! Though it probably won't run at playable speeds for a few years, at least.

PIKMIN 3 new dlc stages without a time limit so i can actually explore the levels...
dlc3b.jpg

wiiupikmin3dlc3scrn03-copy.jpg

And it would also mean my little brother could finally play these stages without the crazy short time limit.
Would the dlc work?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have a nifty hack installed on my console that lets me use a GameCube pad as a Pro Controller (ie. It works in Wind Waker HD).
Why can't Nintendo give us that option :/?

Hasney

Oh wow, can't wait for this to mature. Between that and Dolphin, PC Nintendo will be insane. The champ is here.

AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CEMU

Lazaro

Gamepad support shouldn't be hard. I'd imagined you had to flash a custom firmware to the gamepad and then sync to the PC via a custom WiFi-Direct protocol.

If Nintendo wants to have Wii U BC they will make sure that there is a GamePad style controller available for their next console. They could even use the handheld for that purpose if they want. Treating the GamePad as some massive obstacle to BC doesn't really make sense when there are so many relatively easy solutions to the problem. I suspect getting the games running in an emulator at full speed would be the bigger hurdle.

Also, just because they aren't sold separately now doesn't mean they never will. If Nintendo desired, they could start selling them separately any time they want. It just doesn't make sense to do that right now since there isn't any real reason you'd need to buy a second one outside of repairs.

To the gamepad streaming is the real hurdle. Nintendo went with an quite expensive solution to archive low ping rates. Using a handheld that only supports N standard wouldn't be enough.

And selling that WiiU Gamepad doesn't fix that problem because every NX console would need to ship with that expensive streaming technology just for BC.

poodaddy

Is this more CPU or GPU dependent? Reason being that I've got an i7 3820 and a 980 ti, so if it's GPU dependent I'm all set but my CPU may be a slight bit under par since there hasn't been any optimizations yet. Most emulators are CPU dependent so I'm imagining that's probably the case here too but I'm just curious. Anyone getting a pretty decent experience with it? If so what kind of specs are you rockin?

He's right.

Nintendo may support it somehow, but the Wii U has far more to work around than any previous Nintendo console in terms of BC.

Firstly, they need a replacement or alternative for the gamepad. Issue is that they aren't sold separately. That's a big one.

I don't see why their next handheld couldn't be used to emulate the gamepad.

Nice. By the time Zelda U comes out this thing will probably be in an optimized, functional state. I love emulators.

I seriously doubt that.

Be happy it exists, guys, but Don't be too excited.

This is a closed source passion project for a very small team. So it could dissapear/cease development at any time.

Oh, and Gamepad streaming is physically impossible due to the gamepad requiring a deprecated wifi timing system that only worked on like, 3 models of network adapter, and even then only on linux because you had to hack the kernel.

So there's that.

pants

Wow, so many Bayonetta 'fans' appeared today. Good going guys.

Take Bayonetta 1 sales, subtract Bayonetta 2 sales, see how large that pool is of people who may be interested in Bayonetta 2 that cant give a shit about the WiiU.

I'm not claiming it's as simple, but it's not hard to see there are a bunch of people who want to play B2 without having to get the hardware

Lazaro

Be happy it exists, guys, but Don't be too excited.

This is a closed source passion project for a very small team. So it could dissapear/cease development at any time.

Oh, and Gamepad streaming is physically impossible due to the gamepad requiring a deprecated wifi timing system that only worked on like, 3 models of network adapter, and even then only on linux because you had to hack the kernel.

So there's that.

Wow. Thats depressing.

I guess you could output the Gamepads screen into another window or like how DS emulators output two screens.

Just think, if this wasn't released, all of those people who wanted to play Bayonetta 2 but didn't want to buy a Wii U would have turned into this:

tumblr_nag4laZlbC1sxtee3o1_400.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
Wow. Thats depressing.

I guess you could output the Gamepads screen into another window or like how DS emulators output two screens.

That is probably the way to do it, seeing as the gamepad doesn't seem to render anything by itself. AFAIK it is merely sending the content of the framebuffer via wifi to the pad.

It is a lesser problem, the pad isn't critical to games in the vast majority of cases.

Ridley327

Wow. Thats depressing.

Still not an ideal solution for some games that use the gyros in tandem with the second screen display, like the upcoming Fatal Frame title and a decent chunk of Nintendo Land. It's going to be tricky getting everything to work as it already does on the Wii U.

That many people won't feel comfortable using something if there's not a legit way to do it.

I know I just thought it was a bit silly being excited at an emulator that by its very nature requires you to circumvent copy protections and encryption keys but then saying downloading a rip is bad.

Top Bottom