• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

AdanVC

:D

m0gacoR.png

Lenk from THe logend of Melda.

Woh. An amazing accomplishment for being a stealth release and being so early. The WW video, while rough, shows some great stuff.

Tbh, I am not sure what of any Wii U games interest me though really.

Probably born from one of those kickstarted projects. Guy with the dev-kit says "fuck this" and lets his '4xx0r' friend look at the docs and dev tools. It was quite evident to me after I got to see the Wii SDK that 'Dolphin' is just a modified version of these, down to the project files. I bet this isn't different.

This is bad, could make Nintendo turn more cautious on whom gets a dev-kit. I foresee lots of ranting and moaning in the future. And indies (the precious snowflake kind) feeling "left behind".

Woh. An amazing accomplishment for being a stealth release and being so early. The WW video, while rough, shows some great stuff.

Tbh, I am not sure what of any Wii U games interest me though really.

Bayonetta2boxart.png

The best game this generation so far ain't interesting enough? (I don't know if you like character action games tbf)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bayonetta2boxart.png

The best game this generation so far ain't interesting enough? (I don't know if you like character action games tbf)

Honestly as someone who had their game of the generation be Bayonetta last time Bayonetta 2's balance kinda ruined enjoyment/replayability for me Umbran Climax screwed up a lot in my opinion. I like it still but Bayonetta 1 still reigns supreme in my eyes.

Astral Dog

weird seeing the op bullet points and then the comments lol, but i guess people are desperate to play those U games ;)

im not too optimistic about this but lets see were it goes

Rich!

Hey Rich what do you say you put up a discussion thread for WiiU' hb?
I'd do it myself but I haven't followed the scene at all until now

I was going to, but the scene is fragmented and confusing for the new user right now. It would be a nightmare to keep people updated and would likely push people away.

Not yet, imo.

CHC

I honestly expect when it is eventually released we'll see a lot of dolphin code in it... which makes me think it should probably already be open sourced based on their licenses... but who knows, I could be wrong... it just seems like there would be a lot of reinventing the wheel otherwise.

Apparently there is very little overlap between Wii and Wii U emulation. Dolphin team even said they wouldn't expect it for 10+ years.

Guess they're gonna have some crow for dinner.

c0de

I honestly expect when it is eventually released we'll see a lot of dolphin code in it... which makes me think it should probably already be open sourced based on their licenses... but who knows, I could be wrong... it just seems like there would be a lot of reinventing the wheel otherwise.

I already looked at the binary and didn't find any clues pointing to Dolphin.
That doesn't mean they didn't use some parts of it, like the ppc emulator.

That WWHD video is fucking amazing. The emu came out of NOWHERE and it boots commercial titles with semi-normal fps.

That shit cray.

Where is the 3DS emulation? Where is 360 emulation? How is it that Wii U emu comes out first ?!?

Jinkies

Woah, didn't expect it so soon. What a time we live in.

There is nothing especially novel about this. The first N64, GameCube, and Wii emulation was introduced at a similar phase in those consoles' lifetimes.

Not to rob anyone of their excitement, nor the author of credit. This is wonderful news!

Where is the 3DS emulation? Where is 360 emulation? How is it that Wii U emu comes out first ?!?

3DS and 360 emulators both came out a while ago, and as such, are more complete than this. They're called Citra and Xenia, respectively.

That WWHD video is fucking amazing. The emu came out of NOWHERE and it boots commercial titles with semi-normal fps.

That shit cray.

Isn't the Wii U CPU similar to a certain degree to the Wii one?

Lernaean

Banned
Indeed. True Fandom is gated by how much one spends on it!
What a silly argument.

Not exactly, but you can't call yourself a PG fan and call the platform that has not one but two of their games, one being arguably the best PG game, doa.
And ofc you can't say all that but celebrate having the option to pirate said games, cause that's what it is.

And before anyone gets too touchy with the word 'pirate', let me inform you that i run half a dozen emulators and i have a huge library of games for them, all games i actually own in physical form. I'll also surely emulate WiiU games on this one or any other emulator, but let's call things for what they are. Downloading ISOs online is pirating, and most people don't have the sensitivity to buy the software beforehand.

mrlion

Isn't the Wii U CPU similar to a certain degree to the Wii one?

No lol.

The only similarity they have is that they are both PowerPC. The Wii has an upgraded Gekko processor that the Gamecube used also known as Broadway which is why it was easier to emulate the Wii while Gamecube emulation started to get at its peak.

The Wii U is a tri-core heavily modified Power7 which is close to the Xbox 360 processor that it had without some features.

Pokemaniac

No lol.

The only similarity they have is that they are both PowerPC. The Wii has an upgraded Gekko processor that the Gamecube used also known as Broadway which is why it was easier to emulate the Wii while Gamecube emulation started to get at its peak.

The Wii U is a tri-core heavily modified Power7 which is close to the Xbox 360 processor that it had without some features.

Nintendo backpedalled on the Power7 thing before release. All analysis suggests that the Wii U has a higher clocked tri-core variant of the Wii CPU.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nowhere? Theres a fully working backup loader for the Wii U, kernel exploits, firmware spoofing and I have a nifty hack installed on my console that lets me use a GameCube pad as a Pro Controller (ie. It works in Wind Waker HD).
So basically homebrew is still nowhere.

Come on now. Neither is power7 close to PPE, nor is it running in the wiiU.

Anth0ny

maybe with this we can get rid of the bloom that ruined wind waker hd and play a truly perfect version of that game :)

Welp...my prayers have been answered...a solution for my Splatoon withdrawal due to the Wii U not wanting to connect to my Belkin router.
A USB ewthenet adapter should work great?
About this emulator...
Splatoon PC GAF Community when?
Here is how it runs at the moment:
https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/653952436382502912
Like nearly all the 3D graphics are missing.

Not to mention neither this nor citra (the 3DS emulator) support sound yet.

Top Bottom