• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO Kaz Hirai (the parody Twitter) announces his retirement in 2018.

Melchiah

That's a good read. Thanks for sharing.

GamesRadar+: What's been the strangest thing that has happened to you as a result of the account?

Fake Kaz Hirai: I think the most surreal moment for me was when they showed some of my tweets on screen behind the real Kaz at Sony's 2016 CES event. Up until that point, I had no idea he was even aware it existed, so to see my account on the same stage as him at a real Sony event was bizarre. The tweets were pretty critical of Sony, which made it stranger; there was even one about the Sony hacks. When I tweeted out the screenshot, a lot of people just assumed it was a photoshop for a joke.

Were you ever worried about Sony's response? Have you ever heard from its lawyers about it?

I wasn't worried as such, but I was always aware that it could have shut it down at any point if it wanted to. Nintendo always does it when a Nintendo parody account gets popular. Eventually, people who are fairly high up in Sony started following and replying to me, which was when I knew I was probably safe. All the responses I’ve seen from Sony people have been positive. Though that doesn't stop me from thinking "God, I hope Shu doesn't read this" when I tweet something more critical of Sony.

I haven't heard from Kaz directly, but a British tech journalist asked the real Kaz about it. Apparently it was his lawyers who told him it existed, but he chose to do nothing about it. He said that other people in Sony had told him "it was funny in a good way."

I find it refreshing that such a big company can take a joke and laugh at themselves publicly. More of that would be welcome.

On a side note, I also appreciate how the moderator of the official Dark Souls Facebook page isn't afraid to joke around. It definitely makes it stand out from most of the games and developers I follow on FB.

Instro

That's a good read. Thanks for sharing.

I find it refreshing that such a big company can take a joke and laugh at themselves publicly. More of that would be welcome.

On a side note, I also appreciate how the moderator of the official Dark Souls Facebook page isn't afraid to joke around. It definitely makes it stand out from most of the games and developers I follow on FB.

Shock and awe, who would have guessed Nintendo would do that lol.

Top Bottom