• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

Reallink

They will be shipped on a "first-come first served" basis. Meaning that the first devkits will go to the first to have pledged an kickstarter, and those will start shipping sometime in March.

From there on, anyone else will get his devkit. If you pre-order now, you get an estimated delivery around late april/early may.

"mass production" (if you can call it that way) is already started. See latest update in the link a few post above.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/357600

Thanks. Is that timeline still applicable though? The latest update only mentioned a "pilot run" (which I assumed was just a small test run for internal use and perhaps big-name pubs/devs)--not the actual mass production of 5k units (or whatever). Seems like they would have mentioned such a landmark achievement specifically. If that were the case, and China is now on their 30 day Holiday, that would put actual mass production at March 10th + production time + 28 days of sea freight + domestic shipping, which is quite a long time.

Thanks. Is that timeline still applicable though? The latest update only mentioned a "pilot run" (which I assumed was just a small test run for internal use and perhaps big-name pubs/devs)--not the actual mass production of 5k units (or whatever). Seems like they would have mentioned such a landmark achievement specifically. If that were the case, and China is now on their 30 day Holiday, that would put actual mass production at March 10th + production time + 28 days of sea freight + domestic shipping, which is quite a long time.

That timeline already accounts for the 4 weeks vacation.

It should be still applicable. I'm just as clueless as you are, in this case xD

chiablo

It's going to be hard resisting the dev version once my tax return comes.

Same, I think I've finally decided to wait for the consumer version. As much as I want to try it, I know that it'll be more frustration than it's worth playing buggy hacks that people have slapped onto games that really weren't meant to handle 3D head tracking.

By the time the consumer version is out, there will be actual content to use it with.

abasm

Funny how, eight years ago, someone anticipated this, at we got the Nintendo Wii U (near real-time local game streaming) and the Oculus Rift (real-time head tracking VR).

Reallink

That timeline already accounts for the 4 weeks vacation.

It should be still applicable. I'm just as clueless as you are, in this case xD

Right, but the timeline shows the first batch of mass production having already been completed by now (before Chinese New Year). Specifically, they showed it taking place from ~Jan 28 - Feb 9. The fact that such a milestone wasn't referenced in the latest update (it really seems like they would have) suggest they might not have made the deadline, which would push the first batch to late April at best.

Blizzard

Banned
Tonight, I tried downloading and building the Perception injection driver from here:

https://github.com/cybereality/Perception

I got Mirror's Edge to run in side by side 3D view, so hopefully it will be mostly ready to go when the Rift is out. FOV may end up screwy though. Also I thought I had vsync turned off, but it still seemed limited to 30 fps...might be CCC-related though since I'm using an AMD card?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
way cheaper than Sony's device.

sony device is

1) designed to make a profit including usual markups
2) has two 720p OLED panels vs one 720p LCD panel
3) uses high quality optics

Number 3 is the genius of the rift though. Using cheap optics and pre-processing the output to compensate brings cost and weight savings. The downside is that you need custom software to drive it, where the Sony HMD takes any standard TV output.

Same, I think I've finally decided to wait for the consumer version. As much as I want to try it, I know that it'll be more frustration than it's worth playing buggy hacks that people have slapped onto games that really weren't meant to handle 3D head tracking.

By the time the consumer version is out, there will be actual content to use it with.
Yeah, consumer version for me. Besides being the final hardware, there will actually be a lot of game support for it by then. I'm already holding off playing certain games in anticipation for it in case they support it (Dear Esther, Antichamber, Strike Suit Zero). I'll be on my next tax return by the time it comes out anyway lol.

msv

sony device is

1) designed to make a profit including usual markups
2) has two 720p OLED panels vs one 720p LCD panel
3) uses high quality optics

Number 3 is the genius of the rift though. Using cheap optics and pre-processing the output to compensate brings cost and weight savings. The downside is that you need custom software to drive it, where the Sony HMD takes any standard TV output.
The low latency headtracking is the most important thing about it, which would need custom software either way. The 'genius' is realizing that low-latency headtracking is the most important thing about VR, by far.

Tonight, I tried downloading and building the Perception injection driver from here:

I got Mirror's Edge to run in side by side 3D view, so hopefully it will be mostly ready to go when the Rift is out. FOV may end up screwy though. Also I thought I had vsync turned off, but it still seemed limited to 30 fps...might be CCC-related though since I'm using an AMD card?

I wish that dude perfect the kinect mod for this. Kinect+Oculus= Blownmind!

I also wanna see someone play Be a pro on Fifa with this thing

DieH@rd

Banned

Game should run fine above 30fps.

So, rewatching that virtual-cinema demo got me thinking: since "all" it does is creating a virtual 1:1 theater where you sit in front of virtual massive screen displaying video...could this be used for older consoles or simply ps360 without 3D, high FOV, headtracking?

It would still be way cooler than a standard tv.

Damn, march is so far away (and it won't be march, I know it).

The Rift is amazing and totally next-gen etc. but it is totally not useable for games like God of War, Uncharted, Angry Birds, Final Fantasy: Tactics, X-COM etc. anything that is not a FIRST PERSON game.

That is one of the reasons it will never be successful.

I dunno, I'd love to play a good 3rd person game on this thing!

Imagine playing Super Mario 64 on Oculus with kinect-tech 2.0.

You control a little Mario in front of you, and... you can actually pick him up with your fingers and hurl him at goombas :D

destrudo

I wish that dude perfect the kinect mod for this. Kinect+Oculus= Blownmind!

I also wanna see someone play Be a pro on Fifa with this thing

I've never used the Kinect hardware before, but could it potentially allow you to interact with the environment in a more physical sense? Like picking things up or moving things around in the environment with body movement? If so, it could be a really good way to add an extra layer or interaction.

Also, here comes a huge wave of first person games it this thing is successful. I hope you guys aren't tired of FPS.

Although Oculus is definitely perfect for First Person view, I wouldn't dismiss 3rd person games being possible on it. You'd still get the wide field of view and immersive 3D, only you'd be floating behind the character. I guess we'll have to see how it's implemented.

And I'm definitely not a huge fan of first person games in general, but Oculus is a whole new ball game. First person games will become completely immersive and I'm really excited for that. I also hope we see a good amount of First Person Adventures not just first person shooters. Games where I can just relax and explore the environment, fly around, etc. I am beyond excited for stuff like that .

metareferential said:
So, rewatching that virtual-cinema demo got me thinking: since "all" it does is creating a virtual 1:1 theater where you sit in front of virtual massive screen displaying video...could this be used for older consoles or simply ps360 without 3D, high FOV, headtracking?

It would still be way cooler than a standard tv.
If you've got an input to the PC I imagine someone would end up with some application to modify streams, though I wonder if there'd be latency. And you'd be dealing with a virtual screen with much lower resolution than an HDTV. Maybe not such a big issue if you want to pretend to play SNES in a theater, though.

Reallink

If for some reason third person games were too odd looking or disorienting, I wonder if it's possible to reduce the FOV enough (either through the dial that adjusts the screen or even different lenses) to just make it appear as though you're viewing a typical display from a distance (a la HMZ-T1). I'd very much enjoy playing third person games with 3D Oculus profiles (enormous depth) on the equivalent of a 100" screen from 6' away (or whatever happened to work best). Certainly you can comfortably go quite a bit larger than the HMZ offers.

If for some reason third person games were too odd looking or disorienting, I wonder if it's possible to reduce the FOV enough (either through the dial that adjusts the screen or even different lenses) to just make it appear as though you're viewing a typical display from a distance (a la HMZ-T1). I'd very much enjoy playing third person games with 3D Oculus profiles (enormous depth) on the equivalent of a 100" screen from 6' away (or whatever happened to work best). Certainly you can comfortably go quite a bit larger than the HMZ offers.

That's what I would hope for as well. I wonder how they will handle doing cutscenes also. Wouldn't the field of view be too large to watch them in? Same reason why it's not ideal for movies? It'd be great if they can reduce the field of view for movies and use it as a personal theater in addition to gaming.

Cutscenes that aren't in-engine are just boned. It's bad enough if you're playing a game in 3D and a flat video comes along, but this will be miles worse--also distorted or shrunk.

By the time you shove a flat 16:9 image into the center enough so that it's visible to both eyes without being distorted, we're probably talking about resolutions lower than the Wii U Gamepad, though still with the possibility of 3D.

PewPewK

Cutscenes that aren't in-engine are just boned. It's bad enough if you're playing a game in 3D and a flat video comes along, but this will be miles worse--also distorted or shrunk.

By the time you shove a flat 16:9 image into the center enough so that it's visible to both eyes without being distorted, we're probably talking about resolutions lower than the Wii U Gamepad, though still with the possibility of 3D.

I don't even think you can reasonably do cutscenes that aren't in first-person very well. Or at least, it will break immersion if your game is normally in first-person and you pull them out for a short scene.

Blizzard

Banned
On the plus side, if cutscenes are required, it might mean they end up in first person like Half-life 2 and Mirror's Edge. I'm all for that.

*edit* With that Perception program and DLL, I still get 30 fps in Mirror's Edge. I tried D3DOverrider, CCC, and the ingame settings, made sure vsync was off in each one, but it still shows up that way. I tried launching a different game which got duplicated side by side and which had 60-100 fps however, so I'm guessing it is Mirror's Edge specific? Has anyone managed to get Mirror's Edge running in side by side at over 30 fps? *edit again* This may be because fps max is at 60 in Mirror's Edge and Perception is rendering every other frame as described below.

A serious problem is that according to the forums, the Perception drivers apparently render frames sequentially, so if I understand correctly the eyes will be slightly out of sync with each other. That might lead to virtual boy 2.0 syndrome or something, with people being bothered by it. It sounds like it might be possible to render them simultaneously, just more difficult.

No doubt this is one of the things Oculus mean when they say that the real potential of OR will be met by games designed with the device in mind from the ground up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got an email this weekend telling me that Doom BFG will not be shipped with my developer kit. They are offering a $20 Steam wallet code to make up for it.

I really want to know what happened here. Did id stop programming BFG support into the game? Does the game support it, but there were licensing issues with id/Bethesda as to distributing the game with the SDK?

I got an email this weekend telling me that Doom BFG will not be shipped with my developer kit. They are offering a $20 Steam wallet code to make up for it.

I really want to know what happened here. Did id stop programming BFG support into the game? Does the game support it, but there were licensing issues with id/Bethesda as to distributing the game with the SDK?

From the way it reads it sounds like its on iD's end and Doom3 BFG Rift integration just isn't ready for launch and the guys at Oculus are ready to ship now.

When we launched the Kickstarter campaign, we said we'd bundle a copy of DOOM 3 BFG Edition with each development kit as an extra Thank you. Unfortunately, we've been informed that DOOM 3 BFG Edition will not support the Rift development kit by the time we begin shipping.

Since DOOM 3 won't be available, we'd like to try and make it up to you.

Replacement Rewards

If you were supposed to receive a DOOM 3 BFG Edition, we'll replace it with one of the following rewards:

- $20 Steam Wallet credit, perfect for buying your next game on Steam (including DOOM 3 BFG Edition without Rift developer kit support if you still want it).

- $25 Oculus Store credit, which can be applied to future purchases at the Oculus Store including Oculus Latency Testers, new Oculus t-shirts, and more Rift development kits.

- A full refund for your pledge. If you're unhappy with the options above, we completely understand. Email us at support@oculusvr.com, and we'll be happy to discuss your specific order or refund your pledge in full.

You'll need to choose your new reward by logging into the Oculus Order Manager: https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

source

LordCanti

There's a thread about it here.

We don't know why the game won't be ready at launch yet, or if it will ever have support. I asked Carmack on twitter and didn't get a reply.

Mr.Green

The Oculus Rift VR Headset! Does it work? Will it change gaming? Adam Sessler Interviews Creator

http://youtu.be/8fkrsoqmKzg

Very good interview.

Also, I wanted to make a thread about this, but ultimately I'm too lazy so I'm just gonna drop this here real quick:

http://www.thegallerygame.com/

Very promising Indie game built from the ground up for the Rift focusing on exploration and puzzle solving as far as I can tell. They're on Kickstarter, obviously... I pleged.

Mr.Green

ronpaul_itshappening.gif

First guy received his dev Rift:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=113494#p113494

It's on. So on.

Top Bottom