• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES: Xbox 360 Game Room

AndyD said:
Now maybe a place for those avatars to walk around in and god forbid socialize!
This please.

Neuromancer said:
According to some guy on the Team Xbox forum, it's going to be like a Playstation Home style setting for avatars to walk around and play arcade games- with no waiting lines!

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=636761

If true
and free
that could be cool.

Edit: beaten
Oh SCHNAPPPP, I just want Home. Just want an f'ing place to walk an avatar to do something. Walk over to the MW2 club, chat some dudes up, maybe get a party going. Maybe get a good ol' Hiro Protagonist swordfight going on, or... do whatever the fuck people did in the matrix. I was promised cyberspace, Major Nelson. Both William Gibson and William Gates promised me cyberspace. Give me cyberspace, please.

Dear Microsoft: The avatar is the most worthless part of NXE. Please make an interactive environment a la Sony's Home. Regards, DeuceMojo.

Penguin

This could be cool if kept simple like the Netflix party system, and not too many steps to get where you need to go.

Why For? said:
Sounds like their 'Home' rip-off thing.

Not sure why you'd want to rip off Home in ANY form, but whatever.

Actually, the arcade in Home was the *only* good part about it IMO. The worst part by far about Home is loading and updating the stupid ass thing every time you wanted to go in there. This has to be super fast to load in and out of.

Also, going in with your friends into a public area will be made much better with the friends only chat option. That way, I don't have to hear anyone or deal with idiots and can just talk to my friends... but I won't be able to do the running man in their face while they are waiting to play :(

ToxicAdam said:
You just described 75% of GAF.

It's funny cause it's true.

DeuceMojo said:
Dear Microsoft: The avatar is the most worthless part of NXE. Please make an interactive environment a la Sony's Home. Regards, DeuceMojo.

It's too bad the Avatar props so far are just animations, it'd be great if they could be retrofitted with actual controls and uses. RC Warthogs, hitting people with giant cotton swabs, etc.

Rlan

jump.jpg

soco

Kulock said:
It's too bad the Avatar props so far are just animations, it'd be great if they could be retrofitted with actual controls and uses. RC Warthogs, hitting people with giant cotton swabs, etc.

Natal!

the real question is if they allowed people to record short animations for their avatars to perform, how many people would do the "BAM!" thing.

Oh wow, I entirely misinterpreted this.

I thought this was about some inflatable room in which you could game and would be perfect for Natal, because of the better body recognition in white rooms. But it seems to be some Home-space thing. As long as you can see my virtual Winnie the Pooh-doll, I'm in.

Davedough

Gowans007 said:
I'd rather have some people, time & money spent on improving xbox live.

- family gold account (gold also per console not user)

FUCKING THIS! I shouldn't have to pay another $50 for my wife to play online once every 3 months

Dave Long

Banned
Will Microsoft ever come up with an idea they don't take from everyone else?

This should have happened from day one. The current design is ridiculous.

Doffen

Gowans007 said:
I'd rather have some people, time & money spent on improving xbox live.

These please:

- larger friends list
- friends list sorting (messeger style groups etc.)
- more profile info (favourite games, proudest achievements, top 5 friends etc.)
- facebook/steam community style friends news feed (No friends in common etc)
- community groups / clans
- overall games list see people no playing smaller games
- sort friends option to people who have/played your current played game
- fix or remove player/ranked match splitting online player base when searching for games
- cloud saves/settings
- private video chat with positionable video overlay
- xbla & point gifting
- NXE categorys streamlines & reorganised
- Universal Screenshot, Video Recording
- Stream Last.fm while playing game or on dashboard
- News feed on My Xbox of latest new games/demos on genres I favor
- Personal Organisation/Filter Dashboard or SORTING IT OUT
- NUMBER of friends playing the game your playing alert
- Achievement image in Achievement Unlocked popup
- Gamerscore to Rewards Programme

Thums up

pr0cs

Sounds like a decent idea, I like the concept of hanging out in a virtual arcade with my party.
It better be free though.

mollipen

ghst said:
i always thought xbl avatars were useless, creepy child molester effigies with a look that says "i groom kids with a sack full of quarters".

I think the XBL avatars are one of the best things to ever hit the 360. And no, just to be clear, I don't feel the same about Miis or that Home garbage.

The kind of people that don't read or post on this board might find the idea intriguing. It's not always about us, guys.

I think Home sucks dong, and I wish I could remove the link from my XMB, but AFAIK they are making money with it.

[Nintex]

I've seen rumors on the web that Microsoft is going to announce the Natal launch date at CES any truth to that or just baseless internet speculation?

Doodis

Davedough said:
FUCKING THIS! I shouldn't have to pay another $50 for my wife to play online once every 3 months
Yes, yes, and yes. They want to be the center of the family entertainment experience, they need to prove it.

Davedough

I'm saving it for a possible rehost in case they take that chit down once they notice huge amounts of bandwidth going to it early.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So...according to that interview, Game Room is Xbox Live Arcade, but with Retro games. Which sounds like Xbox Live Arcade.

I'm so completely confused right now.

chubigans said:
So...according to that interview, Game Room is Xbox Live Arcade, but with Retro games. Which sounds like Xbox Live Arcade.

Xbox Live Arcade in a 3D space? You buy a XBLA game and it shows up an arcade machine in your 3D space. You walk upto the games you bought and start playing instantly. Atlesat that's my thinking.

ClivePwned said:
the keynote is in a few hours anyway , isn't it?

Yes, it begins at 6:30 PM PST.

chubigans said:

Well if you go into a PS Home-esque environment, then it could be ad supported (preferably not for Gold if this is their route!) and the games could be free. It sounds like they are going to be smaller retro style games anyways. All speculation really until we get concrete details tonight.

Transcript courtesy of Joystiq:

Robbie Bach said:
Well, Game Room in some ways is sort of a retro approach. And it's interesting, there's a generation of people -- sort of my advanced, mature age [laughs] -- who grew up with a set of games like Centipede. They look almost like casual, fun games today -- at the time they were high-end, edgy games -- and so Game Room is the idea of bringing that back to the market. And bringing that to a very broad audience. And I think what we're gonna find is that when people can get 30 or more of these games, they're gonna love it for the experience. And it's not just you and I who are gonna love it, even the people who would call themselves "hardcore gamers" are gonna say "Oh wow this is fun!" In a retro way. It's sort of like my daughter going to watch Journey. I'm like, this is a band that was playing when I was growing up. And she thinks it's a cool band and I like the music. And I think you're gonna have the same phenomenon with Game Room. We're gonna enjoy the games and they're gonna think it's cool. I think that's very powerful.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ultimo hombre said:
Xbox Live Arcade in a 3D space? You buy a XBLA game and it shows up an arcade machine in your 3D space. You walk upto the games you bought and start playing instantly. Atlesat that's my thinking.
Oh, that make sense. He didn't mention the social aspect at all in that vid though.

nocode

Please can we just skip all the stupid virtual 3d arcade that my avatar can walk around in part? It will get old in the blink of an eye, and ultimately prevent me from using it. I want games that take less time to boot up, not more. Another thing, with all the complaining about how shitty and racist the live community is, why would people want to walk their avatar around in a virtual word and socialize with them?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ultimo hombre said:
Where's my 3D trophy room Sony!

painey

Ultimo hombre said:

I dont think thats how it will be done, its more awkward than the current system with no benefits.

watership

If we can walk them around, then the key to me standing this will be the animation. I don't mind the Avatars, i just hate the stance they have. Some of the avatar animations are pretty nice for the items in the marketplace.

Also the games should be free. :D

You can tell who hasn't been in home for a while, with their antiquated comments. Home is much much more than what was initially introduced.

Arnie

The way he describes it is akin to the games themselves being free and the Xbox Live members just stumbling across them. This is obviously never going to happen so it makes me wonder if each person's games room can be accessed by their friends. For example, my friends will never buy Frogger, however I have Frogger. In this case they will come over to my Gamesroom and play it, because it's free. They may then love the game and decide to buy it for themselves (because presumably the games room will have a time restriction). In this way Microsoft and XBLA sales in general will benefit from this.

gluv65 said:
You can tell who hasn't been in home for a while, with their antiquated comments. Home is much much more than what was initially introduced.

So no waiting in line to play games? No loading and installing? No guys pretending to be girls?

Why For?

Banned
gluv65 said:

What, it works now?

Do I still have to download and update each room before I walk in?

Then it hasn't changed for shit.

Owzers

gluv65 said:

Most people haven't been in home for awhile.

Davedough said:

Yeah. And since I wasn't willing to pay another $50 for my nephew to play online while he stayed with me, my punishment was for him to systematically destroy my reputation over the course of a few months.

As for a Home-style arcade: stupid, but probably effective. Just make it free for Gold members (yeah, right) and give me an alternate non-stupid, fast interface (also probably unlikely).

Top Bottom