• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES: Xbox 360 Game Room

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why For? said:
What, it works now?

Do I still have to download and update each room before I walk in?

Then it hasn't changed for shit.
Of course you have to download each room.
Do you think they magically pop into your PS3 once created?

OldJadedGamer has it right though, those things will never change.

Still, Home is a lot better (more things to actually do now), and there's tons of people in it buying useless junk.

Arnie

abacab driver said:
I wouldnt be surprised if you'll be able to do stuff like wave and do silly gestures to people in this space with natal.
If Microsoft didn't utilize Natal in this way I would be shocked.

Hell I would pay for Natal simply to be able to simulate Avatar masturbation in front of complete randoms.

abacab driver said:
I wouldnt be surprised if you'll be able to do stuff like wave and do silly gestures to people in this space with natal.
I hope so. With the Xbox Live crowd, they're never going to be friendly, polite gestures are they :lol

I hope that a bulletin board or joinable interest group on Live is in the works this year for those looking for public online matches playing those retail and Arcade games whose communities have evaporated or moved on to other newer titles. (Including Indie titles in that list or group would also be awesome!) The seemingly obvious benefit to visualized spaces for a group of games is to advertise the intentions and interests of those wanting to play the older and/or more niche titles as well as the general set of active perennially active games them more clearly to any other person wanting to play them or, at least, interested in the idea of buying them.

Mr Jared

Everyone keeps saying "This is their Home rip-off," but the thing is, Microsoft is already besting Home with Avatars and the party system alone, and they're doing it by overcoming the biggest obstacle of Home (other than, you know, the horrifically bad word-of-mouth): the download.

This is how I see it playing out, because it's what they're already doing. You boot up your Xbox and you start a party with your friends. From here, you can watch movies together via Netflix, play social games in a massively online environment (1 vs 100) and soon, interact with one another in a virtual environment in apps like the Game Room and JoyRide.

Microsoft is basically giving users the promises of Home, only a smaller, more intimate scale and instead of wasting hours downloading massive amounts of data and roaming about a sterile environment only to get harassed by complete strangers, you're downloading these bite-sized apps with your friends, while interacting with the larger community through the games themselves

There's no need for Microsoft to "rip-off" Home with a full-blown environment. Why waste millions of dollars on something hardly anyone will download when they can hit you up immediately (and successfully) with the microtransactions for a tiny fraction of the cost?

Think about it.. what were the promises of Home that people clamored for? The ability to stream and share media with friends, interact in a virtual environment with custom avatars and most importantly, play games together. There's no need for them to step into that arena when the built-in 360 dashboard and some apps can take care of all that.

Trust me, I'm an expert on the subject :lol

Why For?

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Of course you have to download each room.
Do you think they magically pop into your PS3 once created?

OldJadedGamer has it right though, those things will never change.

Still, Home is a lot better (more things to actually do now), and there's tons of people in it buying useless junk.

Since everything downloads, can't they leave the data on the hard drive? Or give the OPTION to use the hard drive for that sort of thing?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The problem with Home's arcade is that they're sucky games. I see the Atari logo in those shots, so this could be win. Well, if they also circumvent some of the issues with Home. And if Atari's involved it definitely isn't going to be free :p

Centipede does rock.

Why For?

Banned
Mr Jared said:
Everyone keeps saying "This is their Home rip-off," but the thing is, Microsoft is already besting Home with Avatars and the party system alone, and they're doing it by overcoming the biggest obstacle of Home (other than, you know, the horrifically bad word-of-mouth): the download.

This is how I see it playing out, because it's what they're already doing. You boot up your Xbox and you start a party with your friends. From here, you can watch movies together via Netflix, play social games in a massively online environment (1 vs 100) and soon, interact with one another in a virtual environment in apps like the Game Room and JoyRide.

Microsoft is basically giving users the promises of Home, only a smaller, more intimate scale and instead of wasting hours downloading massive amounts of data and roaming about a sterile environment only to get harassed by complete strangers, you're downloading these bite-sized apps with your friends, while interacting with the larger community through the games themselves

There's no need for Microsoft to "rip-off" Home with a full-blown environment. Why waste millions of dollars on something hardly anyone will download when they can hit you up immediately (and successfully) with the microtransactions for a tiny fraction of the cost?

Think about it.. what were the promises of Home that people clamored for? The ability to stream and share media with friends, interact in a virtual environment with custom avatars and most importantly, play games together. There's no need for them to step into that arena when the built-in 360 dashboard and some apps can take care of all that.

Trust me, I'm an expert on the subject :lol

Sounds logical.

Hopefully you're right and this is just an extension of the party system, that allows free Flash type games to play with friends?

Maybe the Free Snowball fight game they had for Christmas was a hint?

Mr Jared

Why For? said:
Sounds logical.

Hopefully you're right and this is just an extension of the party system, that allows free Flash type games to play with friends?

Yeah, exactly. I always thought of those little apps like the snowball fight and the football toss as Microsoft sort of testing the interest levels of NXE based mini-environments.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the Game Room will most likely be a friends-only environment. It'd definitely solve the whole "only one person can play per machine" bit (If you can control the Game Room, you could easily double, or even triple the game of your choice in theory) and again, it'd be a much friendlier environment for the audience they're aiming for.

KingJ2002

game room is a great idea... look at the xbox live arcade space in the dashboard now... it's not even getting as much ad space as last.fm.

having a mini arcade room will be a good way to bring back that retro feel about most of these games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
They better restrict this to friends only; I've always liked virtual chat worlds. I'm on IRC a lot, and having avatars and ability to do other stuff than pure typing would be nice.

I liked the waiting lobby of PS3's Hot Shots Holf for instance, though the things you could do was very much limited (like kicking a ball around).

MMOs are also places where there are some people who socialize more than they play.

I've always thought Home was a good idea, but with terrible implementation. Hopefully MS can provide a better experience. And it's a shame Nintendo is so backwards about the internet, otherwise we would've gotten something like this (I know I'm jumping to conclusions) and Home already, but with Miis.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why For? said:
Since everything downloads, can't they leave the data on the hard drive? Or give the OPTION to use the hard drive for that sort of thing?
That's what it does currently.
You only have to redownload a room you've downloaded previously if it's had a major update.

RBH

cjelly said:
I wonder if Microsoft will wheel out Sparrow again this year.
t02agn.jpg

mc9f6q.jpg

Probably the hardest I've ever laughed while on GAF. :lol

Why For?

Banned
dallow_bg said:
That's what it does currently.
You only have to redownload a room you've downloaded previously if it's had a major update.

I'll jump back in soon.

Haven't been in there for a good 6 months.

Very sterile and you get a horrible iloated feeling despite so many people being around. Probably because they're anonymous I guess.

For some reason, PS3 owners don't use headsets. I don't know why I bought the PS3 Bluetooth headset.

besiktas1

This will be coupled with Natal, you walk around talk and when time to play you use an imaginary arcade stick. It will be called the re birth of the arcade, including pay per play games....

i base this on nothing.

Why For? said:
For some reason, PS3 owners don't use headsets. I don't know why I bought the PS3 Bluetooth headset.

Don't worry, last time I was in Home they killed off voice chat anyway and made it all text.

Why For? said:

I guess it kind of was but Microsoft have done 3/4 of those games, they did one with a globe where you put your friends in it and shake it, the snow ball one, a Madden one and another one with throwing something and getting your friends avatar in a bucket of water or something?

Problem was no-one noticed them so they thought the snowball one was a new addition...

steverulez said:
I guess it kind of was but Microsoft have done 3/4 of those games, they did one with a globe where you put your friends in it and shake it, the snow ball one, a Madden one and another one with throwing something and getting your friends avatar in a bucket of water or something?

Problem was no-one noticed them so they thought the snowball one was a new addition...

Yeah I played all of those.

No point in having a score if you can't compare it to your friends... Also the games were lame.

EDIT:

Damn it Microsoft it's been years since you have had Live and there still aren't that many good board games... and the ones that are there cost too much.

I want a simple Monopoly Arcade game. Where is Risk Arcade? Pictionary Arcade would be wonderful if it was packed in with a Natal Purchase... hell you could probably just make it Cranium with what Natal can do... So much miss opportunity on the Arcade when it comes to board games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why For? said:
I'll jump back in soon.

Haven't been in there for a good 6 months.

Very sterile and you get a horrible iloated feeling despite so many people being around. Probably because they're anonymous I guess.

If you didn't think it was at least "interesting" back then, you probably won't enjoy it now.
I don't.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2010/jan10/01-06CESKeynote.mspx

Xbox Gaming and “Project Natal”

Xbox plays a multifaceted role in Microsoft’s digital entertainment strategy from gaming to changing the face of social entertainment, and Bach highlighted exciting plans for 2010:

• An lineup of what promises to be blockbuster exclusive games including Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, Crackdown 2, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, and Fable 3
  • The release of what will likely be the biggest game of the year, Halo Reach, continuing the Halo saga
  • The new Game Room on Xbox LIVE, which will be the place to relive the glory days of arcade games, with over 1000 games being released throughout the next three years.

Then Bach gave a behind-the-scenes look at the work behind “Project Natal,” the controller-free gaming experience that tracks movement of the body and facial expressions, and even responds to your voice.

Scheduled to be available in holiday season 2010, “Project Natal” is only the most recent example of Microsoft’s work creating natural user interfaces. Other examples include Microsoft Surface, Windows Touch and Ford SYNC, the voice-controlled, in-car communications and entertainment system that Microsoft jointly developed with Ford.

It's developed by Krome Studios the developers of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Viva Pinata: Party Animals and Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes.

Also, notice how the avatars in video are all older men... This one is marketed at your dads or those of us who are into something a little bit retro.

AZ Greg

So has there been any word on whether previously purchased XBLA games will get incorporated into this? Or, for example, would I need to buy another copy of say Galaga?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
snoopeasystreet said:
It's developed by Krome Studios the developers of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Viva Pinata: Party Animals and Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes.

Also, notice how the avatars in video are all older men... This one is marketed at your dads.
Welp, that explains gazunta's twitter I guess.

I assume its going to cost money to download each game individually, no?

soco

snoopeasystreet said:
Also, notice how the avatars in video are all older men... This one is marketed at your dads or those of us who are into something a little bit retro.

wasn't one of the guys supposed to be steve balmer?

Games For Windows: Live as well!? Mind blown, guess that means avatars for GFWL?

I still don't understand why you wouldn't just prefer to choose your game from a list but if I have to put up with avatars to get free games then I guess I don't mind.

Edit: 1000 games? Hmm, this might just get interesting then, at least allow me to choose them from a list and since you're supporting it cross platform make one purchase allow me to play the game on both platforms. Then I'm fully on board.

abacab driver said:

they'll probably not allow that cos ppl will be "dirty" with gestures.

CadetMahoney said:
they'll probably not allow that cos ppl will be "dirty" with gestures.
Treat it like the Vision camera video feed with a default or forced Friends-only visible limitation while canned anims and other emotes are available for public consumption.

Top Bottom