• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chick-fil-A Again Raising Money for an Anti-Marriage Equality Group, just not directly
http://www.advocate.com/business/20...-money-very-week-anti-marriage-equality-group

Although Chick-fil-A supposedly assured a Chicago alderman that it would stop donating to antigay groups, this week it held a fundraiser for one anyway.

The fast food chain promised in a letter to Alderman Proco "Joe" Moreno, reported by the Chicago Phoenix, that it would end giving to any groups with "political agendas," implying it had stopped a practice that had led to about $5 million for antigay groups. But there might be a loophole.

Although the company's foundation might not be donating directly, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy tweeted a photo on Tuesday from the 2012 WinShape Ride for the Family. He wrote alongside the picture of a pack of motorcyclists: "WinShape Ride for the Family bikers locked and loaded for 200 mile ride to Wilmington out of Charleston."

That long ride is a fundraiser for an organization that helps lobby against marriage equality. Registration forms for the event ask that checks be sent, not to the WinShape Foundation that Chick-fil-A operates, but directly to the Marriage and Family Foundation at 5200 Buffington Road in Atlanta, Ga.

The forms say the ride fee is $3,500 for each individual or couple. But sponsorship packages posted online show that organizations could pledge $5,000 for "silver" status, $10,000 for "gold" or $15,000 and more to reach "platinum." The Chick-fil-A logo accompanies everything, and so does the WinShape name, but it's unclear whether the foundation continues to make donations.

The Marriage and Family Foundation was not only included in the investigation by Equality Matters of the fast-food chain's questionable giving history, it was identified as the top antigay recipient in 2010. WinShape had given more than $1 million to the group in 2010 alone.

didn't take long

Sai-kun

Banned
Ugh.

UgcN5.gif

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There are so many groups that it was/is easy for CFA to state that it would stop donating to one, and continue to help another indirectly. It was bound to happen. I'm sure they're supporting multiple groups.

So, to recap: Chick-Fil-A is no longer contributing directly to anti-gay groups, but are now contributing to groups that contribute to anti-gay groups.

So not only are they still contributing to bigotry, they don't have the balls to directly do it anymore now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, to recap: Chick-Fil-A is no longer contributing directly to anti-gay groups, but are now contributing to groups that contribute to anti-gay groups.

So not only are they still contributing to bigotry, they don't have the balls to directly do it anymore now.
Well, the Marriage and Family Foundation was founded by Don Cathy, VP of CFA and son of Dan Cathy, CFA founder.

Not all the supporters of Chick-fil-A advocated their stance/comments on the basis of themselves being opposed to same sex marriage, at least that isn't what they said. There was several, including public figures like Huckabee, who defended the company on the basis of freedom of speech.
Uh, yes, as a smokescreen for their position on same-sex marriage.

Huckabee, for instance, not only supports the Federal Marriage Amendment and denies gay people the right to civil unions or adoption, he actually doesn't believe it is possible to commit a hate crime against LGBT people, and argued twenty years ago that AIDS sufferers should be quarantined.

Wilsongt

Chick-fil-A CEO Denies Giving 'Concessions' to Open Chicago Restaurant

Chick fil-A has "made no … concessions" regarding its support of groups that oppose gay marriage, company CEO Dan Cathy said in a statement that was posted online by Mike Huckabee, denying a statement by a Chicago alderman that the company said it would reevaluate its policies in the face of a move by city officials to bar Chick-fil-A from opening a restaurant there.

"Chick-fil-A made no such concessions, and we remain true to who we are and who we have been," Cathy said in the statement. "There continues to be erroneous implications in the media that Chick-fil-A changed our practices and priorities in order to obtain permission for a new restaurant in Chicago. That is incorrect."

Scumbags.

Demon Ice

Banned
http://www.advocate.com/business/20...thy-assures-mike-huckabee-nothing-has-changed

Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy spoke with Mike Huckabee on Friday to assure him that nothing has changed about his restaurant chain's antigay ways.

Huckabee is the organizer of the "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" that supposedly set a sales record for the fast-food company. The Fox News host and failed presidential candidate rallied thousands to defend a series of comments Cathy made, in which he called same-sex marriage "twisted" and seemed to cop to his company foundation's history of more than $5 million in donations to antigay groups by declaring cavalierly "guilty as charged."

Then a Chicago alderman named Proco "Joe" Moreno claimed he was finally going to relent and allow Chick-fil-A to expand to his ward because company officials had agreed to end donations to antigay groups and drafted an anti-discrimination statement that was sent to local operators. That statement, titled "Chick-fil-A: Who We Are," was posted on the company's website this week and set off backlash from those hordes of "Appreciation Day" believers. Now Cathy wants to clarify that, no, the company doesn't have any such agreement.

"There continues to be erroneous implications in the media that Chick-fil-A changed our practices and priorities in order to obtain permission for a new restaurant in Chicago. That is incorrect," he said in a statement posted on Huckabee's website. "Chick-fil-A made no such concessions, and we remain true to who we are and who we have been."

That seems to have satisfied Huckabee, who wrote in response, "I talked earlier today personally with Dan Cathy, CEO of Chick-fil-A about the new reports that Chick-fil-A had capitulated to demands of the supporters of same sex marriage. This is not true."

Welp, that was fun while it lasted. At least we got some hilarious Christian rage on their FB page. Always entertaining.

Kusagari

What the hell was the point of this whole thing?

Did CFA tell Moreno that to purposefully troll their supporters and then go "lol nope he's lying"?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How can two parties have a meeting about this, come to an agreement, and then have two different interpretations of what was agreed upon?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Kettch

That statement, titled "Chick-fil-A: Who We Are," was posted on the company's website this week and set off backlash from those hordes of "Appreciation Day" believers. Now Cathy wants to clarify that, no, the company doesn't have any such agreement.

Chick-fil-a getting backlash from anti-gay groups over "Who they are". I can't be the only one one to find this amusing.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So to their fundie supporters it's OK for the company to be run by a bunch of liars as long as they hate the gays?

coldfoot

Banned
I'd rather eat from Los Pollos Hermanos than CFA if it were a real restaurant chain.
Being anti-marriage equality is worse than being a front for distributing drugs for me.

coldfoot

Banned
It's not just marriage though. CFA donates to groups that oppose all of their rights.
I stand corrected, it's even worse then I thought. Just being against marriage equality would be enough to hate anyone who eats there supporting that belief for all eternity for me.

Enron

Banned
i would like to see some data (although I know cfa will never ever release any) to see if that boycott had ANY effect at all. I end up at cfa a good bit for lunch, and the parking lots were just as full as they'd always been (anecdotal!)

I didn't think cfa would have changed their stance when I heard about that "rumor" on NPR the other day, and it looks like my initial feeling was right. Didn't think it was a business decision, as it didn't seem to be hurting their business at all.

i would like to see some data (although I know cfa will never ever release any) to see if that boycott had ANY effect at all. I end up at cfa a good bit for lunch, and the parking lots were just as full as they'd always been (anecdotal!)

I didn't think cfa would have changed their stance when I heard about that "rumor" on NPR the other day, and it looks like my initial feeling was right. Didn't think it was a business decision, as it didn't seem to be hurting their business at all.

Even if its just as busy at your CFA during lunchtime, doesn't mean its not slower at others. Or that other, non-peak, hours are slower at your CFA

I'm sure it's had some effect. Besides Mike Huckabee day, I can't imagine people are actually eating there more than they have been because of this. The anti-gay people and the DGAF people are still going to eat there at their normal rate. However, a lot less people are eating there now because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom