• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Fast food chain Chick-Fil-A has been accused of being anti-gay for supporting organizations such as Focus on the Family, which oppose gay marriage.

Company president Dan Cathy said this week that his company is “guilty as charged.”

In an interview with the Baptist Press, Cathy said Chick-Fil-A is “very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

The chain, founded in 1946 by Cathy’s father, S. Truett Cathy, donated a total of $2 million to anti-gay groups including the Marriage & Family Foundation and the Family Research Council in 2010, according to Business Insider.

Chick-Fil-A gave another $2 million to many of the same organizations in 2009.

The donations, made through the company’s charity organization, WinShape, prompted Boston’s Northeastern University to scrap plans for a Chick-Fil-A on its campus earlier this year.

Despite a corporate statement declaring that the purpose of Chick-Fil-A is “to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us,” Cathy told the Baptist Press that it isn’t a Christian business.

Christianity “is about a personal relationship,” he said. “Companies are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are. But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...y-charged-company-president-article-1.1116841

Ya know what, I "respect" that kind of honesty about bigotry. I sooooooo tired of this passive-aggressive, devil's advocate mickey mouse BULLSHIT masquerading racism/sexism/homophobia that goes around on GAF and all over the internet, that just straight up honesty is kinda refreshing. I know that's an odd thing to say, but I like people to say what they feel.

JGS

Banned
Their stand is about as surprising now as it was a year ago.

I don't know if the chicken is blessed by God or not, but they sure are tasty.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't want to get too involved in this discussion, especially in this thread, but I just want to say that believing marriage is between one man and one woman does not equate to rabid hatred of practicing homosexuals. I am a Christian who believes that marriage is a holy sacrament established by God, partially as a mirror for the relationship between Christ and the church, which is why a same-sex relationship cannot really be called marriage. But I interact on a daily basis with open homosexuals in my daily life as a musician, and am good friends with many of them. Simply because we have differing viewpoints doesn't mean we have to hate each other, guys. Don't overreact at Chick-Fil-A's position here.

Marriage existed before people revered your god so at best your god stole it and tied it in with bigotry and hatred for a nice package of have at you.

Koyuga

I'm glad there aren't any locations in Oregon. I think there used to be one in Portland, though... sometimes I like to think that we drove them out.

Didn't know this. Won't ever be eating there again. Their shit is way overpriced anyway

Edit: Christians trying to claim ownership of marriage especially considering the historical reasons for marriage just make lol all over the place. Holy sacrament my ass.

Dude Abides

Banned
Maybe they should worry less about who other people love and more about improving the quality of their lumps of gristle so they don't have to load it up with MSG to make people like it.

The Facebook page for the company posted a response about their anti-gay stance:

The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

https://www.facebook.com/ChickfilA/posts/10151226208515101

And there are people supporting their stance in the comments section...

Korey

I haven't gone there since I heard about this (a year or two ago).

It's not that hard to not eat somewhere.

A friend just posted something along the lines of:

At least Fred Willard wasn't caught doing something really embarrassing, like eating at Chic-fil-a.

Ya know what, I "respect" that kind of honesty about bigotry. I sooooooo tired of this passive-aggressive, devil's advocate mickey mouse BULLSHIT masquerading racism/sexism/homophobia that goes around on GAF and all over the internet, that just straight up honesty is kinda refreshing. I know that's an odd thing to say, but I like people to say what they feel.
I feel the same way. If they didn't just come out and say it then I might make the mistake of giving them some of my money someday.

I assume that In N Out's position on this subject is very similar to Chik-fil-a

The family that owns In N Out is very, very private. I've not seen any stories about using their wealth to fund anti-gay groups, either. If they hold that gays shouldn't marry they haven't said it very loudly.

Dali

That reads like a satirical piece.

Glorify God through chicken sandwiches, praise the Lord!

Have you had their chicken sandwiches? They taste like they've been touched by God so why not praise him for them? And their new ketchup packet technology is like some shit Cable brought back from the future or something.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking disgusting. Will shit on their chicken next time.

Koyuga

Do people really have so much trouble finding an alternative or hell, I dunno, making their own chicken sandwiches that they cannot live without their chick-fil-a?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
What's a Chick-Fil-A?

We don't have those in Canada... lol.

Kapura

Banned
Wasn't this common knowledge? anybody still surprised by the owners of chic-fil-a has not done any research on the owners of chic-fil-a

I don't hate gays, but I do like the spices on their chicken. Not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom