• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

If I lived in an area where they existed, I'd never buy there again and tell all of my friends to never go there. But since I don't live anywhere near one there's nothing I can do. What a shifty set of beliefs. I hope they get a lot of flack for this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Facebook page for the company posted a response about their anti-gay stance:

https://www.facebook.com/ChickfilA/posts/10151226208515101

And there are people supporting their stance in the comments section...

A fast-food joint having a mission and wanting to influence people outside of the corporate sense is a bit creepy actually. As is the other statement about how individuals can be lost and saved. If nothing else you really have ideas above your station, and it's all a bit underhand.

The first line in the Facebook response is a straight spin on the some of my best friends are gay/black etc. line.

As they are fully embracing it now they should instruct staff to add "Would you like some bigotry with that?" when taking orders.

I don't care about what they believe. But if they use the profits I give them to fund things I disagree with, I'm going to stop contributing their profits.

Dunk#7

I feel the same way. If they didn't just come out and say it then I might make the mistake of giving them some of my money someday.

They have always been a Christian organization and thus why they are closed on Sundays so that their employees can attend church.

They are not compromising their morals to make a buck. They have always stood by their beliefs and that is why the business has done so well.

They have the most friendly employees and they even walk around the dining area and will refill your drink at some locations. You will often hear Christian music playing inside as well.

I will continue to enjoy their tasty chicken. I don't think your pulling of support is going to hurt them.

Korey

My morals or tasty chicken? A desperate struggle roars at my core GAF.

Won't prevent me from enjoying their food. Think/Believe whatever you want owners of the company.

In Chick-Fil-A's case it's not just about "what the owner thinks". The company actively donates to anti-gay causes and legislation. Your money is literally being taken and transferred to fund the active oppression of a minority class of Americans.

Keikaku

Do some of you guys really value a sandwich more than withholding support from someone who wants to deprive people of equal rights?
Looking like a solid "Yes" on this front. Unless some people actively experience discrimination, they won't know what it's like I guess.

Empathy, how does it work :/

I dont understand why companies say things like this.

Religion man.

I don't care about what they believe. But if they use the profits I give them to fund things I disagree with, I'm going to stop contributing their profits.

image.php

Lamel

Banned
I mean, they are closed on sundays. Why is this surprising to anyone? If they are willing to let go a whole weekend day's worth of profits for their beliefs, I wouldn't be surprised that they are religious in other senses too.

Bummed that Chick-Fil-A is opening in my town. I'm definitely not eating there, but I'm sure there will be a massive line when they open up.

jaxword

They have the most friendly employees and they even walk around the dining area and will refill your drink at some locations. You will often hear Christian music playing inside as well.

Wrap it up, homosexuals. Because the employees give you drinks and play Christian music, this means they're right.

Acerac

Banned
Oh, ok. I thought it was mine. Still, I have to ask why he's ok with his money supporting an entity that spreads bigotry and promotes inequality?

I'd guess it's because he is not being the one targeted by the bigotry.

Eh, it's no different than reading Lovecraft and being Jewish.
Reading lovecraft funds anti-jewish legislation? Learn something new every day I guess.

My morals or tasty chicken? A desperate struggle roars at my core GAF.

I'm a Chris Benoit fan, so I'm expert at separating the entertainer from the entertainment. Chick-fil-A has, by far, the best fast food treatment I've ever had(at least the ones around here). Just some of the nicest, fastest, most accurate service you'll get. And those spicy chicken sandwiches....mmmmmm.

Damn you, Chick-fil-A...why you so good? *cries into big pitcher of delicious lemonade*

TommyT

So you're fine contributing to the profits of bigots, who most likely use those profits to spread bigotry?

Yes (to the first) because just as sure as you are they they spread bigotry I'm sure you're doing the same (contributing to the profits of bigots) every day unknowingly - whether they be public or kept to themselves.

That said, I'd wager that supporting the company through purchase of food does more good (see: their employees and their families they feed, charities to which they donate, comfort to those of a similar religion/stance on God, etc.) than bad. So until there is more to prove otherwise then I'll keep enjoying their food and funding whatever it is they're doing with the money... which I believe is more good than not.

In Chick-Fil-A's case it's not just about "what the owner thinks". The company actively donates to anti-gay causes and legislation. Your money is literally being taken and transferred to fund the active oppression of a minority class of Americans.

I understand that and am aware of it (I found this out many years ago when I wondered why the heck they weren't open on Sunday's and I was wanting me some waffle fries!) and think that is rather unfortunate that they do that and I would prefer that they don't. However if it meant putting however many people that work for them out of jobs, their other 'good' deeds not being done because no one was eating there then I wouldn't be for that either. A double-edged sword indeed. I don't think the bad outweighs the good though overall as a whole to warrant not eating there.

Oh, ok. I thought it was mine. Still, I have to ask why he's ok with his money supporting an entity that spreads bigotry and promotes inequality?

I get why people wouldn't - and shouldn't - support this place by eating there, I really do. Being fully behind anti-gay movements is pretty fucked up in this day and age. But at the same time, I think people need to pick their battles. One chicken restaurant isn't going to change the world, at least when it comes to human rights.

Personally, I haven't eaten there, and I probably never will. But I'm not going to hold it against people who actively do eat there.

Hah, one of my friends, who is gay, actually camped out when the newest CFA opened here hoping to get free chicken.

Is your friend a fatass?

I don't think I could eat there if I were gay honestly. I'm considering not eating there now, but damn those are some good nuggets.

Seanspeed

Banned

Yup. Before, I've always just said 'whatever' and ate their anyways, but its really grating on me hearing them just come out and say it like this and knowing that I'm contributing to a terrible cause so actively.

Fuck Chick-Fil-A. I love their food and the customer service is always great, but I dont think I can do it anymore. No more.

Kapura

Banned
Do like many others and eat Chik Fil A and be for gay marriage.

I don't think those are compatible. I mean, if the people who own a company hate the gays, by purchasing a fast food product at fair market price I, in turn, also hate the gays. Isn't that the point of this thread?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't even know if I group it in with "fast-food"

It is a step above all of the others

I'll go there over just about anywhere for lunch if I have to eat out, but yes - their food is SIGNIFICANTLY better tasting (and higher in quality) than just about every fast-food chain I can think of here in Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom