• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungHav

Banned
I would like to try it once to see what the hype was about (and probably not again after that). Honestly, if I had to boycott companies based on morality I might as well be homeless. My damn bank made slave trading money.

Kusagari

Is your friend a fatass?

I don't think I could eat there if I were gay honestly.

Nope. He's ridiculously skinny somehow, which is surprising because he does eat like a fatass.

I think he just doesn't care, but I don't know if I, personally, could eat at a place that willingly states they're against me getting equal rights.

jaxword

I don't think those are compatible. I mean, if the people who own a company hate the gays, by purchasing a fast food product at fair market price I, in turn, also hate the gays. Isn't that the point of this thread?

The point of the thread seems to be that gamers will put aside any moral considerations if the fried chicken tastes good.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok. Chick-Fil-A is run by Christians, the influence is all over their company. Sorry but I dont care what a food chains stance on gay marriage is. Their food is amazing and reasonably priced.

I get why people wouldn't - and shouldn't - support this place by eating there, I really do. Being fully behind anti-gay movements is pretty fucked up in this day and age. But at the same time, I think people need to pick their battles. One chicken restaurant isn't going to change the world, at least when it comes to human rights.
Yes, pick your battles. You have to make compromises, like with Manos' bullshit example of not paying your taxes. Not eating a chicken sandwich is an easy battle to win.

JGS

Banned
I don't think those are compatible. I mean, if the people who own a company hate the gays, by purchasing a fast food product at fair market price I, in turn, also hate the gays. I mean, that's the point of this thread, right?
Of course they are. Do you know how many have served you that don't like you? There are still several people opposed to gay marriage and many companies/executives donating to that cause.

The sandwich doesn't taste any better or worse as a result of a misguided political stance based on a guided religious one.

As I probably said a year ago, it is idiotic to think I hate gay people just because I like a chicken sandwich as if the hate makes it taste better. Of course, I don't think holding to a Biblical definition of marriage is the equivalent of hate to begin with, but that's just warming up old soup.

Kapura

Banned
tJGS: That post was fairly tongue in cheek. I deliberately used shitty reasoning to come to a conclusion I do not support.

Nope. He's ridiculously skinny somehow, which is surprising because he does eat like a fatass.

I think he just doesn't care, but I don't know if I, personally, could eat at a place that willingly states they're against me getting equal rights.

It's not like they refuse to serve people they suspect are homosexuals. This isn't like blacks being forced to drink from separate water fountains. The company makes a profit, and they are free to use their money for whatever they please. History will make fools of them, as it does to us all.

I agree with the guy who said he appreciates their honesty because really, I would rather they just come out with it than dance around the issue like so many others choose to do. I've eaten there before and this doesn't change my desire to continue doing so in the future.

massoluk

Banned
I'm not going to boycott it, since, frankly, it wasn't a good eat to begin with.

I scratch my head when people say marriage is some Christian God things though. Why? Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, Hindus, or Atheist marrying each others don't count?

One of my coworkers is gay and eats at Chik-fil-a. I've always wondered if he knew about this, but I never bothered to ask. As for me, I couldn't live in a world without their tasty chicken.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The point of the thread seems to be that gamers will put aside any moral considerations if the fried chicken tastes good.

So I'm curious...

Say Susie works at Target and is anti-gay. By shopping at Target, you have helped support her hourly wage. If Susie goes and makes a donation to an anti-gay organization, by the logic that is presented in this thread, does that not make YOU a supporter of anti-gay organizations? I mean, you HAVE given money to Target who gives money to its employees who [may] give money to anti-gay organizations.

Seems legit.

I love Chick-fil-a. I have no problem with gay rights. <3

jaxword

I scratch my head when people say marriage is some Christian God things though. Why? Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, Hindus, or Atheist marrying each others don't count?

People lying when it comes to their religious/political stance? Well, that's the first time that's ever happened.

I'll echo the "Good chicken, don't care." sentiment.

The guilt-tripping in this thread is kind of sad. If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said they were anti gay marriage, would you guys stop buying their games? Doubt it!

Yes, pick your battles. You have to make compromises, like with Manos' bullshit example of not paying your taxes. Not eating a chicken sandwich is an easy battle to win.

There are worse things people can do than eating at Chick Fil A. Just because someone eats there doesn't mean they're a hate monger. Like I said, if someone eats there, I'm not going to think less of them or start criticizing them.

Kapura

Banned

Moral considerations? Are the chickens raised on farms that are at night used to beat homosexuals? Does chick-fil-a fly a GOD HATES FAGS flag over every store? Are employees encouraged to call out gay people and berate them?

What a organisation does with its profits is its business. They don't hide it, and it doesn't affect the product. Why should I care if the people on top think that dudes bangin dudes is a sin? Lots of people think that.

bro1

Banned

The guilt-tripping in this thread is kind of sad. If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said they were anti gay marriage, would you guys stop buying their games? Doubt it!

Yes, absolutely. My principles are a bit more important than a video game or a chicken sandwich. Orson Scot Card used to be my favorite author. Used to be.

So I'm curious...

Say Susie works at Target and is anti-gay. By shopping at Target, you have helped support her hourly wage. If Susie goes and makes a donation to an anti-gay organization, by the logic that is presented in this thread, does that not make YOU a supporter of anti-gay organizations? I mean, you HAVE given money to Target who gives money to its employees who [may] give money to anti-gay organizations.

Seems legit.

4874.png

I bet somewhere down the line every penny you spend ends up in the profit margin of a company whose ethics you don't agree with. Money is the root of all evil and all that jazz.

This issue would not cause me to boycott this chain. I definitely care more about a tasty chicken burger than intangibles like what infinitessimal effect me not spending my £2.99 or whatever at this chicken joint would have on their bottom line.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm curious...

Seems legit.

A person and a company are not the same. It's also easier to boycott a company rather every single individual that doesn't support gay rights.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So I'm curious...

Seems legit.

That's a bit of a stretch.

When they state things like this, as a mission, it's more like say the BNP in the UK opening a charity shop. But instead of a charity shop they open a restaurant. Would I eat there? No.

There's a lot of other places to eat, and no matter how good it tasted it would leave a nasty aftertaste.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*sigh*

I wish it was someplace I hated eating so I could mock and boycott them...

DAMNIT CHIK FIL A

Actually yeah, I guess I would. Thanks for making me think about this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmrg.

Cat Party

I normally don't care if people don't want to give something up because of some unsavory part of it. But this is so direct, offensive, and public, that I would think less of someone who kept going to Chick Fil A with knowledge of this guy's position.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I normally don't care if people don't want to give something up because of some unsavory part of it. But this is so direct, offensive, and public, that I would think less of someone who kept going to Chick Fil A with knowledge of this guy's position.

You will be thinking less of many of us who are posting in this thread then. :)

jaxword

Yes, but you were specific with gamers. As if perhaps non-gamers don't feel the same way.

Why can't we just be people? Why do we need some kind of label to fit into your little moralistic box?

What are you even talking about? What moralistic box? It's a gaming forum, hence the term Gamer. If this were a Star Trek forum I'd have said Trekkies, if this were a MLP forum I'd have said bronies, and this is seriously the stupidest possible semantic thing for anyone to get worked up over that you've got to be trolling or pedantic to the point where it may as well be trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom