• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah okay, they've got an anti-gay marriage stance. I don't agree with that, nor do a lot of people.

But you know what I actually observed growing up? Them donating a shit ton of money and food to our local charities and schools. All the time.

So I don't feel bad eating their food for whatever religious stance they take. No, their charitable work does not negate their wrongness, but it strikes more of a balance than most companies. And I feel like my money is going to support their employees and my local organizations more so than some anti-gay agenda. Not that I really think about it that much, because I'm just paying for a goddamn sandwich and not some anti-gay pamphlets to spread around.

Well said

"If you can't do everything, might as well do nothing."

Good to know.

No, his point is that we all pick our battles, and shoving your particular brand of morality down other people's throats doesn't change a thing, it makes you a hypocrite about those things YOU don't care about. We see things wrong with our world every single day, and we can't fix them all. We all weigh these things against our values and morals, yours are not absolute. You're lying to yourself if you think you don't make these kinds of decisions every single day of your life.

Yeah okay, they've got an anti-gay marriage stance. I don't agree with that, nor do a lot of people.

But you know what I actually observed growing up? Them donating a shit ton of money and food to our local charities and schools. All the time.

So I don't feel bad eating their food for whatever religious stance they take. No, their charitable work does not negate their wrongness, but it strikes more of a balance than most companies. And I feel like my money is going to support their employees and my local organizations more so than some anti-gay agenda. Not that I really think about it that much, because I'm just paying for a goddamn sandwich and not some anti-gay pamphlets to spread around.

But consider how much they've donated to anti-gay causes. Specifically, the $2 Million to Prop 8 (there's more, but for sake of discussion, I'm focusing on this). My protest stems from the desire to see them use that money to help benefit more communities, like yours, then furthering a bs political agenda.

btkadams

"If you can't do everything, might as well do nothing."

Good to know.

yeah, what's up with this? it's a hell of a lot easier to boycott a frieed chicken restaurant than all major electronics manufacturers.

how is this more than normal companies? i don't see how it makes them any better. lots of large companies donate to charities and local organizations. the costco in my city (not sure if it's a national policy) donates all extra food to the homeless shelters in town.

I'll echo the "Good chicken, don't care." sentiment.

The guilt-tripping in this thread is kind of sad. If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said they were anti gay marriage, would you guys stop buying their games? Doubt it!
yes, i would stop buying their games.

Sai-kun

Banned

The guilt-tripping in this thread is kind of sad. If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said they were anti gay marriage, would you guys stop buying their games? Doubt it!

Absolutely. If any game company said it, no matter how much I loved their games, I'd never buy another one.

Do some of you guys really value a sandwich more than withholding support from someone who wants to deprive people of equal rights?
that doesn't surprise me that much. what i do find surprising is that companies like ea and capcpom seem to recieve a lot more hate for a lot more (imo) trivial reasons.

fortunately for me, they don't have chick-fil-a here and i've never even tried it to be in such a dilemma.

Bad fucking argument. I would quit supporting Nintendo in a heartbeat if they did that.

njean777

More power to you. I've never eaten there, but if another one of those free offers comes up then I might give them a try. There are other fast-food places that I prefer around where I live that I prefer over spending money at CFA anyways.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Yeah I know, but I couldnt think if anything else at that moment.

jaxword

But consider how much they've donated to anti-gay causes. Specifically, the $2 Million to Prop 8 (there's more, but for sake of discussion, I'm focusing on this). My protest stems from the desire to see them use that money to help benefit more communities, like yours, then furthering a bs political agenda.

I wonder how many people actually know about their donations to anti-gay causes. A lot of people are rationalizing "well my money is probably just going to some employee." Maybe you can post more about their donations and prove them wrong?

Kapura

Banned
Pretty much is. You don't NEED a chicken sandwich.

I want a chicken sandwich, but the only place around is this place, which isn't run by very good people. Do I go?

1. Can't resist urge to get chicken sandwich because I am a zombie for fast food that overrides all other considerations.
2. Don't get a chicken sandwich that day.

This is as about as cut and dry an issue as possible.

You are deluded. It clear that there is no longer a point in keeping up this argument, because subtlety escapes you.

bro1

Banned
Isn't he dead? Dragon Quest or Dan Simmons would be better examples. Which I am sad about.

I loved Dan Simmons early books but he made it easy to stop reading his stuff as his latest books are just awful. What about dragon quest? I haven't played those games in years

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, that's certainly cutting themselves off at the knees.

Chick-Fil-A is shit anyway. Nothing of value lost to me.

Dram

I loved Dan Simmons early books but he made it easy to stop reading his stuff as his latest books are just awful. What about dragon quest? I haven't played those games in years

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride something about there not being a gay marriage option in the remake I think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Absolutely. If any game company said it, no matter how much I loved their games, I'd never buy another one.
Bad fucking argument. I would quit supporting Nintendo in a heartbeat if they did that.
yes, i would stop buying their games.
It's so funny, I feel the same way.

I am feeling uncomfortable dissonance in that I still feel more or less okay buying chik-fil-a; that it's obviously less offensive to me personally than it would be if Nintendo espoused the same positions. I don't know exactly what it is.
Their food tasting good to you is a good enough reason to support bigotry? I can't imagine being that shallow-minded.
I don't like this, however. It isn't that cut and dry.

I think if nothing else, after every visit to Chik-Fil-A from now on, I will leave a comment on this form http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Connect/Contact-Us-CARES telling them that, while I enjoy their food and support their community service and employment practices, I deeply oppose the moral stances held by their executives. Who knows if it will make an impact in the appropriate way, but it could add up.
Fuck those bigoted people and I hope their business crash hard.
This just isn't going to happen. Ah man.

I wonder how many people actually know about their donations to anti-gay causes. A lot of people are rationalizing "well my money is probably just going to some employee." Maybe you can post more about their donations and prove them wrong?

Certainly:

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201111010001

I will admit, I was mistaken before. I thought that the $2 million was in addition to the donations listed here. Still, it's a pretty hefty amount.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Anyone surprised by this hasn't really paid attention to the restaurants while eating there. They are an openly Christian-run organization - they have prayer boxes that customers can drop prayer requests into, even.

They also have the best fast food chicken by far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Certainly:

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201111010001

I will admit, I was mistaken before. I thought that the $2 million was in addition to the donations listed here. Still, it's a pretty hefty amount.
For the lazy, it's these guys that wind up with the money...
WinShape Gave Over $1.7 Million To Anti-Gay Groups. In 2009 alone, WinShape donated $1,733,699 to multiple anti-gay groups:

Marriage & Family Legacy Fund: $994,199
Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
National Christian Foundation: $240,000
Focus On The Family: $12,500
Eagle Forum: $5,000
Exodus International: $1,000
Family Research Council: $1,000
Some of them certainly more despicable than others... but I'd certainly rather my chicken be free some those associations.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Will continue to eat at Chikfila, will continue to vote for/support any measure that comes up regarding the creation of a more equal and just society.

jaxword

You are deluded. It clear that there is no longer a point in keeping up this argument, because subtlety escapes you.

Hope you realize the ol' "I'm done, just gotta get in a last insult" internet debate tactic doesn't convince anyone.

I'm deluded because...I think it's silly you can't resist the urge for a chicken sandwich. Great argument.

Anyone surprised by this hasn't really paid attention to the restaurants while eating there. They are an openly Christian-run organization - they have prayer boxes that customers can drop prayer requests into, even.

They also have the best fast food chicken by far.

They all closing on Sundays is a huge giveaway too. For a nationwide fastfood business that's crazy to think of cutting off revenue with losing an entire day nationwide for other companies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
They all closing on Sundays is a huge giveaway too. For a nationwide fastfood business that's crazy to think of cutting off revenue with losing an entire day nationwide for other companies.

The crazy thing is that they still do extremely well. I'm not sure what the current stats are, but I thought I read that they were expected to eventually pass KFC (as far as top chicken fast food restaurant).

jaxword

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride something about there not being a gay marriage option in the remake I think.

Seriously, Dragon Quest? There was no gay marriage option because the plot REQUIRES the wife to give birth.

That's the worst possible example from the entire video game industry and whoever uses it should be ashamed of themselves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Will continue to eat at Chikfila, will continue to vote for/support any measure that comes up regarding the creation of a more equal and just society.
Same...

I'm trying to figure out why I feel this way though. It's not just that I like their food too much to give it up (although, as fast food options go, they really do have a leg up on the competition).

The Kid

Christian Nutt, in a Gamasutra article on the Shadow Complex controversy brought up a great idea that GayGamer had: if you bought Shadow Complex, donate to a gay-friendly charity enough money so any potential negative effects would be offset. If you eat at Chik Fil A, donate a dollar to a gay-friendly organization or charity. Or donate time to assisting such an organization. That way you become a positive force for gay rights by eating there.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
No, his point is that we all pick our battles, and shoving your particular brand of morality down other people's throats doesn't change a thing, it makes you a hypocrite about those things YOU don't care about. We see things wrong with our world every single day, and we can't fix them all. We all weigh these things against our values and morals, yours are not absolute. You're lying to yourself if you think you don't make these kinds of decisions every single day of your life.

This is a great post and everyone condemning people for continuing to eat at Chikfila should read it.

I don't go often, but I love it as a treat every now and then, I will continue to eat there.

mavs

Seriously, Dragon Quest? There was no gay marriage option because the plot REQUIRES the wife to give birth.

That's the worst possible example from the entire video game industry and whoever uses it should be ashamed of themselves.

No, that wasn't it. I heard something about the creator being a denier of WWII war crimes.

Edit: Not the creator, but this guy. I don't like the games, but it makes me double sad that I bought DQ9.

TommyT

Same...

I'm trying to figure out why I feel this way though. It's not just that I like their food too much to give it up (although, as fast food options go, they really do have a leg up on the competition).

Maybe it has to do with your experience with their quality in food and service? Also that maybe because they're not just some public chain that a la a McDonalds?

I'm sure my money is paying for a sandwich-making hard working employee's paycheck more than funding anti-gay establishments.

I'm sure most of our money after a few rounds eventually funds terrorism or drug lords. Who knows.

Dude Abides

Banned

The only entity shoving morality down people's throats is Chik Fil A. Morality and shitty chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom