• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

old

Look, we all knew we wanted eight with the Power 5 champions most likely getting an automatic bid. Just going to suck we are going to have to wait at least ten years for more than four teams. We would have some interesting matchups with 8 teams.

Adding more teams isn't going to make this easier or end the controversy, in fact it will only increase it. The further down the rankings you go the less separation there is between each team. What little and disputable difference we have to work with to separate teams 4 and 5 will only shrink even more when we're trying to distinguish teams 8 and 9.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yellowjacket overreacted to complaints that Georgia Tech chop blocks, causing everyone else to call them chop block u. This resulted in yellowjacket picking a fight with every person in the thread until he got banned.

That and their constant cut blocks look ridiculous and are worthy of ridicule.

Why are option teams so likely to rely on cut blocks anyway?

I get the backs utilizing them, but seeing a 300lb olineman constantly flopping onto his belly is just dumb.

Adding more teams isn't going to make this easier or end the controversy, in fact it will only increase it. The further down the rankings you go the less separation there is between each team. What little and disputable difference we have to work with to separate teams 4 and 5 will only shrink even more when we're trying to distinguish teams 8 and 9.

Agreed. The good thing about this year us that Alabama, Oregon, and FSU all get to go. The other 3 teams haven't sufficiently distinguished themselves, mostly because of weak out of conference scheduling.

It will be a good thing if this forces teams to schedule better so the resume comparison is a more meaningful measure instead of only 2 top 25 encounters in a year.

Can you imagine the debate of who the top 2 teams should be this year?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
:jnc at Matt Millen. Talking about FSU and Jameis Winston - "They have holes, probably more than the other teams, but, they have a guy who still finds a way to win, whether it's in the courtroom or whether it's on the football field. That guy is good!"

ag-my001

Agreed. The good thing about this year us that Alabama, Oregon, and FSU all get to go. The other 3 teams haven't sufficiently distinguished themselves, mostly because of weak out of conference scheduling.

It will be a good thing if this forces teams to schedule better so the resume comparison is a more meaningful measure instead of only 2 top 25 encounters in a year.

Can you imagine the debate of who the top 2 teams should be this year?

This might be the silver lining we hope for, that schools start upping their OOC schedule to tilt the scale for spots 3 & 4.

Unfortunately, we'll instead probably get the scenario that makes people think that conference championship games and tv ratings are the determining factor.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Baylor has the best win.

TCU has the best loss.

Ohio State has the worst loss, but has beaten more teams with winning records than either TCU or Baylor.

I legitimately feel sorry for the playoff committee.

thefro

Conference champs should not get autobids. Conference championships don't give any weight to OOC games, giving autobids to those teams renders those games meaningless since you can lose them without concern, or just schedule FCS cupcakes and no one can complain.

It makes sense to use the conference championship in the case of a tie-breaker like Baylor/TCU, or if the last spot comes down to two teams and one happens to be a conference champ and one isn't. It doesn't make sense to automatically put in a team that could have as many as 4 losses (or more, imagine a 2011 Cal situation but they get the upset, then you have a 7-6 team playing in the playoff over plenty of more deserving teams).

If you have round 1 at the home sites of the better seeded team non-conference scheduling still matters a lot. You're going to want to be a Top 4 team to get home-field.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The only way a conference champion gets left out of an 8 team playoff is if they suck anyway. There should be no auto berths.

Kacar

Rewatching the game on BTN.

I have NEVER seen a safety run so far out of position as Wiscys did on Ezekiels 81 yard td run. We pulled one linemen and he started sprinting to the sideline.

Cloudy

Banned
:jnc at Matt Millen. Talking about FSU and Jameis Winston - "They have holes, probably more than the other teams, but, they have a guy who still finds a way to win, whether it's in the courtroom or whether it's on the football field. That guy is good!"

I actually find that offensive. For the last time, the guy was never even arrested!

Talon

That and their constant cut blocks look ridiculous and are worthy of ridicule.

Why are option teams so likely to rely on cut blocks anyway?

I get the backs utilizing them, but seeing a 300lb olineman constantly flopping onto his belly is just dumb.
Alex Gibbs implemented cut blocking with his O-line units when he was pioneering zone blocking because it took defensive linemen out of the play immediately. It was also (I think there was a quote on this from Gibbs circa 2004) a way to get lighter (read: shittier) linemen to be more effective in the running game. Go look at Terrell Davis highlights, and you'll see two or three defensive players just lying on the field right at the line of scrimmage.

Guys are smarter (and I would argue more athletic) nowadays and know to jump and avoid it, but it was brutally effective for a while at the pro level.

Beant

Since my team shit the bed(and was expected to) this year I really have no stake in this #4 spot shenanigans, but damn I bet being a TCU, Baylor, or tOSU fan would be nerve-wracking right about now.

Also I dont want bama vs FSU first round, might as well give bama a bye.

New reason the polls are stupid: They're trying to guess what the committee is going to do. Before this year, there's 0 chance a team would win 55-3 and drop, no matter what the teams behind them did.

I legitimately feel sorry for the playoff committee.

Don't feel sorry, they created a playoff that'll probably be as flawed and controversial as the BCS.

New reason the polls are stupid: They're trying to guess what the committee is going to do. Before this year, there's 0 chance a team would win 55-3 and drop, no matter what the teams behind them did.

No doubt. It's amusing to watch, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I see the actual selection show lasts forever, when will the teams actually be announced? Early in the show or late in the show?

Kacar

Ive heard repeatedly the top 4 is announced at 12:45 EST. Early cause they don't want to conflict with the NFL.

The rest I have no clue.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I really hate the kind of society we're becoming. How is it a minority position to give a person who was not even arrested or charged the presumption of innocence?

All the weirdness involving the TPD led everyone to feel much better about assuming he is guilty. Which is to be expected.

Plus all the idiocy Winston has been involved with since has just served to cement everybody's assumptions.

Cloudy

Banned
All the weirdness involving the TPD led everyone to feel much better about assuming he is guilty. Which is to be expected.

Plus all the idiocy Winston has been involved with since has just served to cement everybody's assumptions.

I personally can't make the connection from stealing crab and making sexist jokes to rapist without an arrest or charges (much less a conviction). It's totally unfair and irresponsible

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Without an eight team playoff I propose this system - First, understand that OOC conference schedules are really too small a sample size to definitively conclude anything about how strong a conference is. Second, schools set up OOC conference schedules years ahead of time and have different priorities when they do so. Third, we need to understand and differentiate between who "deserves to go" (their record) and who we think "is the best" (eyeball test, margin of victory, and how they are playing lately). Too often these two concepts get muddled together with bias creeping in and giving more weight to one over the other in any otherwise sane discussion. Just separate them completely.

The four spots should all go to power 5 conference champs regardless of their records. Teams with fewer in-conference losses make it over teams with more (yes, all conferences need to play same number of in-conference games). If teams have an equal number of in conference losses then the first tie-breaker is how many wins they have against OOC power 5 conference teams. If there are still unsettled spots then team's names are just drawn from a hat.

For this year that means we would have:
IN
FSU (no losses)
tOSU (no losses)

Two drawn from the proverbial hat
Oregon (one loss, one OOC power 5 win)
Alabama (one loss, one OOC power 5 win)
TCU (one loss, one OOC power 5 win)

OUT
Baylor (one loss, no OOC power 5 win)

No committee even needed so far. I'd be tempted to add another tie-breaker before the hat and that would be "number of power 5 OOC games scheduled".

Once the teams are established, a committee can then rank them by how strong they think they are. So teams that are higher on the list of qualifiers might not be seeded as high as teams that are lower on this list of qualifiers.

Anyways, this system removes the bias to a large extent and rewards teams for winning their conferences and playing tougher OOC games.

KingGondo

Banned
There's speculation that OSU's Bedlam win devalued Baylor and TCU's wins over OU so much that they could both be left out.

That would be hilarious (although I feel slightly bad for TCU who I think is a legit awesome team).

Kacar

I like who you have in but we lost a game.

At least we in the proverbial pot tho!

Edit:wait, we aint even in that pot damn.

Edit2: damn i didn't read. i see what you are saying now. conference losses.

Ryuuroden

Hasn't basketball playoff committees established that your OOC opponent scheduling matters and how you do during the 2nd half of the season also matters more than early in the season. It would not surprise me if the committee puts less weight on a week 2 VT loss then you may think. Another reason playoffs exist is to open the opportunity to teams that may stumble at the start. OSU scheduled 4 FBS teams for its OOC and played 9 conference games including its championship. The teams it played have a better win percentage than either TCU or Baylor and both TCU and Baylor padded their OOC schedule with the lower division foes. Virginia Tech was seen as a legit team at the beginning of the season before half its team was wiped out for the year due to injuries and it still finished 6-6. OSU beat Cincinnati which won that new conference and also beat Navy. OSU also played Penn State and Michigan State on the road which if your not in the B1G, you do not know how hard it is to play in Happy Valley. And they played Minnesota in atrocious weather conditions. They also played 1 more game then either TCU or Baylor did.

And guess what? I can probably find as many arguments in favor for TCU and Baylor. The only wrong argument would to say that there is no argument for 2 of those 3 teams and that the top 4 are non debatable.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There's speculation that OSU's Bedlam win devalued Baylor and TCU's wins over OU so much that they could both be left out.

That would be hilarious (although I feel slightly bad for TCU who I think is a legit awesome team).

Do you just hate Baylor for rivalry purposes?

KingGondo

Banned
I think the most fair final 4 is:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU

I don't see how you drop TCU from 3 out of the top 4 because of what happened yesterday.

FSU is the least deserving in spite of being undefeated imo. They simply aren't a dominant team.

KingGondo

Banned
Do you just hate Baylor for rivalry purposes?
They're a small-time school that lucked into relevance with RG3 and Briles, plus their fans are sanctimonious and dorky. If the Big 12 had broken up they'd be in Conference USA right now.

See also: steeples on their parking garages, Waco, Ken Starr, hiring a PR firm to try to get in the playoff, etc.

Draxal

I think the most fair final 4 is:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU

I don't see how you drop TCU from 3 out of the top 4 because of what happened yesterday.

FSU is the least deserving in spite of being undefeated imo. They simply aren't a dominant team.

Because they aren't a conference champ by the bylaws? It was insane to rate them that high anyway, but part of the reason they were rated higher than Baylor is they Baylor did not have a chance to lose to KSU yet.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I see the actual selection show lasts forever, when will the teams actually be announced? Early in the show or late in the show?

Ugh, if that's the case, I assume it wil be near the end, or they start at #1 and slowly work towards #4. They talk about each team's season and storylines, I bet.

After 45 minutes, they will finally get past Alabama and Oregon.

Kacar

Ugh, if that's the case, I assume it wil be near the end, or they start at #1 and slowly work towards #4. They talk about each team's season and storylines, I bet.

After 45 minutes, they will finally get past Alabama and Oregon.

I'm pretty positive the final 4 are announced prior to 1 EST to avoid the NFL games. Then probably storylines and nonsense after.

cashman

Banned
They're a small-time school that lucked into relevance with RG3 and Briles, plus their fans are sanctimonious and dorky. If the Big 12 had broken up they'd be in Conference USA right now.

See also: steeples on their parking garages, Waco, Ken Starr, hiring a PR firm to try to get in the playoff, etc.

Rushing the field twice despite being favorites to win both games.

Kusagari

They did this to themselves by putting TCU above FSU.

There was zero reason to really do it and now if TCU falls out completely it's going to cause a shit storm.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The top seed should be allowed to pick their opponent. That would be awesome. Have a press conference and call out who you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom